Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

The "Israel" of God

Excellent article by David B. Curtis:

http://bereanbiblechurch.org/transcr...ael_of_god.htm

"The reason why the rejection of the Jews involved no failure on the part of the divine promise, is because the promise was never addressed merely to the natural descendants of Abraham. The promise was always to the spiritual descendants of Abraham, the Church. The Church is not a temporary interruption in God's prophetic program for Israel. The Church is the prophetic fulfillment of that program, because the Church is true Israel. Covenant, not race, has always been the defining mark of the true Israel of God.

"They are not all Israel, which are of Israel" -- the purpose of this distinction is to show that the covenantal promise of God did not have respect to Israel after the flesh, but to true Israel, believers in Jesus Christ. Therefore, the unbelief and rejection of ethnic Israel as a whole in no way interfered with the fulfillment of God's covenant purpose and promise. The word of God, therefore, has not been violated.

"Will God keep His promises to Israel? You better believe He will, but they are to spiritual, not physical Israel." - David B. Curtis
    Last edited by basilfo; 03-30-2009 at 09:35 AM.

I know this was an old post, but you took the words right out of my mouth.

The Church is the fulfillment of the promise to Abraham. The Church is the Kingdom of Christ that raises children unto God based on faith as that of Abraham's. Hence, the children of faith are the children of promise, not just the children of flesh.

The problem with the Futurist's is that they view Israel as the flesh, and not the spirit.

Good post brother Dave.

Joe
    Israel is more than just a race; it is more than just a nation; it is the people of God, from faith, by faith, and only faith. Those who assemble in the name of Christ Jesus, embrance Israel because they are Israel

I agree. And what does the word Israƫl in the spirit mean? Fighter/warrior of God?

Update:
    And forum user Gilgal once wrote that it means "He shall reign with God".
    Last edited by NumberX; 06-10-2011 at 04:10 AM.

You got it!

Joe
    Israel is more than just a race; it is more than just a nation; it is the people of God, from faith, by faith, and only faith. Those who assemble in the name of Christ Jesus, embrance Israel because they are Israel

Quote Originally Posted by basilfo View Post

"The reason why the rejection of the Jews involved no failure on the part of the divine promise, is because the promise was never addressed merely to the natural descendants of Abraham. The promise was always to the spiritual descendants of Abraham, the Church. The Church is not a temporary interruption in God's prophetic program for Israel. The Church is the prophetic fulfillment of that program, because the Church is true Israel. Covenant, not race, has always been the defining mark of the true Israel of God.

"They are not all Israel, which are of Israel" -- the purpose of this distinction is to show that the covenantal promise of God did not have respect to Israel after the flesh, but to true Israel, believers in Jesus Christ. Therefore, the unbelief and rejection of ethnic Israel as a whole in no way interfered with the fulfillment of God's covenant purpose and promise. The word of God, therefore, has not been violated.

"Will God keep His promises to Israel? You better believe He will, but they are to spiritual, not physical Israel." - David B. Curtis
    After years of studying and trying to apologize for some of these same perceptions I came to the realization their had to be a greater truth that ends the debate, at least for myself and a minority in Christianity who have come to the same truth. Try as one wants, one can never prevail against the truth than a chosen biological descendancy was extremely significant in the promises to Abraham. After all, even the NT affirms that the promises of God were to Isaac and not Ishmael. The promise that a descendant of David/Judah would inherit the scepter and that Joseph would retain the birthright. One is merely kicking against the pricks in their attempts to rationalize away the significance of descendancy in the promises to Abraham and his seed.

Actually, the proper interpretation of scripture, both Old and New Testaments, maintains that the church is a NT phenomenon.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter,
    and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18

Of course, Christ was speaking of himself. It is not so hard to find Christ, in his divinity, in the OT, but he is bound to a certain people, the descendants of Abraham, with VERY few exceptions. It is not until his first advent that he calls for the great commission to the world, through the church, to proclaim the gospel that the gentiles start coming into the fold until they attain hegemony, at least by appearance. But these aforementioned circumstances are not only affirmed in the NT, but the OT has much to affirm concerning them also. In Isaiah 49 Christ is personified as the Servant who is tasked ?to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel? as he is also given ?for a light to the Gentiles,? that he may be his Father?s ?salvation unto the end of the earth? (Isaiah 49:6). No gainsay can prevail against the perception and scriptural proof that these tasks are a NT phenomenon as the Servant is Christ and the commission to take the gospel to the world cannot avoid in saving the elect descendants of Abraham as well as the elect gentiles. In essence the church was founded by Christ, the Servant in Isaiah, to save the ?elect? descendants of Israel, both houses, to whom the New Covenant is made, and to gather all the elect gentiles in this age, while both houses of Israel are scattered all over the world, or nations. This is why I used the phrase, at least by appearances. In truth, the preponderance of the descendants lost their identity and mixed with the gentiles, but God knows who and where they are and as he saves them in this age, he is fulfilling the promises to the descendants of Abraham as he saves the gentiles.

As I stated, even the Old Testament affirms the church is a NT phenomenon that Christ founded, which I will proceed to affirm as I post in different parts of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by basilfo View Post

After years of studying and trying to apologize for some of these same perceptions I came to the realization their had to be a greater truth that ends the debate, at least for myself and a minority in Christianity who have come to the same truth. Try as one wants, one can never prevail against the truth than a chosen biological descendancy was extremely significant in the promises to Abraham. After all, even the NT affirms that the promises of God were to Isaac and not Ishmael. The promise that a descendant of David/Judah would inherit the scepter and that Joseph would retain the birthright. One is merely kicking against the pricks in their attempts to rationalize away the significance of descendancy in the promises to Abraham and his seed.

Actually, the proper interpretation of scripture, both Old and New Testaments, maintains that the church is a NT phenomenon.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18

Of course, Christ was speaking of himself. It is not so hard to find Christ, in his divinity, in the OT, but he is bound to a certain people, the descendants of Abraham, with VERY few exceptions. It is not until his first advent that he calls for the great commission to the world, through the church, to proclaim the gospel that the gentiles start coming into the fold until they attain hegemony, at least by appearance. But these aforementioned circumstances are not only affirmed in the NT, but the OT has much to affirm concerning them also. In Isaiah 49 Christ is personified as the Servant who is tasked ?to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel? as he is also given ?for a light to the Gentiles,? that he may be his Father?s ?salvation unto the end of the earth? (Isaiah 49:6). No gainsay can prevail against the perception and scriptural proof that these tasks are a NT phenomenon as the Servant is Christ and the commission to take the gospel to the world cannot avoid in saving the elect descendants of Abraham as well as the elect gentiles. In essence the church was founded by Christ, the Servant in Isaiah, to save the ?elect? descendants of Israel, both houses, to whom the New Covenant is made, and to gather all the elect gentiles in this age, while both houses of Israel are scattered all over the world, or nations. This is why I used the phrase, at least by appearances. In truth, preponderance of the descendants lost their identity but God knows who and where they are and as he saves them in this age, he is fulfilling the promises to the descendants of Abraham as he saves the gentiles.

As I stated, even the Old Testament affirms the church is a NT phenomenon that Christ founded, which I will proceed to affirm as I post in different parts of the forum.

Thread Information