Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

The sofiet letter.

I am new to this site, and I will explore more as I go along, but was wondering if the 7 letters that change when they end a word, have meaning and insight to the work that you have completed in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave784 View Post
    I am new to this site, and I will explore more as I go along, but was wondering if the 7 letters that change when they end a word, have meaning and insight to the work that you have completed in the past.
    I thought they were 5 letters, kaf, mem, nun, pé, tsade. All five in the decimals, 20, 40, 50, 80, 90.
    Four of them have outstretched forms, and one is written as a square, the final mem, intimating the 1-4 structure of the universe.
    Also the gan Eden seems to have been a square. Maybe that's why http://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/artic...d-Paradise.htm

Sylvius is correct, there are five, not seven, final forms. When I was studying gematria, I made a habit of comparing the values using the standard (smaller) value and the sofit (larger) values. I noted a few "interesting coincidences" but concluded that they were of only secondary, if any, significance. A couple examples that impressed me were the name of Abraham, which sums to 248 (standard) and 808 (sofit). I thought the sofit value was interesting because it corresponded to the Greek value of "h pistis" (the faith) and Paul said that Abraham was the father of all who believe. Another example is the letter Mem which means water and has a standard value of 40 and a sofit value of 600. These are strongly associated with the flood, since the flood supposedly began when Noah was 600 years old and it rained 40 days and 40 nights. I discuss these examples in my Introduction to Gematria. Examples like these are few and far between, and I have never found any significant use of them in the holographs, so I concluded they are a minor curiosity. It's just too easy to find "connections" if one goes looking for them, so the results are very unreliable if we don't have a rigorous, principled method to discern between chance, necessity, and design.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Interesting with respect to the final letters is the explanation of the name Benjamin (Rashi):

Benjamin means“the son of days” (בֶּן יָמִים) , because he was born in his (Jacob’s) old age, and it is spelled with a “nun” like“at the end of the days (הַיָמִין)” (Dan. 12:13)
    Daniel ends with: . And you, go to the end, and you will rest and rise to your lot at the end of the days.

Rashi:

at the end of the days: Heb. לְקֵץ הַיָמִין, like הַיָמִים בְּאַחֲרִית. We cannot interpret הַיָמִין as an expression of the right hand, because it is mentioned in the Large Masorah among the six words that are unusual because they have a final “nun” at the end of the word, which serves instead of a “mem,” and there is none like them, e.g. (Job 31:10): “and may others (אֲחֵרִין) kneel upon her;” (ibid. 24:22): “and he is not sure of life (בַּחַיִין) ” (Ezek. 4: 9): “take yourself wheat (חִטִין) ” ; (ibid. 26:18): “Now the isles (הָאִיִן) will tremble;” (Prov. 31:3): “to the pleasures of kings;” (here): “to the end of the days (הַיָמִין).”

Final Mem is called "mem s'tumah" = closed mem.

"s'tumah" from "satam", verb used in the verses verses before,
    Daniel 12:4, And you, Daniel, close up the words and seal the book until the time of the end; many will run to and fro, and the knowledge will increase.
    Daniel 12:9, And he said, "Go, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed until the time of the end.

Intimating that "in the time of the end" it is unlocked.

Final Nun is called "nun p'shutah" = outstretched Nun. The leg of the Nun reaches deepest of all letters, even to the bottom of the sea. Value 50, corresponding the day after the 7x7 weeks = Pentecost = day of the revelation.

"yamin" in fact means right hand (or : south).

That's why I do think the sitting at the right hand (Psalms 110) in fact is about these final letters...

When throwing the net at the right hand of the ship the disciples did find the 153 large fish ...

Meaning of "nun" seems to be fish.
    Last edited by sylvius; 05-29-2014 at 12:49 AM.

Thank you, I will continue to explore this site...

In reading a book I came across an interesting section called Sefer Yetzirah and focus on the seven letters that change "seven doubles", (I was incorrect to add the phrase 'end a word'). This is found in a book called "early Judaism" by Martin Jaffe..just throwing this out there... Still exploring this web site..

In reading a book I came across an interesting section called Sefer Yetzirah and focus on the seven letters that change "seven doubles", (I was incorrect to add the phrase 'end a word'). This is found in a book called "early Judaism" by Martin Jaffe..just throwing this out there... Still exploring this web site..
    Those letters do not change form like the five finals. They are called doubles because they have two pronunciations, a hard and a soft, indicated by a dot in the center called a dagesh. You can read an explanation here.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    Those letters do not change form like the five finals. They are called doubles because they have two pronunciations, a hard and a soft, indicated by a dot in the center called a dagesh. You can read an explanation here.

http://hermetic.com/texts/yetzirah.html

The Seven double letters, Beth, Gimel, Daleth, Kaph, Peh, Resh, and Tau have each two sounds associated with them. They are referred to Life, Peace, Wisdom, Riches, Grace, Fertility and Power. The two sounds of each letter are the hard and the soft--the aspirated and the softened. They are called Double, because each letter presents a contrast or permutation; thus Life and Death; Peace and War; Wisdom and Folly; Riches and Poverty; Grace and Indignation; Fertility and Solitude; Power and Servitude.
    But "resh" is not one of the dotted letters:

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Gra...d_letters.html

Collectively these letters are sometimes called "Begedkephat letters" as an acronym for the names of letters:

Begedkephat letters

Thread Information