Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    635

    Do you argue to win or to lose?

    Do you argue to win or to lose?

    I see many feisty debates and apologetics, with little potential for a happy conclusion and wondered what motivates us all.

    Preach, teach, or learn comes to mind.

    Do you want to loser arguments or win them?

    Which gives you the most pleasure and pain?

    Regards
    DL

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
    Do you argue to win or to lose?

    I see many feisty debates and apologetics, with little potential for a happy conclusion and wondered what motivates us all.

    Preach, teach, or learn comes to mind.

    Do you want to loser arguments or win them?

    Which gives you the most pleasure and pain?

    Regards
    DL
    A good reason for "arguing" or debates is to crystallize your ideas by bouncing them against and seeing how they fare relative to someone else's ideas. There are less negative consequences of doing so in an online forum. When you're not as mentally invested in an idea it's a great way to test them for holes or to refine them before going out and proclaiming it to the world. Forums can be training grounds and a resource/learning tool.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    A good reason for "arguing" or debates is to crystallize your ideas by bouncing them against and seeing how they fare relative to someone else's ideas. There are less negative consequences of doing so in an online forum. When you're not as mentally invested in an idea it's a great way to test them for holes or to refine them before going out and proclaiming it to the world. Forums can be training grounds and a resource/learning tool.
    I had to double check to see if I had written that a few years ago. If so accurately depicts some of my thoughts on the matter. But continuous unless arguments to attempt to change another person's indoctrination can sometimes be endless and futile. Sometimes one or two quick points of differentiation can be enough to cause reconsideration in the opposite viewpoint. Or it can cause others to see a fault or fallacy in their hermeneutic system or indoctrination.
    1Thess 4:8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    If you are oppressed and enslaved by religious law, you may have a tendency to oppress, enslave and attempt to lord over others who are free.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    A good reason for "arguing" or debates is to crystallize your ideas by bouncing them against and seeing how they fare relative to someone else's ideas. There are less negative consequences of doing so in an online forum. When you're not as mentally invested in an idea it's a great way to test them for holes or to refine them before going out and proclaiming it to the world. Forums can be training grounds and a resource/learning tool.
    All true.

    It sounds like you argue to win. Yes?

    So do I but hope to lose, so that I might learn something new.

    Regards
    DL

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by EndtimesDeut32/70AD View Post
    I had to double check to see if I had written that a few years ago. If so accurately depicts some of my thoughts on the matter. But continuous unless arguments to attempt to change another person's indoctrination can sometimes be endless and futile. Sometimes one or two quick points of differentiation can be enough to cause reconsideration in the opposite viewpoint. Or it can cause others to see a fault or fallacy in their hermeneutic system or indoctrination.
    The indoctrinated are indeed the hardest to help, and unfortunately, religious indoctrination is quite hard to reverse. Most initial indoctrinations suffered by the young are what the lying preachers try to reinforce.

    They want sheeple. Not thinking people.

    Regards
    DL

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
    All true.

    It sounds like you argue to win. Yes?

    So do I but hope to lose, so that I might learn something new.

    Regards
    DL
    Most of the time I'll engage in arguments for entertainment, or as I've recently discovered about myself, out of loneliness. If the argument gets heated I might actually start caring about winning..but usually I'm purposefully riling someone up to break them out of their predictive programming. It's nice when you generate a response that you've never seen before. Also yeah, winning all of the time gets boring fast. Even though I'm a non-denominational evangelical Christian, I sometimes play devils advocate to get people thinking.
    Last edited by Nothing; 02-20-2021 at 01:26 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    Most of the time I'll engage in arguments for entertainment, or as I've recently discovered about myself, out of loneliness. If the argument gets heated I might actually start caring about winning..but usually I'm purposefully riling someone up to break them out of their predictive programming. It's nice when you generate a response that you've never seen before. Also yeah, winning all of the time gets boring fast. Even though I'm a non-denominational evangelical Christian, I sometimes play devils advocate to get people thinking.
    Having non-believers or believers think of what type of issue or moral?

    Give an example please.

    Loneliness is a bitch.

    When bored, I work my pet peeve.

    Regards
    DL

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
    Having non-believers or believers think of what type of issue or moral?

    Give an example please.

    Loneliness is a bitch.

    When bored, I work my pet peeve.

    Regards
    DL
    There have been a few, a couple of funny ones I remember off the top of my head have been dealing with contemporary Christians over issues such as "should Christians have tattoos?" and "are all genres of worship music okay?". Being contemporary Christians they usually are very liberal and so advocate for these positions. So in turn, I would link extreme examples of tattoos bordering on body mutilation, with quotes such as "praise God! There is freedom in Christ!". Or I would link a death metal song full of satanic imagery where only the lyrics have changed to something vaguely Christian and call it worship. Of course, I've covered deeper issues aswell.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    635
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
    There have been a few, a couple of funny ones I remember off the top of my head have been dealing with contemporary Christians over issues such as "should Christians have tattoos?" and "are all genres of worship music okay?". Being contemporary Christians they usually are very liberal and so advocate for these positions. So in turn, I would link extreme examples of tattoos bordering on body mutilation, with quotes such as "praise God! There is freedom in Christ!". Or I would link a death metal song full of satanic imagery where only the lyrics have changed to something vaguely Christian and call it worship. Of course, I've covered deeper issues aswell.
    It is hard for me to see Christians as liberal, given that they are fascists.

    It is also hard to see Christians as intelligent when they base their lives on imaginary supernatural mythos instead of intelligent logos.

    Jesus indicated that myths and the supernatural were for children and that adults used logos.

    Tattoos and other art forms enhance human life. Don't touch.

    Christians are as normal as you say, which is why I wonder why they advocate for such a prick of a god and his homophobic and misogynistic religions.

    If Christians dare to walk their bibles talk, stoning fornicators and unruly children, the secular world would have to send their inquisitions out to kill them. Rather religious that response, but self defence would warrant it.

    Regards
    DL

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
    It is hard for me to see Christians as liberal, given that they are fascists.DL
    The majority of Christians today are liberal, lukewarm and watered down. They allow profanity, homosexuality in the church, fly the rainbow flag, smoke weed, preach only the love of God without any wrath, etc. They have lost their saltiness and are no different from the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
    It is also hard to see Christians as intelligent when they base their lives on imaginary supernatural mythos instead of intelligent logos.

    Jesus indicated that myths and the supernatural were for children and that adults used logos.
    "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." - John 1:1 KJV. Alot of the more intelligent Christians I know are actually scientifically minded and use mental models such as the Trivium to filter their thought process. Christianity also has compelling reasons to believe in it, more-so than other religions. One reason would be is that it's backed by real history. Here's an image I whipped up a while ago which kind of highlights the differences between Christianity and eastern religious philosophies:



    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
    Tattoos and other art forms enhance human life. Don't touch.
    I'm fine with Non-Christians doing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
    Christians are as normal as you say, which is why I wonder why they advocate for such a prick of a god and his homophobic and misogynistic religions.
    There is more depth to Christianity than what there seems to be, God "wanting to stop homosexuals having sex" seems irrational, especially in today's culture. Why would he want to stop people having fun? Perfectly understandable. It seems mean, but assuredly there's a reason for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
    If Christians dare to walk their bibles talk, stoning fornicators and unruly children, the secular world would have to send their inquisitions out to kill them. Rather religious that response, but self defence would warrant it.
    Not all types of fornication receive the death penalty, primarily adulterers and homosexuality.
    Last edited by Nothing; 02-22-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •