Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Imprint of Isaiah's Seal Found?

Read this yesterday - https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...ure-jerusalem/ The naysayers will all claim it could be from any old guy named "Yish-ay-yah-(hoo)" with the family name "Navi". Aside from 2 letters missing, this has all the marks of being an imprint from the personal seal of Isaiah the Prophet. It was found just outside the remains of the royal bakery, dates to the correct time, and has all but the last hebrew letter of the name and of "navi" (prophet). Isaiah was related to the royal family of Judah and interacted extensively with several of their kings. I don't imagine they would let any old schmuk hang out around the royalm bakery where food for the king's family & officials was being prepared. They found bullae with Hezekiah's seal imprint nearby, along with a cache of gold and a lot of other stuff. The linked page has other links on it that looked interesting. I read one & plan on looking more when I have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Read this yesterday - https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...ure-jerusalem/ The naysayers will all claim it could be from any old guy named "Yish-ay-yah-(hoo)" with the family name "Navi".Aside from 2 letters missing, this has all the marks of being an imprint from the personal seal of Isaiah the Prophet. It was found just outside the remains of the royal bakery, dates to the correct time, and has all but the last hebrew letter of the name and of "navi" (prophet). Isaiah was related to the royal family of Judah and interacted extensively with several of their kings. I don't imagine they would let any old schmuk hang out around the royalm bakery where food for the king's family & officials was being prepared. They found bullae with Hezekiah's seal imprint nearby, along with a cache of gold and a lot of other stuff. The linked page has other links on it that looked interesting. I read one & plan on looking more when I have the time.

There is good reason to be skeptical of the claims in that article. Because there is much more wrong with that find than just two letters missing. That article was based on this one. From that article.

With that said, when considering the identification of this seal impression as that of the prophet Isaiah, some major obstacles arise.

Without an aleph at the end, the word nvy is most likely just a personal name. Although it does not appear in the Bible, it does appear on seals and a seal impression on a jar handle, all from unprovenanced, private collections.14 It also appears as bn nvy (?son of nvy?), most likely a name, on two bullae from the end of the First Temple period (early seventh century B.C.E.) stamped with the same seal, both found together in a juglet from Lachish.

Another link. https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...aeology-bible/

Christopher Rollston, professor of Semitic languages at George Washington University, agrees that the reading of nvy is a problem.

"The critically important letter that would be needed to confirm that the second word is the title ?prophet? is an aleph. But no aleph is legible on this bulla, and so that reading cannot be confirmed at all," he says.

Compounding the reading of nvy is a lack of the definite article "h", notes Rollston. In the majority of biblical references, references are to "the prophet" rather than simply "prophet." "In short, if this were the word 'prophet,' I would have liked to have seen the word 'the,' as in 'Isaiah the prophet,' he says.

There is not enough evidence to support the conclusion that this is from Isaiah the Prophet.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix

Hello L67 -
    I read the links on your post, several other articles, as well as Dr. Mazar's "Final Reports Vol. II" paper on the Ophel excavations, where this bulla was found. As I read all the reasons people have for doubting that the bottom register contains the word "prophet", something occurred to me that tends to argue for the presence of an aleph, or at least some letter at the end of the legible portion reading "navi" and it was not mentioned in any of the material I read. I googled "images bulla Hebrew" and saw pictures of a dozen or so bulla images, and found that my hunch was right. The inscriptions on all of the images were centered . I don't know if this is always the case, but in thinking back on all the seal imprints I've seen carrying inscriptions in any language, I don't remember seeing one with the lettering offset more than a smidget to one side or the other. Human nature seems to favor symmetry in this type of context. If there was no letter after the word "navi" on the bottom line of the "Isaiah" bulla, then the lettering is "off-balance" and to my eye, unnatural. None of the articles I read mentioned this. As for the lack of the definite article "heh" in front of the word "navi", Dr Mazar wrote about this starting about the middle of page 181 here - https://www.keytodavidscity.com/wp-c...II1-Tadpis.pdf Use of the definite article in front of personal titles in ancient Hebrew isn't always consistent.The way I see it, there is more evidence to suggest it is Isaiah's seal than there is against it. But the burden of proof is on Dr. Mazar and her colleagues, so this one is up in the air for now.
    Last edited by Silence; 03-04-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Thread Information