Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ROCK Solid

ROCK Solid

Rock-Solid
    God is a 'ROCK', Ps18 - the metaphor suggesting UNMOVABLE, but also a source of water in Ex17.
    Abraham goes around digging wells, and his son Isaac has to re-dig them after those pesky Philistines cover them up. Moses strikes the rock in order to get water for his thirsty bunch. "Spring up, O Well" indeed! The writing of Scripture is being portrayed as Living Water!

"They have forsaken me, [GOD] the fountain of living water, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns that can hold no water".Jer2:13.
    "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint.." Psalm 22:14

[Recite w gusto!]

CHRIST IS THE ROCK!
    A lyric poem by Bob Smith, Ana Glyfada Greece, 7/87

Christ is the Rock, and he's the answer, 1Cor10:4
    He's the shining light.. Acts9:3
    Christ is the Rock, Christ is the answer, Gen28:18
    He's the Bread of Life. Jn6:51

They say that honey comes from bee's, but the answer's on my tongue.. Ps81:16
    "I get my HONEY FROM THE ROCK, so I'm sure I won't get stung! Rev10:10
    The honey that opened Jonathan's eyes has also opened mine, and the 1Sam14:29
    Word of God now tastes so sweet that I crave it all the time! Pr24:13

They say that water comes from rain, and that it's mainly in the plain, Hos6:3
    but I get my WATER FROM THE ROCK, so I will never thirst again. Ex17:6
    It's not the water in the well; No, this comes from Galilee.. Jn4:14
    It's been poured out from God above, so naturally it's free! Ps22:14

They say that oil lubricates, and is pumped up from the ground, Dt32:13
    but I get my OIL FROM THE ROCK...it's a gusher that I've found! Job29:6
    That old oil covered up the flesh, and messed up Aaron's beard, but you Ps133:2
    need the new oil for your lamp, when the bridegroom does appear. Matt25

They say that fire burns and kills--it's definitely HOT...but the Judg6:21
    Word of God tastes extra good with the (new) FIRE FROM THE ROCK! Judg13:20
    Don't let your sacrifice get cold; No, keep it piping hot.. Rom12:1
    On the altar for burnt offerings, with fire from the Rock. Gen22:7

Now they ate lamb, but we eat bread; as spirit succeeds flesh,
    The STONE that they rejected has become our righteousness.
    Follow first the fire, if you want to see the cloud; It's the
    Great Light that follows the darkness that eliminates the shroud!

Samson's HONEY is in stock, for those who want it from the Rock,
    and for those who'll take a stand, there's still the WATER of Naaman.
    The OIL of gladness yet abounds in churches where the Rock is found..
    So grab your Bible, light a shock...the FIRE still comes from the Rock!

Christ is the Rock, and he's the answer, Ps18:31
    He's the firstfruit from the dead.. Lev23:10
    Christ is the Rock, Christ is the answer, 1Cor15:24
    He's the Lifter of my Head. Ps3:3

Jesus never said "I AM the Rock", (it isn't written) leaving that information for Paul to divulge in 1Cor10:4. Besides, it would have driven the Pharisees and Sadducees ballistic! He's the monolithic Rock who's the source of the honey, the anointing oil, the Living Water, and the Holy Ghost baptism! Like a diamond with many facets!

"They shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him". Mal 3:17
    So the Jewel Thief will be coming "as a thief in the night" to rapture his beloveds!
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

That OT 'water' had a bitter taste, but Jesus can turn it to wine at your wedding, in case you want another go. Just imagine the ignorance of atheists and others who think they can match wits with the Almighty, Creator of the Universe, including all the diverse flora and fauna..
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Quote Originally Posted by duxrow View Post
    That OT 'water' had a bitter taste, but Jesus can turn it to wine at your wedding, in case you want another go. Just imagine the ignorance of atheists and others who think they can match wits with the Almighty, Creator of the Universe, including all the diverse flora and fauna..
    Did he also turn the water that was carried by a man in a pitcher (Mark 14:13) to wine, even to the wine of which he should say: "This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many"?

Quote Originally Posted by sylvius View Post
    Did he also turn the water that was carried by a man in a pitcher (Mark 14:13) to wine, even to the wine of which he should say: "This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many"?
    Hey Sylvie, Why do you ask? Since Moses turned the water to blood, and he and Jesus are PILLARS of the Scriptures, it seems only natural that Jesus would turn the water to wine. In a figurative sense I believe it still happens when you 'cut the covenant' with Him. But maybe the situation, with six waterpots at a wedding, is crucial to the account. You think?

ps: fits well with how Joseph turned the CORN into Bread! Right?
    Last edited by duxrow; 09-11-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: post script

No Sylvius, you need a little bit of priestly hocus pocus for that one.

dp

Quote Originally Posted by dpenn View Post
    No Sylvius, you need a little bit of priestly hocus pocus for that one.

dp
    Yet it is a rather obscure passage, Mark 14:13-15,

καὶ ἀποστέλλει δύο τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ καὶ λέγει αὐτοῖς, Ὑπάγετε εἰς τὴν πόλιν, καὶ ἀπαντήσει ὑμῖν ἄνθρωπος κεράμιον ὕδατος βαστάζων: ἀκολουθήσατε αὐτῷ, καὶ ὅπου ἐὰν εἰσέλθῃ εἴπατε τῷ οἰκοδεσπότῃ ὅτι Ὁ διδάσκαλος λέγει, Ποῦ ἐστιν τὸ κατάλυμά μου ὅπου τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου φάγω; καὶ αὐτὸς ὑμῖν δείξει ἀνάγαιον μέγα ἐστρωμένον ἕτοιμον: καὶ ἐκεῖ ἑτοιμάσατε ἡμῖν.

καὶ ἀποστέλλει δύο τῶν μαθητῶν = "and he sent two of his disciples" -- cf. Mark 11:1, Καὶ ὅτε ἐγγίζουσιν εἰς Ἱεροσόλυμα εἰς Βηθφαγὴ καὶ Βηθανίαν πρὸς τὸ Ὄρος τῶν Ἐλαιῶν, ἀποστέλλει δύο τῶν μαθητῶν αὐτοῦ

Did he sent them in his quality of teacher = διδάσκαλος ?

Ὁ διδάσκαλος λέγει, Ποῦ ἐστιν τὸ κατάλυμά μου = The teacher says: where is my lodging for the night?

So these things might constitute the very hard core of his teaching.

Mark 11:6,
    οἱ δὲ εἶπαν αὐτοῖς καθὼς εἶπεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς: καὶ ἀφῆκαν αὐτούς - and they said to them like Jesus had said,

καθὼς εἶπεν occurs one more time in Mark 16:7,
    ἀλλὰ ὑπάγετε εἴπατε τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ καὶ τῷ Πέτρῳ ὅτι Προάγει ὑμᾶς εἰς τὴν Γαλιλαίαν: ἐκεῖ αὐτὸν ὄψεσθε, καθὼς εἶπεν ὑμῖν.

It seeming to contrast with the καθὼς γέγραπται = like was written, that also occurs two times in Mark (Mark 1:2 and Mark 9:13)

Constituting the newness of his teaching , above to what has been written?

This "newness" being also in the wine, of which he said "this is my blood of the new covenant that has been shed for many".

The man carrying a jar with water, ἄνθρωπος κεράμιον ὕδατος βαστάζων, also a strange figure. -- he enters the house and disappears.

He meets you, it's not that you meet him.

ἀπαντάω,v \{ap-an-tah'-o}
    1) to go to meet, to meet 1a) in a military sense: a hostile meeting

So in a way he forces you to follow him, like kind of a hooker.

And how you know he is carrying water in his earthenware jar? Or did he give you to drink from it?

ὅπου ἐὰν εἰσέλθῃ = wherever he goes in .

So he is the one who determines where it is; it's not first the house and he just the one brings you to that place.
    Last edited by sylvius; 09-11-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Hello Dux

Just thinking about the title of your thread 'Rock solid'. Thinking outside the box for a minute, we could think how we are firmly attached to this planet (rock) by gravity.

The earth is referred to as the 3rd rock from the sun. By gravity we are firmly stuck to this planet. We are like little rocks attracted to a big rock. The earth is in its orbit around the sun because it is trying to escape from the sun, but is held in check by gravity. The moon likewise is held in check by the earth.

God and Jesus are our rocks, which we are attracted to them like gravity and our feet are firmly attached to those rocks. There are others who are trying to escape their pull, and are held in check, though not attached. Reprobates are those represented by the rocks that do escape the pull of gravity and will be lost to the outer depths of space.

All the best
    David

The man carrying a jar with water, ἄνθρωπος κεράμιον ὕδατος βαστάζων, also a strange figure. -- he enters the house and disappears.

He meets you, it's not that you meet him.

ἀπαντάω,v \{ap-an-tah'-o}
    1) to go to meet, to meet 1a) in a military sense: a hostile meeting

So in a way he forces you to follow him, like kind of a hooker.

And how you know he is carrying water in his earthenware jar? Or did he give you to drink from it?

ὅπου ἐὰν εἰσέλθῃ = wherever he goes in .

So he is the one who determines where it is; it's not first the house and he just the one brings you to that place.
    Sylvius,

You forget that Jesus had already told them to expect this. So why doubt? And if God, through an angel, or the Holy Spirit had already directed the man carrying a water pitcher to do His bidding, that is not a big deal. Remember how the Holy Spirit told Ananias to go to the street called narrow in Damascus, and to lay hands on Saul, that he might receive his sight, as a vessel chosen for His purpose and grace.

In my early posts, you might have read of my early Christian faith, and how I discovered answered prayer. And I was so absolutely, delightfully filled with joy at my new found blessing, I started a diary, whereby I listed my prayers and then entered when my prayers were answered, with a moment of thanksgiving, I might add. Well, without dwelling on myself too much, another answered prayer might draw a parallel here. When I was in grade 3 in a southern town of my home province of Saskatchewan, an American preacher and his family moved into my town, seemingly from nowhere. Daniel, was in my grade, and he was persecuted quite severely by the Catholics, as he brought his Bible to school daily, and they just couldn't stand that. Well I wasn't a Christian then, but he shared the Gospel with me, and I saw a most loving and caring boy that wouldn't hurt a fly, treated in the most despicable way. I moved from that town to the city, and some 10 years passed, at which time I came to believe on Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.

... enter my prayer adventure ... well, one of my earlier prayers was, God what ever happened to Daniel? Would you please bring him to this city, so I can tell him I finally became a Christian? Well two weeks later, I was downtown in a city of some 200,000 and was confronted by Daniel. And with tears in his eyes, he told me of how often he had prayed for me over the years. And I was over-joyed at another answered prayer. And that is just a simple Canadian boy, finding favour with the God he now loves and serves ...

how much more the living, breathing, walking, disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ, experience something that over time must have made them trust most anything He said, that is, up and until He told them of His pending crucifixion, burial, resurrection, ascension and return.

But didn't you appreciate my hocus pocus line ... you know, hoc est corpus meim? (I have no idea of the spelling of this, as I don't know Latin, and am only going from memory. I hope I haven't misquoted this.)

dp
    Last edited by dpenn; 09-12-2014 at 12:47 AM.

The man carrying the jar with water might have been an angel.

cf. Genesis 37:15,
    Then a man found him, and behold, he was straying in the field, and the man asked him, saying, "What are you looking for?"

LXX
    καὶ εὗρεν αὐτὸν ἄνθρωπος πλανώμενον ἐν τῷ πεδίῳ ἠρώτησεν δὲ αὐτὸν ὁ ἄνθρωπος λέγων τί ζητεῖς

Hebrew: וַיִּמְצָאֵהוּ אִישׁ, "vayimtsaeihu ish",

Rashi:
    This is [the angel] Gabriel, as it is said:“And the man Gabriel” (Dan. 9:21). [From Tanchuma Vayeshev 2]
    He being the one to introduce Joseph to the place where he would be thrown into the pit by his brothers and then sold to Egypt on instignation of Judah,
    parallelled in NT by Judas selling (betraying) him to the Highpriests.

Genesis 32:25,
    And Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until the break of dawn.

LXX
    ὑπελείφθη δὲ Iακωβ μόνος καὶ ἐπάλαιεν ἄνθρωπος μετ' αὐτοῦ ἕως πρωί

Rashi
    Our Rabbis explained (Gen. Rabbah 77:3, 78:3) that this was the prince (guardian angel) of Esau.

until the break of down -- ἕως πρωί
    when the roosters crow?

Last verse of Mark 14, KJV

And the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.

Mark 15:1, Greek,
    Καὶ εὐθὺς πρωῒ συμβούλιον ποιήσαντες οἱ ἀρχιερεῖς μετὰ τῶν πρεσβυτέρων καὶ γραμματέων καὶ ὅλον τὸ συνέδριον δήσαντες τὸν Ἰησοῦν ἀπήνεγκαν καὶ παρέδωκαν Πιλάτῳ.

I was in Northern France in 1999 with total sun-darkening, on a hill,

Impressive was the dawn that came from the west, very quick, and the roosters that began to crow.

Thread Information