Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Lecture: Why we believe in Gods by Andy Thomson

There is much insight in this lecture.

• Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

I was able to watch the first 20 mins of this before i went to work.... And was totally intrigued and stimulated form the information therein..... I watch ALOT of videos on the internet and i must say this one is possibly the best in at least the last 3 months in terms of fascinating new ideas..... not that i agree with all the information so far but still seems like alot of food for thought..... Anyhow just got home from work, going to watch the rest and communicate my experience of it. Matthjar...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthjar View Post
    I was able to watch the first 20 mins of this before i went to work.... And was totally intrigued and stimulated form the information therein..... I watch ALOT of videos on the internet and i must say this one is possibly the best in at least the last 3 months in terms of fascinating new ideas..... not that i agree with all the information so far but still seems like alot of food for thought..... Anyhow just got home from work, going to watch the rest and communicate my experience of it. Matthjar...
    It will be interesting to discuss it with you. I am curious to know which parts you agree or disagree with, and why.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Yes i had to go to work again after my full viewing so i believe i will watch it again and pause and write comments as i go..... 24 hours after watching though there are still 2 points that stick out fresh in my mind along with interpretation of them in context of my current world view...

1. It was interesting to me that children will "naturally" develop imaginary friends in the course of their development.
    2. That they will also "naturally" develop a belief of God.

The video claims that both of these are observed with not training or teaching by parents or adults. I find it interesting that for the most part children will eventually outgrow imaginary friends but they don't outgrow the belief in God but rather tend to develop it more fully. Is this purely because One is supported by culture and society and the other is not? Or are there other factors in play? If so why does culture and society support God but not imaginary friends?

The other interesting point was that Evolution supports Religious thought. There is obviously some great survival benefit inherent in religious belief that natural selection would consistently select those with Religious belief for survival, while those that do not are plagued with adverse mental conditions that reduce survivability. The possible causes i can come with are....

1. Religious thought gives societies and cultures a coherency of unity which is beneficial for societal goals and helps dissipate minor squabbles.
    2. An actual deity supports such belief.
    3. A mixture of both.

So possibly the genocides detailed in the OT accounts of a "Yahweh" believing Israeli's displacing the Canaanites are "Survival of the Fittest" in action...or God rewarding and providing for his faithful (In actuality not just myth)...... or both. Just following the scientific evidence to its logical outcome at this point and not attaching any moralistic judgements to them.

I fully plan on reviewing and commenting on all the information therein and my experience of it... when i have the time....

With Utter devotion of Love and Truth,
    Matthjar

Ohhhh... I also just remembered the intro and beginning about how Big Macs and Cokes are craved by us as GOOD due to our evolutionary history.... but in modern times actually are Bad for our survival... while we don't crave broccoli so much even though it is Good for our survival. I have been aware of this for many many years, but never before put it in context of how the same mechanics could work in the context of our Religious Thoughts and subjective experience of God... I feel like further investigation of this will uncover alot of Truth concerning the predicament and condition of modern man. Are Modern Religious Thoughts merely a trick of our evolutionary history that appear good but are actually killing us slowly? IF so what is the Broccoli that we are loathe to eat but is actually good for us???

Matthjar

Quote Originally Posted by Matthjar View Post
    Ohhhh... I also just remembered the intro and beginning about how Big Macs and Cokes are craved by us as GOOD due to our evolutionary history.... but in modern times actually are Bad for our survival... while we don't crave broccoli so much even though it is Good for our survival. I have been aware of this for many many years, but never before put it in context of how the same mechanics could work in the context of our Religious Thoughts and subjective experience of God... I feel like further investigation of this will uncover alot of Truth concerning the predicament and condition of modern man. Are Modern Religious Thoughts merely a trick of our evolutionary history that appear good but are actually killing us slowly? IF so what is the Broccoli that we are loathe to eat but is actually good for us???

Matthjar
    Hello Matthjar

I shall have to watch the video. Before I do, you comments have lead me to think about intuition. Where does intuition come from? Is intuition, something acquired as a result of some knowledge which has to be learnt. Instinct, is different from intuition and instinct might be something that is naturally built into the mind/brain as opposed to being programmed into the mind by learning.

The Evolutionists are good at giving their ideas of how man developed. I find it amusing the explanations they give. Whilst Evolutionists say that Evolution is blind, nevertheless, the way it is put forward for the development of man, it is as though Evolution had a mind. I suppose the same personification of Evolution is like the the personification of the devil and satan in the Bible.

All the best
    David

Thread Information