Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is God's name?

Hi Richard.

I don't understand this page.

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you ... this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
    Ex.3:14f.

The memorial Name of the Lord God Almighty reveals the mystery of His eternal nature. Jesus used it to declare His Own Divinity. The Name given is:

I AM THAT I AM

אהיה אשר אהיה

Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh
    But "this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations" occurs in verse 15, immediately following these words (which you left out of your quote.)

Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God (HaShem Elohie) of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you.

What is there in the text that leads you to view Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh (and not HaShem Elohie) as God's memorial name?

Do you see something I don't?

The Spirit Of Truth

by living by the spirit of truth and sometime it may not be the way that we like to or expected.
    "My way are higher than your way"
    live by the spirit of truth and not be deceive by the world

Quote Originally Posted by inquirer View Post
    Hi Richard.

I don't understand this page.

But "this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations" occurs in verse 15, immediately following these words (which you left out of your quote.)

Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God (HaShem Elohie) of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you.

What is there in the text that leads you to view Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh (and not HaShem Elohie) as God's memorial name?

RAM never answered this.

I think it's because he ever adheres to his old triune godhead of the Christianity that claims wherever Jesus said ἐγὼ εἰμί, "I am", he meant "I am God Almighty"

Quote Originally Posted by sylvius View Post
    RAM never answered this.

I think it's because he ever adheres to his old triune godhead of the Christianity that claims wherever Jesus said ἐγὼ εἰμί, "I am", he meant "I am God Almighty"
    Don't be silly sylvius. I simply overlooked the question. It's easy for posts to get lost very quickly with new activity.

I don't believe in God, so obviously I don't believe in the Trinity. But if I were a believer I would probably be a Trinitarian because that seems to be the best fit two what the Bible actually says. But the Bible is not consistent, so no one can agree what it really says anyway.

There are many arguments that can be put forth for either position. I can't say that I'm particularly interested in disputing it. What's the point?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    Don't be silly sylvius. I simply overlooked the question. It's easy for posts to get lost very quickly with new activity.

I don't believe in God, so obviously I don't believe in the Trinity. But if I were a believer I would probably be a Trinitarian because that seems to be the best fit two what the Bible actually says. But the Bible is not consistent, so no one can agree what it really says anyway.

There are many arguments that can be put forth for either position. I can't say that I'm particularly interested in disputing it. What's the point?
    Now you still didn't answer Inquirers question:

Quote Originally Posted by sylvius View Post
    Now you still didn't answer Inquirers question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquirer

OK, let review the passage:

Exodus 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations. 16 Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt: 17 And I have said, I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt unto the land of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, unto a land flowing with milk and honey.

Moses asked for the name of "The God of your fathers (Elohei Avothekem)" and was answered Ehyeh asher Ehyeh. That answer was then immediately repeated using just Ehyeh. Then the name Yahweh Elohei Avothekem is used, apparently in parallel with the first Elohei Avothekem.

Now if the "memorial name" is Yahweh rather than Ehyeh, why was the answer to "What is your name?" given as Ehyeh rather than Yahweh?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Exodus 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. 15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations. 16 Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt: 17 And I have said, I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt unto the land of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, unto a land flowing with milk and honey.

Moses asked for the name of "The God of your fathers (Elohei Avothekem)" and was answered Ehyeh asher Ehyeh. That answer was then immediately repeated using just Ehyeh. Then the name Yahweh Elohei Avothekem is used, apparently in parallel with the first Elohei Avothekem.

Now if the "memorial name" is Yahweh rather than Ehyeh, why was the answer to "What is your name?" given as Ehyeh rather than Yahweh?

It is not "memorial name"

v.15
    זֶה שְּׁמִי לְעֹלָם וְזֶה זִכְרִי לְדֹר דֹּר, "zeh sh'mi l'olam v'zeh zichri l'dor dor" - this is my name forever and thus I am to be remembered from generation to generation

Rashi:
    This is My name forever: Heb. לְעֹלָם [It is spelled] without a vav, meaning: conceal it [God?s name] תהַעִלִימֵהוּ [so] that it should not be read as it is written. ? [from Pes. 50a] Since the ?vav? of (לְעֹלָ ם) is missing, we are to understand it as לְעַלֵּם, to conceal, meaning that the pronunciation of the way God?s name is written (י-ה-ו-ה) is to be concealed. ? [from Pes. 50a.]

(the name is concealed in the initial letters of "yom hashishi vay'chulu hashamayim" )
    Last edited by sylvius; 05-07-2017 at 10:29 AM.

v.12 already mentioned "ehyeh" , only that this gets lost in the diverse translations

וַיֹּאמֶר כִּי אֶהְיֶה עִמָּךְ וְזֶה לְּךָ הָאוֹת כִּי אָנֹכִי שְׁלַחְתִּיךָ, "vayomer ki ehyeh imcha v'zeh haot ki anochi shelachticha"

KJV And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee
    while for v. 14
    And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.

By translating it in this way KJV suggests that "I Am" should be God's name (Greek ἐγὼ εἰμί)

Rashi: http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_...showrashi=true
    And He said, ?For I will be with you??: He [God] answered his former [question] first, and his latter [question] last. [Concerning] what you said, ?Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh?? This [mission] is not yours but Mine, ?for I will be with you.? And this vision which you have seen in the thorn bush, is the sign for you that it was I who sent you and that you will succeed in My mission and that I am able to save you. Just as you saw the thorn bush performing My mission and not being harmed, so will you go on My mission and not be harmed. [Concerning] what you asked, ?what merit do the Israelites have that they should go out of Egypt?? I have a great thing [dependent] on this Exodus, for at the end of three months from their Exodus from Egypt they are destined to receive the Torah on this mountain.

on v.14:
    ?Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)?: ?I will be? with them in this predicament ?what I will be? with them in their subjugation by other kingdoms.
    So again you have been deluded by King James Perversion

LXX did same kind of thing, only different:

12. εἶπεν δὲ ὁ θεὸς μωυσεῖ λέγων ὅτι ἔσομαι μετὰ σοῦ καὶ τοῦτό σοι τὸ σημεῖον ὅτι ἐγώ σε ἐξαποστέλλω ἐν τῷ ἐξαγαγεῖν σε τὸν λαόν μου ἐξ Aἰγύπτου καὶ λατρεύσετε τῷ θεῷ ἐν τῷ ὄρει τούτῳ

13. καὶ εἶπεν μωυσῆς πρὸς τὸν θεόν ἰδοὺ ἐγὼ ἐλεύσομαι πρὸς τοὺς υἱοὺς Iσραηλ καὶ ἐρῶ πρὸς αὐτούς ὁ θεὸς τῶν πατέρων ὑμῶν ἀπέσταλκέν με πρὸς ὑμᾶς ἐρωτήσουσίν με τί ὄνομα αὐτῷ τί ἐρῶ πρὸς αὐτούς

14. καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεὸς πρὸς μωυσῆν ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν καὶ εἶπεν οὕτως ἐρεῖς τοῖς υἱοῖς Iσραηλ ὁ ὢν ἀπέσταλκέν με πρὸς ὑμᾶς

Vulgata also, but again different:

12 qui dixit ei ero tecum et hoc habebis signum quod miserim te cum eduxeris populum de Aegypto immolabis Deo super montem istum

13 ait Moses ad Deum ecce ego vadam ad filios Israhel et dicam eis Deus patrum vestrorum misit me ad vos si dixerint mihi quod est nomen eius quid dicam eis

14 dixit Deus ad Mosen ego sum qui sum ait sic dices filiis Israhel qui est misit me ad vos

Revelation 1:8,

Ἐγώ εἰμι τὸ Ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ω, λέγει κύριος ὁ θεός, ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος, ὁ παντοκράτωρ.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord (= Hashem) God, who is and who was and who is coming, the one who holds sway over all things

Ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὢν said to be after LXX Exodus 3:14

ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος said to be after Isaiah 41:4,
    Who worked and did, Who calls the generations from the beginning; I, the Lord, am first, and with the last ones I am He.
    LXX τίς ἐνήργησεν καὶ ἐποίησεν ταῦτα ἐκάλεσεν αὐτὴν ὁ καλῶν αὐτὴν ἀπὸ γενεῶν ἀρχῆς ἐγὼ θεὸς πρῶτος καὶ εἰς τὰ ἐπερχόμενα ἐγώ εἰμι

ὁ παντοκράτωρ after LXX Amos 3:13,
    ἀκούσατε καὶ ἐπιμαρτύρασθε τῷ οἴκῳ Iακωβ λέγει κύριος ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ

which translates אֱלֹהֵי הַצְּבָאוֹת = God of the Hosts.

Thread Information