Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    15,146

    Street Epistemology: Learn the difference between knowledge and faith

    Learn the difference between knowledge and faith:

    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Enschede / Netherlands
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    Learn the difference between knowledge and faith:

    Knowledge isn't faithful.

    Knowledge is just true until the opposite is proven.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    Learn the difference between knowledge and faith:

    I especially related to the part of the video where he talks about starting at the point of saying "I don't know" and then asking questions. I began my journey out of the Christian faith with "asking questions" and then diligently seeking their answers with an open mind.
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

    To know oneself is to know the universe...


    Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

    Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

    Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    ********************************
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvius View Post
    Knowledge isn't faithful.

    Knowledge is just true until the opposite is proven.
    All knowledge is faithful, or it is not knowledge.

    So-called "knowledge" that is proven false never was really knowledge.

    This is the central problem of epistemology. What is knowledge? Many philosophers like the definition "justified true belief". This definition defines knowledge as a kind of belief. And this brings us back to the central point of the video which defines "faith" as "pretending to know things you don't know."

    The problem with the definition of knowledge as "justified true belief" centers on the problem of justification. Religious faith does away with this in one fell swoop, by asserting that all you must do is "believe" without any evidence of any kind. They might pretend to base their beliefs on evidence, but that's not really true.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Enschede / Netherlands
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    All knowledge is faithful, or it is not knowledge.

    So-called "knowledge" that is proven false never was really knowledge.

    This is the central problem of epistemology. What is knowledge? Many philosophers like the definition "justified true belief". This definition defines knowledge as a kind of belief. And this brings us back to the central point of the video which defines "faith" as "pretending to know things you don't know."

    The problem with the definition of knowledge as "justified true belief" centers on the problem of justification. Religious faith does away with this in one fell swoop, by asserting that all you must do is "believe" without any evidence of any kind. They might pretend to base their beliefs on evidence, but that's not really true.

    There is some professor physics, he comes from the Netherlands but lives in America, who has 100 % trust in physical laws. To demonstrate his faith he does many seemingly dangerous tests, like letting go from his hands from before his head a leaden ball that hangs on a rope from the ceiling, lke a giant pendulum. He just remains quietly standing on his spot while the ball comes pendels back to him with great velocity.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvius View Post
    There is some professor physics, he comes from the Netherlands but lives in America, who has 100 % trust in physical laws. To demonstrate his faith he does many seemingly dangerous tests, like letting go from his hands from before his head a leaden ball that hangs on a rope from the ceiling, lke a giant pendulum. He just remains quietly standing on his spot while the ball comes pendels back to him with great velocity.
    There's no danger of any kind in his demonstration of his "faith" because it is not "faith" but rather knowledge. He knows that the ball will never hit him in the face. It follows from the law of the conservation of energy.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Enschede / Netherlands
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    There's no danger of any kind in his demonstration of his "faith" because it is not "faith" but rather knowledge. He knows that the ball will never hit him in the face. It follows from the law of the conservation of energy.
    Yet it is faith.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvius View Post
    Yet it is faith.
    Not true. Knowledge involves the concept of justification of belief. Mere faith without justification is the antithesis of knowledge. That's the point of the video. I already explained this but you apparently chose to ignore what I wrote (or simply did not understand it). Here it is again:

    This is the central problem of epistemology. What is knowledge? Many philosophers like the definition "justified true belief". This definition defines knowledge as a kind of belief. And this brings us back to the central point of the video which defines "faith" as "pretending to know things you don't know."
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvius View Post
    Yet it is faith.
    What one could say is that the professor has faith in his knowledge of the facts of physics, which is quite different from having faith in an unknown.
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

    To know oneself is to know the universe...


    Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

    Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

    Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    ********************************
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    East of West!
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    What one could say is that the professor has faith in his knowledge of the facts of physics, which is quite different from having faith in an unknown.
    Hi Rose:

    I am kind of jumping in the middle of this convo... I think you make an excellent point.... The definition of the word faith. The idea that faith is substance or real is also made by the definition given in the Bible. The issue is how that substance is realized. Jesus in His speach to doubting Thomas clearly says that Thomas believed because he had touched and felt the "evidence". Then Jesus says, John 20:29 "Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

    So the comparison here is one of hard evidence substantiated by the senses as fact and real truth believed in spite of the lack of "physical" evidence. The latter is true faith. The issue is not if the facts themselves are real and true but if there is a way to accept these REAL facts in the lack of physical, tactile evidence! Let's get this straight once and for all do not confuse the two "types" of faith. You do not even believe in GOD at all - any god! So for you to act like you can talk about faith simply because you in the past were a "Christian" is insane! I do not mean to be rude but you simply are not credible in your observations about true religion or spirituality. You do not really have a grasp on anything having to do with faith in the biblical sense of the word. Your perspective is far too jilted....

    Namaste,

    Mystykal
    Mystykal

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •