Quote Originally Posted by sylvius View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough
Tell me, how would the Bible refer to an event that was actually going to happen "soon"? Are you saying that's impossible?
"near" and "soon" are relative notions.

The first word of Revelation reveals already that it is not about future events.

1Ἀποκάλυψις Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, ἣν ἔδωκεν αὐτῷ ὁ θεός, δεῖξαι τοῖς δούλοις αὐτοῦ ἃ δεῖ γενέσθαι ἐν τάχει, καὶ ἐσήμανεν ἀποστείλας διὰ τοῦ ἀγγέλου αὐτοῦ τῷ δούλῳ αὐτοῦ Ἰωάννῃ, 2ὃς ἐμαρτύρησεν τὸν λόγον τοῦ θεοῦ καὶ τὴν μαρτυρίαν Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, ὅσα εἶδεν. 3μακάριος ὁ ἀναγινώσκων καὶ οἱ ἀκούοντες τοὺς λόγους τῆς προφητείας καὶ τηροῦντες τὰ ἐν αὐτῇ γεγραμμένα, ὁ γὰρ καιρὸς ἐγγύς

Ἀποκάλυψις - from καλύπτω = cover, hide

It is about the uncovering of hidden things.

Especially about the uncovering of God's name hidden in the initial letters of "yom hashishi vay'chulu hashamyim", the very central theme of NT.

Revelation 13:18 reads: "Here is the wisdom! Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, etc"

If he meant Caesar Nero he could have said it straightways: "Caesar Nero is the beast".
You didn't answer my question. Tell me, how would the Bible refer to an event that was actually going to happen "soon"? Are you saying that's impossible?

Your assertion that the Apocalypse is "about the uncovering of hidden things" is not entirely accurate. It is not about the uncovering of "things" but rather the uncovering of the person Jesus Christ. It declares many events that would happen "soon" for the time was "at hand."

Your hobby horse doesn't make any sense. As far as I know, you have never explained how "yom hashishi vay'chulu hashamyim" has anything to do with "the very central theme of NT."

Your assertion that John could have spoken explicitly, saying "Caesar Nero is the beast," is absurd in the context of Revelation where everything is presented in symbols.

Interesting LXX Daniel 12:4,
καὶ σύ δανιηλ κάλυψον τὰ προστάγματα καὶ σφράγισαι τὸ βιβλίον ἕως καιροῦ συντελείας ἕως ἂν ἀπομανῶσιν οἱ πολλοὶ καὶ πλησθῇ ἡ γῆ ἀδικίας

12:9,
καὶ εἶπέν μοι ἀπότρεχε δανιηλ ὅτι κατακεκαλυμμένα καὶ ἐσφραγισμένα τὰ προστάγματα ἕως ἂν

So here καλύπτω is used tot translate Hebrew "satam"

v.4,
וְאַתָּה דָנִיֵּאל, סְתֹם הַדְּבָרִים וַחֲתֹם הַסֵּפֶר--עַד-עֵת קֵץ; יְשֹׁטְטוּ רַבִּים, וְתִרְבֶּה הַדָּעַת

v.9
וַיֹּאמֶר, לֵךְ דָּנִיֵּאל: כִּי-סְתֻמִים וַחֲתֻמִים הַדְּבָרִים, עַד-עֵת קֵץ

Daniel ending with a play on the letters "mem-s'tumah" (closed Mem) "nun-p'shutah" (outstretched Nun);

v.13,
וְאַתָּה, לֵךְ לַקֵּץ; וְתָנוּחַ וְתַעֲמֹד לְגֹרָלְךָ, לְקֵץ הַיָּמִין.

so instead of "l'keits hayamim" it reads "l'keits hayamin"

"yamin" = right hand.

Mark 14:62,
Then Jesus answered, “I am; and

‘you will see the Son of Man

seated at the right hand of the Power

and coming with the clouds of heaven.’”
The relation between κάλυψον and סְתֹם is self-evident - they are synonyms. It has nothing to do with the "closed Mem." The word just happens to end with Mem Sofit which is always "closed." It's fine if you want to read your esoteric philosophy into the text, but there is no reason to think that is what Daniel intended.

coming = ἐρχόμενος , a participium praesens, present participle

the coming one = ὁ ἐρχόμενος

He is coming all of the time, every single moment new,

which is also the clue of the sayings "I am the Alpha and the Omega"

ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος,

who is and who was and who is coming
By your logic, if that's what the John meant he could have simply said so. But he didn't. You are making up your own meanings of the words.