Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Why must the nation grieve with God?

A good article by Lawrence Krauss on the Sandy Hook Massacre.

Editor's note: Lawrence M. Krauss is director of the Origins Project at Arizona State University. His most recent book, "A Universe from Nothing," will appear in paperback next month.

(CNN) -- The horrific events in Newtown are unfathomable. Asking "why?" is natural at times like this, but intuitively it is clear that there cannot be any good reason for what was truly a senseless massacre.
    It is impossible not to grieve with the families in Newtown, Connecticut, who have experienced such tremendous loss, just as it is impossible to not hope for anything that can provide some comfort.
    All of us who have had children in primary school at one time or another stopped in our tracks when we heard the news, just as President Barack Obama did, as we tried to imagine how we would have coped had something so horrendous happened in our own child's school.

But why must the nation grieve with God? After Newtown, a memorial service was held in which 10 clergy and Obama offered Hebrew, Christian and Muslim prayers, with the president stating: " 'Let the little children come to me,' Jesus said, 'and do not hinder them. For such belongs to the kingdom of Heaven.' God has called them all home. For those of us who remain, let us find the strength to carry on."
    Why must it be a natural expectation that any such national tragedy will be accompanied by prayers, including from the president, to at least one version of the very God, who apparently in his infinite wisdom, decided to call 20 children between the age of 6 and 7 home by having them slaughtered by a deranged gunman in a school that one hopes should have been a place of nourishment, warmth and growth?
    We are told the Lord works in mysterious ways but, for many people, to suggest there might be an intelligent deity who could rationally act in such a fashion and that that deity is worth praying to and thanking for "calling them home" seems beyond the pale.

Let me be clear that there may be many grieving families in Newtown and around the country who have turned to their faith for solace in this difficult time. No caring person would begrudge them this right to ease their pain. But the question that needs to be asked is why, as a nation, do we have to institutionalize the notion that religion must play a central role at such times, with the president as the clergyman-in-chief?
    Since this tragedy, cable TV networks have been flooded with calls to faith and have turned to numerous clergy as if, as a matter of principle, they have something special or caring to offer. Often what they provide is quite the opposite.
    On CNN the other day, Bishop Robert Wright of the Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta suggested that people who don't have faith in his deity can only go so far in our emotional capacities to love and forgive, that without faith "we lack the strength to take us the full way of ourselves, the best of ourselves."
    Besides being offensive, this is nonsense. We don't need faith to empathize with the grieving in Newtown. We can feel real connections, whether we are parents, or neighbors of families, or simply caring men and women. And we can want to help simply because of our common humanity.

Why does television automatically turn to clergy for advice on how to meet our needs, spiritual or otherwise?
    Later on television, I saw media Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, who used to claim to be the personal spiritual guide of Michael Jackson, until that presumably became less sellable. I also once had the displeasure of debating him on the subject of evolution, which he essentially rejects, offering admonition to those who, with very good reason, may question a God who could willingly allow the slaughter of children. I would argue that times like these are very good times to question your faith in deities.

It gets worse. Television host and former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee suggested that because we are keeping God out of schools, the Deity chose not to stop the slaughter of these young innocents. (Or, to put it more bluntly, "If you don't invite me to the party, I will kill your kids!") If this were remotely believable, who would want to pray to such a fickle and pompous deity?
    I feel particularly sad for the grieving parents who might not be Christian, Jewish or Muslim. Besides learning that they are somehow lacking in empathy or goodness or the ability to heal, little guidance is being provided to those who among them have decided that they cannot believe in a sometimes violent and irascible God or who in fact have found their faith in God in question as a result of this tragedy. For these people, as for me, the thought that God has "called their children home" is simply offensive.

Why can't we as a nation focus on consoling the families in their grief by focusing on the most important realities, the lives of the children they have lost, celebrating their memory and sharing our common love of family, of children, and of our common humanity and perhaps most importantly arguing that this tragedy may one day not be completely in vain: That a shocked nation might rationally decide that assault weapons are meant to kill many people in a short time, not to hunt for deer or defend one's home.
    If instead of automatically assuming that prayers to a deity callous enough to allow this sickness, or worse, to encourage it out of divine retribution, are what families in grief need from their president and from the media, that we focused on rational grief counseling and community support, including better mental health care combined with sensible gun control, we as a society might ultimately act more effectively to stop this madness.
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Not from this world...from the other side
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    It's the same as saying why should the whole nation grieved? For obvious reason as empathy and emotional support. You may even blamed it on God which will offers some powerful emotional or psychological support. Isn't that good? Jesus said, "28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11).

The tragedy at Sandy Hooks is caused by human stupidity, why allow ordinary people to possess such efficient killing machines as rifles and guns? Might as well allow ordinary people to possess atomic and chemical weapons. In my country which banned the public strictly from possessing firearms, there is No incident at all of mass killings by firearms... Never Has!. The only firearms massacre that I know of in my country is in WW2 where the Japs massacred several thousands of civilians. Same as with many countries that banned public from possessing firearms, there is hardly any massacre from firearms by ordinary people. I believe those incidents tells us about human stupidity that is to be blamed which includes Fukushima nuclear disasters, Chernobyl nuclear disaster...why used fission energy when solar energy is free and safe... why built on earthquake prone areas? etc. Why built cars that pollute and warm the earth and caused massive jams? etc. It is only through realization of human stupidity that humans will learn the mistakes and make good such as the stricter safer procedures done after the aftermath of the Fukushima nuclear disasters, the possible stricter firearms control measures in the US, car pollution control measures etc. Therefore such disasters caused by human stupidity did not go in vain. It's perhaps a way in which God shows human stupidity and forced them to find better solutions. Imagine how cleaner the world will be if we used hydrogen or electric vehicles since the invention of automobiles.

God works in mysterious ways, the loss of life looks cruel but there are ways in which God may make good. Examples include, the loss of lives in WW2, was perhaps made good by the general peace we have after that, the establishment of the United Nations to ensure peace and harmony and better co-operation among nations etc. Therefore, when we look at the disaster at Sandy Hooks, we should hold the hope that better and safer times for all are coming. The lose of children lives is not without hope in which God may compensate mysteriously such as better children, more fortunes, longevity, reincarnation, forgiveness of sins, a safer place etc. This is evident in Job who lost his children and wealth as stated in the Bible which God later compensated him after he repented with more children and more wealth. Don't we want to pray that God will compensate much more to those people who lost their children in Sandy Hooks massacre due to human stupidity? Is it moral to do so?

Job 42:10 After Job had prayed for his friends, the Lord restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before. 11 All his brothers and sisters and everyone who had known him before came and ate with him in his house. They comforted and consoled him over all the trouble the Lord had brought on him, and each one gave him a piece of silver[a] and a gold ring.

12 The Lord blessed the latter part of Job’s life more than the former part. He had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen and a thousand donkeys. 13 And he also had seven sons and three daughters. 14 The first daughter he named Jemimah, the second Keziah and the third Keren-Happuch. 15 Nowhere in all the land were there found women as beautiful as Job’s daughters, and their father granted them an inheritance along with their brothers.

16 After this, Job lived a hundred and forty years; he saw his children and their children to the fourth generation. 17 And so Job died, an old man and full of years.

May God compensate us for our misfortunes.
    Last edited by CWH; 12-30-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

LoveWins Guest

Bottom line,God created the darkness and the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    God created the darkness and the light.The answers are much harder for us to fully explain or comprehend.But what I've notice is as the darkness grows even darker,the light increases it's intensity.Eventually light will eclipse all the darkness in this world.Some people chose to grow darker and colder during times like these,some look for an opportunity to bring light into peoples lives.A good question to ask yourself is,"What would these children want us to do?"Would they want us to use their deaths as a platform for a political agenda?or the media to exploit them for ratings?I would hope that it would be to grow closer to our children,learn how they're feeling,and renew relationships with people whom we love.

Thread Information