Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are synchronicities real?

The word "synchronicity" was coined by psychologist Carl Jung to describe "meaningful coincidences" that are not connected by any known causal mechanism. Here is a description from the wiki:

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    The idea of synchronicity is that the conceptual relationship of minds, defined as the relationship between ideas, is intricately structured in its own logical way and gives rise to relationships that are not causal in nature. These relationships can manifest themselves as simultaneous occurrences that are meaningfully related.
    Synchronistic events reveal an underlying pattern, a conceptual framework that encompasses, but is larger than, any of the systems that display the synchronicity. The suggestion of a larger framework is essential to satisfy the definition of synchronicity as originally developed by Carl Gustav Jung.[3]

Jung coined the word to describe what he called "temporally coincident occurrences of acausal events." Jung variously described synchronicity as an "acausal connecting principle", "meaningful coincidence" and "acausal parallelism". Jung introduced the concept as early as the 1920s, but gave a full statement of it only in 1951 in an Eranos lecture[4] and in 1952, published a paper, Synchronizität als ein Prinzip akausaler Zusammenhänge (Synchronicity — An Acausal Connecting Principle),[5] in a volume with a related study by the physicist (and Nobel laureate) Wolfgang Pauli.[6]

It was a principle that Jung felt gave conclusive evidence for his concepts of archetypes and the collective unconscious,[7] in that it was descriptive of a governing dynamic that underlies the whole of human experience and history — social, emotional, psychological, and spiritual. Concurrent events that first appear to be coincidental but later turn out to be causally related are termed incoincident.

Jung believed that many experiences that are coincidences due to chance in terms of causality suggested the manifestation of parallel events or circumstances in terms of meaning, reflecting this governing dynamic.[8]
    Even at Jung's presentation of his work on synchronicity in 1951 at an Eranos lecture, his ideas on synchronicity were still evolving. Following discussions with both Albert Einstein and Wolfgang Pauli, Jung believed that there were parallels between synchronicity and aspects of relativity theory and quantum mechanics.[9] Jung was transfixed by the idea that life was not a series of random events but rather an expression of a deeper order, which he and Pauli referred to as Unus mundus. This deeper order led to the insights that a person was both embedded in an orderly framework and was the focus of that orderly framework and that the realisation of this was more than just an intellectual exercise, but also having elements of a spiritual awakening. From the religious perspective, synchronicity shares similar characteristics of an "intervention of grace". Jung also believed that in a person's life, synchronicity served a role similar to that of dreams, with the purpose of shifting a person's egocentric conscious thinking to greater wholeness.
    Some skeptics think that synchronicity "is more simply and elegantly explained by the ability of the human mind to find meaning and significance where there is none (apophenia)." There are very good reasons to take this skeptical approach since there are endless examples of folks seeing patterns in meaningless random data. Anyone familiar with my discussions on this forum knows that I have very high standards to discern between chance and "meaningful coincidence." But the skeptics approach seems to be inadequate to explain data that I have collected in my life. I now will present one of the prime examples.

On February 13, 1988 I began a 3000 mile bicycle trip that I thought of as a "vision quest." I had recently quit working on my Ph.D. on the topic of Time Irreversibility in Quantum Physics because I encountered problems I could not solve. I was looking for new direction in my life and fresh inspiration. Here is the entry from my journal from the first day of my trip (click on the image if it doesn't all show):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bike_journal_pg1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	306.8 KB 
ID:	689

The trip turned out to be one of the most amazing, joyous, and fruitful adventures in my life. It renewed my faith in humanity as I met person after person who took in this stranger on his bike adventure and shared food, shelter, conversation and laughs. The fresh ocean air, open skies, and 60 mile daily rides transformed my body and my mind (the two are connected, you know).

On February 13, 1992 (four years later to the very day), I went for a vigorous bike ride. It was a beautiful day. It reminded me of the first day of my vision quest, so when I got home I found my old journal and read the first page. Then I went down to my favorite bar in Seattle, the Blue Moon on 45th St. As I drank my beer, I glanced down at the table and found a piece of paper folded and stuck in a crevice. Here it is:

Name:	vision_quest_flyer.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	690

I was stunned. The date was February 13. The flyer was for the Vision Quest Gallery in Edmonds, Washington - the town where I caught the ferry to cross Puget Sound to get to Kingston on the Olympic Peninsula exactly four years prior. Here is what I wrote in my journal a few minutes after finding the flyer:

Name:	vision_quest_syncrhonicity_1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	691

I'm still trying to answer those questions. What are the implications? What does this tell me? How did that piece of paper get there?

I would be very interested to know if anyone else has had this kind of synchronicity that involves specific details like dates and places. It seems to me that the skeptic answer is obviously insufficient to explain what happened. It's possible, of course, that this was a "mere coincidence" but that's not a very satisfying answer, especially since I've had a number of other highly detailed synchronicities. I think they are real and meaningful, and they point to a deep underlying order to reality that must be based on meaning, that is, Mind. This is one of the reasons I tend towards the idea that Mind is the "Ground of Being."

I invite all readers to comment and to share any synchronicities they may have experienced.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

you think the mind is the ground of being too? maybe I don't know what you mean though.

to me the mind is the first reality, the invisible reality and the true self, the thoughts of God, the children of God.

i have read some of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick some of his works after he had an accident and his brain was hurt somehow. he had a very powerful vision and many things happened to him, he is considered a gnostic hero. I need to read all that he wrote but he did say a lot of interesting things. he had talked about some other form of time that he called "spiritual time" and he was saying how when Christ died on the cross that spiritual time shifted somehow and that it is a reality that is constantly here, past the veil of this universe and past normal time. I still don't have enough facets and comprehensions to see it all connect but the time that is in this universe is very weird to me now. i think that Christ dying on the cross altered and completely shifted reality but we don't see it yet, it needs a little bit more time to fully bleed through to this reality which will then be called light rather than darkness. the spiritual time is some kind of higher reality and true "time" to the minds of each being. we are both outside this universe and eternal and yet our eternal self somehow did everything in this universe that we are now doing but it was like an instant according to the perspective of our eternal being/mind.

I wish I could see it more clearly, spiritual time is like the true reality of what is attained but at the same time we are united to God and so even our eternal selves are far past and beyond being an eternal being. it is not constricted to the rules and laws of normal time. it is like the more we wake up spiritually, the more we see that only the finite mind ( normal human mind ) is inside of this universe and time. there are some kind of higher rules of reality that enable the comprehensions on a spiritual level of spiritual writings and indeed everything we do and go through in a higher and more real form of knowledge. this I believe to be our eternal minds contemplation of what we did in this universe and learning many truths that we were not able to contemplate while being here in this earth in a lesser state, like he is looking back and studying what happened in a more detailed manner now and reflecting on God by contemplating it. this is how I think all the things adding up can add up, how we sometimes notice some kind of complex weaving of everything we go through. our real being had already saw everything instantly and in this time we are playing it all out now. i had seen this a little with going outside of this universe and understanding that things are ordered in this universe from before it was even created. I had recently one time saw myself all the sudden taking a step back from this universe and it was like all my life was one word and a quick instance and it was all compressed into one thing rather than a time and a playing out of events. i saw it as one single moment of who I am, and now things are playing out as such in this lower dimension. I think the "my life flashed before my eyes" that some people go through could also possibly be related to attempting to describe being in this universes process of time vs being outside of time and in a higher dimension for short instance.

this is just mostly musings at this point though, i don't comprehend it at all at this point. i just know that i am told that our steps are ordered from before the beginning and I think that has something to do with our higher self being awake in this world of time. we will do what he was going to do, while the ones less awake will not fully complete what they are going and attaining but will in the next shift of ages, which is a raising up or as a darkness that was really so much light that right now in this universe it blinded us ( it blinded an eternal being! the eternal self saw something greater than eternities! ), the light that is coming that i call the next age is our eyes finally adjusting to the overwhelming light that is called by me, darkness and this current age. it was like an eternal being getting a supermanifestation of God and now he we going through it all as we always go through things with God. like first God thinks it, and then us, his children are trying to process the information and progression that he gave us. but it is weird because there is no such thing as movement or time within God so it is hard to explain how there is even a progression of better to better to God when we are directly united with him. but we are small and it is all like a constant tide of being being poured out on us. there is also some kind of mystery about being an eternal being and we can somehow progress past being that to something higher and we will one "day" attain to that, since what God is, is something truly incomprehensible we are going to constantly be "filling in his shoes and foot steps". I had seen it in a simple vision where we are a tiny dot of color and God is a vast and never ending color and we keep getting bigger but are never able to fill in the totality of the color of God.

anyways I hope that at least some of this was not pure gibberish.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnorm Noxot View Post
    you think the mind is the ground of being too? maybe I don't know what you mean though.

to me the mind is the first reality, the invisible reality and the true self, the thoughts of God, the children of God.
    Well, the concept of "ground of being" is rather philosophical, so it would take a bit of exploration to flesh out what different folks mean by that term. My comment was more of a "pointer" in a direction that I think might lead to fruitful insight. I would tend to say that it refers to "Ultimate Reality" rather than "invisible reality."

i have read some of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick some of his works after he had an accident and his brain was hurt somehow. he had a very powerful vision and many things happened to him, he is considered a gnostic hero. I need to read all that he wrote but he did say a lot of interesting things. he had talked about some other form of time that he called "spiritual time" and he was saying how when Christ died on the cross that spiritual time shifted somehow and that it is a reality that is constantly here, past the veil of this universe and past normal time. I still don't have enough facets and comprehensions to see it all connect but the time that is in this universe is very weird to me now. i think that Christ dying on the cross altered and completely shifted reality but we don't see it yet, it needs a little bit more time to fully bleed through to this reality which will then be called light rather than darkness. the spiritual time is some kind of higher reality and true "time" to the minds of each being. we are both outside this universe and eternal and yet our eternal self somehow did everything in this universe that we are now doing but it was like an instant according to the perspective of our eternal being/mind.
    I wrote a little something about Philip K. Dick some years ago because he wrote a book The Divine Invasion that said the Bible was a hologram and that fit well with my view of it. Here is a snippet from his story:
    After dinner he spent some time with the holoscope, studying Elias's most precious possession: the Bible expressed as layers at different depths within the hologram, each layer according to age. The total structure of Scripture formed, then, a three dimensional cosmos that could be viewed from any angle and its contents read. According to the tilt of the axis of observation, differing messages could be extracted. Thus Scripture yielded up an infinitude of knowledge that ceaselessly changed. It became a wondrous work of art, beautiful to the eye, and incredible in its pulsations of color. Throughout it red and gold pulsed, with strands of blue.
    A source of Dick's inspiration is quite intriguing. Here's what the wiki says:
    On February 20, 1974, while recovering from the effects of sodium pentothal administered for the extraction of an impacted wisdom tooth, Dick received a home delivery of Darvon from a young woman. When he opened the door, he was struck by the beauty of the dark-haired girl and was especially drawn to her golden necklace. He asked her about its curious fish-shaped design. "This is a sign used by the early Christians," she said, and then left. Dick called the symbol the "vesicle pisces". This name seems to have been based on his conflation of two related symbols, the Christian ichthys symbol (two intersecting arcs delineating a fish in profile) which the woman was wearing, and the vesica piscis.[citation needed]

Dick recounted that as the sun glinted off the gold pendant, the reflection caused the generation of a "pink beam" that mesmerized him. Dick came to believe the beam imparted wisdom and clairvoyance; he also believed it to be intelligent. On one occasion, Dick was startled by the pink beam. It imparted the information to him that his infant son was ill. The Dicks rushed the child to the hospital where Dick's suspicion and his diagnosis were confirmed.[26]

After the woman's departure, Dick began experiencing strange hallucinations. Although initially attributing them to his medication, after weeks of hallucinations he considered this explanation implausible. "I experienced an invasion of my mind by a transcendentally rational mind, as if I had been insane all my life and suddenly I had become sane," Dick told Charles Platt.[27]

Throughout February and March 1974, Dick experienced a series of hallucinations, which he referred to as "2-3-74", shorthand for February–March 1974. Aside from the "pink beam", Dick described the initial hallucinations as geometric patterns, and, occasionally, brief pictures of Jesus and ancient Rome. As the hallucinations increased in length and frequency, Dick claimed he began to live two parallel lives, one as himself, "Philip K. Dick", and one as "Thomas", a Christian persecuted by Romans in the 1st century AD. He referred to the "transcendentally rational mind" as "Zebra", "God" and "VALIS". Dick wrote about the experiences, first in the semi-autobiographical novel Radio Free Albemuth and then in VALIS, The Divine Invasion and the unfinished The Owl in Daylight (the VALIS trilogy).

At one point Dick felt that he had been taken over by the spirit of the prophet Elijah. He believed that an episode in his novel Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said was a detailed retelling of a story from the Biblical Book of Acts, which he had never read.[28] Dick documented and discussed his experiences and faith in a private journal, later published as The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick.
    It seems he spontaneously experienced something very similar to the state of consciousness evoked by a psychedelic medicine like LSD or psilocybin which can lead to authentic experiences of Ultimate Reality, though the interpretation of those experiences can be quite idiosyncratic and confused. His experiences sound similar to those of other folks who feel they have "seen behind the curtain."

I wish I could see it more clearly, spiritual time is like the true reality of what is attained but at the same time we are united to God and so even our eternal selves are far past and beyond being an eternal being. it is not constricted to the rules and laws of normal time. it is like the more we wake up spiritually, the more we see that only the finite mind ( normal human mind ) is inside of this universe and time. there are some kind of higher rules of reality that enable the comprehensions on a spiritual level of spiritual writings and indeed everything we do and go through in a higher and more real form of knowledge. this I believe to be our eternal minds contemplation of what we did in this universe and learning many truths that we were not able to contemplate while being here in this earth in a lesser state, like he is looking back and studying what happened in a more detailed manner now and reflecting on God by contemplating it. this is how I think all the things adding up can add up, how we sometimes notice some kind of complex weaving of everything we go through. our real being had already saw everything instantly and in this time we are playing it all out now. i had seen this a little with going outside of this universe and understanding that things are ordered in this universe from before it was even created. I had recently one time saw myself all the sudden taking a step back from this universe and it was like all my life was one word and a quick instance and it was all compressed into one thing rather than a time and a playing out of events. i saw it as one single moment of who I am, and now things are playing out as such in this lower dimension. I think the "my life flashed before my eyes" that some people go through could also possibly be related to attempting to describe being in this universes process of time vs being outside of time and in a higher dimension for short instance.
    I can relate to all that you said. Again, it sounds like "seeing behind the scene" of our present, localized, finite, earthbound consciousness. You did a good job of "effing the ineffable."

this is just mostly musings at this point though, i don't comprehend it at all at this point. i just know that i am told that our steps are ordered from before the beginning and I think that has something to do with our higher self being awake in this world of time. we will do what he was going to do, while the ones less awake will not fully complete what they are going and attaining but will in the next shift of ages, which is a raising up or as a darkness that was really so much light that right now in this universe it blinded us ( it blinded an eternal being! the eternal self saw something greater than eternities! ), the light that is coming that i call the next age is our eyes finally adjusting to the overwhelming light that is called by me, darkness and this current age. it was like an eternal being getting a supermanifestation of God and now he we going through it all as we always go through things with God. like first God thinks it, and then us, his children are trying to process the information and progression that he gave us. but it is weird because there is no such thing as movement or time within God so it is hard to explain how there is even a progression of better to better to God when we are directly united with him. but we are small and it is all like a constant tide of being being poured out on us. there is also some kind of mystery about being an eternal being and we can somehow progress past being that to something higher and we will one "day" attain to that, since what God is, is something truly incomprehensible we are going to constantly be "filling in his shoes and foot steps". I had seen it in a simple vision where we are a tiny dot of color and God is a vast and never ending color and we keep getting bigger but are never able to fill in the totality of the color of God.
    Philip K. Dick called "it" VALIS = Vast Active Living Intelligent System. Unfortunately, he also fell into conspiracy theories and other irrationalities. I respect visions of a higher reality, but I am very skeptical when they seem to idiosyncratic, focused on self, and so forth. I think the danger is "ego inflation." It seems that our ego is supposed to "die" in order for our consciousness to expand and give us a glimpse of the WHOLE. The problem is when we mistakenly identify all that glory with our small, finite, ego-self. I'm not talking about your experience, but just general musings on the topic.

Great chatting,

Richard
    Last edited by Rose; 12-24-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Y'all iz tawkin' our language.

Richard, your vision quest is most intriguing.

Is not this VALIS one entity?

Is it so much synchronicity as it is not so much throwing off of the --as oh so many psychobabble rap-artist spin doctors label this term--"egoic" individualized identity assuming pluralities of entification?

In fact, whether or not our awareness is: capably perceiving a major multitude of things about us as a congruent whole, or seeing a dot-to-dot puzzle and connecting them by drawing lines between all associatively recognizable things about us, or even not capable of perceiving much of any of it at all...our existence is welded together by all 'things' that exist: "as it is," . . . They/"it" are/"is" this synchronicity.

Without one infinitesimal elemental factor, nothing would be like it is right now.

Out and away from duality beyond the temporal veil, quantum flux delineates all is one and one is all.

Scripture is hardly contrary to this fact. Rather, it is our own failures to penetrate the reality of just how fitting all things are and have their appropriate place in the schematics called here-and-now that makes us self-deceived.

Isn't it our own limited perspectives hindering us?
    . . . And this is the very reason that intellection and accompanying emotive factors (such as attitudes, beliefs, and other various outward expressions)--here at least--are seen as a resulting counterpart to "ground of being" and not it's essence. Even intuition and communion or the concourse of whatever forces find their expression through the existence of this consciousness, yet cannot really be this consciousness "as it is."

In our mystical Hebraic Chassidic tradition it is this very 'body of light' (aka: "neschamah" = consciousness) that actually gives rise to all the oh so many things multitudes of folks have misconstrued to be essentially the ground of being.

The other mistaken notion affiliate with the above is the idea that we are either/and/or 1)the source of & 2) possessor of this 'consciousness' rather than simply receivers of this 'gift' temporarily on loan to us.

CAN SOMEBODY SHOUT BACK ? ? ?

Isn't it the epitome of the human condition to dissect and compartmentalized everything we observe as usable never being fully capable of reintegrating them associatively as they persist IRL?

Each persons sense of reality--what a concept--"semi-manifests" according to each ones perceptive understandings manifested through preter-physical, para-physical, and/or simply physical volition.

Still wondering and wandering,

Timmy

PS: Physically, there really is no such thing as being or having. DOING IS ALL.
    The mind grows by taking in
    :Mesiras Nefesh:
    THE HEART GROWS BY GIVING OUT

Here is my small contribution to this subject.

I do not have any synchronicities that I can easily recall or can show any evidence of, and therefore, any synchronicities I have had, I have dismissed as insignificant. As a general remark, I wonder whether it has anything to do with the mental filters that we apply. At any time and in all manner of ways, synchronicities are passing us by.

As an example of our awareness due to the mind's filters of interest we apply, is that of when we buy a new car. Before we bought a new car, we might not have noticed all the cars of the same make/model/color passing us by. After our purchase, we suddenly notice all the other cars of the same make and model/color and whereas we thought not many of that make and model of car was on the road, we suddenly find there is.

It is the same with opportunities in our lives? Until we have a specific interest in our lives, we do not recognize the opportunities before us to do with that interest. It is not that the opportunities have never been there, they have been there all the time and we have simply not noticed them. Maybe this is the same with synchronicities, we do not make the connections until we have a specific interest.

Last night as I watched a video that included the Illuminati and their involvement with Hollywood, I did not consider their possible involvement with Hollywood. Is it coincidence or something more sinister that in many films made in Hollywood long before 9/11 happened, there are scenes in films which show images of the figure "9" and the figure "11" in the same shot? The Illuminati might well have had connections with people involved in the 9/11 terrorist disasters, but was the Illuminati actively leaving clues in films made many years earlier in Hollywood?

David
    Last edited by David M; 12-26-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    As a general remark, I wonder whether it has anything to do with the mental filters that we apply. At any time and in all manner of ways, synchronicities are passing us by. . .Until we have a specific interest in our lives, we do not recognize the opportunities before us to do with that interest. It is not that the opportunities have never been there, they have been there all the time and we have simply not noticed them. Maybe this is the same with synchronicities, we do not make the connections until we have a specific interest.

Last night as I watched a video that included the Illuminati and their involvement with Hollywood, I did not consider their possible involvement with Hollywood. Is it coincidence or something more sinister that in many films made in Hollywood long before 9/11 happened, there are scenes in films which show images of the figure "9" and the figure "11" in the same shot? The Illuminati might well have had connections with people involved in the 9/11 terrorist disasters, but was the Illuminati actively leaving clues in films made many years earlier in Hollywood?

David
    Hey David!
    HALLO!

I have gone back and watched digital videos made here prior to those mental filters breaking down when a so-called synchronicity is rationally realized. Most often, the syncing of such events are then immediately noted in observing the past digitally...which raised the question in this mind about how much of our existence is predetermined and how much is truly free will.

Thinking it all through, it was realized that it is actually the Illuminati preprogramming every moment of this life...and, at least in this quarter, they are not even enforcing me to donn wet wear to achieve this. What a blessing.

Just another water farer in the river of life? ? ? . ? ? ?

Persistently walking fast paced beside the river of life UPSTREAM. This is just because swimming and boating were a perceptual limitation by comparison...If not snail paced at times.

Ciao,

Timmy
    Last edited by Timmy; 01-27-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    The mind grows by taking in
    :Mesiras Nefesh:
    THE HEART GROWS BY GIVING OUT

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post

Y'all iz tawkin' our language.

Richard, your vision quest is most intriguing.

Is not this VALIS one entity?

Is it so much synchronicity as it is not so much throwing off of the --as oh so many psychobabble rap-artist spin doctors label this term--"egoic" individualized identity assuming pluralities of entification?
    Hey there Timmy! Good to hear from you. It's been a while.

It's good to find a bro that speaks my language.

I have not read Philip K. Dick's book VALIS but from what little I know, it sounds like a composite unity that encompasses everything. In other words, a kind of "God" though it need not be thought of in traditional ego-bound terms that we see in the theistic style religions that posit God as analogous to a "personal agent" that goes about doing things. The problem there is that our concept of personhood is based on our experience of finite beings and it doesn't make sense to me to speak of an omniscient, omnipotent, infinite person that exists independently of any "world." I think the theistic religions have projected the image of themselves and made it "god."

In fact, whether or not our awareness is: capably perceiving a major multitude of things about us as a congruent whole, or seeing a dot-to-dot puzzle and connecting them by drawing lines between all associatively recognizable things about us, or even not capable of perceiving much of any of it at all...our existence is welded together by all 'things' that exist: "as it is," . . . They/"it" are/"is" this synchronicity.

Without one infinitesimal elemental factor, nothing would be like it is right now.

Out and away from duality beyond the temporal veil, quantum flux delineates all is one and one is all.
    Yep. That makes some sense to me, though it is rather vague.

Scripture is hardly contrary to this fact. Rather, it is our own failures to penetrate the reality of just how fitting all things are and have their appropriate place in the schematics called here-and-now that makes us self-deceived.
    Scripture is "hardly contrary" to any fact, since it can be made to match pretty much any fact that enters the imagination of the interpreter.

Isn't it our own limited perspectives hindering us?
    . . . And this is the very reason that intellection and accompanying emotive factors (such as attitudes, beliefs, and other various outward expressions)--here at least--are seen as a resulting counterpart to "ground of being" and not it's essence. Even intuition and communion or the concourse of whatever forces find their expression through the existence of this consciousness, yet cannot really be this consciousness "as it is."

In our mystical Hebraic Chassidic tradition it is this very 'body of light' (aka: "neschamah" = consciousness) that actually gives rise to all the oh so many things multitudes of folks have misconstrued to be essentially the ground of being.
    I am not confident that we can assign definite meanings to neshamah vs. ruach. They seem to be more or less synonymous.

The other mistaken notion affiliate with the above is the idea that we are either/and/or 1)the source of & 2) possessor of this 'consciousness' rather than simply receivers of this 'gift' temporarily on loan to us.

CAN SOMEBODY SHOUT BACK ? ? ?
    I agree. We share in universal consciousness. I've been toying with the idea that the brain is like a lens that focuses the universal consciousness.

Isn't it the epitome of the human condition to dissect and compartmentalized everything we observe as usable never being fully capable of reintegrating them associatively as they persist IRL?
    Well, that certainly is the function of the left hemisphere. The right hemisphere is quite the opposite. It presents a holistic vision of reality to consciousness. This becomes quite evident when the left is disabled by a stroke, as explained in the excellent book My Stroke of Insight where neuroscientist Jill Bolte Taylor gives a first person account of right brain consciousness.

Here is a Ted Talk where she talks about her experience: http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_...f_insight.html

Still wondering and wandering,
    Me too!

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    Here is my small contribution to this subject.

I do not have any synchronicities that I can easily recall or can show any evidence of, and therefore, any synchronicities I have had, I have dismissed as insignificant. As a general remark, I wonder whether it has anything to do with the mental filters that we apply. At any time and in all manner of ways, synchronicities are passing us by.

As an example of our awareness due to the mind's filters of interest we apply, is that of when we buy a new car. Before we bought a new car, we might not have noticed all the cars of the same make/model/color passing us by. After our purchase, we suddenly notice all the other cars of the same make and model/color and whereas we thought not many of that make and model of car was on the road, we suddenly find there is.

It is the same with opportunities in our lives? Until we have a specific interest in our lives, we do not recognize the opportunities before us to do with that interest. It is not that the opportunities have never been there, they have been there all the time and we have simply not noticed them. Maybe this is the same with synchronicities, we do not make the connections until we have a specific interest.

David
    Hey there David,

Good insights. The brain and experience certainly "filter" information. I never noticed how many Subaru's there are on the road until I got one. The same thing happens when I learn a new song. Suddenly, I hear it everywhere. This also offers an explanation about how mind-expanding medicines like LSD work. Here is a description from neuroscientist Mark Lewis explains it:
    LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) goes to work in the brain by blocking serotonin receptors. Serotonin’s job is to reduce the firing rate of neurons that get too excited because of the volume or intensity of incoming information. Serotonin filters out unwanted noise, and normal brains rely on that. So, by blocking serotonin, LSD allows information to flow through the brain unchecked. It opens up the floodgates—what author Aldous Huxley called the “Doors of Perception”—and that’s just what it felt like the first time I took it.
    We also must remember that the left and right hemispheres present contradictory views of reality to our consciousness. To use computer analogies - the Left processes information sequentially (serial) while the right processes information simultaneously (in parallel). This is explained in some detail by Jill Bolte Taylor, who experienced the shut down of her left hemisphere and lived to tell about it, in this fascinating Ted Talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_...f_insight.html

As for the appearance of 9/11 before 9/11 - I don't think that implies anything about any "conspiracy." That seems as erroneous as suggesting that someone deliberately put that piece of paper commemorating my "vision quest" on the table in the bar on the anniversary. The whole point of synchronicities is that they are a manifestation of the Mind underlying Reality. They could not be engineered by ego-driven agents of a conspiracy.

Great chatting,

Richard

Check out my blog site

Apophenia is the (spontaneous?) perception of connections and meaningfulness of apparently unrelated phenomena.
    Like how the 'burning bush' seen by Moses could have anything to do with Bush41 and 43 of today,
    or whether there's any connection between God breathing into Adam, and Jesus breathing on his disciples, and 2Tim3:16. ??
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Quote Originally Posted by duxrow View Post
    Apophenia is the (spontaneous?) perception of connections and meaningfulness of apparently unrelated phenomena.

Like how the 'burning bush' seen by Moses could have anything to do with Bush41 and 43 of today,
    or whether there's any connection between God breathing into Adam, and Jesus breathing on his disciples, and 2Tim3:16. ??
    The Bush41/43 connection with the "burning bush" appears fits the definition of "apophenia" to a T.

But the association between Gen 2:7 and Jesus breathing on the disciples is much less of a stretch, since the story of Jesus is predicated upon Genesis.

You application to 2 Tim 3:16 is interesting because it suggests that the Bible could be just as fallacious as the humans who had been blown upon by Christ. Perhaps "inspiration" is meant in the sense of poets being "inspired" to express deep feelings in their own words. It was the "inspiration" that inspired them, but the words were their own expression. Have you considered this?

Check out my blog site

Thread Information