Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Does the Universe have a Purpose?

Food for thought...

Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

I think that's an excellent video. Neil Degrasse Tyson is one of the current rock star physicists/intellectuals.

There does not have to be a "meaning to life" for life to be meaningful.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Not from this world...from the other side
    Of course the universe have a purpose, they are used to observe time, days, months, seasons, years and holy days, see Genesis 1:

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness.

There is a universal language in which the revolution of the moon is used throughout most world languages to indicate month and the revolution of the earth round the sun to indicate year and the complete rotation of the earth is used to indicate a day.

e.g. The Chinese word for moon and month "yeh" has the same meaning.
    The Chinese word for sun and day "rhe" has the same meaning.

There seems to be some intelligent design on the phases of the moon to indicate days, a crescent moon indicate about 3 days have past, a half moon indicates about 1 week have past and 3/4 moon indicates about 10 days have past, no moon indicates 2 weeks have past and so on until the next full moon which indicates a month (about 28 days) have past. A year is thus about 13 "moons".

The ancients studied the moon, planets and stars in order to know the days and years and to indicate special days and holidays.

Moon 28 days
    Mercury 88 days
    Venus 224 days
    Earth 365 days = 1 year
    Mars 686 days = 1.8 years
    Jupiter 4,331 days = 11.8 years
    Saturn 10,832 days = 29.6 years
    Uranus 30,799 days = 84.3 years
    Neptune 60,190 days = 164.9 years
    (Pluto) 90,613 days = 248.2 years

Even the "galactic" year i.e. the years the sun took to revolve round our galaxy, the Milky Way, is used by some scientist to indicate vast amount of time about 230 million years.

The constellations serve useful purpose for space travellers of whom one day earthlings will become, to note directions and orientations and galactic years to note the time when travelling in space. In space, there is no compass and thus the only way to know directions and orientations is to note the constellations and the shape and positions of the different galaxies. The constellations were used by ancient navigators to help them travel round the globe.

It is generally believes that God created the whole universe but I do believe that he may just create our galaxy, the Milky Way alone at a different time based on the observation that different galaxies have different ages and dimensions. The Bible simply says that "He also made the stars".....

There is some interesting articles in the internet, one of which:

The Bible has much to say about the stars. Most basic to our understanding of the stars is that God created them. They show His power and majesty. The heavens are God’s “handiwork” (Psalm 8:3; 19:1). He has all the stars numbered and named (Psalm 147:4).

The Bible also teaches that God arranged the stars into recognizable groups that we call constellations. The Bible mentions three of these: Orion, the Bear (Ursa Major), and “the crooked serpent” (most likely Draco) in Job 9:9; 26:13; 38:31-32; and Amos 5:8. The same passages also reference the star group Pleiades (the Seven Stars). God is the One Who “fastens the bands” of these constellations; He is the One who brings them forth, each in its season.”“ In Job 38:32, God also points to the “Mazzaroth,” usually translated “constellations.” This is thought by many to be a reference to the twelve constellations of the zodiac.

The constellations have been tracked and studied for millennia. The Egyptians and Greeks knew of the zodiac and used it to measure the beginning of spring centuries before Christ. Much has been written of the meaning of the zodiacal constellations, including theories that they comprise an ancient display of God’s redemptive plan. For example, the constellation Leo can be seen as a celestial depiction of the Lion of the Tribe of Judah (Revelation 5:5), and Virgo could be a reminder of the virgin who bore Christ. However, the Bible does not indicate any “hidden meaning” for these or other constellations.

The Bible says that stars, along with the sun and moon, were given for “signs” and “seasons” (Genesis 1:14); that is, they were meant to mark time for us. They are also “signs” in the sense of navigational “indicators,” and all through history men have used the stars to chart their courses around the globe.

God used the stars as an illustration of His promise to give Abraham an innumerable seed (Genesis 15:5). Thus, every time Abraham looked up at the night sky, he had a reminder of God’s faithfulness and goodness. The final judgment of the earth will be accompanied by astronomical events relating to the stars (Isaiah 13:9-10; Joel 3:15; Matthew 26:29).

Astrology is the “interpretation” of an assumed influence the stars (and planets) exert on human destiny. This is a false belief. The royal astrologers of the Babylonian court were put to shame by God’s prophet Daniel (Daniel 1:20) and were powerless to interpret the king’s dream (Daniel 2:27). God specifies astrologers as among those who will be burned as stubble in God’s judgment (Isaiah 47:13-14). Astrology as a form of divination is expressly forbidden in Scripture (Deuteronomy 18:10-14). God forbade the children of Israel to worship or serve the “host of heaven” (Deuteronomy 4:19). Several times in their history, however, Israel fell into that very sin (2 Kings 17:16 is one example). Their worship of the stars brought God’s judgment each time.

The stars should awaken wonder at God’s power, wisdom, and infinitude. We should use the stars to keep track of time and place and to remind us of God’s faithful, covenant-keeping nature. All the while, we acknowledge the Creator of the heavens. Our wisdom comes from God, not the stars (James 1:5). The Word of God, the Bible, is our guide through life (Psalm 119:105).

God Bless His Creations.
    Last edited by CWH; 11-30-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    Of course the universe have a purpose, they are used to observe time, days, months, seasons, years and holy days, see Genesis 1:

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness.
    You totally and absolutely missed the point of the video. I'd explain it to you if I thought it would help.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Here are some of my thoughts by way of contributing to this subject.

Apart from some of the reasons given in Genesis 1:14, the usefulness of using the stars has been for determining the earth's position in relation to its annual orbit around the Sun. From our perspective on earth the two main advantages of the universe has been for determining our position on the earth. In the days before we had GPS and inertial navigation systems, the stars,the compass, and the sextant were used for navigation.

The galaxies beyond our own galaxy (Milky Way) are so far away that they appear fixed; they have no discernible change in their position as seen from earth during a human lifetime.

If all the galaxies did not exist and only our own solar system with Sun, Earth, and Moon existed, I doubt it would make any difference. The next nearest star in our own galaxy is calculated to be 4 light years away and too far away for that sun to have any affect on our solar system and the earth. If the rest of the universe other than our own solar system did not exist, think how different our conversation would be. We would still be wondering where the our solar system came from and we would not have a universe outside the solar system to talk about.

As such, if the universe has been made by a creator, it shows the power of the creator is more than can ever me measured or seen. Is it coincidental that the height of a man between one and two meters on the scale of 10 is placed in the middle of the measurable scale? From the size of the proton to the edge of space is a factor or 1 x 1040with 1020 taking us to the edge of the universe and 10-20taking us to the inner workings of the atom.

Just as it is impossible to count the number of atoms that make up a man, so it is impossible to count the number the stars in the universe. Who knows that the two numbers might be of the same order.

The wisdom of the Bible has not changed from the day is was penned. Those who do not have Wisdom will not understand or agree with what the psalmists have written concerning our understanding of the universe.

Psalm 2
    2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
    3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
    4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

Psalm 19
    1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handiwork.
    2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night showeth knowledge.

David
    Last edited by David M; 12-25-2012 at 08:36 AM.

About The Fundamental Principle of Biblical Hermeneutics as shown in Bible Wheel.....

My comment: Where in the Bible is it stated or is taught that a teaching in God’s Word needs to be restated two or three times in order for it to be established as something that we may teach as biblical truth?
    The examples given by the writer of the “The Fundamental Principle of Biblical Hermeneutics” are good examples of how we should approach the judging of crime with regard to civil disobedience. These examples of how we should judge people are not given to us as a method of judging scripture.
    ANYTHING written in The Word of God is truth, even if it is only stated just one time, and it may be taught as truth. When something is stated more than one time in scripture, it is simply being emphasized.
    The word of God will not be judged by the testimony of two, or three, or even a thousand witnesses. One truth will always stand up against a million falsehoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom222 View Post
    My comment: Where in the Bible is it stated or is taught that a teaching in God’s Word needs to be restated two or three times in order for it to be established as something that we may teach as biblical truth?
    The examples given by the writer of the “The Fundamental Principle of Biblical Hermeneutics” are good examples of how we should approach the judging of crime with regard to civil disobedience. These examples of how we should judge people are not given to us as a method of judging scripture.
    ANYTHING written in The Word of God is truth, even if it is only stated just one time, and it may be taught as truth. When something is stated more than one time in scripture, it is simply being emphasized.
    The word of God will not be judged by the testimony of two, or three, or even a thousand witnesses. One truth will always stand up against a million falsehoods.
    Hey there Axiom222,

Welcome to our forum!

I have used your question to start a new thread in the Hermeneutics and Theology section since that seems to be a more appropriate place. I will answer you there. The thread is called About The Fundamental Principle of Biblical Hermeneutics as shown in Bible Wheel......

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Food for thought...

Well, good video...fun to watch. It assumes a lot, without assuming anything. As a Christian, my thinking has to follow why God created man. In Genesis God tells man to cultivate the earth, and subdue it. We were created to care for the earth…for God. The rest of the universe? It would seem the whole universe is all for his pleasure. Perhaps we will expand out to other worlds, and cultivate, and care for them also.
    The video also talks about the dangers of planet earth, and there are many. If this is a young earth, less than 6,000 years old, man was here with the dinosaur’s…that would be bad. Plus earth quakes, volcanoes, bugs that could kill you, and bad weather. Not a good place to put two naked people. How about this…maybe we did not come from here? Maybe the Garden was on a different planet?
    NASA says Mars has a big swipe mark, and that it was hit by another planet. That would destroy its magnetic field, which NASA says Mars used to have, and with out that shield, its surface would have blown away. Have you ever wondered why we call earth, “Wilderness Earth?” Just thinking out loud.
    John 6:44 "No man can come to me unless the father, who sent me, draws him, and I will resurrect him in the last day."

Thread Information