Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Physical properties of the Rainbow

I'm wondering about the physical characteristics and causes of the properties of the rainbow. Has anyone here a good study or scientific research about the rainbow including why it curves upward and so forth. Is the curvature due to the suns curvature or the earths?.... or both.... or neither???

Does the ends of the rainbow actually come down at a specific location and at a given time...or do the 'ends' relative to the angle and location from where they are viewed??

Can a rainbow be seen from above when it's appearing or is it only seen by those who see the light passing through rain to make the prism effect.
    1Thess 4:8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    If you are oppressed and enslaved by religious law, you may have a tendency to oppress, enslave and attempt to lord over others who are free.

Quote Originally Posted by EndtimesDeut32/70AD View Post
    I'm wondering about the physical characteristics and causes of the properties of the rainbow. Has anyone here a good study or scientific research about the rainbow including why it curves upward and so forth. Is the curvature due to the suns curvature or the earths?.... or both.... or neither???

Does the ends of the rainbow actually come down at a specific location and at a given time...or do the 'ends' relative to the angle and location from where they are viewed??

Can a rainbow be seen from above when it's appearing or is it only seen by those who see the light passing through rain to make the prism effect.
    Rainbows are caused by light being refracted through raindrops. It is a double refraction, so the source of light my be behind you.
    Name:  u14l4b1.gif
Views: 366
Size:  2.7 KB

Name:  u14l4b3.gif
Views: 365
Size:  6.2 KB

These images are from this article that explains the physics.

Rainbows are full circles. The bottoms just happen to be cut off by the earth. You see more of the circle if you get higher from the surface of the earth. You can form completely circular rainbows with a hose, like in this pic:

Name:  01.jpg
Size:  98.6 KB

These facts, which show that rainbows are a natural phenomenon, present a problem with Genesis which says that God made the rainbow as a sign of his covenant:
    Genesis 9:12 And God said: "This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 "I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 "It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 "and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.
    Obviously, we need to reinterpret the Bible in light of science. Fundamentalists get it backwards and try to interpret science in light of the Bible. That's why they reject evolution and the age of the earth, etc.

Why are you interested in the physics of rainbows?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    These facts, which show that rainbows are a natural phenomenon, present a problem with Genesis which says that God made the rainbow as a sign of his covenant:
    Genesis 9:12 And God said: "This is the sign of the covenant which I make between Me and you, and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: 13 "I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 "It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 "and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.
    Obviously, we need to reinterpret the Bible in light of science. Fundamentalists get it backwards and try to interpret science in light of the Bible. That's why they reject evolution and the age of the earth, etc.

It doesn't represent a problem to me, but rather the opposite. As Peter indicates in 2 Peter 3, the earth was once out of water and 'in water'. The water that it was 'out of' would have referred the liquid state of water [seas and oceans]and the water that it was 'in' would have been the vaporous state of water and thus referred to the vapor canopy. The earth had been watered with dew. Since the time of the fall of the vapor canopy, the earth has been watered with rain. Only the watering of the earth via rain allows the conditions to support the rainbow effect.

I'm contemplating an association between the phraseology of God's "setting HIS bow in the clouds" [pointing upwards] and others who "draw the bow" along with the lores of others such as nimrod and Nero who shot arrows in the air, with Nimrod claiming to have 'killed' god in the action. I'm contemplating this especially in associtation with the idea of Noah being a foretype of Christ and the second person of the trinity who effected a New Heavens/new earth. Noah effected a new physical heaven/earth [and removing the curse upon the earth (Gen 5;29)] Jesus effected a new personal heavens/earth, [ordinances and domian] in contrast with both the mosaic covnt heavens/earth and the original conditional stipulative heavens/earth of the original garden thus removing the curse of the law of sin/death

Thanks.
    Last edited by EndtimesDeut32/70AD; 11-24-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    1Thess 4:8 He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.
    If you are oppressed and enslaved by religious law, you may have a tendency to oppress, enslave and attempt to lord over others who are free.

It doesn't represent a problem to me, but rather the opposite. As Peter indicates in 2 Peter 3, the earth was once out of water and 'in water'. The water that it was 'out of' would have referred the liquid state of water [seas and oceans]and the water that it was 'in' would have been the vaporous state of water and thus referred to the vapor canopy. The earth had been watered with dew. Since the time of the fall of the vapor canopy, the earth has been watered with rain. Only the watering of the earth via rain allows the conditions to support the rainbow effect.

I'm contemplating an association between the phraseology of God's "setting HIS bow in the clouds" [pointing upwards] and others who "draw the bow" along with the lores of others such as nimrod and Nero who shot arrows in the air, with Nimrod claiming to have 'killed' god in the action. I'm contemplating this especially in associtation with the idea of Noah being a foretype of Christ and the second person of the trinity who effected a New Heavens/new earth. Noah effected a new physical heaven/earth [and removing the curse upon the earth (Gen 5;29)] Jesus effected a new personal heavens/earth, [ordinances and domian] in contrast with both the mosaic covnt heavens/earth and the original conditional stipulative heavens/earth of the original garden thus removing the curse of the law of sin/death

Thanks.
    Your interpretation presents a number of challenges to me.

1) It appears you are assuming the truth of a global flood. That directly contradicts all scientific evidence. There was no global extinction in the last 10,000 years or so. There was no genetic bottleneck. It is impossible to imagine that all organism traveled to the Middle East, got on the ark, and then traveled back to their natural habitats in the Arctic, Antarctic, Australia, etc. Is this what you really believe?

2) There is no evidence for any "water canopy." This is just a speculation invented to try fit the Bible story, and it directly contradicts the rest of the Bible. If there were a water canopy that blocked out the sun so there could be no rainbows, then they couldn't see the stars or the moon. The physics of hydrodynamics makes it impossible for a wet planet not to have rain. Indeed, large buildings with solid roofs have their own internal weather, such as the Nasa's Vehicle Assembly Building which is described on the wiki as follows: "The interior volume of the building is so vast that it has its own weather, including "rain clouds form[ing] below the ceiling on very humid days", which the moisture reduction systems are designed to minimize."

3) The idea that "Noah effected a new physical heaven/earth" makes no sense. It seems like you are holding to the "covenant creationism" when you speak of the "mosaic covnt heavens/earth" but why then do you speak of the literal physical heaven and earth being affected by Noah's flood? And how were the "heavens" affected by the flood anyway? Your interpretation strikes me as inconsistent. Have I missed something?

4) Do you have a source for your assertion that "Nimrod claiming to have 'killed' god in the action"?
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Thumbs up

1) It appears you are assuming the truth of a global flood. That directly contradicts all scientific evidence. There was no global extinction in the last 10,000 years or so. There was no genetic bottleneck. It is impossible to imagine that all organism traveled to the Middle East, got on the ark, and then traveled back to their natural habitats in the Arctic, Antarctic, Australia, etc. Is this what you really believe?

2) There is no evidence for any "water canopy." This is just a speculation invented to try fit the Bible story, and it directly contradicts the rest of the Bible. If there were a water canopy that blocked out the sun so there could be no rainbows, then they couldn't see the stars or the moon. The physics of hydrodynamics makes it impossible for a wet planet not to have rain. Indeed, large buildings with solid roofs have their own internal weather, such as the Nasa's Vehicle Assembly Building which is described on the wiki as follows: "The interior volume of the building is so vast that it has its own weather, including "rain clouds form[ing] below the ceiling on very humid days", which the moisture reduction systems are designed to minimize."

3) The idea that "Noah effected a new physical heaven/earth" makes no sense. It seems like you are holding to the "covenant creationism" when you speak of the "mosaic covnt heavens/earth" but why then do you speak of the literal physical heaven and earth being affected by Noah's flood? And how were the "heavens" affected by the flood anyway? Your interpretation strikes me as inconsistent. Have I missed something?

4) Do you have a source for your assertion that "Nimrod claiming to have 'killed' god in the action"?
    1)
    That directly contradicts all scientific evidence.
    I disagee that it contradicts ALL scientific evidence. Truly scientific evaluation must include literary accounts, eyewitness sightings of the Ark recorded in history as well as being open to the supra-natural. It is also must be open to consider that the continent may have been as a super-continent at one time and then divided in the days of Peleg as noted in the Gen account.

2) What evidence of a fallen water canopy would you want to see? It's fallen, it's not there!! There is evidence of caverns and water caves to support the waters of the deep being released. How do YOU account for animals without decay [or with very little] frozen almost instantly with green semi-tropical vegitation in their mouths and stomachs? Also, the dinosaurs would have take Huge amounts of vegitation. What about the evidence of petrified wood, even in underground mines? What about places were sedementary layers of 'rock' [supposedly deposited over 'billions' of years for each layer] are twisted in a "z" shape without breakage of the layers.?

3)Deut 5:29 indicates that the earth was changed to relieve mankind from the curse of the land. In Ez 36:35, after the removal/change of the mosaic covenant 'heavens and earth' the area which was desolate [spiritually desolate can be part of the intention also] is said to become like the Garden of Eden. When the 'heavens and earth' are spoken of in Matt 5,24 and 2 peter 3, it is referring to the mosaic covenant ordinances and domain that then still were. They too were swept away 'like a flood' as predicted in Dan 9 and Is 59.

4) can be researched.
    Last edited by EndtimesDeut32/70AD; 11-27-2012 at 05:33 PM.

R

The middle color seems to be green.

See: The green grass

Coinciding the middle letter of "yom hashishi"

The rainbow shooting arrows that hit the target (= don't miss)

The rainbow in fact is the sign of favor, "chen", that Noach found.

The giving of the sign taking place on the 365th day after the beginning of the flood, i.e. the ideal Yom Kippur (= twelve moon-months + ten days)

Genesis 8:20-21,
    And Noach built an altar to the Lord, and he took of all the clean animals and of all the clean fowl and brought up burnt offerings on the altar. And the Lord smelled the pleasant aroma, and the Lord said to Himself, "I will no longer curse the ground because of man, for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth, and I will no longer smite all living things as I have done.

The ground was cursed because of Adam's sin,
    Genesis 3:17,
    And to man He said, "Because you listened to your wife, and you ate from the tree from which I commanded you saying, 'You shall not eat of it,' cursed be the ground for your sake; with toil shall you eat of it all the days of your life.

cf. Genesis 5:28,
    And he named him Noach, saying, "This one will give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands from the ground, which the Lord has cursed."

So in fact the rainbow expresses the same as the number of 153 large fish.

The earth that was cursed because of Adam's sin did bring forth "ets oseh pri" (tree making fruit) instead of "ets pri oseh pri" (fruit tree making fruit), and next it is written "vayar elohim ki-tov" (And God saw that it was good). This word "tov" being the 153rd word from the beginning. (Genesis 1:11-12)

So I bet God did see the rainbow! (even before the sun was created )

Genesis 8:16,
    And the rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will see it, to remember the everlasting covenant between God and between every living creature among all flesh, which is on the earth."
    Last edited by sylvius; 11-28-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM

1) I disagee that it contradicts ALL scientific evidence. Truly scientific evaluation must include literary accounts, eyewitness sightings of the Ark recorded in history as well as being open to the supra-natural. It is also must be open to consider that the continent may have been as a super-continent at one time and then divided in the days of Peleg as noted in the Gen account.
    When I said it contradicts "ALL scientific evidence" I was referring to ideas like the following:
    • A global flood. This is contradicted by the annual ice cores which show no interruption in the last 100,000 years.
    • A global extinction of all terrestrial life. There is no evidence for this, and much against it.
    • A water canopy - there is no evidence for this. It was invented merely in an attempt to explain some Bible verses.
    • etc.

Your assertion that there have been "eyewitness sightings of the Ark" is just that - an assertion. It proves nothing and I can't think of any reason it should be given any credence at all. Remember Ron Wyatt? Here are a few of the items from Biblical history he claimed to have seen with his own eyes:
    • Noah's Ark (the Durupınar site, located 18.25 miles south of Mount Ararat)[2]
    • Anchor stones (or drogue stones) used by Noah on the Ark[3]
    • The post-flood house, grave markers and tombs of Noah and his wife[4]
    • The location of Sodom and Gomorrah and the other Cities of the Plain: Zoar, Zeboim and Admah[5]
    • Sulfur/brimstone balls from the ashen remains of Sodom and Gomorrah.[6]
    • The Tower of Babel site (in southern Turkey)[7]
    • How the Egyptians may have built the pyramids.[8]
    • The site of the Israelites' crossing of the Red Sea (located in the Gulf of Aqaba)[9]
    • Chariot wheels and other relics of the army of Pharaoh at the bottom of the Red Sea
    • The site of the biblical Mt. Sinai (in Saudi Arabia at Jabal al Lawz)[10]
    • A chamber at the end of a maze of tunnels under Jerusalem containing artifacts from Solomon's Temple[11]
    • The site of the Crucifixion of Jesus
    • Christ’s blood, dripped onto the Mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant beneath the Crucifixion site.
    • Burial pots off the coast of Ashkelon[12]

I can't think of any "eyewitnesses" with less credibility than those who have claimed to have seen the Ark of Noah. Here's what the wiki says about him:
    Ronald Eldon Wyatt (1933 – August 4, 1999) was an adventurer and former nurse anesthetist noted for advocating the Durupınar site as the site of Noah's Ark, among other Bible-related pseudoarchaeology. His claims were dismissed by scientists, historians, biblical scholars, and even by leaders in his own Seventh-day Adventist Church, but his work continued to have a following among some fundamentalists and evangelical Christians.
    The fact that he had, and still has, a following shows how religious folk are not particularly adept at critical reasoning.

As for the possibility of "supra-natural" events - I have no problem with that idea in principle. That's not the reason for my rejection of Noah's flood. It simply seems more reasonable to doubt the event than to believe it happened in a way that left no trace.

I have the same problem with the idea that the continents were divided in the "days of Peleg." That contradicts all earth science, plate tectonics, etc. For example, we have fossils that show the continents were close together millions of years ago, not a few thousand years ago.

2) What evidence of a fallen water canopy would you want to see? It's fallen, it's not there!! There is evidence of caverns and water caves to support the waters of the deep being released. How do YOU account for animals without decay [or with very little] frozen almost instantly with green semi-tropical vegitation in their mouths and stomachs? Also, the dinosaurs would have take Huge amounts of vegitation. What about the evidence of petrified wood, even in underground mines? What about places were sedementary layers of 'rock' [supposedly deposited over 'billions' of years for each layer] are twisted in a "z" shape without breakage of the layers.?
    In science, we often infer things that "were there" that now "are not there." We infer them from EVIDENCE. It is the EVIDENCE that implies they were there. What evidence implies a water canopy? None that I know of. Occam's Razor is a very important principle of science. It would be folly to simply invent a new thing to explain every problematic passage of the Bible.

I don't understand why you assert that there is "evidence of caverns and water caves to support the waters of the deep being released." Everyone knows that there are "fountains" of water all over the earth. I have not challenged that point. I don't see how they would support the story of the flood.

I have never studied the animals that were "quickly frozen." If you would supply a link to the evidence that you find compelling I will review it.

What does the fact that "dinosaurs would have take Huge amounts of vegetation" prove? What does petrified wood prove? What do the z shaped layers prove? It would help if you formulated an argument.

3)Deut 5:29 indicates that the earth was changed to relieve mankind from the curse of the land. In Ez 36:35, after the removal/change of the mosaic covenant 'heavens and earth' the area which was desolate [spiritually desolate can be part of the intention also] is said to become like the Garden of Eden. When the 'heavens and earth' are spoken of in Matt 5,24 and 2 peter 3, it is referring to the mosaic covenant ordinances and domain that then still were. They too were swept away 'like a flood' as predicted in Dan 9 and Is 59.
    I don't understand how Deut 5:29 shows that "the earth was changed."

Deuteronomy 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

4) can be researched.
    But why should we believe any mythology about Nimrod? He's barely mentioned in the Bible. And people have been known to be rather "creative" when inventing mythology around biblical characters.

Check out my blog site

Rainbows are caused by light being refracted through raindrops. It is a double refraction, so the source of light my be behind you.
    Name:  u14l4b1.gif
Size:  2.7 KB

Name:  u14l4b3.gif
Views: 365
Size:  6.2 KB

So the light being refracted must be the light of the first day, in Jewish tradition known as "or haganuz", the hidden light,. because God did immediately hide it so that evildoers could not make use of it.

Which is also the light that God saw to be good. "vayar elohim et-haor ki-tov" (Genesis 1:4), the first time "tov" is mentioned (33rd word from the beginning)

The clue of it must be that evildoers can't see that God saw it to be good that the earth did bring forth "ets oseh pri" instead of "ets pri oseh pri".

Mystery of evil!

Without evil life would be boring, colorless.

Genesis 9:13,
    אֶת-קַשְׁתִּי נָתַתִּי בֶּעָנָן "et-hakashti natati b'anan" , "My bow I have given in the cloud"

cf. Daniel 7:13,
    וַאֲרוּ עִם-עֲנָנֵי שְׁמַיָּא, כְּבַר אֱנָשׁ אָתֵה הֲוָא, "vaaru im-ananei shemayah k'var enosh ateih havah", "there came with the clouds of heaven one like unto a son of man"

cf. Mark 14:62,
    ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς εἶπεν, Ἐγώ εἰμι, καὶ ὄψεσθε τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπου ἐκ δεξιῶν καθήμενον τῆς δυνάμεως καὶ ἐρχόμενον μετὰ τῶν νεφελῶν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ
    Last edited by sylvius; 11-29-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Revelation 6:2,

καὶ εἶδον, καὶ ἰδοὺ ἵππος λευκός, καὶ ὁ καθήμενος ἐπ' αὐτὸν ἔχων τόξον, καὶ ἐδόθη αὐτῷ στέφανος, καὶ ἐξῆλθεν νικῶν καὶ ἵνα νικήσῃ.

And I saw and see a white horse, and the one sitting on him held the rainbow, and him was given a crown and he went out gaining victory and to gain victory

What's'that strange kind of a horse ain't he?

The horse of the chess-play can jump over the edge, i.e. make a corner, which might have to do with the "rosh pinnah" = head of the corner, i.e. the stone rejected by the (square-minded) builders

There is mentioning of four horses, white, fiery red, black and pale green.

But the white horse returns in Revelation 19:11-13,

Καὶ εἶδον τὸν οὐρανὸν ἠνεῳγμένον, καὶ ἰδοὺ ἵππος λευκός, καὶ ὁ καθήμενος ἐπ' αὐτὸν [καλούμενος] πιστὸς καὶ ἀληθινός, καὶ ἐν δικαιοσύνῃ κρίνει καὶ πολεμεῖ.
    οἱ δὲ ὀφθαλμοὶ αὐτοῦ [ὡς] φλὸξ πυρός, καὶ ἐπὶ τὴν κεφαλὴν αὐτοῦ διαδήματα πολλά, ἔχων ὄνομα γεγραμμένον ὃ οὐδεὶς οἶδεν εἰ μὴ αὐτός,
    καὶ περιβεβλημένος ἱμάτιον βεβαμμένον αἵματι, καὶ κέκληται τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ ὁ λόγος τοῦ θεοῦ.

And I saw the heaven open, and see a white horse, and the one sitting on him [called] trustworthy and true, and he judges and wages war in uprightness .
    His eyes bing like a flame of fire, and on his head many crowns, having a name written on it that no one knows except for he himself.
    And he is clothed in a mantle dipped in blood, and his name is called the word of God.

Which makes think of the 1-4 principle of creation:
    "Four forces from one"
    http://www.inner.org/string/string.htm
    The ratio 1:4 ("one to four" or "one becoming four") is one of the pillars of creation as revealed in the beginning of the Torah. We will here observe four phenomena from Genesis based upon the ratio 1:4.

The two letters alef (= 1) and dalet (= 4) form together the word for "vapor." In the beginning of creation, the "vapor" rose from the earth to moisten the earth for the sake of the creation of man.

One river flows from Eden to the garden, which thereafter, leaving the garden, divides into the four great rivers of the earth.

"The Tree of Life" (etz ha'chaim) = 233. "The Tree of Knowledge of good and evil" (etz hada'at tov v'rah) = 932. 932 = 4 times 233. Thus the ratio of the two trees is "one to four" (the "one" being the Tree of Life and the resulting "four" being the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil).

The word "good" (tov, the positive force of the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil) = 17. The word "life" (chaim, of the Tree of Life) = 68. 17:68 = 1:4. The word for "life" possesses four letters. The average value of each of its letters is "good." Thus we see that the fundamental force of "life" (of the Tree of Life) is in fact the positive force of "good" (inherent in the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil). The two trees thus create an infinite cycle of Divine energy.

To conclude, the most obvious phenomenon in the Torah related to the four forces of nature deriving from one, is that God's essential Name Havayah is composed of four letters. "God is One." In the future it will become revealed that "God is One and His Name is One." "His Name" refers to the four letters of Havayah. This is the ultimate revelation of the Divine "unified field theory."
    note:
    φλὸξ πυρός = flame of fire,
    also in LXX Exodus 3:2,

ὤφθη δὲ αὐτῷ ἄγγελος κυρίου ἐν φλογὶ πυρὸς ἐκ τοῦ βάτου καὶ ὁρᾷ ὅτι ὁ βάτος καίεται πυρί ὁ δὲ βάτος οὐ κατεκαίετο

And the angel of the Lord appeared to hiim in a flame of fire from out of the bush and he saw that the bush burned and the bush was not consumed

Flame of fire, Hebrew "labbat esh", with the famous gematria of 733(= (7 x73) + (6 x37), wich structures the snowflake:

Last edited by sylvius; 11-29-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Thread Information