Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

A Common Confession of Faith for Christians and Muslims

Christians have spent endless hours writing massive volumes in their attempt to "harmonize" the problems and apparent contradictions within the Bible. Many of the accepted "explanations" require a tremendous amount of highly questionable "hermeneutical gymnastics." It occurred to me that if Christians and Muslims got together and put the same effort into "harmonizing" the apparent contradictions between the Bible and the Quran, they might might be able come to the same level of agreement as between say the Protestants and the Catholics. I think there is a real possibility here when we consider the amount of things that Christians and Muslims hold in common. Last year I began to write a "common confession of faith for Muslims and Christians" that contained nothing but verses from the Bible and the Quran that said the same thing. I never finished it, but I got enough done to make the point clear. Here is a sample of what I wrote:

======= A Common Confession of Faith for Christians and Muslims =======

The following Confession of Faith is based upon nothing but the explicit statements found in both the Qur'an and the Bible. I have quoted verses from three primary translations of the Qur'an (Yusuf Ali, Pickthall, Shakir) which can be viewed in parallel here. Likewise, I have quoted from various translations of the Bible (KJV, NKJV, NAS, NIV) that can be compared here.

By no means is this confession meant to dismiss the differences between Christians and Muslims, but those differences are not nearly as great as most Christians and Muslims have been led to believe.

1) I BELIEVE GOD is One - there is no other:
    • Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: (Deuteronomy 6:4)
    • Allah! There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-Subsisting, Eternal. (Quran 3:3)
    • See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: (Deuteronomy 32:39)
    • And He is Allah: There is no god but He. To Him be praise, at the first and at the last: (Quran 28:70)

2) I BELIEVE GOD is Unique - there is none like Him:
    • there is nothing whatever like unto Him, and He is the One that hears and sees (all things) (Quran 42:11)
    • And he said, LORD God of Israel, there is no God like thee, in heaven above, or on earth beneath, (1 Kings 8:23)

3) I BELIEVE GOD is Creator of Heaven and Earth:
    • In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)
    • Say: O Allah! Creator of the heavens and the earth! Knower of the Invisible and the Visible! (Quran 39:46)

4) I BELIEVE GOD is Eternal and Immortal:
    • Allah! There is no god but He, the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. (Quran 2:255)
    • Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen. (1 Timothy 1:17)

5) I BELIEVE GOD is First and Last:
    • I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. (Isaiah 44:6)
    • He is the First and the Last, and the Outward and the Inward; and He is Knower of all things. (Quran 57:3)

6) I BELIEVE GOD is Sovereign, Holy, and Exalted far above all things:
    • Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace (and Perfection), the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Safety, the Exalted in Might, the Irresistible, the Supreme: (Quran 57:23)
    • He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords; 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen. (1 Timothy 6:15-16)

7) I BELIEVE GOD is most Gracious, Most Merciful, and Very Forgiving:
    • In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful (Quran 1:1)
    • O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. (Psalm 136:1)
    • If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (Quran 3:31)
    • If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
    • And as to those who do evil deeds, then repent after that and believe, your Lord after that is most surely Forgiving, Merciful. (Quran 7:153)
    • Nor do I absolve my own self (of blame): the (human) soul is certainly prone to evil, unless my Lord do bestow His Mercy: but surely my Lord is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. (Quran 12:53)
    • And seek forgiveness of Allah. Lo! Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful. (Quran 4:106)

8 ) I BELIEVE GOD sees all. Nothing is hidden from Him:
    • He is Allah besides Whom there is no god; the Knower of the unseen and the seen; He is the Beneficent, the Merciful (Quran 59:22)
    • Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. (Hebrews 4:13)
    • Lo! nothing in the earth or in the heavens is hidden from Allah. (Quran 3:5)

9) I BELIEVE GOD gave revelation to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, and Jesus:
    • Say: We believe in Allah and that which is revealed unto us and that which was revealed unto Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and that which was vouchsafed unto Moses and Jesus and the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and unto Him we have surrendered. (Quran 3:84)
    • But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets. (Acts 24:14)

10) I BELIEVE GOD revealed the Torah and the Gospel:
    • We gave unto Moses the Scripture, and We appointed it a guidance for the children of Israel, saying: Choose no guardian beside Me. (Quran 17:2)
    • All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: (2 Timothy 3:16)
    • He hath revealed unto thee (Muhammad) the Scripture with truth, confirming that which was (revealed) before it, even as He revealed the Torah and the Gospel. (Quran 3:3)

11) I BELIEVE GOD sent Jesus to be Messiah, and that he was born of the virgin Mary:
    • And the angel answered and said to her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. (Luke 1:35)
    • Behold! the angels said: "O Mary! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a Word from Him: his name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah;
    • And We verily sent Noah and Abraham and placed the prophethood and the scripture among their seed ... Then We caused Our messengers to follow in their footsteps; and We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow, and gave him the Gospel, and placed compassion and mercy in the hearts of those who followed him. (Quran 57:26-27)

12) I BELIEVE GOD gave Jesus power to heal the blind and the lepers and to raise the dead:
    • Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached. (Luke 7:22)
    • And Allah will teach him [Jesus] the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel, [and he shall say] I heal the blind, and the lepers and I raise the dead by God's leave. (Quran, 3:48-49)

13) I BELIEVE GOD strengthened Jesus with the Holy Spirit:
    • Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, (Luke 4:1)
    • We gave Jesus, son of Mary, clear proofs (of Allah's Sovereignty) and We supported him with the holy Spirit. (Quran 2:253)

14) I BELIEVE GOD promises Eternal Life to believers and they will shine with light forever:
    • And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. (Daniel 12:2-3)
    • On the day when thou wilt see the believers, men and women, their light shining forth before them and on their right hands, (and wilt hear it said unto them): Glad news for you this day: Gardens underneath which rivers flow, wherein ye are immortal. That is the supreme triumph. (Quran 57:12)

15) I BELIEVE GOD will guide me into the light and forgive my sins if I repent:
    • O ye who believe! Be mindful of your duty to Allah and put faith in His messenger. He will give you twofold of His mercy and will appoint for you a light wherein ye shall walk, and will forgive you. Allah is Forgiving, Merciful; 29 That the People of the Scripture may know that they control naught of the bounty of Allah, but that the bounty is in Allah's hand to give to whom He will. And Allah is of Infinite Bounty. (Quran 57:28-29)
    • This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. (1 John 1:5-7)
    • He it is Who sendeth down clear revelations unto His slave, that He may bring you forth from darkness unto light; and lo! for you, Allah is Full of Pity, Merciful. (Quran 57:9)
    • Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. (Acts 26:17-18)

16) I BELIEVE GOD hates adultery:
    • And come not near unto adultery. Lo! it is an abomination and an evil way. (Quran 17:32)
    • Thou shalt not commit adultery. (Exodus 20:14)

17) I BELIEVE GOD commands a right balance:
    • Fill the measure when ye measure, and weigh with a right balance; that is meet, and better in the end. (Quran 17:35)
    • A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight. (Proverbs 11:1)

18) I BELIEVE GOD veils the eyes of those whom He chooses:
    • And We place upon their hearts veils lest they should understand it, and in their ears a deafness; and when thou makest mention of thy Lord alone in the Qur'an, they turn their backs in aversion. (Quran 17:46)
    • But their minds were blinded. For until this day the same veil remains unlifted in the reading of the Old Testament, because the veil is taken away in Christ. 15 But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. (2 Corinthians 3:14-16)

19) I BELIEVE GOD will raise the dead before the final day of judgment and He will reward them according to their works:
    • Lo! Those who believe, and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabians - whoever believeth in Allah and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.
    • And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books. The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works. (Revelation 20:12-13)
    • And whoso desireth the Hereafter and striveth for it with the effort necessary, being a believer; for such, their effort findeth favour (with their Lord). (Quran 17:19)
    • But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism. (Romans 2:5-11)

Well, that's enough to show that Christians and Muslims have a LOT in common. Indeed, I think the beliefs they share outweigh the beliefs that divide them.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

So what do folks think about this?
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Amiel McGough View Post
    So what do folks think about this?
    Thank you Richard for this work. It makes a big difference to appreciating another's religion by having a comparison like this. This is why I have no complaint against Mulsims who practice their religion peacefully and practice the truth of their religion. I know Muslims do not condone the practices of radical Muslims and so there are divisions amongst Muslims the same as their are divisions amongst Christians. Divisions come from different interpretations and of their respective books. Unity is only best, when there is unity of the truth, which is what we have to determine.

The main division that divides me from Islam is the position given to Jesus. The Muslims agree that Jesus was a man, but do not regard Jesus as the Son of God, who has now been given the divine nature (an incorruptible body). Muslims hold "Muhammad (pbuh)" more highly than Jesus. It is like the Catholic church venerating Mary in a way that holds Mary in higher esteem than Jesus.

If Muslims acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God and in higher esteem than "Muhammad (pbuh)", then there is definitely little to quarrel about with Muslims. If that was the case, we should find no disagreement between the Bible and the Quran, if they are both the insprired word of God/Allah. There ought to be as much unity in the Quran as there is in the Bible, for the two books to be in unity.

Because Christians cannot agree the fundamental doctrines of the Bible, does not disprove the validity of the Bible. It is a hard enough task to get others to see the consistent and coherent message throughout the Bible and that paradoxes and errors can be explained. There can only be one true interpretation of the Bible as God intends His word to be understood and if the Quran is from the same source, it too can only have one true interpretation and must be complimentary with the Bible.

There is so much to learn about human nature as is shown in the history of Israel as recorded in the OT. It is a full-time study to come to know all that the Bible contains. The essential information necessary for salvation is important to understand. If it can be shown that the Quran has the same essential information leading to salvation, then perhaps a Quran scholar can present that information, the same as you have shown a lot of similarity of statements in the two books.

There is nothing to fear from studying both books if they both lead to salvation. Unless there is opposing doctrine concerning salvation, then it is our own decision to choose which is correct.

Thanks once again for your time and effort in compiling these similarites between the two religions.

All the best,

David

I have total respect for Muslims. I have visited Muslim countries like Brunei and Malaysia and I found the people fine. Also we have big communities of Muslims in Australia due to immigration.

On a stop-over in Brunei last year on the way to Hong Kong I really appreciated how nice the Muslim people were and they seemed to really lead a God centered life. Muslims are quite loving and peaceful people.

My only issue is they do not believe Jesus was God in the flesh. I believe there is only one God and so do Muslim's so we have common ground. Some Christians get upset and think Muslims are believing in the wrong God. I disagree as it is still "God" if we take away any human names we give him,her,it,the source or the all that is.

I once mocked Allah to myself(Only time I have ever did that) and that night I dreamt(and it felt real) I was wrestling with a dark figure in my room and I cried out to Jesus in fear and quickly woke up. A couple nights later and this has never happened to my wife either she felt a dark prescence in the room and woke up in fear!

So I never mock any other religons and I have taken that as a warning. I didn't convert to becoming a muslim after that experience but it made me know God "must" want me to respect anybody who has different beliefs etc.

It was quite a real experience and I wondered for a while if I had sinned against the holy spirit. The bible does say sins against the father can be forgiven and that is probably what it was.

If I'm praying to God and a Muslim is praying to God I believe it is the same being that hears the prayer even if we believe we are praying to different God's.

I still think Jews and Muslims hopefully will accept that Jesus was God incarnate. That may be the long term plan.

Edit - I should add we are all sons, daughters, children of God. If a Muslim recognises this then they can see how God can have a Son. You can actually become a Son.

Once you come to know yourselves, you will become known.(Gospel of Thomas)

Edit 2 - When flying Royal Brunei I even said the muslim prayer on takeoff as it is was on the screens. I had some christians sitting next to me wondering how God can shorten the journey which is part of the prayer. Christian's(And I am one) can be very judgemental which goes against what we are taught. Even an atheist is my brother or sister. That's the way I see things anyway.
    Last edited by luke1978; 07-06-2012 at 05:24 AM.

You are wrong. Allah is Lucifer. Mohammed was a demented pedophile false prophet. Allah was simply Mohammed's projection of his own depravity onto his dopey misconceptions and perversions of Deity. He took the true Living God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and turned Him into a warped version of evil to serve his own sinister purposes.

See the site prophetofdoom.org. the 900 page book exposing Islam and Mohammed is online, and even has a audio version of it that is hilarious. Mohammed was rather stupid, as the author proves, but ruthless, clever and cruel when it came to warfare.

God and the Devil have nothing in common, hence Jehovah and Allah have nothing in common. Islam is the most dangerous false religion we have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispensational Truth View Post
    You are wrong. Allah is Lucifer. Mohammed was a demented pedophile false prophet. Allah was simply Mohammed's projection of his own depravity onto his dopey misconceptions and perversions of Deity. He took the true Living God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and turned Him into a warped version of evil to serve his own sinister purposes.

See the site prophetofdoom.org. the 900 page book exposing Islam and Mohammed is online, and even has a audio version of it that is hilarious. Mohammed was rather stupid, as the author proves, but ruthless, clever and cruel when it came to warfare.

God and the Devil have nothing in common, hence Jehovah and Allah have nothing in common. Islam is the most dangerous false religion we have ever seen.
    I'm glad you jumped in on this thread.

You began your comments with a double error. First, there is no fallen angel called "Lucifer" in the Bible. That's an erroneous translation that was copied from the Latin Vulgate into the KJV:
    Isaiah 14:12 quomodo cecidisti de caelo lucifer qui mane oriebaris corruisti in terram qui vulnerabas gentes
    The word "lucifer" is not the name of a fallen angel. It is the Latin name of the planet Venus, aka the "morning star" known in Greek either as phosphoros (bringer of the light) or eosophorus (bringer of the dawn) which is how the underlying Hebrew was translated in the Septuagint. We find the word lucifer again as a title of Christ in the Latin Vulgate:
    VUL 2 Peter 1:19 et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem cui bene facitis adtendentes quasi lucernae lucenti in caliginoso loco donec dies inlucescat et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestris
    Or in English:
    2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star [lucifer] arise in your hearts:
    This verse tells us to wait until LUCIFER rises in our hearts! Remember, these are the words of the Latin Vulgate, which was the primary Bible used though out Western Christendom for over a thousand years. These are the words everyone would have read in the Holy Bible, telling us hope that "lucifer" would arise in our hearts. Now I know this is shocking, but it shows how false superstitions have utterly corrupted the Christian mind and teachings. Think of all the things you have heard and believed over the years concerning "Lucifier." THEY ARE ALL FALSE! There is no fallen angel named "Lucifer" mentioned in the real Bible.

Second, your assertion that Allah is the Devil contradicts your assertion that he was "simply Mohammed's projection of his own depravity." Which is it?

Your religious prejudice seems quite extreme. It is interesting that Muslims reject Christianity as idolatry with the same vehemence and conviction.

I know that there are a lot of problems with Islam, especially the fundamentalist version. But there are Muslims who claim to love God with the same sincerity as any Christian I have ever seen. This would not be possible if Islam were the "Devil's religion."

Now did you really read my post? I ask because you only said I am "wrong" but then did not address anything I actually wrote. If you want to say that I am wrong, you need to quote the exact words I actually wrote and show why they are wrong.

Check out my blog site

Thread Information