I tried to use the MySQL ODBC 3.51 Connector. It failed with the message "Connection Failed: [HY000] [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Access denied for user ..." I did all the usual debugging, such as checking connection settings to no avail. Then after about an hour searching the internet, I found the answer here:

You might have an error message like this: "Connection Failed: [HY000] [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Access denied for user ‘newaccount’@’192.168.11.1′ (using password: YES)“. The root causes of this error message are: you type wrong password, OR the password is too complex.

MySQL ODBC 3.51 No-Complex Password

Warning – You might have a serious headache with MySQL ODBC 3.51 if the password in your GRANT command contains special characters, such as ! @ # $ % ^ ?. MySQL ODBC 3.51 ODBC Driver does not support these special characters in the password box. The only error message you would receive is “Access denied” (using password: YES)
I had a caret ^ in my password. An hour for a caret? Welcome to the wonderful world of software engineering.