Google Ads

Poll: Greatest Physicist

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Greatest Physicist

Which in your opinion who is the greatest physicist? If you will vote and give a short reply for the reason(s) you chose.
    Beck

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Which in your opinion who is the greatest physicist? If you will vote and give a short reply for the reason(s) you chose.
    Very interesting poll!

It was a tough call, but I voted for Einstein because he made many independent contributions of great significance. He was instrumental in the foundation of Quantum Mechanics (photo-electric effect) and discovered both the theories of Special and General Relativity.Those are the two breakthroughs that overthrew Classical Mechanics that Newton helped found.

I don't know what Newton could have accomplished if he lived at the turn of the 20th century, but I get a feeling he would not have been an Einstein. It's impossible to know, of course. But history does show that Einstein's theories overthrew those of Newton - so he wins.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

It is a difficult call to make between Einstein and Newton. Newton did so much more besides fundamental physicis. Considering Newton lived before Einstein, one can speculate whose work in Physics was the biggest step forward at the time. If one summed up all the work of these men, Newton might possibly win.

One thing Newton said was; "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

Einstein coming after Newton was able to stand on his shoulders.

David

Not from this world...from the other side
    Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    It is a difficult call to make between Einstein and Newton. Newton did so much more besides fundamental physicis. Considering Newton lived before Einstein, one can speculate whose work in Physics was the biggest step forward at the time. If one summed up all the work of these men, Newton might possibly win.

One thing Newton said was; "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants"

David
    God is the Greatest Physicist. If He did not have a perfect grasp for physics and all sciences, how can he create the earth, sun, moons, stars and planets and all that are in them?

Isaiah 40: Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
    Has it not been told you from the beginning?
    Have you not understood since the earth was founded?
    22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
    and its people are like grasshoppers.
    He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
    and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
    23 He brings princes to naught
    and reduces the rulers of this world to nothing.
    24 No sooner are they planted,
    no sooner are they sown,
    no sooner do they take root in the ground,
    than he blows on them and they wither,
    and a whirlwind sweeps them away like chaff.
    25 'To whom will you compare me?
    Or who is my equal?' says the Holy One.
    26 Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens:
    Who created all these?
    He who brings out the starry host one by one
    and calls forth each of them by name.
    Because of his great power and mighty strength,
    not one of them is missing.

Job 28: Where then does wisdom come from?
    Where does understanding dwell?
    21 It is hidden from the eyes of every living thing,
    concealed even from the birds in the sky.
    22 Destruction[b] and Death say,
    'Only a rumor of it has reached our ears.'
    23 God understands the way to it
    and he alone knows where it dwells,
    24 for he views the ends of the earth
    and sees everything under the heavens.
    25 When he established the force of the wind
    and measured out the waters,
    26 when he made a decree for the rain
    and a path for the thunderstorm,
    27 then he looked at wisdom and appraised it;
    he confirmed it and tested it.
    28 And he said to the human race,
    'The fear of the Lord—that is wisdom,
    and to shun evil is understanding.'

May God Blessed us with His Wisdom and Understanding.
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

David
    Good points David. That's why I said it was a pretty tough call. Indeed, it is probably impossible to come to any firm conclusion.

Newton invented Calculus and developed the classical theory of gravity. Those are two of the most significant advancements of physics. It is interesting that he and Einstein share the developed theories of gravity.

But on the other hand, the classical theory of gravity is child's play compared to General Relativity. It may be that Newton stands out because he happened to live when the time was ripe for his discoveries. There is a controversy about whether Newton or Leibniz invented Calculus - they both developed it at nearly the same time independently. Things like this have happened a lot in the history of science. It is the thesis of a book I recently read Where Do Good Ideas Come From?. His idea was that as knowledge grows it makes new things possible, and so multiple people will independently discover those possibilities at the same time.

Richard
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    God is the Greatest Physicist. If He did not have a perfect grasp for physics and all sciences, how can he create the earth, sun, moons, stars and planets and all that are in them?
    Really now. Please name one scientific theory like Electromagnetism or General Relativity that "God" has given us.

I get the impression that words don't mean much to you.

Check out my blog site

David
    Hi David,

Yeah I agree it's a hard call. I guess I'm leaning more toward Einstein. I would say that Newton wrote more about Biblical hermeneutics and occult studies than on science. Athough Newton's development of Calculus and classical theory of gravity was at it's base. Which give Einstein and others a base to continue studies on making even greater developments and discoveries. I believe it was said of Einstein that he had a picture of Newton on his study wall.

We know Newton for what he brings to science, but if he had made it known about his vision on scripture we might would see him different. After his death it became known that he viewed the trinity much different that the chruch. He being smart enough to be quiet about his views which more likely could have cost him excommuication or even death.
    Beck

Thread Information