Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Genesis 36 - meaning of names of Esau, Seir and others

Here are the meanings of the names of Genesis 36.
    I haven't concluded anything yet but whoever has any insight can write it down.
    Here are some tips though.
    I use the http://www.blueletterbible.org which has a strong's concordance and underneath it has the number of occurences of the names or the root words of the names found in the bible.

There is a possibility that the names have something to do with the context such as the birth of people in a situation.

The second possibility is how God uses the name. Such as Levi was named after a wish Leah had that she will be joined to her husband but then God took the tribe of Levi to join Israel to himself.

SO man has power over the situation he goes through and names the child after that or if he gets a divine revelation such as Enoch namimg Methuselah or Joseph naming Jesus. But then God takes the name and uses him for his purpose.

The name might have something to do in it's numerical positioning such as Kolhozeh found in Nehemiah which means all-seeing and found in the 16th book which corelates to the 16th letter Ayin which means and symbolizes the eye.

One thing that got my attention in this chapter Genesis 36 along with Ezekiel 23: Aholibamah, Aholah, Aholibah. This has to do with God's tent or tabernacle Aleph words and might be a spoke 1 theme.

I repeat the meaning of the names so that it would be easy to find patterns.

Genesis 36 Meanings
    1 Now these [are] the generations of Esau, who [is] Edom. Esau = "hairy"
    Edom = "red"
    2 Esau took his wives of the daughters of Canaan; Adah the daughter of Elon the Hittite, and Aholibamah the daughter of Anah the daughter of Zibeon the Hivite; Esau = "hairy"
    Canaan = "lowland"
    Adah = "ornament"
    Elon = "terebinth, mighty"
    Hittite = "descendant of Heth"
    Aholibamah = "tent of the high place"
    Anah = "answer"
    Zibeon = "coloured"
    Hivite = "villagers"
    3 And Bashemath Ishmael's daughter, sister of Nebajoth. Bashemath or Basmath = "spice"
    Ishmael = "God will hear"
    Nebaioth or Nebajoth = "heights"
    4 And Adah bare to Esau Eliphaz; and Bashemath bare Reuel; Adah = "ornament"
    Esau = "hairy"
    Eliphaz = "my God is (fine) gold"
    Bashemath or Basmath = "spice"
    Reuel or Raguel = "friend of God"
    5 And Aholibamah bare Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah: these [are] the sons of Esau, which were born unto him in the land of Canaan. Aholibamah = "tent of the high place"
    Jeush = "assembler"
    Esau = "hairy"
    Jaalam = "concealed"
    Korah = "bald"
    6 And Esau took his wives, and his sons, and his daughters, and all the persons of his house, and his cattle, and all his beasts, and all his substance, which he had got in the land of Canaan; and went into the country from the face of his brother Jacob. Esau = "hairy"
    Jacob = "heel holder" or "supplanter"
    7 For their riches were more than that they might dwell together; and the land wherein they were strangers could not bear them because of their cattle.
    8 Thus dwelt Esau in mount Seir: Esau [is] Edom. Esau = "hairy"
    Edom = "red"
    Seir = "hairy" or "shaggy"
    9 And these [are] the generations of Esau the father of the Edomites in mount Seir: Esau = "hairy"
    Edom = "red"
    10 These [are] the names of Esau's sons; Eliphaz the son of Adah the wife of Esau, Reuel the son of Bashemath the wife of Esau. Esau = "hairy"
    Adah = "ornament"
    11 And the sons of Eliphaz were Teman, Omar, Zepho, and Gatam, and Kenaz. Eliphaz = "my God is (fine) gold"
    Teman = "south"
    Omar = "speaker" or "eloquent"
    Zepho or Zephi = "watch-tower"
    Gatam = "a burnt valley"
    Kenaz = "hunter"
    12 And Timna was concubine to Eliphaz Esau's son; and she bare to Eliphaz Amalek: these [were] the sons of Adah Esau's wife. Timna or Timnah = "restrained"
    Amalek = "dweller in a valley"
    Esau = "hairy"
    Adah = "ornament"
    13 And these [are] the sons of Reuel; Nahath, and Zerah, Shammah, and Mizzah: these were the sons of Bashemath Esau's wife. Esau = "hairy"
    Nahath = "rest"
    Zerah or Zarah = "rising"
    14 And these were the sons of Aholibamah, the daughter of Anah the daughter of Zibeon, Esau's wife: and she bare to Esau Jeush, and Jaalam, and Korah. Aholibamah = "tent of the high place"
    Esau = "hairy"
    Jeush = "assembler"
    Jaalam = "concealed"
    Zibeon = "coloured"
    Korah = "bald"
    15 These [were] dukes of the sons of Esau: the sons of Eliphaz the firstborn [son] of Esau; duke Teman, duke Omar, duke Zepho, duke Kenaz, Esau = "hairy"
    Teman = "south"
    Omar = "speaker" or "eloquent"
    Zepho or Zephi = "watch-tower"
    Kenaz = "hunter"
    16 Duke Korah, duke Gatam, [and] duke Amalek: these [are] the dukes [that came] of Eliphaz in the land of Edom; these [were] the sons of Adah. Adah = "ornament"
    Edom = "red"
    Korah = "bald"
    Gatam = "a burnt valley"
    Amalek = "dweller in a valley"
    17 And these [are] the sons of Reuel Esau's son; duke Nahath, duke Zerah, duke Shammah, duke Mizzah: these [are] the dukes [that came] of Reuel in the land of Edom; these [are] the sons of Bashemath Esau's wife. Esau = "hairy"
    Edom = "red"
    Zerah or Zarah = "rising"
    Nahath = "rest"
    18 And these [are] the sons of Aholibamah Esau's wife; duke Jeush, duke Jaalam, duke Korah: these [were] the dukes [that came] of Aholibamah the daughter of Anah, Esau's wife. Aholibamah = "tent of the high place"
    Esau = "hairy"
    Jeush = "assembler"
    Jaalam = "concealed"
    Korah = "bald"
    19 These [are] the sons of Esau, who [is] Edom, and these [are] their dukes. Esau = "hairy"
    Edom = "red"
    20 These [are] the sons of Seir the Horite, who inhabited the land; Lotan, and Shobal, and Zibeon, and Anah, Seir = "hairy" or "shaggy"
    Horite = "cave dweller"
    Lotan = "covering"
    Shobal = "flowing"
    Zibeon = "coloured"
    21 And Dishon, and Ezer, and Dishan: these [are] the dukes of the Horites, the children of Seir in the land of Edom. Dishon = "thresher"
    Horite = "cave dweller"
    Ezer = "treasure"
    Edom = "red"
    22 And the children of Lotan were Hori and Hemam; and Lotan's sister [was] Timna. Timna or Timnah = "restrained"
    Lotan = "covering"
    23 And the children of Shobal [were] these; Alvan, and Manahath, and Ebal, Shepho, and Onam. Shobal = "flowing"
    24 And these [are] the children of Zibeon; both Ajah, and Anah: this [was that] Anah that found the mules in the wilderness, as he fed the asses of Zibeon his father. Zibeon = "coloured"
    Anah = "answer"
    25 And the children of Anah [were] these; Dishon, and Aholibamah the daughter of Anah. Dishon = "thresher"
    Aholibamah = "tent of the high
    Anah = "answer"place"
    26 And these [are] the children of Dishon; Hemdan, and Eshban, and Ithran, and Cheran. Dishon = "thresher"
    27 The children of Ezer [are] these; Bilhan, and Zaavan, and Akan. Ezer = "treasure"
    28 The children of Dishan [are] these; Uz, and Aran.
    29 These [are] the dukes [that came] of the Horites; duke Lotan, duke Shobal, duke Zibeon, duke Anah, Horite = "cave dweller"
    Lotan = "covering"
    Shobal = "flowing"
    Zibeon = "coloured"
    Anah = "answer"
    30 Duke Dishon, duke Ezer, duke Dishan: these [are] the dukes [that came] of Hori, among their dukes in the land of Seir. Dishon = "thresher"
    Ezer = "treasure"
    31 And these [are] the kings that reigned in the land of Edom, before there reigned any king over the children of Israel. Edom = "red"
    32 And Bela the son of Beor reigned in Edom: and the name of his city [was] Dinhabah. Edom = "red"
    33 And Bela died, and Jobab the son of Zerah of Bozrah reigned in his stead. Zerah or Zarah = "rising"
    34 And Jobab died, and Husham of the land of Temani reigned in his stead. Teman = "south"
    35 And Husham died, and Hadad the son of Bedad, who smote Midian in the field of Moab, reigned in his stead: and the name of his city [was] Avith.
    36 And Hadad died, and Samlah of Masrekah reigned in his stead.
    37 And Samlah died, and Saul of Rehoboth [by] the river reigned in his stead.
    38 And Saul died, and Baalhanan the son of Achbor reigned in his stead.
    39 And Baalhanan the son of Achbor died, and Hadar reigned in his stead: and the name of his city [was] Pau; and his wife's name [was] Mehetabel, the daughter of Matred, the daughter of Mezahab.
    40 And these [are] the names of the dukes [that came] of Esau, according to their families, after their places, by their names; duke Timnah, duke Alvah, duke Jetheth, Esau = "hairy"
    Timna or Timnah = "restrained"
    41 Duke Aholibamah, duke Elah, duke Pinon, Aholibamah = "tent of the high place"
    42 Duke Kenaz, duke Teman, duke Mibzar, Teman = "south"
    Kenaz = "hunter"
    43 Duke Magdiel, duke Iram: these [be] the dukes of Edom, according to their habitations in the land of their possession: he [is] Esau the father of the Edomites. Edom = "red"
    Esau = "hairy"

Hi Gilgal, Now that you have the definitions, you can apply them to them stories concerning these names. At my old churh we used to study the OT this way.( The Metaphysical Dictiopnary by Charles Filmore is a good place to start.) I would not trust his conclusions, though. We went thrugh the entire book of Leviticus this way. Bob
    Harry Potter,.. "Is this all happening in my head, or is it real?"
    Professor Dumbledor,.. "Of course it's all happening in your head. What makes you think that means it isn't real?"

The sons of Eliphaz were Teman...
    Job's friend was Eliphaz the Temanite. Maybe this is the same Eliphaz. Maybe he built a city in the name of his son, but I speculate.

I know that this kind of study is inconclusive. But it may lead to something.

I didn't finish all the names yet.

There are a few names however that get my attention:
    Aholibamah; Lotan: the meaning is covering , the same as Lot; Eliphaz and Teman; Kenaz reminds me of Ashkenaz.

The name Hittite got my attention that they are the descendants of Heth which originally came from Anatolia today known to be in Turkey.

Both Esau and Seir seem to have the same meaning.

Ashkenaz = "a man as sprinkled: fire as scattered"
    I recommend Gesenius' Lexicon for this name. The Cimmerians are also known as Gomer in the bible the father of Ashkenaz and thought to be originated in Bithynia Northern Turkey today. The Jews of Germany and Europe call themselves or are called Ashkenazi Jews whereas Jews living in Arabic lands call themselves Sephardic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gilgal; 02-01-2012 at 10:18 PM.

When you look at a name in the concordance, look for the root word if there is any and scroll down such as what I'm looking on Gomer:
    http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/...gs=H1584&t=KJV

The root word of Gomer are found in 5 places in Psalms.

Hi Gilgal,
    Your list of names and their meanings reminded me of a word study I did while reading Genesis 23 one time. The account of Sarah's death and Abraham buying the field and cave is full of symbolic meaning. Sarah is the only woman in the bible to have her lifespan documented, 127 years. She died in Kirjath Arba while her husband Abraham was in Beersheba. If you follow the prophetic type that begins with Abraham being told to offer his "one of a kind" Son as a burnt offering (typifying Jesus being offered up at the same place centuries later), then Sarah seems to be a type of unbelieving Israel. According to the text, Sarah may not have known that a ram got offered up instead of Isaac, because after Abraham and Isaac come down from the mount, Genesis 22:19 says that Abraham came back down from the mountain (the text has no mention of Isaac coming down with him) and he and his servants went to Beersheba. Where did Isaac go, and did Abraham's servants even know that Isaac had been spared? The next time we hear anything about Isaac's whereabouts is when Abraham dies and afterward Isaac is in Beer-lahairoi (for all we know from the text, maybe Sarah didn't even know where Abraham and Isaac had gone when they left for the land of Moriah. The text doesn't say Abraham told her anything). The Hittites were sons of "Heth" which means "terror, dread". So Sarah, possibly ignorant of her son's, and maybe her husband's, whereabouts and fate, is dwelling in the land of "heth" or terror, which is prophetic of where the Jews were when they didn't recognize their Messiah and lost their temple, nation and land.

Abraham and Sarah were in Beersheba when the Lord told Abraham to go offer Isaac as a burnt offering. So sometime between when they left to do that and when Sarah dies, she moves to Kirjatharba, which means "city of four". The root word for 'kirjath' is kir-yah which denotes a "city or town" and in turn comes from kaw-raw, meaning "to meet" (usually by happenstance, and often with something happening as a result of the encounter). It also means "to join" mainly as in joining planks together for flooring (hence the idea of a "city" with permanent housing, as opposed to a nomad's tent with a dirt floor). Arba means "four", and comes from the root word raw-ba, which means to "lie down stretched out" either in sleep or for copulation, to "sprawl on all fours", and is used in the bible only in relation to people mating with animals or to animals mating with each other. I'm not saying that, as a type, this is prophetic of what Sarah (God's unbelieving people) was doing in Kirjatharba. It is a "type". The bible is full of references to unbelieving people of the nations acting like brute beasts, and Israel is often rebuked for "meeting or joining" with these strangers and commiting adultery with them.

I am running out of time and so will have to cut down on the verbiage. Ephron comes from af-awr which means "fawn-like" or "calf" (from their typical 'dusty' coloring), and traces back to words meaning "dust" and "to pulverize to dust".

Machpelah comes from kaf-el-ah which means to "double over". (if the Hebrew letter 'fey' had a nikkud it would be pronounced kap-el-ah, similar to the idea of our english word 'couple'?)

Hebron means "association", comes from haw-var - "to unite with", or "to tie magic charms".

Mamre means "strength or fatness" and comes from the root maw-raw meaning "to beat the air, spur on by whipping" and "to be contumacious or rebellious".

With all of the negative meanings in many of the root words in this passage, it is no wonder the idea of "pulverizing to dust" (Ephron) and "terror and dread" (Heth) are present. So what does Abraham do? He gets right in the middle of it and redeems a place for his dead loved one by buying the whole field with the cave in it for 400 shekels of silver, which is the currency of redemption. I have heard that 400 shekels was an outrageous sum for this transaction, but that didn't stop Abraham. He knows that he and Sarah will not be the cave forever and a "double portion" is waiting for them.

Gilgal,
    I was reading some sites with information on the possible locations of the tomb where Jesus was laid in relation to where He was crucified and also in relation to the temple, when I came across this article that delineates a distinction in the usage of the term "Hittite(s)" in our English bibles. I thought I would bring it up in case it may have anything to do with your study of Genesis 36.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Gilgal,
    I was reading some sites with information on the possible locations of the tomb where Jesus was laid in relation to where He was crucified and also in relation to the temple, when I came across this article that delineates a distinction in the usage of the term "Hittite(s)" in our English bibles. I thought I would bring it up in case it may have anything to do with your study of Genesis 36.
    There was Uriah the Hittite in Jerusalem at the time of David. But are they from Ham: Canaan or Japheth?

Hi Gilgal,
    I'm sorry. I forgot to paste the link to the article I was talking about. Here it is - http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post...m.aspx#Article

In the article it says that most of the "Hittites" in the bible are descended from Heth, the son of Canaan and have Semitic names. The other "Hittites" are considered Indo-European and apparently no one has figured out exactly where they came from. Since both groups figure into biblical history, the author of the articlee proposes that in future editions of the bible, one group can be referred to as "Hittites" and the other can be called "Hethites" (some of the older translations use the term "Hethites" for both groups instead of "Hittites")

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Hi Gilgal,
    I'm sorry. I forgot to paste the link to the article I was talking about. Here it is - http://www.biblearchaeology.org/post...m.aspx#Article

In the article it says that most of the "Hittites" in the bible are descended from Heth, the son of Canaan and have Semitic names. The other "Hittites" are considered Indo-European and apparently no one has figured out exactly where they came from. Since both groups figure into biblical history, the author of the articlee proposes that in future editions of the bible, one group can be referred to as "Hittites" and the other can be called "Hethites" (some of the older translations use the term "Hethites" for both groups instead of "Hittites")
    Ok so Heth was a Canaanite:
    Genesis 10:15 KJV - And Canaan begat Sidon his firstborn, and Heth,

Thread Information