Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happiness

Soul/Light within etc.

Richard do you believe we have a soul/spirit?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
    Richard do you believe we have a soul/spirit?
    Hey there Skeptical,

Welcome to our forum!

I am skeptical about a "soul" that exists independently of the body. It seems most likely that we are our bodies. Though I don't think the Bible gives any legitimate insight on this question, it is interesting that it actually coheres with the Biblical description which says that the "soul" is the union of the "breath of life" and the body made of "dust" (matter). In the Bible, both animals and humans are called "living souls" (nefesh chayah). It also is interesting that there are "Christian physicalists" who believe that humans are entirely physical (no separate soul).

There also is confusion about "soul" vs. "spirit." On the one hand, I am inclined towards the idea that Mind is the "ground of being" while on the other hand it seems materialism explains everything. One solution is a Monism that sees the "mattter/mind" duality as just two aspects of a single underlying unity.

But all such speculations are just that - mere speculations. There is no reason to worry about it. The effect will be the same. If we are just bodies and death means we simply cease to exist, we won't be there to care about it so it won't matter. If, on the other hand, we die and find that we continue to exist, then great! There's nothing to worry about either. All the worry about a "judgment" after death where you would be threatened with eternal suffering was created by RELIGIONS that were designed to CONTROL YOUR MIND and steal your money and make you into a slave. No rational person could believe that any God could be so irrational and cruel as to create a hell to cause eternal suffering.

Richard
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Happiness is something everyone wants to have. You may be successful and have a lot of money, but without happiness it will be meaningless.

Thread Information