Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

The Power of Coincidence

A very interesting interview with Deepak Chopra.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Deepak

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    A very interesting interview with Deepak Chopra.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9
    Part 10
    Part 11

==============================================
    EDITED BY MODERATOR:
    Please don't include many videos in quotes since
    that makes the pages load slowly, and they don't need to be repeated
    anyway. You can either delete them or not quote them in the first place.
    ==============================================
    Thanks for posting this Rose...I use to have all of his books, DVDs, CDs, etc...and then "religion" struck! Time to start re-collecting them.
    Facing the East,
    Frater Rosae Crucis

"It is only by the exercise of Reason, that man can discover God."
    ~ Thomas Paine

Hi Rose and RC,

Nice collection of videos by Deepak Choprah,
    I haven't had a chance to watch them but I will.
    He uses Carlos Castaneda and his teacher don Juan Matus in his books.
    The first things don Juan taught Carlos was to pay attention to what he called "reaffirmations from the world around us" or simply "the world agreeing wih us." He also taught the importance of "turning off the internal dialog."
    Deepak goes into both of these concepts. That is why I was drawn to his books.

But I wanted to touch on the definition of coincidence. Because popular opinion many times will gradually change the language, the word coincidence has become watered down to mean "accidental."

Here Below) is the definition of coincident in my 1925 edition of the New Amercan Dictionary. If you compare it to modern dictionaries there is an obvious bias toward the idea of "accident" in modern dictionaries and just the opposite in the older definitions.
    Books on engineering and machinist's handbooks also show the exactness and design implied in the word coincident. As in the teeth of two opposing gears being coincident when they mesh etc.

Popular use of this word has robbed us of a tool to truth. Whether you believe in an Incomprehensible, Impartial Conscious Universe (Cosmic Consciousness) or Jesus and a loving Father communicating with us, the idea of "accident" when speaking of coincidence waters down our view of Reality.

Bob
    Harry Potter,.. "Is this all happening in my head, or is it real?"
    Professor Dumbledor,.. "Of course it's all happening in your head. What makes you think that means it isn't real?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob May View Post
    Hi Rose and RC,

The first things don Juan taught Carlos was to pay attention to what he called "reaffirmations from the world around us" or simply "the world agreeing wih us." He also taught the importance of "turning off the internal dialog."

But I wanted to touch on the definition of coincidence. Because popular opinion many times will gradually change the language, the word coincidence has become watered down to mean "accidental."

Here Below) is the definition of coincident in my 1925 edition of the New Amercan Dictionary. If you compare it to modern dictionaries there is an obvious bias toward the idea of "accident" in modern dictionaries and just the opposite in the older definitions.
    Books on engineering and machinist's handbooks also show the exactness and design implied in the word coincident. As in the teeth of two opposing gears being coincident when they mesh etc.

Popular use of this word has robbed us of a tool to truth. Whether you believe in an Incomprehensible, Impartial Conscious Universe (Cosmic Consciousness) or Jesus and a loving Father communicating with us, the idea of "accident" when speaking of coincidence waters down our view of Reality.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. I love etymomology and one of my pet peaves is how people say things without understanding, such as "I could care less" when they really mean "I could not care less."

The meaning of "coincidence" is linked of course to "coincide" which is the definition you underlined. The word itself says nothing of the cause of the coinciding (coincidence) - whether it be by chance, necessity, or design. But the truth has not really been lost even if most folks think "coincidence" means "mere coincidence" since Jung and Pauli gave us "synchronicity" which is an every better word in my estimation.

Also, the fact that folks need to say "mere coincidence" to distinguish it from a "meaningful coincidence" seems to showt that the word sitll caries some of the overtones of "synchronicity."

Have a happy turkey day!
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Chopra

Quote Originally Posted by Bob May View Post
    Hi Rose and RC,

Bob
    Hi Bob,

I like the concept that Chopra teaches on being in "the flow" of life when we are seeing multiple synchronicities occurring, one after the other. Richard and I had an hour or so of those the other night...awesome stuff! I'm not sure if it's the universe agreeing with us, or us allowing our left hemisphere to quite down, long enough and listen, and allow our right hemisphere to talk to us for awhile, and see all of the symbolic pointers and archetypes that are actually present all the time...we're, unfortunately, just not 'aware' of them.
    Facing the East,
    Frater Rosae Crucis

"It is only by the exercise of Reason, that man can discover God."
    ~ Thomas Paine

Thread Information