Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Analogies between the Living and the Written Word

I have long recognized a very strong correspondence between the way the Bible talks about the Word of God as something written or spoken, and the Word of God as the Second Person of the Trinity.

It was during the time I was writing the Bible Wheel book, as I was intensely submerged in Scripture all day every day for about two years, that I came to realize that the entire Bible is a Type of Jesus Christ, and He is the fulfillment of it all, its true Antitype.

This thread is intended to explore this idea.

For example:

The Tabernacle in the wilderness had the Word of God housed in the Holy of holies.

Jesus Christ is the Word made flesh who tabernacled amongst us.

That is a Type/Antitype relationship.

Got another?

Stumbling Stone

Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone [Jesus Christ] and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Rom 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone [Jesus Christ] and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed
    That's a great one - the parallel is explicit.

The stone makes me think of the temptation of Christ:

Matthew 4:3-4 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. 4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Jesus was quoting Deuteronomy 8:3 3 "And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

And we have the same association in Amos 8:11 "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:"

Thus, the Bible likens the written Word of God to bread.

And so it is, we have another perfect parallel with the Living Word of God, Jesus Christ, as it is written:

John 6:49-51 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

RAM

The Morning Star

Great one! The Word is powerful!

Here is another analogy:

2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Great one! The Word is powerful!

Here is another analogy:

2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
    Wow! That is a beautiful one. And its new to me, I've never thought of it before.

It makes me think of LIGHT, and so here is a huge multifaceted parallelism between the Written and the Living Word:

Psalm 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

And the what is the form of the Lamp that God Himself designed and revealed to Moses on the Mountain? It is the Menorah:

And who do we see "standing amongst the seven lampstands?

Revelation 1:12-16 12 ¶ And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; 13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; 15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

Now we have multiple overlaps. The twoedged sword is the Word of God:

Hebrews 4:12 12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

And the sun is the natural light of the world, while Jesus is the true light of the World:

John 8:12 12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Note also the parallelism with the light guiding the path, as it is written:

Psalm 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

It loops back. Everything connects!

Well, that's enough for the moment, sparks are starting to fly from the keyboard.

A visual analogy

Here is an interesting one. Check it out:

(Christ Pantocrator, Trinity Episcopal Cathedral, Portland)

The image pictures the Lord holding the Book of Books in His Hands. It is written Alpha Omega in its pages, integrating with the Bible Wheel. Now come the analogies:

The Bible in the icon:
    I) is the Word of God.
    II) is marked with the Alpha Omega.
    II) possesses bilateral symmetry (defined by the pages where the Alpha Omega is placed).
    IV) has the Cross as its main theme.

The Lord:
    I) is the Word of God.
    II) is known as the Alpha Omega.
    III) possesses bilateral symmetry (it is a physical attribute of living organisms).
    IV) has the Cross as the main event in his earthly life.

The artist couldn't imagine that a third element in his work would provide independent proof of all these facts.

The Halo
    I) is a representation of the Word of God (the Bible Wheel)
    II) is marked with the Aleph Tav (in the Wheel)
    III) possesses bilateral symmetry (defined by the Aleph Tav axis)
    IV) is marked with the Cross in its structure (defined by the canonical divisions of the Bible Wheel)

Last edited by Victor; 06-11-2007 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Proofreading

Andrew Juke on the Incarnate and the Written Word

I am reading Andrew Juke's brilliant book The Restitution of All things, and found to my surprise and delight, that he begins Chapter 1 with an exposition on the profound analogy between the Incarnate and the Written Word of God:

But before I come to the testimony of Scripture, let me clear my way by a few words as to its nature and inspiration. The mystery of the Incarnate Word, I am assured, is the key, and the only sufficient one, to the mystery of the Written Word; the letter, that is the outward and human form, of which answers to the flesh of Christ, and is but a part of the mystery of the Incarnation of the Eternal Word. The Incarnation, instead of being, as some have said, different in principle to the other revelations of Himself which God has given us, is exactly in accordance with, and indeed the key to, all of them, in one and all the unseen and invisible God being manifested in or through His creatures, or in some creature-form; and this because thus only could God be revealed to creatures like us. Whether in Nature, or Scripture, or Christ’s flesh, the law is one. The divine is revealed under a veil, and that veil a creature-form.

(1). Let me express what I can on this subject, though in these days what I have to say may lie open to the charge of mysticism. The blessed fact, which we confess as Christians, is that the Word of God has been made flesh,--has come forth in human form from human nature. Jesus of Nazareth is Son of God; not partly man and partly God, but true man born of a woman, yet with all the fullness of the God-head bodily.

So exactly is Holy Scripture the Word of God; not half human and half divine, but thoroughly human, yet no less thoroughly divine, with all treasures of wisdom and knowledge revealed yet hidden in it. And just as He, the Incarnate Word, was born of a woman, out of the order of nature, without the operation of man, by the power of God’s Spirit; so exactly as the Written Word come out of the human heart, not by the operation of the human understanding, that is the man in us, but by the power of the Spirit of God directly acting upon the heart, that is, the feminine part of our present fallen and divided human nature. It is of course easy to say this is mere mysticism. God manifest in the flesh is a great mystery. And the manifestation of God’s truth out of man’s heart in human form is of course the same, and no less a mystery. And those who do not see how our nature like our race is both male and female, may here find some difficulty. But the fact remains the same, that our nature is double, male and female, head and heart, intellect and affection. And it is out of the latter of these, that is the heart, that the letter of Scripture has been brought forth, the human form of the Divine Word, exactly as Christ was conceived and born of the Virgin Mary, by the power of the Holy Ghost, without an earthly father. In no other way could God’s Word come in human form. In no other way could it come out of human nature. But it has humbled itself so to come for us, out of the heart of prophets and apostles; in its human form, like Christ’s flesh, subject to all those infirmities and limitations which Christ’s flesh was subject to—thoroughly human as He was; yet in spirit, like Him, thoroughly divine, and full of the unfathomed depths of God’s almighty love and wisdom.
    Richard
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Torah revelation

A Jewish friend of mine said that all of God's revelation was Torah.

So in Genesis God speaks (word), He makes (works) , and things spring forth (live)

In Exodus
    At the Mount God spoke and expected them to have ears to hear,
    He wrote (worked) and expected them to have eyes to see,
    He then lived among them in a pillar of fire and smoke

In Romans 1
    God makes manifest to all (speaks)
    All creation (works) testify
    ... and Christ lived among us.

In us
    He spoke through prophets
    Worked on the cross
    Lives in us

In the world
    We are now his word (you are my witnesses)
    And do the works created for us from the foundation of the world
    And we live in the world (not of it)

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

I call the three-fold revelation of God, Torah.

Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    A Jewish friend of mine said that all of God's revelation was Torah.

So in Genesis God speaks (word), He makes (works) , and things spring forth (live)

In Exodus
    At the Mount God spoke and expected them to have ears to hear,
    He wrote (worked) and expected them to have eyes to see,
    He then lived among them in a pillar of fire and smoke

In Romans 1
    God makes manifest to all (speaks)
    All creation (works) testify
    ... and Christ lived among us.

In us
    He spoke through prophets
    Worked on the cross
    Lives in us

In the world
    We are now his word (you are my witnesses)
    And do the works created for us from the foundation of the world
    And we live in the world (not of it)

1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

I call the three-fold revelation of God, Torah.
    Hi BJones,

Welcome to our forum!

You made some very good points. I truly believe the whole Bible is a unified revelation of God - it is His Word.

But I would not use the word "Torah" for the entire Word of God because that could cause some confusion. The Bible itself refers to the first five books as the "Torah of Moses" and the whole Jewish Old Testament is called Tanakh meaning Torah (Law), Nevaiim (Prophets) and Kethuvim (Writings). This then is reflected by Christ in the New Testament when He said "These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses (Torah), and in the prophets (Nevaiim), and in the psalms (Kethuvim), concerning me." (Luke 24:44).

So my point is that the though Torah is a very important part of God's Word, it is not His whole Word. And indeed, it is contrasted strongly with the Gospel of the New Testament. So it really seems like it would be a mistake to call all of God's Word "Torah."

I have even heard some Messianic Jews say that "Jesus is the Torah" because He is the Word of God. But that is clearly incorrect because the Law causes us to die because of our sin, but Christ is the Word of Life. The Law is like a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ. It is not itself Christ. We are free from the curse of Torah through faith in Christ.

Thanks for the very stimulating post. It made me think about a lot of things.

And again, welcome to our forum!

Richard
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

We have a rule

We have a rule in our house that you can't say no to something unless you have an alternative suggestion.

So do you have a suggested term that would not cause confusion?

Thanks

Thread Information