Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark's Miracles

Mark's Miracles

I read something about the Gospel of Mark today which said 'The nineteen miracles recorded in this short book....'

Isn't Mark on spoke 19 ...has anyone counted the miracles recorded in Mark?I admit I haven't ...yet
    He has told you, O man,what is good;
    And what does the Lord require of you
    But to do justice, to love kindness,
    And to walk humbly with your God

Micah 6:8

19 Miracles in the Gospel of Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    I read something about the Gospel of Mark today which said 'The nineteen miracles recorded in this short book....'

Isn't Mark on spoke 19 ...has anyone counted the miracles recorded in Mark?I admit I haven't ...yet
    Hi Abigail!

You are correct! You are reminding me of the my early days with the Bible Wheel. When I first learned of the Wheel, I had an intuition and this was one of the things that I went to check. I counted exactly 19 miracles!! There is also reference to 'many healings' performed by Christ, but the specific miracle accounts total 19.

Curiously a few days ago I was organizing my stuff and found some old sheets with some of my first notes about the Bible Wheel. And there it was - there was a page with the list of all those miracles. It is right here on my table!

God bless,
    Victor

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post

Ah ... now you are thinking a lot like me! I notice those little "coincidences" too. But when it comes to counting things like how many miracles or healings or parables folks always come up with different numbers because there always seems to be some ambiguities. So I googled "nineteen miracles" and the first link brings up this article about Mark:

http://www.koinonia-fellowship.org/I...on_to_Mark.htm

Here's a quote:

Action-Packed

As mentioned earlier, Mark’s gospel does not emphasize words or long sermons; but rather flows from one action-packed event to another. Unlike the other Gospels, Mark records only four parables and nineteen miracles. Mark changes from one event to another by frequenting the use of the Greek word Euthus. This colorful word, which is used forty-seven times in this Gospel, describes 'directly, at once, soon, as soon as, forthwith, immediately, shortly, straightway' (Strong 33, 1112).
    Of course, I like that quote because the section in the Bible Wheel book concerning Mark is called "The Gospel of Action" and links to the Quph KeyWord "qal" meaning "swift" like a runner. It really is a powerful connection. But the number of miracles? I don't know because I haven't counted them. So always the skeptic, I googled "eighteen miracles" and found other articles about Mark, such as this one:

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txs/mark.htm

Here's a quote:

The Gospel was probably written in Rome for a primarily Gentile audience, to convince them that Jesus of Nazareth, in spite of his sufferings and death, was the Son of God. It has been called a Gospel of action because it records 18 miracles (similar in count to Matthew and Luke) but only 4 parables (Matthew includes 18 parables and Luke 19). Jesus' victory over evil through his deeds and death receives emphasis. Much material in Mark is repeated in Matthew and in Luke, leading most scholars to conclude that Mark was written first and used independently by the other writers.
    I really like this one, because I didn't even have to add the bold to the phrase "Gospel of action" - its in the original article. And that pretty much exemplifies the kinds of links that I put in the Bible Wheel book. They are super obvious and recognized by everyone. Anybody who knows anything about the Bible should imediately recognized the validity of the Bible Wheel .... or so it seems to me. It really is a mystery how its been out there on the internet since 2001 and its still relatively unknown.

So anyway, thanks for the tip! There might be something to it - I'll just have to count the miracles and find out why there is a difference. It certainly is interesting that folks link the high frequency of miracles to the "action" nature of the Gospel. I have a tingle in the back of my head that suggests there is some inherent connection between Quph and Miracles but I can't quite recall what it might be right now.

Richard
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Hi Abigail!

You are correct! You are reminding me of the my early days with the Bible Wheel. When I first learned of the Wheel, I had an intuition and this was one of the things that I went to check. I counted exactly 19 miracles!! There is also reference to 'many healings' performed by Christ, but the specific miracle accounts total 19.
    Hi Victor!

I'm gonna count them, and also see what others have counted so I can get an idea of the validity of the count. Could you post your list?

Also, if you have any idea of the connection between Quph and miracles, please share it.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Curiously a few days ago I was organizing my stuff and found some old sheets with some of my first notes about the Bible Wheel. And there it was - there was a page with the list of all those miracles. It is right here on my table!

God bless,
    Victor
    Ah! The blessed synchronicity of God who "worketh all things after the counsel of His will" (Eph 1:11) - with perfect timing I might add!

Richard
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Also, if you have any idea of the connection between Quph and miracles, please share it.

Richard
    Mark 10:24-27 'And the disciples were amazed at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." And they were even more astonished and said to Him, "Then who can be saved?" Looking upon them Jesus said "With men it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God."'
    He has told you, O man,what is good;
    And what does the Lord require of you
    But to do justice, to love kindness,
    And to walk humbly with your God

Micah 6:8

Quph, the list of miracles in the dynamic Gospel, and the Synoptic Problem

Ah ... now you are thinking a lot like me! I notice those little "coincidences" too.
    Me too. It's good to keep the eye open to them. They sometimes give useful clues.

But when it comes to counting things like how many miracles or healings or parables folks always come up with different numbers because there always seems to be some ambiguities.
    That's a real problem. Sometimes it is not clear how it should be counted. For example, Mark 16:9 says that, after His resurrection, Jesus "appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils." Should this be counted as a miracle? Thus it is important to have some kind of criterion to perform the counting. To me for instance that miracle does not count for the simple fact that it didn't take place as part of the story. It is just a reference to something that happened.

So I googled "nineteen miracles" and the first link brings up this article about Mark:

http://www.koinonia-fellowship.org/I...on_to_Mark.htm

Here's a quote:

Of course, I like that quote because the section in the Bible Wheel book concerning Mark is called "The Gospel of Action" and links to the Quph KeyWord "qal" meaning "swift" like a runner. It really is a powerful connection. But the number of miracles? I don't know because I haven't counted them. So always the skeptic, I googled "eighteen miracles" and found other articles about Mark, such as this one:

http://mb-soft.com/believe/txs/mark.htm

Here's a quote:

I really like this one, because I didn't even have to add the bold to the phrase "Gospel of action" - its in the original article. And that pretty much exemplifies the kinds of links that I put in the Bible Wheel book. They are super obvious and recognized by everyone. Anybody who knows anything about the Bible should imediately recognized the validity of the Bible Wheel .... or so it seems to me. It really is a mystery how its been out there on the internet since 2001 and its still relatively unknown.
    People just don't bother.

So anyway, thanks for the tip! There might be something to it - I'll just have to count the miracles and find out why there is a difference. It certainly is interesting that folks link the high frequency of miracles to the "action" nature of the Gospel. I have a tingle in the back of my head that suggests there is some inherent connection between Quph and Miracles but I can't quite recall what it might be right now.

Richard
    Hi Victor!

I'm gonna count them, and also see what others have counted so I can get an idea of the validity of the count. Could you post your list?

Here's a quick list, following the narrative sequence:

1. Man with an unclean spirit
    2. Peter's mother-in-law
    3. The leper
    4. Man sick with the palsy
    5. Man with withered hand
    6. Calming the tempest
    7. Gadarene man with an unclean spirit
    8. Woman with an issue of blood
    9. Daughter of Jairus
    10. The feeding of the 5,000
    11. Walking on water
    12. Daughter of Canaanite woman
    13. The deaf-mute
    14. The feeding of the 4,000
    15. Blind man in Bethsaida
    16. The transfiguration
    17. Boy with a dumb spirit
    18. The blind Bartimaeus
    19. The withered fig tree

It seems reasonable to me. I could comment a little more on the counting criteria but I'll leave it for another time.

I do see a clear link between Quph and Miracles! It is independent of the number of miracles in Mark, but I think I possibly made the association long ago because of the 19 miracles.

Webster's definition of miracle is:

1. Literally, a wonder or wonderful thing; but appropriately,
    2. In theology, an event or effect contrary to the established constitution and course of things, or a deviation from the known laws of nature; a supernatural event.
    Quph represents physical things and so relates to Nature. (Note Quph = 19 = The Earth). Rabbi Munk gave the traditional Rabbinic interpretation of this letter:

The most obvous manifestation of God's majesty is expressed in nature and its cycles. Therefore the Sages relate the name Quph to haqaph, to go around, and haqaphah, cycle. The cycles of nature - the changing seasons, the monthly renewal of the moon, the twenty-eight year solar cycle - all teach man that there is a pattern and purpose to the Universe.
    This explains the naturalistic zeitgeist of the Nineteenth Century.

The 19th Book, Psalms, has a lot to do with this theme. In various Psalms (e.g, 19, 104) the theme of Nature is brought out. And, unlike most books of the OT, the Psalms constantly repeat the theme of the supernatural, that is, the miracles. Many chapters recall God's great wonders, specially the miracles in Exodus.

Therefore, the theme of the supernatural has much to do with Quph and the Gospel of Mark, which lies on the Spoke of Physical Manifestation. The many miracles performed by Christ are presented in the Gospels as evidence of His supernatural Power. The Greek word Dunamis is often used to describe miracles:

Act 19:11 And God wrought special miracles (dunamis) by the hands of Paul:
    The following is Strong's definition of that word:

Strong's 1411 δύναμις Dunamis
    Force (literally or figuratively); specifically miraculous power (usually by implication a miracle itself): - ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed), (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty
    The only instance in the Gospels where it is translated as "miracle" is in Mark (KJV):

Mar 9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
    Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
    That's a word that characterizes the Gospel of Mark, which has the greatest number of hits and specially the greatest density of both Dunamos and its cognate Dunamai in all four Gospels.

But there's more! The miracles in Mark are mentioned as evidence that it is the Gospel of Action, as in a quote above:

Action-Packed

As mentioned earlier, Mark’s gospel does not emphasize words or long sermons; but rather flows from one action-packed event to another. Unlike the other Gospels, Mark records only four parables and nineteen miracles.
    Powerful miracles as an evidence of action-packed narrative is an impressive fact because the Greek word Dunamos, maximized in Mark, is the very origin of the word dynamic! Mark is the Dynamic Gospel!

Victor
    Last edited by Victor; 10-31-2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Formatting

I forgot to add that Richard wrote a couple of articles on some of the features of the Second Gospel that relate to what is documented above. Here they are:

Mark's Miracles

Hi All,

This seems like an interesting little thread.

In answer to Richard's question about any links between miracles and Qoph, I looked around google for insight into Qoph, and found something about the sun on the horizon, or, 'behind'. Also, earlier in this thread, something about cycles in nature. Obviously, when Jesus performed miracles, He restored broken things both by recreating parts that were missing, and speeding up natural processes immensely - not by breaking any of His 'law'.

Returning to the sun, two verses come to mind which speak of Christ in His strength, and Christ in His ministry.

Psalm 19
    1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
    2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
    3 [There is] no speech nor language, [where] their voice is not heard.
    4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
    {line: or, rule, or, direction}
    5 Which [is] as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, [and] rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
    6 His going forth [is] from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

7 The law of the LORD [is] perfect, converting the soul:
    the testimony of the LORD [is] sure, making wise the simple.
    {law: or, doctrine} {converting: or, restoring}
    8 The statutes of the LORD [are] right, rejoicing the heart:
    the commandment of the LORD [is] pure, enlightening the eyes.
    9 The fear of the LORD [is] clean, enduring for ever:
    the judgments of the LORD [are] true [and] righteous altogether.
    {true: Heb. truth}
    10 More to be desired [are they] than gold, yea, than much fine gold:
    sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
    {the honeycomb: Heb. the dropping of honeycomb}
    11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned:
    [and] in keeping of them [there is] great reward.

12 Who can understand [his] errors? cleanse thou me from secret [faults].

13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous [sins];
    let them not have dominion over me:
    then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
    {the great: or, much}

14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
    {strength: Heb. rock}

Malachi 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

I was wondering if the Hebrew for 'calves', or 'joy', has any connection to Qoph or nineteen?
    16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Ephesians 3

Quote Originally Posted by Charisma View Post
    Hi All,

This seems like an interesting little thread.

In answer to Richard's question about any links between miracles and Qoph, I looked around google for insight into Qoph, and found something about the sun on the horizon, or, 'behind'. Also, earlier in this thread, something about cycles in nature. Obviously, when Jesus performed miracles, He restored broken things both by recreating parts that were missing, and speeding up natural processes immensely - not by breaking any of His 'law'.

Returning to the sun, two verses come to mind which speak of Christ in His strength, and Christ in His ministry.

Psalm 19
    1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
    2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
    3 [There is] no speech nor language, [where] their voice is not heard.
    4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
    {line: or, rule, or, direction}
    5 Which [is] as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, [and] rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
    6 His going forth [is] from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

7 The law of the LORD [is] perfect, converting the soul:
    the testimony of the LORD [is] sure, making wise the simple.
    {law: or, doctrine} {converting: or, restoring}
    8 The statutes of the LORD [are] right, rejoicing the heart:
    the commandment of the LORD [is] pure, enlightening the eyes.
    9 The fear of the LORD [is] clean, enduring for ever:
    the judgments of the LORD [are] true [and] righteous altogether.
    {true: Heb. truth}
    10 More to be desired [are they] than gold, yea, than much fine gold:
    sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
    {the honeycomb: Heb. the dropping of honeycomb}
    11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned:
    [and] in keeping of them [there is] great reward.

12 Who can understand [his] errors? cleanse thou me from secret [faults].

13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous [sins];
    let them not have dominion over me:
    then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
    {the great: or, much}

14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.
    {strength: Heb. rock}

Malachi 4:2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

I was wondering if the Hebrew for 'calves', or 'joy', has any connection to Qoph or nineteen?
    Hey there Charisma,

Thanks for waking up this old thread! I had forgotten about it, and we are currently talking about the meaning of Quph on another thread.

Psalm 19 is is sort of a double emphasis on Quph since it is the 19th chapter of the 19th book. Appropriately, it uses the word taquphah (circuit) which appears to be based on the word "quph" (name of the 19th letter) though scholars are not exactly sure. But when read in Hebrew, the word "quph" is found in the center of taquphah.

And the Psalm does speak about "miracles" and "running" which are two themes prominent in Mark.

I don't see any connections with Quph in the references to calves or joy in Malachi 4:2.

Check out my blog site

Hey Richard and Charisma,

I got a picture of something when I read your two posts. Down here in Texas I see new born calves skipping for joy all the time.

It's quite a sight to see. They are not very coordinated but they seem very happy.

I don't think this adds much to your conversation but just wanted to share my observation of new born calves.

All the best,
    Rick

There is no other book like the Bible in the world where you have to know the Author to understand the book. If Christianity were the religion of the Book then it would be no different than any other religion in the world. But, Christianity is Christ! It is the dynamic, personal Spirit of God functioning in man.

Answering the Skeptics Bible

Thread Information