Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I got me an iMac!

I've never owned a Mac. Always been a PC guy. But then I got interested in developing iPhone apps using Flex Builder on my PC, but soon learned that to write professional apps you need to use Xcode which only runs on Macs. So I kinda dropped the idea for a while but then last weekend a friend asked me to help him develop a custom iPhone app and this was enough to push me over the edge and now I'm a happy owner of an iMac and I'm spending many hours each day learning Cocoa, Xcode, Objective-C.

Any other Mac users out there? Or are you all writing on PCs? I'm pretty happy with it, but it comes with Safari (the Apple browser) and Safari doesn't support the vBulletin WYSIWYG editor that we use to write comments. So I have to use vbCode like [b]Fred[/b] to get Fred.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Not from this world...from the other side
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    I've never owned a Mac. Always been a PC guy. But then I got interested in developing iPhone apps using Flex Builder on my PC, but soon learned that to write professional apps you need to use Xcode which only runs on Macs. So I kinda dropped the idea for a while but then last weekend a friend asked me to help him develop a custom iPhone app and this was enough to push me over the edge and now I'm a happy owner of an iMac and I'm spending many hours each day learning Cocoa, Xcode, Objective-C.

Any other Mac users out there? Or are you all writing on PCs? I'm pretty happy with it, but it comes with Safari (the Apple browser) and Safari doesn't support the vBulletin WYSIWYG editor that we use to write comments. So I have to use vbCode like [b]Fred[/b] to get Fred.
    I am a Mac user for the past 6 years and I love my Mac as i need not worry much about virus. Never have a virus problem so far but I have installed an anti-virus software for Mac, just in case. Never upgrade the antivirus software after that. That's the beauty of using Mac on line; it is so smooth and problem free. I will use Mac if online and I will use PC if for office work. Initially, not quite use to the keys on the Mac but now not much problem. You have made the right choice RAM.

God Blessings to all
    Ask and You shall receive,
    Seek and You shall find,
    Knock and the door will be open unto You.

Quote Originally Posted by CWH View Post
    I am a Mac user for the past 6 years and I love my Mac as i need not worry much about virus. Never have a virus problem so far but I have installed an anti-virus software for Mac, just in case. Never upgrade the antivirus software after that. That's the beauty of using Mac on line; it is so smooth and problem free. I will use Mac if online and I will use PC if for office work. Initially, not quite use to the keys on the Mac but now not much problem. You have made the right choice RAM.

God Blessings to all
    It's nice to know we have something in common!

My only problem is the short-cut keys - I keep hitting control-c to copy and it just inserts the letter "c" because on a Mac you are supposed to hit command-c. Now I have to create a "Mac habit" - it get's a iittle confusing when I switch back and forth with the PC. But I need to keep using the PC because it has lots of programs on it like CorelDraw, Flex Builder (for programming Actionscript and Flash), and Microsoft Office and Bible Works ... that's the problem of have two platforms. The programs you buy only worm on one or the other usually.

I've always heard that the virus problem is because there are so few Macs relative to PCs that the virus writers don't bother writing them for Macs.

Great chatting,

Richard
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

I like yourself Richard, Almost brought a Mac just to play with and learn. But I never did. As I understand it Mac's are built for high end graphic development like that for movie making. But again as a freelance pc tech there's just no work for a tech for Mac not becasue they don't break down, but becasue of parts availabilty. They like the owner to sent it back to the manufactor or at lease one of their part stores for repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I like yourself Richard, Almost brought a Mac just to play with and learn. But I never did. As I understand it Mac's are built for high end graphic development like that for movie making. But again as a freelance pc tech there's just no work for a tech for Mac not becasue they don't break down, but becasue of parts availabilty. They like the owner to sent it back to the manufactor or at lease one of their part stores for repair.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought too. Macs are for artists, movie makers, and musicians. But I'm a freelance software engineer, not a hardware technician, so I'm looking at expanding my skill set to include iPhone and iPad apps which are a major growth area. And I must say that after two days of studying the XCode IDE, I'm pretty stoked.

Check out my blog site

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought too. Macs are for artists, movie makers, and musicians. But I'm a freelance software engineer, not a hardware technician, so I'm looking at expanding my skill set to include iPhone and iPad apps which are a major growth area. And I must say that after two days of studying the XCode IDE, I'm pretty stoked.

I think that area of coding for apps on ipad and iphone is major now and would be good to get into. I tried my luck at coding, but all I really learned was html4. I even played around with Flex Builder...Now I just freelance as a pc tech.
    Last edited by Beck; 08-31-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I think that area of coding for apps on ipad and iphone is major now and would be good to get into. I tried my luck at coding, but all I really learned was html4. I even played around with Flex Builder...Now I just freelance as a pc tech.
    I love Flex Builder. I worked on a big project that was written in pure AS3. I don't like mxml at all - to much noise in all the tags and brackets. I like the clean and lean beauty of the object oriented AS3. Very nice.

So now I'm learning to code COCOA and Objective-C using the Xcode IDE. It's very cool too. I followed a tutorial yesterday and built a simple calculator. But now that I can do that, I feel like I can do anything. The sky's the limit. If you (or anyone reading) has a good idea for an app, send me PM!

Check out my blog site

Accordance Bible Software

Hi Richard,

I just came across this website for Mac Bible Software.

http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Advertisement

Check it out when you get a chance. Pretty cool what it can do (second half of video).

What are some of the Mac Bible tools that you use? I downloaded TheWord for the Mac, but it is not written specifically for the Mac as it uses X11. Still, it's ok.

Olive Tree Bible and Eloquent were not that great, so I am still looking. Olive Tree Bible Reader is what I use on my iPhone, but Accordance seems better.

Would be interested in any Mac Bible tools that anyone knows about and are pleased with.

Have a great day,
    Rick

There is no other book like the Bible in the world where you have to know the Author to understand the book. If Christianity were the religion of the Book then it would be no different than any other religion in the world. But, Christianity is Christ! It is the dynamic, personal Spirit of God functioning in man.

Answering the Skeptics Bible

Quote Originally Posted by heb13-13 View Post
    Hi Richard,

I just came across this website for Mac Bible Software.

http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Advertisement

Check it out when you get a chance. Pretty cool what it can do (second half of video).

What are some of the Mac Bible tools that you use? I downloaded TheWord for the Mac, but it is not written specifically for the Mac as it uses X11. Still, it's ok.

Olive Tree Bible and Eloquent were not that great, so I am still looking. Olive Tree Bible Reader is what I use on my iPhone, but Accordance seems better.

Would be interested in any Mac Bible tools that anyone knows about and are pleased with.

Have a great day,
    Rick
    Hey there Rick,

Thanks for the tip. I've been using BibleWorks and Logos Software for my studies for many years now. Bible Works is best by far for complex searches in the orginal languages. Logos is handy becuase it has a huge library of commentaries. I won't be getting any new Bible software for the iMac since I have everything I need on my PC. I got the iMac so I could develop iPhone apps using XCode. It's a very cool development tool. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting any inspiration for an app. Back in the day when I was a Christian I would have made a Bible database like I have on my website. And a Bible Wheel app would have been really cool. But it's hard to get sufficiently motivated since I'm not a Christian anymore.

Richard

Check out my blog site

Hey there Rick,

Thanks for the tip. I've been using BibleWorks and Logos Software for my studies for many years now. Bible Works is best by far for complex searches in the orginal languages. Logos is handy becuase it has a huge library of commentaries. I won't be getting any new Bible software for the iMac since I have everything I need on my PC. I got the iMac so I could develop iPhone apps using XCode. It's a very cool development tool. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting any inspiration for an app. Back in the day when I was a Christian I would have made a Bible database like I have on my website. And a Bible Wheel app would have been really cool. But it's hard to get sufficiently motivated since I'm not a Christian anymore.

Richard
    Thanks Richard. Did you get a chance to see the second half of the presentation?

There is no other book like the Bible in the world where you have to know the Author to understand the book. If Christianity were the religion of the Book then it would be no different than any other religion in the world. But, Christianity is Christ! It is the dynamic, personal Spirit of God functioning in man.

Answering the Skeptics Bible

Thread Information