Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    15,146

    How did the Pharisees "shut up" the kingdom of heaven?

    Matthew 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

    Luke 11:52 "Woe to you [religious] lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered."

    What did Jesus mean when he spoke of those who were "entering" the kingdom of heaven? What were they actually doing? What did the Pharisees do that hindered them?

    What is the "key of knowledge?"
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Matthew 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

    Luke 11:52 "Woe to you [religious] lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered."

    What did Jesus mean when he spoke of those who were "entering" the kingdom of heaven? What were they actually doing? What did the Pharisees do that hindered them?

    What is the "key of knowledge?"
    To enter into the kingdom of heaven one must be free to seek knowledge, that is what the Pharisees were not allowing. Keeping people locked into religious dogmas shuts down the only connection we have to truth and knowledge lies in our inner selves.

    A good example is of the story of Adam and Eve. They are portrayed as being the original humans untouched by sin, yet Eve had an innate desire for knowledge...where did that come from? Her inner self.

    Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

    To know oneself is to know the universe...


    Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

    Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

    Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    ********************************
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    15,146
    Luke 11:52 "Woe to you [religious] lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered."
    Hummm ... the word "knowledge" in that verse is "gnosis." Jesus says we need the KEY OF GNOSIS to enter the kingdom of heaven.

    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Luke 11:52 "Woe to you [religious] lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered."
    Hummm ... the word "knowledge" in that verse is "gnosis." Jesus says we need the KEY OF GNOSIS to enter the kingdom of heaven.

    :D
    They warned that Jesus casts out devils by Beelzebub...they spread a bad propaganda to the people to keep them away from him.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    981
    Jesus called them hypocrites for they omitted the weighter matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith. These seem to be the keys to the kingdom or throught the knowledge. Theses also can be seen with in the parables given by Jesus of the kingdom of heaven where Jesus aways spoke in parables when the Pharisees was around. Whereby Jesus told Peter the keys of the kingdom was given to him through this knowledge of Jesus being the Son of God the Anointed One.

    So actually they were the ones that should have the knowledge to lead other's into the kingdom, but were blind themselves and as Jesus said they were the blind leader of the blind. Instead of openning this door of knowledge to the kingdom they were actually shutting the door. Jesus said that he was at the door knotting and if any man hear his voice and open the door he would come in and will sup with him.
    Last edited by Beck; 07-19-2011 at 07:36 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Jesus called them hypocrites for they omitted the weighter matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith. These seem to be the keys to the kingdom or throught the knowledge. Theses also can be seen with in the parables given by Jesus of the kingdom of heaven where Jesus aways spoke in parables when the Pharisees was around. Whereby Jesus told Peter the keys of the kingdom was given to him through this knowledge of Jesus being the Son of God the Anointed One.

    So actually they were the ones that should have the knowledge to lead other's into the kingdom, but were blind themselves and as Jesus said they were the blind leader of the blind. Instead of openning this door of knowledge to the kingdom they were actually shutting the door. Jesus said that he was at the door knotting and if any man hear his voice and open the door he would come in and will sup with him.
    Yes because Jesus openly opposed their traditions. For example why would Jesus spit on the ground and make mud and put it on the blind's eyes if he could have simply said, "Be thou opened"? Because he's challenging their teachings.

    So that's why they opposed him. He said at the sermon on the mount, "You have heard that it's been said...but I say unto you" as opposed to "It is written".

    Probably the most challenging task was to heal on the Sabbath days. But Jesus wasn't afraid to do that openly. He would even make the sick run on the Sabbath as in John 9.

    Look for Arnold Fruchtenbaum's teachings online:
    http://deanbible.org/andromedaCS.php...%2FAudio+Files
    Last edited by gilgal; 07-19-2011 at 09:18 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,313

    Key = Knowledge

    Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

    Matt.23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
    Matt. 16:19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.


    Isa. 22:22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
    Rev. 3:7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;


    Looking at the above verses we see that “Knowledge is the Key” that is being spoken of. The Pharisee’s took away the Jew’s freedom to seek knowledge, thus they shut up the kingdom of heaven from men, meaning they took away the people’s ability to know the kingdom of heaven.

    Jesus said he has the “Key of the House of David” and that no man can shut what he has opened. The knowledge of the kingdom of heaven is the “Key” that Jesus imparted to mankind, whoever receives his Key of Knowledge will never lack understanding the truth.

    Knowledge is the Key to the universe!

    Rose
    Last edited by Rose; 07-20-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

    To know oneself is to know the universe...


    Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

    Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

    Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    ********************************
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yakima, Wa
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Looking at the above verses we see that 'Knowledge is the Key' that is being spoken of. The Pharisee’s took away the Jew’s freedom to seek knowledge, thus they shut up the kingdom of heaven from men, meaning they took away the people’s ability to know the kingdom of heaven.

    Jesus said he has the 'Key of the House of David' and that no man can shut what he has opened. The knowledge of the kingdom of heaven is the 'Key' that Jesus imparted to mankind, whoever receives his Key of Knowledge will never lack understanding the truth.

    Rose
    Knowledge is the Key.

    That says it all. That's how the Pharisees "shut up" the kingdom of God. They hid the knowledge. That's what all the "religious wars" have always centered on, and that's why Josh McDowell is saying that knowledge (information) is the primary threat against Christianity. Here's the article:

    Apologist Josh McDowell: Internet the Greatest Threat to Christians
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

    Check out my blog site

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    Looking at the above verses we see that 'Knowledge is the Key' that is being spoken of. The Pharisee’s took away the Jew’s freedom to seek knowledge, thus they shut up the kingdom of heaven from men, meaning they took away the people’s ability to know the kingdom of heaven.

    Jesus said he has the 'Key of the House of David' and that no man can shut what he has opened. The knowledge of the kingdom of heaven is the 'Key' that Jesus imparted to mankind, whoever receives his Key of Knowledge will never lack understanding the truth.

    Knowledge is the Key to the universe!

    Rose
    Isn't that what I said...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Isn't that what I said...
    Right on Beck... I guess I missed your post...

    Once knowledge is received it can never be taken away, that is why religious fanatics like the Pharisee's sought to keep knowledge from the people, thus keeping them in bondage.
    Hos.4:7 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
    Knowledge leads to truth...
    Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

    To know oneself is to know the universe...


    Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

    Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

    Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    ********************************
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •