Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

The Male Bias of the Bible

My premise for stating that I do not believe the Bible is the word of God, is based on the fact that Scripture is totally skewed and biased toward the male. The verses below are a glaring example of how the laws of Yahweh given to Moses are arbitrarily biased in favor of the male, showing an inequality in the treatment of the woman.

The passage in Leviticus deals with childbirth and how many days the woman is unclean after giving birth to a male child, and a female child. When a male child is born the woman is considered unclean for 7 days, and then another 33 days for purification is required, BUT when a woman bears a female child she is unclean for double the time (14 days), then another doubled time (66 days) is added for purification on top of the first.
    Lev.12:1-5 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days (7 days); according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. And she shall then continue in the blood of her purifying three and thirty days (33 days); she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying be fulfilled. But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks (14 days), as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days (66 days).
    This is just one of the many verses throughout the entire Bible that screams in our ears….MALE BIAS!

Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

The "uncleanness" is remedied by the passing of time.........by the circumcision of the male child.....the time is shortened.

Does uncleanness apply more to females than males?

joel
    For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38,39

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    My premise for stating that I do not believe the Bible is the word of God, is based on the fact that Scripture is totally skewed and biased toward the male. The verses below are a glaring example of how the laws of Yahweh given to Moses are arbitrarily biased in favor of the male, showing an inequality in the treatment of the woman.

The passage in Leviticus deals with childbirth and how many days the woman is unclean after giving birth to a male child, and a female child. When a male child is born the woman is considered unclean for 7 days, and then another 33 days for purification is required, BUT when a woman bears a female child she is unclean for double the time (14 days), then another doubled time (66 days) is added for purification on top of the first.
    Lev.12:1-5 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days (7 days); according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean. And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised. And she shall then continue in the blood of her purifying three and thirty days (33 days); she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying be fulfilled. But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks (14 days), as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days (66 days).
    This is just one of the many verses throughout the entire Bible that screams in our ears….MALE BIAS!

Rose
    Hey Rose,
    Regarding the male bias in scripture; I've always thought God (or CC) exhibited such a wonderful sense of humor,after all of their bias, to then relegate them to the position of Bride.

And about the periods of confinement. There is an underlying meaning in this, regarding the purification or refinement time and process of the Bride...both male and female. Jesus was the "male" whose time to fulfill the Atonement sacrifice as the first goat, in Christ's "death" work, came at 33.

33 is , as you know, written with a Lamed (authority) and gimel (camel..or to lift up) Jesus said that "if I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me."
    This holds the prophetic meaning of the 1st part of the Atonement sacrifice, for His fulfillment in the second goat, His Body who offer themselves up as a "Living Sacrifice".
    It shows the lifting up of the Head of the Body, as seen in the account of the baker/butler at Pharoah's feast.

The 66 is the double Vav and is the crucifixion nail (Jesus) and the fish hook of the 153 fish representing the "Sons of God"/or Christ in His corporate son/second goat.
    Of course it is also the Head/Body, corner/headstone, and the double witness of male/female , represented by the female child as the Bride.
    66 has also the rolling/consuming connotation which expresses the completion of the refining period, as did the 12 stones placed in Gilgal, after they had passed through the Jordan.

Adding the two together, we have the fulfillment of the two parts of the Atonement sacrifice expressed in the 99:
    It is:
    The Amen, The Branch, Door of Hope, and Fountain (of living water).

ps..I left out the most obvious meaning of the 99, or double Tet. It is the fulfillment of the two parts of Atonement sacrifice as the double witness of the Bronze Serpent "lifted up". It is the Bridegroom/Bride consumated.
    Last edited by kathryn; 06-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    The "uncleanness" is remedied by the passing of time.........by the circumcision of the male child.....the time is shortened.

Does uncleanness apply more to females than males?

joel
    How does circumcising the male baby make the momma get clean faster?

And what exactly was "unclean" about the woman who gave birth to a child? It can't be physical, because there is no physical difference in the cleanliness of the woman when she gives birth to a girl rather than a boy.

And why was giving birth considered sinful?
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    How does circumcising the male baby make the momma get clean faster?

And what exactly was "unclean" about the woman who gave birth to a child? It can't be physical, because there is no physical difference in the cleanliness of the woman when she gives birth to a girl rather than a boy.

And why was giving birth considered sinful?
    There is a difference between sin.....and uncleanness.....so it seems.

I think it has to do with the flesh which is unclean. It is a condition related to infirmity, weakness.

The infirmity of the flesh may have to do with the presence of sin within it.

With a male child, the flesh of the foreskin is cut off.......not possible with a female child.

Joel
    For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38,39

There is a difference between sin.....and uncleanness.....so it seems.

I think it has to do with the flesh which is unclean. It is a condition related to infirmity, weakness.

The infirmity of the flesh may have to do with the presence of sin within it.

With a male child, the flesh of the foreskin is cut off.......not possible with a female child.

Joel
    OK - but how would the cutting of the flesh of the male baby's foreskin make the mother become "clean" twice as quickly?

I'm pretty sure we can't say that it is talking about a physical condition of the flesh, since there is no difference in the mother's flesh based on the birth of a boy or girl.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

I believe it has to do with the blood as well. If we take this into the illustration of us as the mother, giving birth to the Christ in us , it is connected to the placenta that feeds the baby in the womb. (her nutrients pass through the blood) We are what we "eat" as spiritual food...and until the "donkey" is fully redeemed by the "Lamb", the placenta will hold an mixture. A mixture is always considered unclean (like the donkey).
    The menses of a woman are on the same cycle of the moon, which represents the carnal mind in one application. The shedding of the blood after childbirth , while the woman is considered unclean during this phase, is a picture of the scarlet thread in Rahab's window, through which the spies/rahab and household escape before the walls of Jericho (moon) fall.
    As I mentioned above, the time factors have the underlying meaning of the first and second work of Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    OK - but how would the cutting of the flesh of the male baby's foreskin make the mother become "clean" twice as quickly?

I'm pretty sure we can't say that it is talking about a physical condition of the flesh, since there is no difference in the mother's flesh based on the birth of a boy or girl.
    Jesus said that whatsoever is born of the flesh is flesh.....and whatsoever is born of the spirit is spirit. He also said that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. The flesh profiteth nothing........there is no difference between the flesh of a male and that of a female in this regard.

The difference, in this case, is in the ceremonial cleanness of the mother linked to the circumcision of the male child.......which is a spiritual issue, having to do with her relationship with God. In the case of a male child, the cutting away of the foreskin on the eighth day, as instructed by God to Moses, accrues to the benefit of the mother in that she is ceremonially clean after a shorter period of time due to the cutting away of the flesh of her new-born son.

Circumcision relates to an inward truth even though it is outward when the flesh of a male is cut away. Both male and female are to be circumcised of the heart, by a circumcision not made with hands, but by an operation of God.

It is my opinion that this citation in Leviticus is instructive to us......just as there are spiritual truths in many of the obscure narratives of the OT......we see first the outward......and are to seek an understanding of the inward truth which affects our spirits.
    Joel

Jesus said that whatsoever is born of the flesh is flesh.....and whatsoever is born of the spirit is spirit. He also said that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. The flesh profiteth nothing........there is no difference between the flesh of a male and that of a female in this regard.

The difference, in this case, is in the ceremonial cleanness of the mother linked to the circumcision of the male child.......which is a spiritual issue, having to do with her relationship with God. In the case of a male child, the cutting away of the foreskin on the eighth day, as instructed by God to Moses, accrues to the benefit of the mother in that she is ceremonially clean after a shorter period of time due to the cutting away of the flesh of her new-born son.

Circumcision relates to an inward truth even though it is outward when the flesh of a male is cut away. Both male and female are to be circumcised of the heart, by a circumcision not made with hands, but by an operation of God.

It is my opinion that this citation in Leviticus is instructive to us......just as there are spiritual truths in many of the obscure narratives of the OT......we see first the outward......and are to seek an understanding of the inward truth which affects our spirits.
    Joel
    First off, nothing of what you have said is even mentioned in the Bible, so in order for a ritual to have meaning it must be given a symbolic purpose. Nowhere, is it even remotely hinted at that the circumcision of a baby boy affects the purification of a woman.

More than likely what we see in Lev.12 is the "male bias" of the Bible. Over, and over again in Scripture women are given less value than men, they are treated as the property of the man and denied the same rights given to men. There is absolutely no defense, or justification for such behavior, but there is a reason. Since men were in control of society because of their brute strength, it only stands to reason that their ideas influenced the writing of the Bible.

Rose

Male Bias in the Bible: Part 2

Continuing on with the theme of Male Bias in the Bible, I’ll now turn to the book of Numbers. Scripture states: the Lord told Moses that if a man becomes jealous, because he thinks his wife might be having an adulterous affair, but has no evidence or witnesses to support his suspicions “only that the spirit of jealousy has come upon him”, then he is to take his wife to the priest, who goes through a ritual of scraping dirt off the floor of the Tabernacle in front of the altar, and mixing it with “holy water” forcing the woman to drink it. If the woman becomes ill she is assumed guilty and cursed, whereas if she does not become ill she is free.

Let me point out there is NO equivalent law pertaining to a woman if she becomes jealous and thinks her husband is having an adulterous affair.
    Num. 5:11-19 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man's wife go aside, and commit a trespass against him, And a man lie with her carnally, and it be hid from the eyes of her husband, and be kept close, and she be defiled, and there be no witness against her, neither she be taken with the manner; And the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled: Then shall the man bring his wife unto the priest, and he shall bring her offering for her, the tenth part of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil upon it, nor put frankincense thereon; for it is an offering of jealousy, an offering of memorial, bringing iniquity to remembrance. And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the LORD: And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water: And the priest shall set the woman before the LORD, and uncover the woman's head, and put the offering of memorial in her hands, which is the jealousy offering: and the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that causeth the curse: And the priest shall charge her by an oath, and say unto the woman, If no man have lain with thee, and if thou hast not gone aside to uncleanness with another instead of thy husband, be thou free from this bitter water that causeth the curse: …..27) And when he hath made her to drink the water, then it shall come to pass, that, if she be defiled, and have done trespass against her husband, that the water that causeth the curse shall enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly shall swell, and her thigh shall rot: and the woman shall be a curse among her people.
    If for no other reason these abominations should wake us up to some of the horrendously unjust, biased laws contained in the Bible, and cause us to be more discerning and careful when we speak as if every word in Scripture is coming from God...even when the Bible says "the Lord spoke". It’s time to take off the blinders and face reality; otherwise our progress to search out truth will be blocked.

Rose
    Last edited by Rose; 06-14-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Thread Information