Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: spoke 8

Quote Originally Posted by gilgal View Post
    Here's a small example:
    The common words are famine, in the land, sojourn.
    In both cases the women return to their land because the famine had ended.
    Yeah, I love the simplicity of this link. Book 8 and 2Kings 8. Although the link can be established by the unique words and expressions they have in common, the beauty is revealed in the way we interpret them. We assing meaning to the link: a common story of women affected by a famine.

It is good when we search for these common words and expressions in the Bible to try to make sense of the unique links. The mere mention of common words and expressions, though interesting, does not make the same impact as when find the sense that links the two passages. Thus even passages that do not have words in common can be uniquely linked by a common idea.

It is such a delight to read and compare Scripture, is it not?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yeah, I love the simplicity of this link. Book 8 and 2Kings 8. Although the link can be established by the unique words and expressions they have in common, the beauty is revealed in the way we interpret them. We assing meaning to the link: a common story of women affected by a famine.

It is good when we search for these common words and expressions in the Bible to try to make sense of the unique links. The mere mention of common words and expressions, though interesting, does not make the same impact as when find the sense that links the two passages. Thus even passages that do not have words in common can be uniquely linked by a common idea.

It is such a delight to read and compare Scripture, is it not? ;)
    I find that this is the mere beginning of understanding the things otherwise we wouldn't have understood.

What about the names Ruth, Naomi... what are their meanings? I find that at times even concordances show ambiguity or say that the original Hebrew Significance is lost.

Of all my friends that I've shown some may have said , "hmmm...interesting. And they moved on". But deep down you feel that they don't mean it. On the other hand some others have tried to discourage me in this type of research. I'm dedicating my time in building search engines to be able to look into this type of thing.
    Last edited by gilgal; 07-29-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Spoke 8: The meaning of the names of Ruth and Naomi

I find that this is the mere beginning of understanding the things otherwise we wouldn't have understood.

What about the names Ruth, Naomi... what are their meanings? I find that at times even concordances show ambiguity or say that the original Hebrew Significance is lost.
    Sometimes the meaning of a name is simple. Sometimes it is very hard to determine the meaning. Ruth is a perfect case of this indetermination. They say it is derived from the word Friend, which would make pretty good sense as it links to her story and also to Spoke 8 and Chet through the KeyWord Chavar (Friend, Companion; AV Psa 119:63).

There is thus a link between Spokes 8 and 20 based on the idea of Friend. Ruth begins with Resh and we have the Resh KeyWord Rayah (Friend; Associate; Pro 18:24) that dominates Proverbs, Luke and 3 John on Spoke 20.

As for Naomi, it is meaning is explained in Ruth 1:20 when she contrast the meaning of her name with "Bitter". So her name means Pleasant.

Of all my friends that I've shown some may have said , "hmmm...interesting. And they moved on". But deep down you feel that they don't mean it. On the other hand some others have tried to discourage me in this type of research. I'm dedicating my time in building search engines to be able to look into this type of thing.
    Oh yeah, that is the most common reaction. People don't bother. But in God's time some of His children will get more interested. Your work is laying the foundation for these kinds of studies that correlate common words and expressions between Bible passages. May the Lord bless your effort!

I finally was able to upload my search engine and database.

But there are many errors I have to fix.

I wonder if like in Ruth's case there are other passages in the bible where this name is defined.

Like in the prayer of Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, and his wife Elisabeth was mentioned in Zacharias' prayer:

Luke 1
    72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;
    73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,
    Zacharias means God remembers.
    Elisabeth means God's oath.
    Last edited by gilgal; 07-29-2008 at 07:23 PM.

I finally was able to upload my search engine and database.

But there are many errors I have to fix.

I wonder if like in Ruth's case there are other passages in the bible where this name is defined.

Like in the prayer of Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, and his wife Elisabeth was mentioned in Zacharias' prayer:

Zacharias means God remembers.
    Elisabeth means God's oath.
    Well, I don't know about Ruth but this Zach/Elisabeth association is really good!

That was from Arnold Fruchtenbaum's mp3s:
    http://deanbible.org/andromedaCS.php...%2FAudio+Files

He had a lot of insight on the Gospels and Jewish traditions...

The name of Ruth in the structure of the Bible

This week I was thinking about the name of Ruth. It is written R-V-TH in Hebrew. It can be read as "Resh and Tav". It just happens that in the same cycle where we find Ruth we find two books in the Resh and Tav position: Proverbs and Song of Songs. Both books share much of the feminine tone and spirit of Ruth. Proverbs depicts Lady Wisdom who has many of Ruth's traits. And the Song of Solomon is Bible book dedicated to a love story, just like Ruth.

There's more: Ruth is uniquely described by her future husband Boaz as a "virtuous woman", just like the "virtuous woman" of Proverbs 31:
    Rth 3:11 And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman.
    Pro 31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
    There is also a similar link between Ruth and the Song of Songs from the mouths of the main character of each book:
    Rth 2:13 Then she said, Let me find favour in thy sight, my lord; for that thou hast comforted me, and for that thou hast spoken friendly unto thine handmaid, though I be not like unto one of thine handmaidens.

Son 8:10 I am a wall, and my breasts like towers: then was I in his eyes as one that found favour.
    Note that the same things that are said of the woman of Proverbs and of the Shulamite are said of Ruth. And these same books - Proverbs and Song of Songs - correspond to the letters on the Bible Wheel that spell the name Ruth (Resh and Tav)!

But there's yet more! The two words that link Ruth to Proverbs and SofS are Virtuous (Chayil) and Favour (Chen). And these two words are fundamental Chet Keywords. Chet is the eight letter of the Alphabet, corresponding to Ruth, the 8th Book.

Therefore, although in the surface of the text the Bible does not provide as in Naomi's case a direct remark about the name of Ruth, it does link her name to other books that describe her character!

Victor

A pun on the name of the Shulamite

There's one more thing about the characters' names and the link above that I did not include but I think I should add considering that this thread is about Inner Cycles. In the Song of Songs we read:
    Son 8:10 I am a wall, and my breasts like towers: then was I in his eyes as one that found favour.
    The bolded phrase is very common in Hebrew. But the word translated as favour is not Chen as we would expect. It is Shalom (Peace).

Why not Chen? Well, that's likely because the main character is the Shulamite, based on the word Shalom! So in SoS 8:10 there is a pun on the name of Shulamite (as usual in the book) where the expected Hebrew word Chen is substituted by a cognate of Shalom.

And the KJV translates Shalom in this case as "Favour". It gets really interesting because the words quoted above are found in Chapter 8, governed by the letter Chet (Chen is a Chet KeyWord) and thus perfectly correlating with Book 8, Ruth!

There's a beautiful interweaving of meaning of names in this correlation. Song of Solomon 8 points to Ruth inasmuch as the name of Ruth points to Song of Solomon 8!

Thread Information