Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Context of Jude 1:6

I'm also looking into how Jude 1:6 with the description of the 'angel' which maybe translated as 'messenger' and placed in the context of false teachers and Jude given the reminder of those which was deceived by the lieing spies as messengers to the children of Israel concerning the promise land. That these and those that believed not would never entered the promised land and died. These are reserved in chains under darkness (chains of not knowing) and unto judgment of the great day.

messengers also, those who did not keep their own principality, but did leave their proper dwelling, to a judgment of a great day, in bonds everlasting, under darkness He hath kept, (Jude 1:6 Young's Literal)
    In the context of false teachers which would come in among them to contend for the faith as much as did in the past times of those which would have come out of Egypt.

I guess my reasoning is that I see the 'false teacher' those of Israelites which came out of Egypt in this case as translated as 'angels' messengers instead of reading that of heavenly angels being chained under darkness reserved to the judgment day.

How do you read and understand the context of Jude?

I have just read Jude 1 and understand it good, but don't understand what you are talking about. Where do you feel attracted to the most, Jude 1:19 or 1:20?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberX View Post
    I have just read Jude 1 and understand it good, but don't understand what you are talking about. Where do you feel attracted to the most, Jude 1:19 or 1:20?
    In your good understanding verse 19 "these be they who separate themselves, senual, having not the Spirit." These are of 'angels' or False Teachers? It would be by understanding that those refered to as in verse 6 concerning the 'angels' or no more that false teachers and not of heavenly beings.

The interpretation of the "messengers" as false teaches (rather than angelic beings) has some support from 2 Peter:
    2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. 4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; 6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
    I highlighted the reference to Sodom and Gomorrha too because Jude used their destruction in his short epistle too. There are many connections between 2 Peter and Jude on this issue.
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    In your good understanding verse 19 "these be they who separate themselves, senual, having not the Spirit." These are of 'angels' or False Teachers? It would be by understanding that those refered to as in verse 6 concerning the 'angels' or no more that false teachers and not of heavenly beings.
    Succes with your investigation in false this and false that, I guess I am not interested enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    The interpretation of the "messengers" as false teaches (rather than angelic beings) has some support from 2 Peter:
    2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. 4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; 6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;
    I highlighted the reference to Sodom and Gomorrha too because Jude used their destruction in his short epistle too. There are many connections between 2 Peter and Jude on this issue.
    Thanks, Richard
    I was about to bring 2 Peter up, but I though Jude had enough internal evidence.

Viewing this passage from Jude as speaking of those "messengers" of God from the days of Noah. I see them as those born from the line of Seth when men began to call upon the name of the Lord (Gen 4:26). They were not of the line of Cain, who was cursed by God and cast out to be a vagabond on the earth. The line of Seth, from whom Noah came, should have been messengers of God, preachers of righteousness, just as Noah was. But instead we find they left their natural habitation and made marriages with the unnatural or ungodly line of Cain. Thereby polluting the Godly seed, becoming wicked, violent and corrupt. This is why God sent the flood to destroy all flesh, and to begin again with the linage of Noah leading to the birth of Christ.

Instead of being messengers of God, and preachers of righteousness they forsook the ways of God, and for this they are the messengers that sinned, cast down to hell, held in chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment (2Pe 2:4-5).

Thread Information