Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

A pattern hidden in names

Here is a quote from my book - "One God Many faces" -

Only twice in the whole Bible does God predict the proper name of a person before they
    are born. In both cases God also predicts the specific events surrounding these two
    people, and the specific things they will do. The first name is JOSIAH. The second name
    is that of CYRUS. Both have an interesting connection to the events of the Captivity.

JOSIAH

During the reigns of king Saul, king David and king Solomon, Israel was a united
    kingdom. However, after the reign of king Solomon ended (in 977 B.C.) Israel became
    divided into 2 separate kingdoms - the Northern Kingdom with it's capital at Samaria, and
    the Kingdom of Judah with it's capital at Jerusalem. There was a king of the Northern
    Kingdom - named Jeroboam, and a king of the Kingdom of Judah - named Rehoboam.
    Division of the Kingdom After Solomon

The Northern Kingdom King is Jeroboam Capital at Samaria
    The Kingdom of Judah King is Rehoboam Capital at Jerusalem

There was still only one religion, the worship of YWHW, and the centre of this religion
    was at the Temple of Jerusalem . However, Jeroboam was worried because he believed
    that if his people continued to worship at Jerusalem they would return to serving
    Rehoboam. So to avoid this Jeroboam set about creating a new religion with a new centre
    of worship - so his people would no longer have to go to Jerusalem.

So Jeroboam made 2 gold calves, and set one up at Bethel and the other up at Dan. He
    established a new religion with new idols, new shrines, new priests, new festivals. Then a
    prophet from Judah came to the shrine at Bethel while king Jeroboam was worshipping
    there.

By the word of the LORD a man of God came from Judah to Bethel as Jeroboam
    was standing at the altar to make an offering. The man of God cried out against
    the altar by the word of the LORD:
    "O altar, altar! This is what the LORD says: "A son named Josiah will be born to
    the house of David. On you he will sacrifice the priests of the high places who
    now make offerings here, and human bones will be burnt on you."
    That same day the man of God gave a sign: "This is the sign the LORD has
    declared: the altar will be split apart and the ashes on it will be poured out."

When king Jeroboam heard what the man of God cried out against the altar at
    Bethel, he stretched out his hand from the altar and said, "Seize him!". But the
    hand he stretched out towards the man shrivelled up, so that he could not pull it
    back. Also the altar was split apart and it's ashes poured out according to the sign
    given by the man of God by the word of the LORD.

Then the king said to the man of God, "Intercede with the LORD your God and
    pray for me that my hand may be restored." So the man of God interceded with
    the LORD, and the king's hand was restored and became as it was before.
    1 KINGS 13 v 1-6

This prophecy achieved a remarkable fulfillment 350 years later when for the first time a
    king named JOSIAH became king of Judah. When Josiah was 8 years old he became
    king, and he reigned at Jerusalem for 31 years. In the 18th year of Josiah's reign (622
    B.C.) Josiah's officials discovered the Book of the Law - and Josiah read it and realized
    how much Israel had disobeyed God's laws. He humbled himself before the LORD, and
    became determined to purge Israel of it's idolatry.

Josiah sent his officials to the prophetess Huldah in Jerusalem to enquire of her what the
    discovery of the Book of the Law meant. She gave them this prophecy -

"This is what the LORD says: I am going to bring disaster on this place and it's
    people, according to everything written in the Book the king of Judah has read.
    Because they have forsaken me and burned incense to other gods and provoked
    me to anger by all the idols their hands have made, my anger will burn against
    this place and will not be quenched."

"This is what the LORD, the God of Israel says concerning the words you heard:
    Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the LORD
    when you heard what I have spoken against this place and it's people, that they
    would become accursed and laid waste, and because you tore your robes and
    wept in my presence, I have heard you declares the LORD. Therefore I will gather
    you to your fathers, and you will be buried in peace. Your eyes will not see all the
    disaster I am going to bring on this place."
    2 KINGS Chapter 22

King Josiah carried out a complete purge of idolatry both in the Kingdom of Judah and in
    the Northern Kingdom. It was the greatest purge that Israel had ever seen and would ever
    see. He removed all the idols from the Temple of Jerusalem and burned them outside
    Jerusalem. He also destroyed all the "high places" or altars throughout all of Israel where
    worship of the idols took place and slaughtered all the idolatrous priests. At Bethel people
    had been buried near to the altars (buried on holy ground they believed). Josiah dug up
    these bodies and burned them on the altars, thus fulfilling the prophecies made 350 years
    earlier. 2 Kings chapter 23 describes the purge of Josiah.

CYRUS

God not only prophecied the exact duration of the captivity, He also prophecied the name
    of the man who would bring the captivity to an end - CYRUS. More amazing still, the
    name of CYRUS was prophecied more than 100 years before CYRUS was even born.
    God prophecied that Cyrus would allow the Jews to return to their homeland and would
    issue a decree authorizing the rebuilding of their Temple at Jerusalem.

"This is what the LORD says - your Redeemer, who formed you out of the
    womb:....who says of Jerusalem, "It shall be inhabited," of the towns of Judah,
    "They shall be built", and of their ruins, "I will restore them", who says to the
    watery deep, "Be dry and I will dry up your streams", who says of Cyrus, "He is
    my shepherd and will accomplish all that I please; he will say to Jerusalem, "Let
    it be rebuilt", and of the Temple, "Let it's foundations be laid."
    ISAIAH 44 v 24-28

"This is what the LORD says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take
    hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armour, to open
    doors before him so that gates will not be shut: I will go before you and will level
    the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I
    will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you
    may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who calls you by name. For the
    sake of Jacob my servant, of Israel my chosen, I call you by name and bestow on
    you a title of honour, though you do not acknowledge me. I am the LORD, and
    there is no other; apart from me there is no God. I will strengthen you, though
    you have not acknowledged me, so that from the rising of the Sun to the place of
    it's setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD, and there is
    no other. I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create
    disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things..."
    ISAIAH 45 v 1-7

"This is what the LORD says - the Holy One of Israel, and it's maker: Concerning
    things to come,.....I will raise up Cyrus in my righteousness: I will make all his
    ways straight. He will rebuild my city and set my exiles free, but not for a price or
    reward, says the LORD Almighty."
    ISAIAH 45 v 11-13

The ministry of the prophet Isaiah lasted until about 690 B.C. so these prophecies were
    all made before that date. Cyrus was born 607 B.C. at the earliest - almost 100 years after
    the prophecies were written.

TESTIMONY OF CYRUS HIMSELF TO ISAIAH'S PROPHECY

We find recorded in the history of Josephus that Cyrus wrote throughout all his
    dominions that -
    "God Almighty hath appointed me to be king of the habitable earth," and that "He
    indeed foretold my name by the prophets, and that I should build him a house at
    Jerusalem which is in the country of Judea."
    Josephus goes on to say that, when Cyrus had read the words of the prophet Isaiah,
    "He called for the most eminent Jews in Babylon and said to them, that he gave
    them leave to go back to their country and to rebuild their city Jerusalem and the
    Temple of God."
    Josephus also gives a copy of the letter written by Cyrus to the governors that were in
    Syria, which letter begins as follows:
    "King Cyrus to Sisinnes and Sathrabuzzanes, sendeth greetings. I have given
    leave to as many of the Jews that dwell in my country as please to do so to return
    to their own country, and to rebuild the city, and to rebuild the Temple of God at
    Jerusalem on the same place where it was before."
    JOSEPHUS - ANTIQUITIES Bk XI, Chapter 1 see 1 & 3

But what has all this to do with the Captivity - precisely this - in the whole Bible only two
    people are prophesied by name before their birth - JOSIAH and CYRUS. Josiah ruled up
    until the very year that the captivity began. He died in 607 B.C. Cyrus's reign began in
    537 B.C., the very year the Captivity ended.

So God not only predicted the length of the Captivity, but also the names of the rulers at
    it's beginning and end – rulers that God claims to have put in place. It is a huge
    coincidence that the only 2 names prophesied should "frame" the captivity in this way.
    These 2 names surely emphasize the fact that it is God who started the Captivity and it is
    God who ended it.

The seventy years of captivity represents a great turning point in Jewish history, for it is
    the very time that God turned from the Jewish people to the Gentiles.
    As you can see, in the whole Bible there are two people who are named before they were born, and these two people mark the beginning and end of the seventy years of captivity under the Babylonians. After 70 years the Jews returned to their homeland, however they were not an independent people but were subject to the power and rule of a succession of Gentile empires including the Persians and Greeks. These times of the Gentiles were to last 430 years in total.

In the Book of Daniel two characters are allotted the majority of space - these are Nebuchadnessar, and Antiochus Epiphanes. The reigns of Nebuchadnezzar and Antiochus mark the beginning and end of the 430 years mentioned by Ezekiel.

What is interesting is that the gematria for the name Nebuchadnezzar is the same as the gematria for Antiochus Epiphanes - 423

Nebuchadnezzar's name in cuneiform is NabĂ»-kudurri-uṣur which should be transliterated into Hebrew as נבוכדנאצר or Nebuwkadne'tstsar (as it is in Jer. 46:2, 39:11). It is unlikely to be a coincidence that when the numbers represented by "Nebuwkadne'tstsar" are added up, they come exactly the same figure (423) as the numbers of the name "Antiochus Epiphanes".[52][59]
    This has struck many ATHEISTS as too much of an odd coincidence, and so it may also strike us as quite odd.

It seems that the beginning and end of the times of the Gentiles were marked by names with a numerical equivalence. Both Nebuchadnezzar and Antiochus also shared similarities in that both set up statues that had to be worshipped and both suspended the daily sacrifice. So they are also typologically equivalent.

Such a numerical equivalence is intriguing. If this is more than a coincidence, then the numbers of the names of other monarchs during the Times of the Gentiles may also follow a pattern. Nothing is beyond God. We know that God was in control of this whole period, orchestrating the rise and fall of each monarch. Perhaps the numbers of their names indicate this.

So we might start by making a list of all the monarchs during the Times of the Gentiles that are mentioned in the Bible - Massoretic Text and Septuagint. These monarchs will include all who reigned between Nebuchadnessar and Antiochus Epiphanes.
    Last edited by Craig.Paardekooper; 08-03-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Kings of the Captivity

The Bible mentions Nebuchadnessar first.

Then it mentions Belshazzar ( Daniel 5 v 2), a descendant of Nebuchadnessar. Belshazzar is slain by Darius the Mede. This would be Darius the first, whose father was Hystaspes (Vishtapa)

The name Belshazzar is the name of the Babylonian God that Nebuchadnessar worshipped (Daniel 4 v 9)

It is also the name Nebuchadnessar gave to Daniel - Belteshazzar (Daniel 4 v 9)

Daniel and his 3 friends
    Daniel = Belteshazzar
    Hananiah = Shadrach
    Mishael = Meshach
    Azariah = Abednego

Here are the numeric values of these names as given on a web site here -Click
    Daniel
    numeric value

Hananiah
    numeric value

Mishael
    numeric value

Azariah
    numeric value

Note: just came across an interesting page here - Click
    Last edited by Craig.Paardekooper; 08-08-2010 at 03:29 PM.

What are the meanings of the names Josiah and Cyrus?

Thread Information