Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Arrow Ps 138:2 'imrah'

I've been looking at the words for 'word' in Hebrew off and on for years. I'd like your feedback on the 'present' understanding of what the various words used for 'word' mean in English and our way of thinking.
    One example that come to mind is from Ps 138:2. It seems to me that the Psalmist is saying, you have magnified (enlarged) your 'spoken word' above all Your name. If we can safely translate this (in our thinking) to 'spoken word' (like rhema in Greek) what would be the best understanding of 'dabar' which could literally be translated as 'worded' a 'word' in some places. Is that the same as 'spoke in my spirit a word'? Would dabar be something of equivalent to 'logos' or 'presence'? And how do these differ from 'amar said?
    Thanks.

Ps 138:2 I will worship <shachah> toward thy holy <qodesh> temple <heykal>, and praise <yadah> thy name <shem> for thy lovingkindness <checed> and for thy truth <'emeth>: for thou hast magnified <gadal> thy word <'imrah> above all thy name <shem>. (KJV)

0565. 'imrah, aleph mem resh heh
    or memrah {em-raw'}; feminine of 561, and meaning the same:--commandment, speech, word. Gen 4:23 1st of 35 uses; hearken to my 'speech': for I have slain a man Dt 32:2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, My 'speech' shall distill as the dew; Dt 33:9 for they have observed Your 'word', and kept Your covenant; 2 Sam 22:31 As for El, His way is perfect; the 'word' of YHWH is tried (tsaraph, refined): He is a buckler(magen, shield) to all them that trust in Him; Ps 12:6 The 'words' of YHWH are pure 'words': as silver is tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times; Ps 17:6 O El: incline Your ear to me, and hear my 'speech'; Ps 105:19 Until the time that his dabar word came: the 'word' of YHWH tsaraph tried him; Ps 119:11 Your 'word' have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against theey, 119:38 Establish Your 'word' to Your servant, who is devoted to Your fear; 119:412 Let Your chesed come also to me, O YHWH, even Your tashuwah salvation, according to Your 'word'; Ps 119:50 This is my nechamah comfort in my 'oniy affliction: for Your 'word' has quickened me;

See Hebrew 0561 ('emer) see Ps 138:4
    for you are NOW Light; walk as Sons of Light Eph 5:8

Bump. I notice that 'dabar' is often translated as 'things'. IT's almost like they're equating 'words' with 'things' (spiritual things?).
    for you are NOW Light; walk as Sons of Light Eph 5:8

Thread Information