Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Not from this world...from the other side

Body Soul and Spirit

I would like know your views on Body Soul and Spirit. It is said that man is composed of these 3 component, a triune. I used to think and still think that the soul and sprit are the same thing. I find these quite profound. I could understand the Body perfectly but not soul and spirit. A check on the internet provides only some insights and more confusion:

"Each man and woman born into this world is a being made of three (3) distinct components:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and [I pray God] your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    (1 Thessalonians 5:23 KJV)

1: The BODY. This is your PHYSICAL component of being. It is flesh made from a collection of unremarkable mineral elements (but is mostly water) and is in harmony with the nature and spirit of this world. It grows, matures, begins to deteriorate, eventually dies, and then decomposes back into its constituent elements and remains a part of the dust of the world. The body is a part of you but is NOT ALL of what defines who YOU are.

"And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,"
    (Proverbs 5:11 KJV)

2: The SOUL. This is who YOU are; it is a part of your SPIRITUAL component. This is your individuality, your "I AM" so to speak, your "heart." Although your individual soul did not exist before your mother and father procreated you, it will exist forever. It cannot be killed by man:

"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
    (Matt. 10:28 KJV)

When your body dies your soul (YOU) will leave the body of flesh:

"And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin."
    (Genesis 35:18 KJV)

3: The SPIRIT. This is the source of power and control for both your body and soul; it is either evil or good, darkness or light, unholy or Holy, unclean or clean, of Satan or of God:

"But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of."
    (Luke 9:55 KJV)

Where your soul spends eternity after it departs is determined by your personal relationship to God (saved or unsaved). You are an eternal being. You determine your own destiny. In fact, the Bible says that you are a "god" (small "g"):

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?"
    (John 10:34 KJV)

"So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."
    (Gen 1:27 KJV)

(see also Isaiah 41:23 and Psalms 82:6)"

Can anyone enlighten me?

Many Blessings.

I do not believe in the Greek notion of man being 3 parts, although I used to. When the bible uses those 3 terms together, the reader would not take them to mean man is made up of 3 parts, but simply speaking of the whole of man. Similarly, when Jesus said to love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength, they would not have taken it to mean man is made up of those 4 parts. Again, it is a way of speaking of the whole of man.

What I understand is this:

As far as man goes, has has a body. This was formed from the dust of the ground by God. In itself, it is a lifeless corpse, a shell or vessel.

God formed within man his spirit, that part of man which is of God. He did this by breathing the breath of life into his nostrils. This is what gives the body life and keeps it alive.

For man, the combination of the body and spirit makes one a soul, specifically, a living soul. Man is a soul. It speaks of the entire man as either living, or dead. It also speaks of what man thinks and feels. Since the spirit is life, it too feels and expresses emotion, which is why they are so similarly spoken of.

God, is spirit. Yet, when speaking of himself, he too speaks concerning his soul, which, in his case, is speaking of the whole of God, as spirit. He is not a soul, but has one, wherein man both is a soul, and has one. The difference is in man's having a physical body. God, who's soul is spirit, is life. Man, who's soul is body and spirit, has life.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

I tend to believe some of the things you have said. I believe there is only Body and spirit. The soul is probably just a small component of the spirit and thus can also mean the spirit. Therefore, soul and spirit is interchangeable.

I was just thinking, when a person dies, his body is left on earth and turn to dust and the spirit went to heaven, what happened to the soul? Unless the soul is a component of the spirit and is attach to it, thus if the spirit went to heaven, the soul goes along with the spirit.

Many Blessings.

Like you said, there is only body and spirit that makes up man. The soul is speaking of that combination in total, not something separate in or as a part of man. Like you said, the soul and spirit are very closely related. I know the spirit goes back to God, like you said, because it came from him. The body goes back to the ground. I believe that the soul then ceases to exist, for the body and spirit are separated. When God made man, nowhere do we read that any soul entered into man or joined to him. Scripture says man BECAME a soul, which to me means the soul came into existence.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryfl View Post
    Like you said, there is only body and spirit that makes up man. The soul is speaking of that combination in total, not something separate in or as a part of man. Like you said, the soul and spirit are very closely related. I know the spirit goes back to God, like you said, because it came from him. The body goes back to the ground. I believe that the soul then ceases to exist, for the body and spirit are separated. When God made man, nowhere do we read that any soul entered into man or joined to him. Scripture says man BECAME a soul, which to me means the soul came into existence.

Ron
    Thanks Ron,

But the souls do goes back to heaven(Revelation 6:9, 20:4), soul have emotions and desires, soul is associated with the body (matthew 10:28, "the body is of no avail"), soul can also be destroyed and die:

Job 33:28
He redeemed my soul from going down to the pit, and I will live to enjoy the light.'

Matthew 10:28
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

1 Peter 2:11
Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.

Revelation 6:9
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.

Revelation 20:4
I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Of interest is Revelation 20:4 which says that the soul came back to life i.e. becomes a living thing with body and spirit suggesting as you said in your previous post,:
    "God formed within man his spirit, that part of man which is of God. He did this by breathing the breath of life into his nostrils. This is what gives the body life and keeps it alive......Man, who's soul is body and spirit, has life".

Many Blessings to you

Cheow and Ron,

This is a discussion that may have an on-going component lasting throughout the ages.....ever since the garden.

We all agree that the body of man comes from the earth.......it is earthy. It comes from the soil, so we could also say that is soilish......even though that is ackward.

In the Greek, body is "soma". It is the vessel, Paul referred to it as a vessel of "clay". It is mostly referring to the individual body of each human.

When expressed in a larger sense, it is large group of individuals functioning as a "body" with members, just as the human body has many members and parts, each performing specific tasks within the body.

The spirit, in the Greek, is "pneuma" and is associated with breath, moving air, wind. As Ron said.......God breathed into the earth form conveying "life".

When spirit united with soil, Adam was said to become a living soul. This is yet a third word in Greek, "psuche". The expressive, conscious, aware, awake person is body united with spirit, a living soul.

If you were to do a word search on each of these three words, there may come forth a clarity to a very cloudy situation.

Upon death, we know from Genesis that the body returns to the soil.

Jesus, on the cross, commended His spirit to God, a return to the heavenly realm.

So, if the body is in the soil, and the spirit returns to
    God, Who is spirit, where does the soul go?

That question should be carefully considered.

I suggest going into the Hebrew and examining those scriptures which discuss "nephesh", the Hebrew word for soul. We may find some clarity there.

Joel
    For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38,39

Very good idea Joel.

Another interesting usage of the word nephesh is here:

Lev 17:11 for the soul of the flesh, it is in the blood.

This helps us get a more well-informed idea as to what the soul is. It is a scientific fact that blood carries oxygen throughout the body, a necessary thing, else the body would die. It is not the blood itself, but its function, that is in view here. Notice that the soul is not called blood, but rather, that it is IN the blood. The writer, under inspiration, is speaking about the breath from God that sustains all life, known as oxygen, being found in the blood. Thus we see a more concrete meaning of the word nephesh. When he is a living nephesh, he is a living breather of oxygen. When he is a dead nephesh, he is no longer breathing oxygen. When the nephesh leaves a man, his life is leaving him, just as when a man stops breathing, oxygen slowly leaves the blood, thus enacting the process of death. Until that is complete, there is the possibility of resuscitated through CPR. This is because the oxygen is still in the blood, but only for a short time, since it must be maintained and replenished by the act of breathing.

Ron
    Last edited by gregoryfl; 01-05-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Good subject Cheow. Since this isn't complicated enough......, I would be interested in all your thoughts on Paul's description of "with what body do they come?" ....."It is a spiritual body."

Quote Originally Posted by basilfo View Post
    Good subject Cheow. Since this isn't complicated enough......, I would be interested in all your thoughts on Paul's description of "with what body do they come?" ....."It is a spiritual body."
    Hi Dave,

The natural versus the spiritual bodies again right?.....I have already answered.

http://www.biblewheel.com/forum/show...?t=1258&page=3

Many Blessings.

Job 4:9 By the breath of Eloah are they perishing, And by the spirit of His nostrils are they being finished.

Here is another piece of the puzzle that helps us understand what man is. This breath [neshamah] is also called the spirit [ruach] of his nostrils. We know this because this verse is a hebrew parallelism, where you have the same thing being repeated in two different ways:

1. By the breath of Eloah are they perishing

2. by the spirit of his nostrils are they being finished.

Here breath and spirit are synonymous, as well as perishing and being finished.

Now, here is the kicker. This neshamah is what makes man different from the animals. It was this neshamah that God breathed into man that made him who he was. This neshamah is the same as the spirit, which we have established returns to God upon death. It is man's mind, and the neshamah gives it life. Without it man is but a beast.

This neshamah is the spirit of the mind, spoken of in the new testament, that which gives man his mind, different from the beasts of the earth. That essence of who man is goes back to God, but needs a body in order to exist in the state which God gave it.

We can also see this idea of the neshamah, man's spirit, being understood as man's mind, in Job 32:8:

Job 32:8 But surely it is the spirit in a mortal, And the breath of Him Who Suffices that gives them understanding.

This again is another hebrew parallelism, where the spirit in man, and breath of God, are the same thing. And what does it give man? Understanding, a faculty of the mind which animals do not have.

Psa 146:4 His spirit departs, and he returns to the earth. In that very day, his reflections perish.

This is why man's reflections perish when his spirit departs, for without the spirit, man does not have the faculties of thought.

Ron
    Last edited by gregoryfl; 01-05-2010 at 02:23 AM.

Thread Information