Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prime numbers

Interesting discussion on prime numbers, guys.

I've got three prime birthdays myself

as you can see i'm coming up on my third prime birthday 38! 2 metonic cycles indeed. in fact, averaging all the numbers 1 - 38 equals 19.5. and that is decimal harmonic of 195 being 7/14.

i bet if there's anyone who could see the significance of something it would be you guys.

9/11 is the 254th day of the year
    254 is the index of 1609 - the very year and the day henry hudson discovered the island of manhattan.
    bye bye miss american pie...

Quote Originally Posted by Qube!714 View Post
    i bet if there's anyone who could see the significance of something it would be you guys.

9/11 is the 254th day of the year
    254 is the index of 1609 - the very year and the day henry hudson discovered the island of manhattan.
    I certainly can see the connection, but I can't see how we could tell if it was the result of chance, design, or law (ordering principle).

Do you have a way to distinguish between chance and design in things like this?

BTW ~ welcome to our forum!

All the best,

Richard
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

I certainly can see the connection, but I can't see how we could tell if it was the result of chance, design, or law (ordering principle).

interesting question, i guess i would say i don't believe in chance.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    interesting question, i guess i would say i don't believe in chance.
    Fascinating answer. Does that mean that you believe everything is designed in a meaningful and interpretable way? The shape of every cloud? The exact sequence of phone numbers in every phone book? The precise coordinates (both cartesian and radial) of every pimple on the face of every teenager? After a while, the concept of "random" seems to make a lot of sense!
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

if i believe that God sustains creation from one moment to the next how could i possibly believe in randomness?

i wonder is casting lots leaving things to chance?

if i believe that God sustains creation from one moment to the next how could i possibly believe in randomness?

i wonder is casting lots leaving things to chance?
    I understand the idea of God sustaining creating, but how does that imply that the date of 9/11 was deliberately encoded in the sequence of prime numbers? That seems completely random to me because there is no consistent pattern. Especially because the date 9/11 is relevant only to very recent history, yet the sequence of primes is eternal.

As for casting lots ~ that has been a standard method of divination found in most cultures. For example, the Chinese cast yarrow sticks or coins and use them to discern the Tao. Do you think that God designed the I Ching so that they could get good info that way?

Also, does casting lots really work? I mean, can you correctly predict anything by casting lots? Sure, there are a few Biblical passages that suggest that casting lots may be legit, but then again, you and I both know that it wouldn't really work consistently for us, right?

Check out my blog site

i'm just gonna say this. you have a one in 365 chance of henry hudson having discovered the island of manhattan on a given day. now him doing so on the prime number year indexed by that day is beyond probability for me.

now you're mileage may vary.

and why does the idea of casting lots seem so preposterous to the modern mind? the bible is rife with example with lots being cast to replace Judas for example. chalk it up to the complete usurpation of the mind by greek rational thinking?

i'm just gonna say this. you have a one in 365 chance of henry hudson having discovered the island of manhattan on a given day. now him doing so on the prime number year indexed by that day is beyond probability for me.

now you're mileage may vary.
    Actually, I don't get any mileage at all because there is no meaning to the connection you found. Did it help help anyone predict the event? No. Did it help anyone understand the reason for the event? No. Will this knowledge help anyone avoid similar events in the future? No. All these answers are "no" so what good is it? It looks like it's just a random coincidence. Your probability calculation does not change this impression because almost every event is extremely "improbable" if you calculate the "odds" of it happening. For example, the probability of dealing any random 5-card hand is one chance in (52-choose-5) = 2,598,260. Thus, any hand you are dealt is extremely improbable. I believe exactly the same thing is going on with your date calculation. Is there any reason to believe it is not simply a random coincidence? And if it is not random, then shouldn't you find similar connections with other important dates like December 7th since the attack on Pearl Harbor was at least as significant as 9/11? Shouldn't we find the date that Hawaii was discovered? But that calculation doesn't work, does it?

and why does the idea of casting lots seem so preposterous to the modern mind? the bible is rife with example with lots being cast to replace Judas for example. chalk it up to the complete usurpation of the mind by greek rational thinking?
    I don't recall saying that casting lots was "preposterous." I simply asked if you thought it really worked, and you have not answered. Here is the question I asked:
    I mean, can you correctly predict anything by casting lots? Sure, there are a few Biblical passages that suggest that casting lots may be legit, but then again, you and I both know that it wouldn't really work consistently for us, right?
    So what do you think? Can you consistently predict events using lots? I think we both know the answer to that, since otherwise you'd be a billionaire, right?

All the best,

Richard

Check out my blog site

later......

Thread Information