Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

The meaning of the name Jephthah

Japheth and Jephtae seem interesting.
    Japheth (yod peh tav) is the 11th from Adam and Jephthah (yod peh tav chet) is mentioned in both Judges 11 and Hebrews 11.
    The Strong's concordance says Japheth 3315:
    "Expansion";
    The Strong's concordance says Jephthah 3316:
    "He will open"

Looking at the root of the word of Jephthah is (peh tav chet) Strong's concordance 6606. There are some results within the books of wisdom such as Proverbs. It relates to opening of the mouth. And looking at Jephthah I think he did a lot of talking with his enemies. Therefore he opened his mouth very often!

Any thoughts?

Wow. The scripture speaks for itself. There is actually a mentioning of that in the chapter:
    Judges 7
    35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back.
    So Jephthah means: he opened.

Congratulations for the finding. It is one more instance where the meaning of the name of the Bible character is reflected on the surface text.

Jephthah's name comes from the root petach, to open. Petach is a Pey KeyWord, and Pey literally means "mouth", so it is striking to find him saying "I have opened my mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Congratulations for the finding. It is one more instance where the meaning of the name of the Bible character is reflected on the surface text.

Jephthah's name comes from the root petach, to open. Petach is a Pey KeyWord, and Pey literally means "mouth", so it is striking to find him saying "I have opened my mouth."
    I think there's another word also used for opening.

I think it is peter/pitrah. (Strong's 6363.) It is often used in the phrase "opening of the womb."

The strange thing about this is that before he made the vow the narrator says that the Spirit of God came upon him as he said this vow. Does this mean that the pronunciation of the vow was inspired by God or that he had a big mouth and talked too much?
    Judges 11:29 Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over [unto] the children of Ammon.
    Judges 11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
    Judges 11:31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD'S, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

Unregistered Guest

meaning of the name jephthah

Quote Originally Posted by gilgal View Post
    Japheth and Jephtae seem interesting.
    Japheth (yod peh tav) is the 11th from Adam and Jephthah (yod peh tav chet) is mentioned in both Judges 11 and Hebrews 11.
    The Strong's concordance says Japheth 3315:
    "Expansion";
    The Strong's concordance says Jephthah 3316:
    "He will open"

Looking at the root of the word of Jephthah is (peh tav chet) Strong's concordance 6606. There are some results within the books of wisdom such as Proverbs. It relates to opening of the mouth. And looking at Jephthah I think he did a lot of talking with his enemies. Therefore he opened his mouth very often!

Any thoughts?
    Spelling used in the NIV bible is "Jephthah." Pronounced, "Jeff the...." In hebrew it means "The LORD frees, opens." Ref: the strongest niv exhaustive concordance 1984.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Spelling used in the NIV bible is "Jephthah." Pronounced, "Jeff the...." In hebrew it means "The LORD frees, opens." Ref: the strongest niv exhaustive concordance 1984.

Jephthah's daughter is notorious example. Evidentally Jeff made rash statement with own lips that caused him to miss having grandchildren. The Power of the Tongue coming into play here. Somewhat like in Esthers time when the King couldn't 'take back' what he'd spoken.

"And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the LORD, and I cannot go back". Judg11:35 KJV
    Dux allows: "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out the matter". Pr25:2

Jephthah was a very talkative person. Maybe God used that for his own glory. Maybe the daughter played a shadow of Jesus Christ a she wept and then was sacrificed. But Jephthah wasn't expecting his daughter to be the first to walk out the door. Also why did God give him victory if he knew that Jephthah's daughter will be sacrificed if Jephthah won? So I think it was according to God's plan.

Thread Information