Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The Sabbath

Quote Originally Posted by RND View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM
    No, I am not saying that. You are the one saying that Christians should obey the Sabbath law. Don't you know what you have been saying?
    So you believe then that it is OK to ignore the 4th commandment? Yet isn't you that presumes to tell people how to keep it? Odd.
    There's nothing odd about it at all. You say Christians should keep the OT law, but you don't keep the OT law. If anything is "odd" it's gotta be that!
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    There's nothing odd about it at all. You say Christians should keep the OT law, but you don't keep the OT law. If anything is "odd" it's gotta be that!
    Actually, I probably revere more OT law than you Richard. I don't eat unclean animals which is one example. I am sabbath observant.

If I'm not mistaken you aren't sabbath observant so you reject the sabbath - yet you purport to tell others how to keep something you won't.

As I said, see James.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryfl View Post
    At the risk of being misunderstood, I want to ask another question concerning that subject of work done or not done on the Sabbath.

This event I'm sure everyone is familiar with, and I think it relates in some way to the point that is being discussed:

Mat 12:1 At that time, Jesus went on the Sabbath day through the grain fields. His disciples were hungry and began to pluck heads of grain and to eat.
    Mat 12:2 But the Pharisees, when they saw it, said to him, "Behold, your disciples do what is not lawful to do on the Sabbath."
    Mat 12:3 But he said to them, "Haven't you read what David did, when he was hungry, and those who were with him;
    Mat 12:4 how he entered into the house of God, and ate the show bread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for those who were with him, but only for the priests?
    Mat 12:5 Or have you not read in the law, that on the Sabbath day, the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are guiltless?
    Mat 12:6 But I tell you that one greater than the temple is here.
    Mat 12:7 But if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless.
    Mat 12:8 For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

The point I want to ask about is Jesus saying that the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath (meaning they continue their work even on that day) and are guiltless.
    Actually Ron I appreciate these questions very much because first off this has a direct reference to what 'law' the Pharisees said Jesus was breaking - which wasn't the ten commandments but the Talmud. It also has direct reference to gleaning.

Deu 24:21 When thou gatherest the grapes of thy vineyard, thou shalt not glean [it] afterward: it shall be for the stranger, for the fatherless, and for the widow.

In other words there was no provision in the law that prevented Jesus from doing what He was doing.

"If it was right for David to satisfy his hunger by eating of the bread that had been set apart to a holy use, then it was right for the disciples to supply their need by plucking the grain upon the sacred hours of the Sabbath. Again, the priests in the temple performed greater labor on the Sabbath than upon other days. The same labor in secular business would be sinful; but the work of the priests was in the service of God. They were performing those rites that pointed to the redeeming power of Christ, and their labor was in harmony with the object of the Sabbath. But now Christ Himself had come. The disciples, in doing the work of Christ, were engaged in God's service, and that which was necessary for the accomplishment of this work it was right to do on the Sabbath day.

Christ would teach His disciples and His enemies that the service of God is first of all. The object of God's work in this world is the redemption of man; therefore that which is necessary to be done on the Sabbath in the accomplishment of this work is in accord with the Sabbath law. Jesus then crowned His argument by declaring Himself the "Lord of the Sabbath,"--One above all question and above all law. This infinite Judge acquits the disciples of blame, appealing to the very statutes they are accused of violating.

Jesus did not let the matter pass without administering a rebuke to His enemies. He declared that in their blindness they had mistaken the object of the Sabbath. He said, "If ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless." Matthew 12:7. Their many heartless rites could not supply the lack of that truthful integrity and tender love which will ever characterize the true worshiper of God.
    -- The Desire of Ages, page 285

In what way would you all say this helps us understand God's intent of the Sabbath, as he gave it? I know there will be different things said, but perhaps it will shed some light on why these different things are said.
    I think God's intent with the sabbath was for each of His children to learn to appreciate the day for what God had intended it to be - celebration and communion with Him.

Thread Information