Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sabbath

The Sabbath

Exodus 20:8-10 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Isaiah 56:4- For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrafices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

We see here that it was commanded Israel to keep the sabbath day holy, but also to the stranger and the eunuch.
    Anyhow, I just wanted to mention something I kind of struggle with, even tonight... "polluting" the sabbath. This I had done right at the start of the sabbath, I am looking for a particular person to help me with this... I got angry tonight and my countenance fell low. The angry feeling was for a short time, but now I am left with disappointment and discomfort. I don't even know why I would post this on here, seeing as I will probably only get feedback I wouldn't like. The site I would of originally posted this on looks like it's off for the night. If you do keep the sabbath let me know what I could do that might prevent me from polluting it... I think it started by me not really planning ahead and waiting til the last moment to do things...it would be idea to not be stressed before it comes...hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy613 View Post
    Exodus 20:8-10 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Isaiah 56:4- For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrafices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

We see here that it was commanded Israel to keep the sabbath day holy, but also to the stranger and the eunuch.
    Anyhow, I just wanted to mention something I kind of struggle with, even tonight... "polluting" the sabbath. This I had done right at the start of the sabbath, I am looking for a particular person to help me with this... I got angry tonight and my countenance fell low. The angry feeling was for a short time, but now I am left with disappointment and discomfort. I don't even know why I would post this on here, seeing as I will probably only get feedback I wouldn't like. The site I would of originally posted this on looks like it's off for the night. If you do keep the sabbath let me know what I could do that might prevent me from polluting it... I think it started by me not really planning ahead and waiting til the last moment to do things...it would be idea to not be stressed before it comes...hmm.
    Hi chrissy613, welcome to the Forum... glad to have you as part of our forum family.

We as Christians are not commanded to keep the Sabbath as a "time" , but rather to keep Christ who is our Sabbath.
    Col. 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
    Jesus came to set men free from the bondage of the law by taking our sins upon Himself....now we are under Grace.

Many blessings

Rose
    Never trust anything you are afraid to question ~

To know oneself is to know the universe...

Live Fully...Love Extravagantly...For the sake of Goodness

Be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Matt.10:16

Come let us reason together...Isa.1:18
    My new Blog site: God and Butterfly

My dear sister,

I understand you wanting to have suggestions that coincide with your belief in keeping that day holy. Even though I do not keep any one day holy above another, I know that for those such as yourself who desire to do so, we are free to do that. So I will suggest something for you that will help immensely in making that day a joy and not a burden.

When I was keeping that day, I chose to focus, not on what I CANNOT do, but rather on what GOD DESIRED for me to do. When the focus becomes, I HAVE TO, or I CANNOT do thus and such, it indeed becomes a burden, and you will end up feeling as you do.

Jesus walked in such joy and freedom. How was that expressed? You will find nothing concerning any details of how he prepared for the sabbath. You find generally one thing. He went about serving the needs of others. He also exposed the religious leaders' burdening traditions that were added to the sabbath.

Make that day a joy, a delight for you. Use it to serve others in whatever ways God has gifted you. Get lost in him and others and you will find no time for feeling anything negative toward yourself. And know that Father will be pleased, but not because of the outward actions you perform, rather because of where those actions originate, from a heart born from above and infused with the life of Christ himself.

Ron

Chrissy,

One person may consider one day above others, another may judge all days to be the same.......it is important that we not judge anyone for their viewpoint on this matter.....what also is important is that we become fully persuaded in our minds for ourselves, not being ordered or commanded by another as to what we should observe unto the Lord (Romans 14:5).

Whatever it may be, do with your whole heart, believing that the Lord is pleased with your service unto Him. Also, observe in faith.....as to your abiding in Him.

Joel
    For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38,39

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    We as Christians are not commanded to keep the Sabbath as a "time" , but rather to keep Christ who is our Sabbath
    I disagree:

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city

[/INDENT]Jesus came to set men free from the bondage of the law by taking our sins upon Himself....now we are under Grace.
    I believe bondage comes from NOT kepping the law(God's commandments)
    So the sin you do today or tomorrow it's ok because The Lord has died onthe cross?
    Anyhow... a struggle with the sabbath I hope will soon not be a problem. I poorly plan before the sabbath causing me to stress.

Originally Posted by Rose
    We as Christians are not commanded to keep the Sabbath as a "time" , but rather to keep Christ who is our Sabbath
    I disagree:

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city

Jesus came to set men free from the bondage of the law by taking our sins upon Himself....now we are under Grace.
    I believe bondage comes from NOT kepping the law(God's commandments)
    So the sin you do today or tomorrow it's ok because The Lord has died onthe cross?
    Anyhow... a struggle with the sabbath I hope will soon not be a problem. I poorly plan before the sabbath causing me to stress.
    Hi Chrissy

All are free to keep the Sabbath, but there is no requirement to do so. If one puts themselves in bondage under the Law and thinks that it somehow will give them salvation then they must keep the whole law, or be guilty of all.
    James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
    The Law was given to the Jews, Gentiles that became believers in Christ were never required to keep the Law, and the believing Jews were freed from it once they came to Christ. That was the message of the Apostle Paul in Galatians, he told them that they were redeemed from the Law, yet they were desiring to put themselves in bondage again to the Law in observing days, and times of years.
    Gal. 4:4-7 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.....9) But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.

In Revelation were it says "blessed are those who do His commandments", is speaking of the commandments that Christ gave to all believers.
    Matt. 22:36-40 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

I sincerely hope your struggle with the Sabbath will be resolved and you will find peace.

Many blessings,

Rose

Order! Christians keep the law as a rule.

Everything that is written in the law is for man's own benefit. The Sabbath was made for man. Of course you can ignore it ;but you do so at your own impoverishment. The Sabbath was instituted for the well-being of the human body. Not for his pleasure or delight. God made man to exist on a seven day cycle.

I find that a weird statement . I have come across it before. How can you make Jesus your one day rest in seven. ? If you tried to apply that to the Sabbath of the land you would soon come unstuck. You would have fungal disease ,club root , tasteless food and all kinds. The soil would be Spent,tired,worn out,sour. When men try to fix a particular day and insist that that particular day is the Sabbath;Then you start having problems. The international date line passes through the baring straits.On one side it is Saturday,on the other it is Sunday. In a pastoral or a nomadic society it is possible to have an agreed day for all to rest at the same time. In our industrialised society ,it is not practical . Mariners can't all stop work on the sabbath;never could. You can't just let the ship drift towards the rocks for a day. So all must bear in mind that working on the seventh day is not a deliberate affront to the living God. Of course we must keep to the law of God wherever and whenever we are able. When we fail we have a remedy. When a slave comes into the house after a day in the fields ; he prepares hs master's meal and serves him . After that he prepares his own food and eats it. His master does not say 'thankyou very much for that' . The slave only did what was expected of him. If we obey the law to the letter ,we haven't done anything special. We have only done what is expected of us. When we obey his law we do God a favour in a roundabout way. We are his creation and he loves us. When we are happy .When we are content. When we are full and prosperous his heart is glad. When his creation is seen to be opressed and hungry and miserable ; his joy is diminished. When we seek to live by his law ,we are following the ideal path which leads to all good things .I cannot for the life of me understand the fierce resistance to the notion of complying with the law of God as passed to mankind through Moses. Now before anyone starts objecting and saying that we are not justified etc. I have never suggested for one minute that we should be. Any man with a grain of intelligence will embrace the divine law with the utmost enthusiasm.It is beautiful,it is perfect . It leads to peace ,Joy,health and satisfaction
    Joy ,peace and happiness to all

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by alec cotton View Post
    Everything that is written in the law is for man's own benefit. The Sabbath was made for man. Of course you can ignore it ;but you do so at your own impoverishment. The Sabbath was instituted for the well-being of the human body. Not for his pleasure or delight. God made man to exist on a seven day cycle.

I find that a weird statement . I have come across it before. How can you make Jesus your one day rest in seven. ? If you tried to apply that to the Sabbath of the land you would soon come unstuck. You would have fungal disease ,club root , tasteless food and all kinds. The soil would be Spent,tired,worn out,sour. When men try to fix a particular day and insist that that particular day is the Sabbath;Then you start having problems. The international date line passes through the baring straits.On one side it is Saturday,on the other it is Sunday. In a pastoral or a nomadic society it is possible to have an agreed day for all to rest at the same time. In our industrialised society ,it is not practical . Mariners can't all stop work on the sabbath;never could. You can't just let the ship drift towards the rocks for a day. So all must bear in mind that working on the seventh day is not a deliberate affront to the living God. Of course we must keep to the law of God wherever and whenever we are able. When we fail we have a remedy. When a slave comes into the house after a day in the fields ; he prepares hs master's meal and serves him . After that he prepares his own food and eats it. His master does not say 'thankyou very much for that' . The slave only did what was expected of him. If we obey the law to the letter ,we haven't done anything special. We have only done what is expected of us. When we obey his law we do God a favour in a roundabout way. We are his creation and he loves us. When we are happy .When we are content. When we are full and prosperous his heart is glad. When his creation is seen to be opressed and hungry and miserable ; his joy is diminished. When we seek to live by his law ,we are following the ideal path which leads to all good things .I cannot for the life of me understand the fierce resistance to the notion of complying with the law of God as passed to mankind through Moses. Now before anyone starts objecting and saying that we are not justified etc. I have never suggested for one minute that we should be. Any man with a grain of intelligence will embrace the divine law with the utmost enthusiasm.It is beautiful,it is perfect . It leads to peace ,Joy,health and satisfaction
    Joy ,peace and happiness to all

Alec
    Hi Alec,

Christ being our Sabbath is not "weird" if you understand what is meant by that statement.

When one enters into Christ, we enter into His rest. It is then we cease from our own struggles and labors and let Christ carry our burdens. So instead of one day a week, we have every day!
    Heb. 4:8-11 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
    May you find the Sabbath rest of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rose

Hi Alec,

Christ being our Sabbath is not "weird" if you understand what is meant by that statement.

When one enters into Christ, we enter into His rest. It is then we cease from our own struggles and labors and let Christ carry our burdens. So instead of one day a week, we have every day!
    Heb. 4:8-11 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
    May you find the Sabbath rest of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rose
    Israel didn't enter that "rest" because of disobedience - which was evident in their lack of faith. That means had they been obedient they would have entered into the promised land. Same holds true today. Those that are obedient to the Lord with respect to the amount of light they have received will enter into that promised land.

We should be willing to admit that the word rest in verse 9 refers specifically to keeping a sabbath day. "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God." That word is sabbtismos which specifically means to keep a sabbath day.

sabbatismos = from a derivative of sabbaton - sabbaton 4521; a "sabbatism", i.e. (figuratively) the repose of Christianity (as a type of heaven):--rest.

It must be noted that the sabbath has always been an issue in the Bible. It was a huge issue in Egypt and was the cause for the Exodus and it will become an issue in these later days.
    Last edited by RND; 10-30-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Wrest not with the rest : let the rest rest

It must be noted that the sabbath has always been an issue in the Bible. It was a huge issue in Egypt and was the cause for the Exodus and it will become an issue in these later days

Excuse me, RND .Please tell me : so I can see : Where did you get that idea from?.

If you were forced or obliged to work seven days a week for years ,then you would readily appreciate the Sabbath. In this present situation which we live in ,where a five day week is the norm, a day of rest is despised. In times past when most people were forced to work ten hours a day,six days a week, they looked forward to Sunday when they could have a lie in. It was a day of pleasure , a day of leisure ,a day to enjoy. I can just hear the master saying to his children : 'I have offered you a very special gift. Why are you arguing amongst yourselves as to whether or not to accept it ?. '
    Peace to one and all.

Alec

Thread Information