Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Wheel and table in a map from 1582

Hi,
    I collect maps of the Holy Land. and live in Israel.
    Recently I saw a map of Michael Eitzinger (Eitzinger was a cartographer and historian in the service of the Emperors Ferdinand II and Maximilian II at the end of sixteen century). You can see the map in the Hebrew University collection
    http://www.jnul.huji.ac.il/dl/maps/p...20Promissionis
    There are two items in the map that I do not understand:
    First –
    a wheel with letters numbers and figures, I can recognize only the sentence " prudentes sicut serpentes et simplices sicut columbae" from Mat 10 16;
    What are the letters and numbers mean ?
    Second –
    At the left, there is a table, like a magic square. The title is Hureb ( the mountain) and Sinai (the desert) at the lower part of the table.
    If you'll add the columns the result is 101 except the first and lat columns that the sum is 104.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Amir Cahanovitc

Quote Originally Posted by amir_ca View Post
    Hi,
    Recently I saw a map of Michael Eitzinger (Eitzinger was a cartographer and historian in the service of the Emperors Ferdinand II and Maximilian II at the end of sixteen century). You can see the map in the Hebrew University collection
    http://www.jnul.huji.ac.il/dl/maps/p...20Promissionis
    There are two items in the map that I do not understand:
    First –
    a wheel with letters numbers and figures, I can recognize only the sentence " prudentes sicut serpentes et simplices sicut columbae" from Mat 10 16;
    What are the letters and numbers mean ?
    Second –
    At the left, there is a table, like a magic square. The title is Hureb ( the mountain) and Sinai (the desert) at the lower part of the table.
    If you'll add the columns the result is 101 except the first and lat columns that the sum is 104.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Amir Cahanovitc
    Hi Amir,

Welcome to our forum!

That map is fascinating! Thanks for the link. I will very much enjoy examining it more closely. I'll post something as time permits.

All the best,

Richard
    • Skepticism is the antiseptic of the mind.
    • Remember why we debate. We have nothing to lose but the errors we hold. Who but a stubborn fool would hold to errors once they have been exposed?

Check out my blog site

Quote Originally Posted by amir_ca View Post
    Hi,

At the left, there is a table, like a magic square.
    Any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Amir Cahanovitc
    the magic square you refer to has a golden rectangle within a much larger 9x9 magic square (moon).
    Do you see it?

8 x 5
    Fibonacci numbers 8/5 = 1.6 = phi ratio

note the two 'S'...one in the east and one in the west?

that should keep you busy?

And why do you say the map is from 1582 when clearly at the bottom right it says 1581?

namaste
    Last edited by Raphael; 03-15-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Thread Information