Google Ads

Google Ads

Bible Wheel Book

Google Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SHECHEM

I didn't have my lexicon with me the other day when I was posting concerning the COM roots. The Gesenius Lexicon comment on these roots is found under the Hebrew root ayine-mem-mem (Strong's #6004).

Richard, what is the easiest way to post words in Hebrew font? I don't see one in the fonts above.

First of many side tracks regarding SHECHEM on the subject of the FIRSTBORN:

Christ is called the FIRSTBORN of many brethren, and thus we are called the CHURCH of the FIRSTBORN.

Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn....

The FIRSTBORN (also called the BIRTHRIGHT) rights include:
    1. the family NAME/a DOUBLE portion of property/spirit/Prophet** (SPIRITUAL)
    2. the rulership/kingship (GOVERNMENTAL)
    3. the priesthood of the family (the PHYSICAL SERVICE of Religious observance)

A case can be made for the double portion being both material and spiritual based on the incident with Elisha asking for the double portion:

2Ki 2:9 And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.

JOHN GILL:and Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me; the two parts of the gifts of the spirit he had, that of prophecy, and that of doing miracles, as some think; or two parts out of three of what Elijah was possessed of; or rather double as much, and which he might desire, not from a spirit of vanity and ambition to be greater than his master, but from an eagerness to promote the glory of God, and the interest of religion, to reclaim the Israelites from their idolatry, and establish the true religion, which he might observe Elijah was not able to do with that measure of grace and gifts he had; or however this phrase denotes an abundance, a large portion or measure, as it everywhere does. Many, after Ben Gersom, have thought it refers to the double portion of the firstborn, and that Elisha does not mean a double portion with respect to Elijah, but with respect to the junior prophets, with whom he might be considered as a firstborn, and so desired a double or greater portion than they, and which may be most correct {m}; and when he asked this, he did not suppose it was in Elijah’s power to give him it, only that he would pray to God, at parting with him, that he would bestow it on him.

Jacob (Israel), had the right as a father, to give these rights to OTHER than the actual firstborn son if he saw fit to do so......and he did just that.

First he took his two grandsons, Ephraim and Menasseh, and adopted them as sons:

Gen 48:5 "Now then, your two sons born to you in Egypt before I came to you here will be reckoned as mine; Ephraim and Manasseh will be mine, just as Reuben and Simeon are mine.

He completely skipped over his first TWO sons, Rueben and Simeon, and gave only the priesthood to Levi for the following reasons:

1Ch 5:1 Now the sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel, (for he was the firstborn; but, forasmuch as he defiled his father’s bed, his birthright was given unto the sons of Joseph the son of Israel:

Gen 49:5-7 Simeon and Levi are brethren; instruments of cruelty are in their habitations. . for in their anger they slew a man, and in their selfwill they digged down a wall. {digged…: or, houghed oxen}....... Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce; and their wrath, for it was cruel: I will divide them in Jacob[B], and scatter them in Israel.

He then split up the rights of the firstborn and gave the rulership to JUDAH, the preisthood to Levi, and the family name (Israel) and the double portion to Ephraim:

I Chron 5:1-2...the genealogy is not to be reckoned after the birthright. For Judah prevailed above his brethren, and of him came the chief ruler; but the birthright was Joseph’s (Ephraim)

Ge 49:10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Nu 8:18 And I have taken the Levites for all the firstborn of the children of Israel.

Jer 31:9 ..for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.

Notice that the NAME of Jacob(ISRAEL) and the DOUBLE PORTION goes with Ephraim, the one given the SPIRITUAL aspect of the BIRHTRIGHT:

Genesis 48:14-22 And Israel stretched out his right hand, and laid it upon Ephraim’s head, who was the younger, and his left hand upon Manasseh’s head, guiding his hands wittingly; for Manasseh was the firstborn. And he blessed Joseph, and said, God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day, The Angel which redeemed me from all evil, bless the lads; and let my NAME be named on them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth. {grow: Heb. as fishes do increase} And when Joseph saw that his father laid his right hand upon the head of Ephraim, it displeased him: and he held up his father’s hand, to remove it from Ephraim’s head unto Manasseh’s head. {displeased…: was evil in his eyes} And Joseph said unto his father, Not so, my father: for this is the firstborn; put thy right hand upon his head. And his father refused, and said, I know it, my son, I know it: he also shall become a people, and he also shall be great: but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a multitude of nations. {multitude: Heb. fulness of gentiles} And he blessed them that day, saying, In thee shall Israel bless, saying, God make thee as Ephraim and as Manasseh: and he set Ephraim before Manasseh. And Israel said unto Joseph, Behold, I die: but God shall be with you, and bring you again unto the land of your fathers. Moreover I have given to thee one portion (Shechem Achad) above thy brethren, which I took out of the hand of the Amorite with my sword and with my bow.

What is translated here as "one portion" is in the Hebrew SHECHEM ACHAD. Most commentators I have read agree that the city of Shechem is meant, but none have an opinion as to the significance of the "achad" (one or unity). This is the same word used in the sh'ma "the Lord our God is ONE", and has the idea of unity, not just oneness.

**The SPIRITUAL oversee of the BIRTHRIGHT is manifest in the fact that the tabernacle was placed in the territory of EPHRAIM (Shiloh) for the first 400 years. Also a school of the prophets was most probably in Ephraim:

2Ki 5:22 And he said, All is well. My master hath sent me, saying, Behold, even now there be come to me from mount Ephraim two young men of the sons of the prophets: give them, I pray thee, a talent of silver, and two changes of garments.

So why did God arrange to have the SPIRITUAL portion of the BIRTHRIGHT given to Ephraim when he knew the 10 Northern tribes would rebel and be scattered and mixed with the Gentiles?

An answer might be found in this verse...

Jer 31:6 For there shall be a day, that the watchmen upon the mount Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the LORD our God.

JOHN CALVIN: The Prophet here amplifies the kindness of God, because he would not only restore the tribe of Judah, but also the ten tribes, who had previously been led into exile. He then promises here a full and complete restoration of the Church. The Prophets do not always speak in the same manner of the liberation of the people; sometimes they confine what they say to the tribe of Judah, as though the rest were in a hopeless state, but often they extend their prophecies to the whole body of the people. So in this place Jeremiah includes, together with the tribe of Judah, the ten tribes, and the half tribe of Benjamin, for some of the tribe of Benjamin had remained and had never revolted from the family of David. But they usually call the kingdom of Israel the ten tribes, and denote the kingdom of Judah by the name of that one tribe: thus the tribe of Benjamin, divided into two parts, is not mentioned.
    The meaning, then, of the Prophet is, that when God redeemed his people, not only Judah would return, but also the Israelites, of whom there was hardly a hope, because they had been in exile for a long time; and as they had rejected the pure and legitimate worship of God, they might have been thought to have been excluded from the Church, for by their own perfidy they had shut out themselves, so that they were unworthy of so honorable a distinction. So the Prophet here declares that God’s favor would surpass the wickedness and perverseness of the people of Israel.
    Hence he says that the day would come in which watch-men would cry on the mountain of Ephraim, etc. By Ephraim, as it is well known, are often to be understood the ten tribes, and that on account of Jeroboam, who first reigned over them. But we ought ever to remember, that under one tribe, in this case, are included all the ten tribes. When, therefore, the Prophet speaks of watchmen on Mount Ephraim, he means all the watchmen, placed on their watchtowers, through the whole kingdom of Israel....

The role of prophet includes miracles, foretelling the future, and proclaiming judgment, but most of all the duty of the prophet is to proclaim God's word. Maybe God's plan to eventually bring the Gospel to the world via the Gentiles (wherein Ephraim/10 tribes had been scattered and mixed), he sent out there into the world with them the SPIRITUAL/PROPHETIC portion of the birthright (SHECHEM ACHAD) so that in a very "legal" way they were equipped to be the guardians and prophets of the good news.??????????

Another thought has occured to me reguarding why God split up the birthright into the three parts (prophet, priest, king) as he did. Christ was legal heir to the thrown being of the tribe of Judah and the correct lineage of David. Hebrews chapter 7 goes to great length to explain the legal means by which God makes Christ the high priest, for he was not a Levite. In the case of Prophets, they did not have to be of any certain tribe. I'm not at all sure about how exactly you might describe the association with Ephraim other than that the school for prophets may have located there, and the tabernacle was located within that tribe initially. There were also marriage restrictions on the levites and of course the "genealogy" (I Chron 5:1-2) of kings (and messiah) was to be reckoned by the tribe of Judah, so keeping that genealogy pure was essential. The line of prophets had no such restrictions. They were called by God from any tribe, any line of work, etc. Yet somehow there is an association with Ephraim and the double portion/& name Israel. So when Ephraim mixed with the Gentiles this did not necessarily revoke the prophetic association with the birthright. ??????

I also find it an interesting pattern in scripture that when a particular group of people is banned or cursed, their being brought back in is always (as far as I can find) through a woman:

Canaanites-Tamar, Rahab, Bathsheba?
    Moabites-Ruth

The Hebrew tradition also says Noah's wife was from the line of Cain.

The church is considered feminine in scripture and would it not follow the same pattern that Ephraim(10 tribes) being already mixed with the Gentile church, came back to God through their marriage to Christ and with it bring the whole of the birthright together again in Christ??????????????????......SHECHEM ACHAD.....ONENESS, ONE CONSENT, ONE ACCORD, the wall of partition broken down, etc.?????????????????????

Lots of thoughts here....none of it clear or orgainized in my mind, but God says the dividing of the Kingdom was of him, so it must play a part.......

2Ch 11:4 Thus saith the LORD, Ye shall not go up, nor fight against your brethren: return every man to his house: for this thing is done of me. And they obeyed the words of the LORD, and returned from going against Jeroboam.
    Last edited by yinonyavo; 07-13-2007 at 09:19 AM.

Hi Yinon Yavo,
    This looks like a very interesting topic
    I’ve never thought about Gen 48:22 before, so I thought first I would look at it from what the plain text says.

I think the reason why Shechem was named such, (besides it location between the two mountains) is because there God first give to Abraham the promise 'to your descendants I will give this land' Gen 12:7.In other words God gave Abraham, in Shechem a portion above anyone else. That portion entailed 'a burden to be carried', so I think the city was named because of what would happen there. Also it is important to note that Gen 12:6 is the first time Shechem is mentioned in the Bible.

So Abraham is given the first divine promise, Gen 12:7 'To your descendants I will give this land' and Gen 17:4 'As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, and you shall be a father of many nations.' which is a burden to be carried above anyone else….at a place called Shechem,(meaning portion, or shoulder).

When I now read Gen 48:22, I interpret it as; Israel (Jacob, from which the tribes of the Jews came) saying to Joseph (who saved his people from famine by leading them into a gentile nation) that he is giving him an extra portion, which was taken from the hand of the Amorites, a gentile nation.

So why the Amorites?
    In Gen 15:16 is a very interesting verse concerning the 'iniquity' of the Amorites. It says 'But in the fourth generation they shall return here, for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet complete.'.

What I’m gathering from the context of Gen 15 is that God is showing Abram in a vision that he will have a child and that his descendants will go into captivity 400 years in a strange land (and of course Joseph is the reason the Israelites were in Egypt) and come out with great possessions, and then it goes on to say that it will be four generations before they would return because of the iniquity of the Amorites was not yet complete.

So could the extra portion that Joseph is receiving, taken from the hand of the Amorites be a continued representation of the extra portion 'shechem' that Abraham received at Shechem, being the 'burden he would carry' because he was to be the 'father of many gentile nations', and that portion is being passed down to Joseph. It also seems that maybe because Joseph was the son of Rebecca, Jacobs wife of choice and most beloved, that Jacob favored him as he did his brother Benjamin.

I don’t have all the pieces in place yet, but I thought I would go ahead and put this part out. Hope it makes some sense.

Rose

Seoul, Korea (originally from Auckland, New Zealand)

Jews

Hi Rose!

Just going to be nit-picky, so please don't overpersonalise. You write "Jacob, from which the tribes of the Jews came". This is a fundamental error, and one in which I have been spending some time in clearing up. There is no such thing as "tribes of the Jews". The Jews are only one tribe, Judah, along with an admixture of Benjamin and a very small portion of Levi. Jacob was the father of 12 sons, who later became 12 tribes. They were not all tribes of Jews. This fundamental error in thinking is what clouds most Christian's understanding of the OT.

The tribes of Israel that are not and were never Jews are Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, and part of Benjamin. The Jews are less than 10 per cent of all Israel!

Sorry for being nit-picky, but without a clear understanding of what the term Jews means in a biblical context, there is little hope of correctly understanding the OT.

Your brother in the Lord,
    Stephen

Rose, thanks for all your thoughts. That is what I was hoping....that everyone would throw ideas and verses into the pot and we could all meditate upon bringing all to more clarity.....

I've been looking at and thinking about the breastplate angle all weekend. I looked at Vernon's study on the breastplate again.

Richard, what is your opinion on John Tng's page on this? http://www.fivedoves.com/tng/gospelinstone.htm

I did try to find more on the order of the names, and the sources I looked at conclude that it is inconclusive. I am just looking at the "Shechem" positioning and trying to consider that aspect for now.

Think I'll list a quick SUMMARY here of what all have devised so far:

SHECHEM was a place of:

1. Covenant (Abraham, renewed with Joshua)
    2. Refuge/blood covering (refuge city, covering, concealed)
    3. Resting place (Burial of Joseph and others?)
    4. Gospel/water of life (Jacob's well, woman at the well)
    5. Carrier of burdens/sins (Dinah's rape, Joseph's being sold into slavery, the dividing of the Kingdom)
    6. Inheritence (the children of Israel went out from Shechem to their inheritence)
    7. Worship (Abraham, Jacob both built altars of worship here)

Historical Biblical events at Shechem:

*Shechem (between Sychar and Jacob’s well) was a place of altars and "historical markers". . .
    *At Shechem, Abram "built an altar to the Lord who had appeared to him . . . and had given that land to his descendants" (Gen 12:6-7). This was the first recorded place where Abram stopped when he and Sarah and Lot and their entourage entered the land. On this occasion, God confirmed to Abram the promise He had first made to him in Ur of the Chaldees, that He would give him this land. It is possible that Abram climbed nearby Mount Ebal to view his inheritance, much of which could be seen from that peak.
    *At Shechem, Jacob built an altar and called it "El-Elohe-Israel" when he returned from Padan-Aram with his eleven sons whose descendants would possess that land (Gen 33:19-20). Jacob and his family had traveled down the Jabbok Valley to the Jordan, camped at Succoth and then ascended through the Wadi Fari’a and the Wadi Beidan to Shechem (Gen 33:17-20). It is likely that, in doing this, he had retraced the route he had taken alone to Padan-Aram, twenty years before. While camped at Shechem, his family was involved in many contacts with the local people. Shechem, the son of the ruler, Hamor, raped Jacob’s daughter Dinah. Her brothers, Levi and Simeon, avenged this crime by killing all the males of the city, including Shechem and his father. During this period, Jacob dug a well, augmenting the local water resource to supply the large herds of livestock he had brought back from Padan-Aram. This well was widely known in that region two thousand years later (John 4:12). Jacob also purchased land for his favorite son, Joseph, who at that time was the only son of his favorite wife Rachel (Gen 3:19; 48:21,22; Josh 24:32).
    *Several years later, when Joseph was seventeen years old, Jacob sent him from Hebron to Shechem to "see about the welfare of your brothers" (Gen 37:12-14). When he arrived at Shechem, he found that his brothers had moved on twenty miles farther to the Plain of Dothan where there was very good pasturage (Gen 37:15-17). This sequence of events is important for two reasons. It confirms the affinity Jacob’s family had with the Shechem area, the first place they had settled when they came to the land for the first time (Cf. Abraham). It also records the sovereign supervision of God over the process by which He would bring Joseph to Egypt. It was there that He would multiply Jacob’s descendants in fulfilment of His covenant with Abraham, preparing them to become the nation that would later possess the land.
    *At nearby Mount Ebal, Joshua built an altar of uncut stones. He also wrote a copy of the law on a pillar of stones. From Mount Ebal, half of the tribes shouted the penalties if they disobeyed the law and from Mount Gerizim, the other half shouted the blessings if they obeyed (Josh 8:30-35).
    *At Shechem, Joshua set up a large stone to remind Israel of their commitment to worship God alone. "Behold, this stone shall be for a witness against us, for it has heard all the words of the Lord which He spoke to us; thus it shall be for a witness against you, lest you deny your God" (Josh 24:1, 25-27).

Shechem was a place of witness. It was a place of "stones and bones," memorializing twenty centuries of God’s faithfulness. Joseph’s last memories of the land were of Shechem and Dothan. Throughout his years far from his homeland, Joseph believed that God would fulfil His promise to give the land to his people. He expressed this confidence in his last words, ". . . you shall carry my bones up from here" (Gen 50:25). When Moses led the descendants of Jacob out of Egypt, he was careful to bring with him Joseph’s bones (Exod 13:19). Forty years later, when Joshua led the tribe of Manasseh to Shechem, they brought with them the bones of Joseph, the father of their tribe (Josh 24:32).

Shechem was a place of spiritual warfare.*Here the kingdom was divided. Jeroboam called out "To your tents, O Israel" and separated the northern tribes from Judah (1 Kgs 12:1,16). To prevent his people from going up to Jerusalem to worship, Jeroboam set up a golden bull image at Bethel, near Shechem where their ancestors had made a covenant to worship God alone (1 Kgs 12:25-33).
    *Here Samaritans lived. When the Assyrians deported most of the citizens of the Northern Kingdom in the seventh century B.C., they repopulated the Northern Kingdom with people who did not know the God of Abraham (2 Kgs 17:24-41). Over the years, this mixed people developed a Pentateuch-based religion, with worship centered at Mount Gerizim (John 4:20).
    *The existence of Samaritans and their presence in the midst of the land near Shechem, the place where God had confirmed His promise of the land to Abraham when he first entered it, constituted a constant reminder of Israel’s apostasy and its resulting exile from the land.
    Last edited by yinonyavo; 07-16-2007 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yinonyavo View Post
    Rose, thanks for all your thoughts. That is what I was hoping....that everyone would throw ideas and verses into the pot and we could all meditate upon bringing all to more clarity.....

I've been looking at and thinking about the breastplate angle all weekend. I looked at Vernon's study on the breastplate again.

Richard, what is your opinion on John Tng's page on this? http://www.fivedoves.com/tng/gospelinstone.htm

I did try to find more on the order of the names, and the sources I looked at conclude that it is inconclusive. I am just looking at the "Shechem" positioning and trying to consider that aspect for now.
    Hi Yinonyavo!

I think that article is definitely worthy of study. The appearance of numbers relating to the names Jesus, Christ, and the title Alpha Omega seems striking. But as you note, the many variations in the order (and number) of the names makes the results less than conclusive.

I really do hope to get in on this conversation soon. I'm just about done with the my update to the Gematria database which will enable a search by number for every occurrence of every word that sums to a specific number.

Talk more soon!

Richard

SOME QUESTIONS?????

1. Is there a distinction between the symbolism of Shechem and the mounts on each side? (which would include the symbolic difference between the names of the tribes on the shoulder stones and the breastplate, the heaps of water and the dry land, etc.)
    ...or even between the two mounts ...#De 11:30 Ge 12:6 as the plains of Moreh here denote Shechem, so there: Benjamin of Tudela says {x} there is a valley between them, in which lies Shechem; and in his time there were on Mount Gerizim fountains and orchards, but Mount Ebal was dry like stones and rocks.

2. Is there a prophetic significance to the person of Dinah, the only female offspring of Jacob? If so, what symbolism would the rape at Shechem be, and how would that fit into the overall type of Dinah?

3. All three tragic events that happened at or near Shechem effected Joseph or his descendants. 1. Joseph sold by his brothers near Shechem endearing him even more to his father Jacob 2. Dinah's rape caused Jacob to look unfavorably upon the eldest sons, possibly playing a part in his decision to bypass them for the birthright which was later given to the sons of Joseph 3. The division of the kingdom which divided the sons of Joseph and the other 8 tribes from Judah. You might say the three events together resulted in the divided kingdom. Is this significant to the overall symbolic meaning of Shechem?

4. Could any case be made for Shechem being the scene of the Valley of dry bones of Ez 37? Especially if traditions are correct that all 12 patriarchs of the tribes were buried there.......??
    Last edited by yinonyavo; 07-16-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: add comment & question

Richard, the reason I ask about John's study is that it seems to fit in with one of the major themes of Shechem....the place of the division of Ephraim and Judah. The other "Shechem Achad" verse deals with the repairing of that breach.
    Zep 3: 9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent (with one shoulder).10 From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia my suppliants, even the daughter of my dispersed, shall bring mine offering.

If the breastplate paints the same symbolic picture as Shechem (the covering between the heaps and the repairer of the breach) then this all fits very well.

Can't wait for your gematria data base.!!!++!!!:>)
    Last edited by yinonyavo; 07-16-2007 at 07:29 AM.

CHRONOLOGICAL TIME LINE OF SHECHEM:

2023-1737 BCE
    Abraham reaches Elon Moreh-Shechem and receives the promise, 'To your descendants will I give this land.'
    2196-1564 BCE
    Jacob returns from Lavan's house and buys the parcel of land in Shechem. Later that year Dinah is raped by Shechem and Shimon and Levy conquer the city.

2212-1548 BCE
    Outside Shechem Joseph is sold into slavery by his brothers.

2488- 1272 BCE
    The Children of Israel enter the Land of Israel. They perform the ceremony of the Blessings and Curses, bury Yosef's remains, and build the altar on Mt. Eval.

2523-1237 BCE
    Joshuah gathers the nation in Shechem to make a covenent to follow Gd's commandments even after he is gone.

2723-1037 BCE
    Being chased by his brother Avimelech, Yotam recites his Parable of the Trees from Mt. Grizzim.

2964-796 BCE
    Rehavam is crowned king in Shechem completing the split between the Northern and Southern Kingdoms.

3202-558 BCE
    Sancherib exiles the Ten Tribes and brings tribes from Kutah (Samarians of today), Ava, Hamat, and Sepharvaim to Shechem.

3338-422 BCE
    The First Temple is destroyed.

3408-352 BCE
    The Second Temple is built.

3828-68 CE
    The Second Temple is destroyed.

3830-70 CE
    In order to try to hide the Jewish importance of Shechem the Romans rename the city Neapolis, the New City. Years afterwards the Arabs call the city 'Nablus.'

5030-1270 CE
    Desciples of the Ramban pray at the site of Joseph's Tomb.

5599-1839 CE
    Sir Moses Montifiore and wife visit Joseph's Tomb.

5627-1867
    Mark Twain visits Shechem and writes about it in the diary he published later.

5677-1917 CE
    The Balfour Declaration declares the right of the Jewish People to Eretz Yisroel.

5682-1922 CE
    The League of Nations decides to establish the Jewish Homeland.

5686-1926 CE
    The last Jewish families are chased out of Shechem by Arab pogroms.

5687-1927 CE
    A massive earthquake destroys most of Shechem, included the Jewish Quarter.

5694-1934 CE
    Archeologist John Write finds the gates to the old city 50 yards from Joseph's Tomb.

5698-1938 CE
    The British Partition Plan cuts away Samaria from the new plans for a Jewish Homeland.

5708-1948 CE
    The State of Israel is established with cease-fire lines leaving out Judeah and Samaria.

5727-1967 CE
    The conquest of Shechem is one of the miracles of the Six-Day War.

5736-1976 CE
    Elon Moreh is established near the Army camp at Kadum, 6 km west of Shechem.

Tu Be'Shvat 5740-1980 CE
    The new Elon Moreh is established on Mt. Kabir northeast of Shechem.

5741-1981 CE
    Archeologist Adam Zartal discovers Joshuah's Altar on Mt. Ebal

5742-1982 CE
    The 'Od Yosef Chai' Yeshivah is founded next to Joseph's Tomb.

5744-1984 CE
    Har Beracha, Yitzhar, and Itamar are established around the city of Shechem.

Kislev, 5756-1996 CE
    Shechem is given over to the PLO, leaving Joseph's Tomb and the 'Od Yosef Chai' Yeshivah in Israeli hands.

Shabbat Shuvah, 5760-2000 CE
    The Army abandons Joseph's Tomb. The building is burned.

Motzei Shabbat Shuvah, 5763-2003 CE
    The first group of Jews is allowed to visit the site.

Shechem is also called in scripture Elon Moreh, the plain of Moreh (which means teacher). Here is a picture of Shechem and mount Ebal & Gerizim (click on image to inlarge):

Name:  shechempic.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  66.2 KB

Thread Information