PDA

View Full Version : Joshua

gilgal
01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Victor opened my eyes on the book of Joshua.

6 is said to be the number of man. On the 6th day man was created and named Adam. The 6th book is the first book named after the name of a man, Joshua. Joshua means salvation and a derivative of the name Hosea and Jesus or Yeshua.

When you look at any book or chapter numbered 6 don't be surprised to see either the name Joshua, and salvation.

Romans 6, 1 Samuel 6. If you have any more insights on the subject of Joshua please post them. I decided to study the book of Joshua this coming weeks.

Here's a resume of the chapters I've read so far:
1: The succession of leadership is passed on to Joshua after Moses' death.

2: Two spies sent to Jericho. The encouragement was that the people of Jericho were frightened to hear what Israel did to the kings on the other side of Jordan because God was with them.

3: Instruction was given to the priests and how Israel is going to cross the Jordan.

4: Israel crosses Jordan.

5: Joshua meets the Angel of the Lord.

6: The fall of Jericho.

7: The sin of Achan (meaning trouble) the humiliating loss against Ai and his execution at the valley of Achor (named after Achan).

8: Victory against Ai.

9: The lie of the Gibeonites and Israel's alliance with them.

10: Adonizedek and his allied kings invade Gibeon after hearing about Gibeon's alliance with Israel. Israel defends Gibeon.

Victor
01-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey gilgal,

The doctrine of "Salvation" is a very broad one, so we can find links based on salvation on different Spokes. But it is very striking that God linked the concept of Salvation/Joshua so strongly to Spoke 6. We verify that in the great Psalm 119 for example. The word salvation only debuts on the stanza of the Sixth Letter Vav!

Psa 119:41 VAU. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.
The Vav section opens with a direct reference to God's Salvation (the meaning of Joshua's name!). And the word salvation appears a total of six times in this grand Psalm!

Victor
01-09-2009, 05:44 AM
What link do you see between Romans 6 and the theme of Salvation?

gilgal
01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
What link do you see between Romans 6 and the theme of Salvation?

I looked at Romans 6 and found no link on resurrection. I should've checked before I wrote about it. Sorry about that!

But Romans 6 seems linked to Philippians.

Looking for:
salvation,,save + jesus + bur + resurrect,,death,,dead + righteous
Romans 6
1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
20 For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness.
21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Looking for:
salvation,,save + jesus + bur + resurrect,,death,,dead + righteous
Philippians 3
1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.
2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.
3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Victor
01-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I looked at Romans 6 and found no link on resurrection. I should've checked before I wrote about it. Sorry about that!
I guess you mean you found no link on salvation. In fact it seems that there's nothing in Romans 6 that distinguishes it from the other chapters concerning the theme of salvation.

But Romans 6 seems linked to Philippians. [quote=gilgal;10609]

Richard wrote about it: http://www.biblewheel.com/InnerWheels/Romans/Rom06.asp

gilgal
01-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I guess you mean you found no link on salvation. In fact it seems that there's nothing in Romans 6 that distinguishes it from the other chapters concerning the theme of salvation.

Yes. Salvation. That's right.

gilgal
01-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Was there any Jubilee celebration mentioned in the book of Joshua? Because that would mark the 50th year of Israel's existence as a nation. Jubilee I believe means rejoicing. Philippians being the 50th book has a lot of joy, rejoice, mentioned.

Wasn't the jubilee about restoration of properties and belongings?

Another comment is on the subject of Jericho.

The name “Jericho (http://www.christnotes.org/dictionary.php?dict=hbn&id=1353)” means his moon; his month; his sweet smell

It is spelled yod resh yod chet vav. The word moon is yod resh chet. I'm curious why they named the city Jericho. The worship of the moon-god? But the scriptures doesn't say it.

Victor
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Psalms 25 and 34 form an acrostic dyptic. They are very similar in form and content. For example, both append a extra Pey clause in the end. And both omit the Vav clause.

The interesting thing is that the theme of salvation in these Psalms debuts in the Hey and Zayin clauses respectively!

Psa 25:5 Hey Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Psa 34:6 Zayin This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
In the Hebrew Alphabet, Hey and Zayin are centered around Vav. Though there's no Vav section in these Psalms, they first exhibit the theme of salvation on Vav's neighbouring letters! One Psalm balances the other on this theme of salvation.

So the pattern of Salvation debuting on Vav here follows the pattern of Psalm 119! And in all of them they speak of the salvation of God, the meaning of the name Joshua!

gilgal
01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Psalms 25 and 34 form an acrostic dyptic. They are very similar in form and content. For example, both append a extra Pey clause in the end. And both omit the Vav clause.

The interesting thing is that the theme of salvation in these Psalms debuts in the Hey and Zayin clauses respectively!

Psa 25:5 Hey Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.

Psa 34:6 Zayin This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
In the Hebrew Alphabet, Hey and Zayin are centered around Vav. Though there's no Vav section in these Psalms, they first exhibit the theme of salvation on Vav's neighbouring letters! One Psalm balances the other on this theme of salvation.

So the pattern of Salvation debuting on Vav here follows the pattern of Psalm 119! And in all of them they speak of the salvation of God, the meaning of the name Joshua!

I was looking all over the place in the epistles, anything associated with the #6.

Galatians 6:17
From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.
mark in Greek is stigmata. Correct me if I'm wrong stigmata comes from the name stigma also the 6th letter of the Greek alphabet which was added later in time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_numerals). Right?

Victor
01-10-2009, 04:39 AM
I was looking all over the place in the epistles, anything associated with the #6.

Galatians 6:17
From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.
mark in Greek is stigmata. Correct me if I'm wrong stigmata comes from the name stigma also the 6th letter of the Greek alphabet which was added later in time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_numerals). Right?

What a wild finding! The only appearance of stigmata in the Bible is in a Chapter 6! Stigma = 6!

But it is better yet. Galatians is on Spoke 4, and one of the symbolic meaning associated with the Number 4 is the concept of "mark" (http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Dalet_Mark.asp).

The patttern extends to the verse number as well. 6 and 17 are on the Sixth Diameter of the Bible Wheel, where we find the letters Vav and Pey on the outer rim. And they correspond on the Canon Wheel to the arms of the Cross, wherein the hands of our Lord were traspassed. His body bore the stigma of the Cross and, like Paul, each Christian bears the mark of suffering for Christ in their bodies.

Rose
01-10-2009, 10:51 AM
What a wild finding! The only appearance of stigmata in the Bible is in a Chapter 6! Stigma = 6!

But it is better yet. Galatians is on Spoke 4, and one of the symbolic meaning associated with the Number 4 is the concept of "mark" (http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Dalet_Mark.asp).

The patttern extends to the verse number as well. 6 and 17 are on the Sixth Diameter of the Bible Wheel, where we find the letters Vav and Pey on the outer rim. And they correspond on the Canon Wheel to the arms of the Cross, wherein the hands of our Lord were traspassed. His body bore the stigma of the Cross and, like Paul, each Christian bears the mark of suffering for Christ in their bodies.

Wow! :woohoo:

The connections never end.......:bounce:

God Bless,

Rose

Victor
01-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Amazing, isn't it?

Here is a picture to help viewing the wonder. The letters Vav and Pey (letters 6 and 17) are found on the horizontal extremes of the Wheel.

The Stigmata
Galatians 6:17 (Vav, Pey)

http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Vav_Nail.gif Vav, the 6thLetter

On the Wheel:

http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Spoke06_HL.gif

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/p_R48.gif Pey, the 17th Letter

On the Wheel:

http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Spoke17_HL.gif

The inscribed cross on the Wheel determined by the canonical divisions:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/CW_550.gif

Victor
01-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Was there any Jubilee celebration mentioned in the book of Joshua? Because that would mark the 50th year of Israel's existence as a nation.
There's no Jubilee celebration in Joshua. But we know that the word Jubilee comes from the Hebrew Yobel, which means horn, trumpet. And that word last appears in Joshua 6! Maybe that is a link.

Jubilee I believe means rejoicing. Philippians being the 50th book has a lot of joy, rejoice, mentioned.

That's a wonderful correlation. The Hebrew Yobel (Jubilee) was translated into the word Jubilaeus in Latin. Jubilaeus is very close to the Latin word Jubilum (Joy)! I don't know, maybe the first word influenced the second. The year of the remission and freedom no doubt brings great joy! The link is obvious nowadays. That's so true that Webster defines jubilee in the following way:

ju-bi-lee (jue'buh lee , jue buh lee') n.
1. the celebration of any of certain
anniversaries, as the 25th, 50th, 60th,
or 75th.
2. the completion of 50 years of existence,
activity, or the like.
3. any season or occasion of rejoicing or
festivity.
4. rejoicing or jubilation.
5. (in the Roman Catholic Church).
a. Also called <ju'bilee year'.> an
appointed year or other period,
ordinarily every 25 years, in which
a plenary indulgence is granted
upon repentance and the performance
of certain acts.
b. the plenary indulgence granted.
6. a yearlong period observed by Jews in
ancient times every 50 years, during
which Jewish slaves were freed,
alienated lands restored to the original
owner, and the fields left untilled.
Lev. 25.
So there is a link between the number 50 and rejoicing! It is really amazing to find that Book 50 is Phillipians, the Epistle of Joy! Such a joyous miracle!

But there's more: the gematria of "In the Jubilee" is 50!! Of course! There are fifty years in the Jubilee (ביובל)! Rejoice!

In the Jubilee = 50

Another comment is on the subject of Jericho.

It is spelled yod resh yod chet vav. The word moon is yod resh chet. I'm curious why they named the city Jericho. The worship of the moon-god? But the scriptures doesn't say it.

It is hard to find a link between the meaning of Jericho and the book of Joshua (as of yet). John Gill had to say the following on the meaning of that name:
Whether it had its name from the sweetsmelling balsam which grew in plenty about it, or from the form of it, being that of an half moon, is not certain, Strabo says of it, that here was a paradise of balsam, an aromatic, and that it was surrounded with hills in a plain, which bent to it like an amphitheatre.

Richard Amiel McGough
01-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Amazing, isn't it?

Here is a picture to help viewing the wonder. The letters Vav and Pey (letters 6 and 17) are found on the horizontal extremes of the Wheel.

The Stigmata
Galatians 6:17 (Vav, Pey)

http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Vav_Nail.gif Vav, the 6thLetter

On the Wheel:

http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Spoke06_HL.gif

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/p_R48.gif Pey, the 17th Letter

On the Wheel:

http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Spoke17_HL.gif

The inscribed cross on the Wheel determined by the canonical divisions:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/CW_550.gif

Tremendous insights bro! I'm really busy today, but I just had to make this pic to illustrate your insights. Note that when the Wheel is centered precisely on the head of Christ and the tri-radiant halo, the stigmata align precisely with the lettes Vav and Pey.

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/crucifixwheel.jpg

gilgal
01-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Jubilee (ביובל)! Rejoice!

How do you write Hebrew in the forum and throughout the internet?

gilgal
01-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Here's what I found on the following chapters:

Looking for:
fear + king + jericho + jerusalem,,hand,,deliver + made peace with + before israel
Joshua 10
1 Now it came to pass, when Adonizedek king of Jerusalem had heard how Joshua had taken Ai, and had utterly destroyed it; as he had done to Jericho and her king, so he had done to Ai and her king; and how the inhabitants of Gibeon had made peace with Israel, and were among them;
2 That they feared greatly, because Gibeon was a great city, as one of the royal cities, and because it was greater than Ai, and all the men thereof were mighty.
3 Wherefore Adonizedek king of Jerusalem, sent unto Hoham king of Hebron, and unto Piram king of Jarmuth, and unto Japhia king of Lachish, and unto Debir king of Eglon, saying,
4 Come up unto me, and help me, that we may smite Gibeon: for it hath made peace with Joshua and with the children of Israel.
5 Therefore the five kings of the Amorites, the king of Jerusalem, the king of Hebron, the king of Jarmuth, the king of Lachish, the king of Eglon, gathered themselves together, and went up, they and all their hosts, and encamped before Gibeon, and made war against it.
6 And the men of Gibeon sent unto Joshua to the camp to Gilgal, saying, Slack not thy hand from thy servants; come up to us quickly, and save us, and help us: for all the kings of the Amorites that dwell in the mountains are gathered together against us.
7 So Joshua ascended from Gilgal, he, and all the people of war with him, and all the mighty men of valor.
8 And the LORD said unto Joshua, Fear them not: for I have delivered them into thine hand; there shall not a man of them stand before thee.
9 Joshua therefore came unto them suddenly, and went up from Gilgal all night.
10 And the LORD discomfited them before Israel, and slew them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, and chased them along the way that goeth up to Bethhoron, and smote them to Azekah, and unto Makkedah.
11 And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.
12 Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.
13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel.
15 And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, unto the camp to Gilgal.
16 But these five kings fled, and hid themselves in a cave at Makkedah.
17 And it was told Joshua, saying, The five kings are found hid in a cave at Makkedah.
18 And Joshua said, Roll great stones upon the mouth of the cave, and set men by it for to keep them:
19 And stay ye not, but pursue after your enemies, and smite the hindmost of them; suffer them not to enter into their cities: for the LORD your God hath delivered them into your hand.
20 And it came to pass, when Joshua and the children of Israel had made an end of slaying them with a very great slaughter, till they were consumed, that the rest which remained of them entered into fenced cities.
21 And all the people returned to the camp to Joshua at Makkedah in peace: none moved his tongue against any of the children of Israel.
22 Then said Joshua, Open the mouth of the cave, and bring out those five kings unto me out of the cave.
23 And they did so, and brought forth those five kings unto him out of the cave, the king of Jerusalem, the king of Hebron, the king of Jarmuth, the king of Lachish, and the king of Eglon.
24 And it came to pass, when they brought out those kings unto Joshua, that Joshua called for all the men of Israel, and said unto the captains of the men of war which went with him, Come near, put your feet upon the necks of these kings. And they came near, and put their feet upon the necks of them.
25 And Joshua said unto them, Fear not, nor be dismayed, be strong and of good courage: for thus shall the LORD do to all your enemies against whom ye fight.
26 And afterward Joshua smote them, and slew them, and hanged them on five trees: and they were hanging upon the trees until the evening.
27 And it came to pass at the time of the going down of the sun, that Joshua commanded, and they took them down off the trees, and cast them into the cave wherein they had been hid, and laid great stones in the cave's mouth, which remain until this very day.
28 And that day Joshua took Makkedah, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and the king thereof he utterly destroyed, them, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain: and he did to the king of Makkedah as he did unto the king of Jericho.
29 Then Joshua passed from Makkedah, and all Israel with him, unto Libnah, and fought against Libnah:
30 And the LORD delivered it also, and the king thereof, into the hand of Israel; and he smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain in it; but did unto the king thereof as he did unto the king of Jericho.
31 And Joshua passed from Libnah, and all Israel with him, unto Lachish, and encamped against it, and fought against it:
32 And the LORD delivered Lachish into the hand of Israel, which took it on the second day, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein, according to all that he had done to Libnah.
33 Then Horam king of Gezer came up to help Lachish; and Joshua smote him and his people, until he had left him none remaining.
34 And from Lachish Joshua passed unto Eglon, and all Israel with him; and they encamped against it, and fought against it:
35 And they took it on that day, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein he utterly destroyed that day, according to all that he had done to Lachish.
36 And Joshua went up from Eglon, and all Israel with him, unto Hebron; and they fought against it:
37 And they took it, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and the king thereof, and all the cities thereof, and all the souls that were therein; he left none remaining, according to all that he had done to Eglon; but destroyed it utterly, and all the souls that were therein.
38 And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, to Debir; and fought against it:
39 And he took it, and the king thereof, and all the cities thereof; and they smote them with the edge of the sword, and utterly destroyed all the souls that were therein; he left none remaining: as he had done to Hebron, so he did to Debir, and to the king thereof; as he had done also to Libnah, and to her king.
40 So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded.
41 And Joshua smote them from Kadeshbarnea even unto Gaza, and all the country of Goshen, even unto Gibeon.
42 And all these kings and their land did Joshua take at one time, because the LORD God of Israel fought for Israel.
43 And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, unto the camp to Gilgal.

Looking for:
fear + king + jericho + jerusalem,,hand,,deliver + made peace with + before israel
2 Samuel 10
1 And it came to pass after this, that the king of the children of Ammon died, and Hanun his son reigned in his stead.
2 Then said David, I will show kindness unto Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father showed kindness unto me. And David sent to comfort him by the hand of his servants for his father. And David's servants came into the land of the children of Ammon.
3 And the princes of the children of Ammon said unto Hanun their lord, Thinkest thou that David doth honor thy father, that he hath sent comforters unto thee? hath not David rather sent his servants unto thee, to search the city, and to spy it out, and to overthrow it?
4 Wherefore Hanun took David's servants, and shaved off the one half of their beards, and cut off their garments in the middle, even to their buttocks, and sent them away.
5 When they told it unto David, he sent to meet them, because the men were greatly ashamed: and the king said, Tarry at Jericho until your beards be grown, and then return.
6 And when the children of Ammon saw that they stank before David, the children of Ammon sent and hired the Syrians of Bethrehob and the Syrians of Zoba, twenty thousand footmen, and of king Maacah a thousand men, and of Ishtob twelve thousand men.
7 And when David heard of it, he sent Joab, and all the host of the mighty men.
8 And the children of Ammon came out, and put the battle in array at the entering in of the gate: and the Syrians of Zoba, and of Rehob, and Ishtob, and Maacah, were by themselves in the field.
9 When Joab saw that the front of the battle was against him before and behind, he chose of all the choice men of Israel, and put them in array against the Syrians:
10 And the rest of the people he delivered into the hand of Abishai his brother, that he might put them in array against the children of Ammon.
11 And he said, If the Syrians be too strong for me, then thou shalt help me: but if the children of Ammon be too strong for thee, then I will come and help thee.
12 Be of good courage, and let us play the men for our people, and for the cities of our God: and the LORD do that which seemeth him good.
13 And Joab drew nigh, and the people that were with him, unto the battle against the Syrians: and they fled before him.
14 And when the children of Ammon saw that the Syrians were fled, then fled they also before Abishai, and entered into the city. So Joab returned from the children of Ammon, and came to Jerusalem.
15 And when the Syrians saw that they were smitten before Israel, they gathered themselves together.
16 And Hadarezer sent, and brought out the Syrians that were beyond the river: and they came to Helam; and Shobach the captain of the host of Hadarezer went before them.
17 And when it was told David, he gathered all Israel together, and passed over Jordan, and came to Helam. And the Syrians set themselves in array against David, and fought with him.
18 And the Syrians fled before Israel; and David slew the men of seven hundred chariots of the Syrians, and forty thousand horsemen, and smote Shobach the captain of their host, who died there.
19 And when all the kings that were servants to Hadarezer saw that they were smitten before Israel, they made peace with Israel, and served them. So the Syrians feared to help the children of Ammon any more.

gilgal
01-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Both in Joshua 10 and 2 Samuel 21:

Looking for:
gibeon + slew,,slay + hang
Joshua 10
1 Now it came to pass, when Adonizedek king of Jerusalem had heard how Joshua had taken Ai, and had utterly destroyed it; as he had done to Jericho and her king, so he had done to Ai and her king; and how the inhabitants of Gibeon had made peace with Israel, and were among them;
2 That they feared greatly, because Gibeon was a great city, as one of the royal cities, and because it was greater than Ai, and all the men thereof were mighty.
3 Wherefore Adonizedek king of Jerusalem, sent unto Hoham king of Hebron, and unto Piram king of Jarmuth, and unto Japhia king of Lachish, and unto Debir king of Eglon, saying,
4 Come up unto me, and help me, that we may smite Gibeon: for it hath made peace with Joshua and with the children of Israel.
5 Therefore the five kings of the Amorites, the king of Jerusalem, the king of Hebron, the king of Jarmuth, the king of Lachish, the king of Eglon, gathered themselves together, and went up, they and all their hosts, and encamped before Gibeon, and made war against it.
6 And the men of Gibeon sent unto Joshua to the camp to Gilgal, saying, Slack not thy hand from thy servants; come up to us quickly, and save us, and help us: for all the kings of the Amorites that dwell in the mountains are gathered together against us.
7 So Joshua ascended from Gilgal, he, and all the people of war with him, and all the mighty men of valor.
8 And the LORD said unto Joshua, Fear them not: for I have delivered them into thine hand; there shall not a man of them stand before thee.
9 Joshua therefore came unto them suddenly, and went up from Gilgal all night.
10 And the LORD discomfited them before Israel, and slew them with a great slaughter at Gibeon, and chased them along the way that goeth up to Bethhoron, and smote them to Azekah, and unto Makkedah.
11 And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.
12 Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.
13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.
14 And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel.
15 And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, unto the camp to Gilgal.
16 But these five kings fled, and hid themselves in a cave at Makkedah.
17 And it was told Joshua, saying, The five kings are found hid in a cave at Makkedah.
18 And Joshua said, Roll great stones upon the mouth of the cave, and set men by it for to keep them:
19 And stay ye not, but pursue after your enemies, and smite the hindmost of them; suffer them not to enter into their cities: for the LORD your God hath delivered them into your hand.
20 And it came to pass, when Joshua and the children of Israel had made an end of slaying them with a very great slaughter, till they were consumed, that the rest which remained of them entered into fenced cities.
21 And all the people returned to the camp to Joshua at Makkedah in peace: none moved his tongue against any of the children of Israel.
22 Then said Joshua, Open the mouth of the cave, and bring out those five kings unto me out of the cave.
23 And they did so, and brought forth those five kings unto him out of the cave, the king of Jerusalem, the king of Hebron, the king of Jarmuth, the king of Lachish, and the king of Eglon.
24 And it came to pass, when they brought out those kings unto Joshua, that Joshua called for all the men of Israel, and said unto the captains of the men of war which went with him, Come near, put your feet upon the necks of these kings. And they came near, and put their feet upon the necks of them.
25 And Joshua said unto them, Fear not, nor be dismayed, be strong and of good courage: for thus shall the LORD do to all your enemies against whom ye fight.
26 And afterward Joshua smote them, and slew them, and hanged them on five trees: and they were hanging upon the trees until the evening.
27 And it came to pass at the time of the going down of the sun, that Joshua commanded, and they took them down off the trees, and cast them into the cave wherein they had been hid, and laid great stones in the cave's mouth, which remain until this very day.
28 And that day Joshua took Makkedah, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and the king thereof he utterly destroyed, them, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain: and he did to the king of Makkedah as he did unto the king of Jericho.
29 Then Joshua passed from Makkedah, and all Israel with him, unto Libnah, and fought against Libnah:
30 And the LORD delivered it also, and the king thereof, into the hand of Israel; and he smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein; he let none remain in it; but did unto the king thereof as he did unto the king of Jericho.
31 And Joshua passed from Libnah, and all Israel with him, unto Lachish, and encamped against it, and fought against it:
32 And the LORD delivered Lachish into the hand of Israel, which took it on the second day, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein, according to all that he had done to Libnah.
33 Then Horam king of Gezer came up to help Lachish; and Joshua smote him and his people, until he had left him none remaining.
34 And from Lachish Joshua passed unto Eglon, and all Israel with him; and they encamped against it, and fought against it:
35 And they took it on that day, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and all the souls that were therein he utterly destroyed that day, according to all that he had done to Lachish.
36 And Joshua went up from Eglon, and all Israel with him, unto Hebron; and they fought against it:
37 And they took it, and smote it with the edge of the sword, and the king thereof, and all the cities thereof, and all the souls that were therein; he left none remaining, according to all that he had done to Eglon; but destroyed it utterly, and all the souls that were therein.
38 And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, to Debir; and fought against it:
39 And he took it, and the king thereof, and all the cities thereof; and they smote them with the edge of the sword, and utterly destroyed all the souls that were therein; he left none remaining: as he had done to Hebron, so he did to Debir, and to the king thereof; as he had done also to Libnah, and to her king.
40 So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded.
41 And Joshua smote them from Kadeshbarnea even unto Gaza, and all the country of Goshen, even unto Gibeon.
42 And all these kings and their land did Joshua take at one time, because the LORD God of Israel fought for Israel.
43 And Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, unto the camp to Gilgal.

Looking for:
gibeon + slew,,slay + hang
2 Samuel 21
1 Then there was a famine in the days of David three years, year after year; and David inquired of the LORD. And the LORD answered, It is for Saul, and for his bloody house, because he slew the Gibeonites.
2 And the king called the Gibeonites, and said unto them; (now the Gibeonites were not of the children of Israel, but of the remnant of the Amorites; and the children of Israel had sworn unto them: and Saul sought to slay them in his zeal to the children of Israel and Judah.)
3 Wherefore David said unto the Gibeonites, What shall I do for you? and wherewith shall I make the atonement, that ye may bless the inheritance of the LORD?
4 And the Gibeonites said unto him, We will have no silver nor gold of Saul, nor of his house; neither for us shalt thou kill any man in Israel. And he said, What ye shall say, that will I do for you.
5 And they answered the king, The man that consumed us, and that devised against us that we should be destroyed from remaining in any of the coasts of Israel,
6 Let seven men of his sons be delivered unto us, and we will hang them up unto the LORD in Gibeah of Saul, whom the LORD did choose. And the king said, I will give them.
7 But the king spared Mephibosheth, the son of Jonathan the son of Saul, because of the LORD's oath that was between them, between David and Jonathan the son of Saul.
8 But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite:
9 And he delivered them into the hands of the Gibeonites, and they hanged them in the hill before the LORD: and they fell all seven together, and were put to death in the days of harvest, in the first days, in the beginning of barley harvest.
10 And Rizpah the daughter of Aiah took sackcloth, and spread it for her upon the rock, from the beginning of harvest until water dropped upon them out of heaven, and suffered neither the birds of the air to rest on them by day, nor the beasts of the field by night.
11 And it was told David what Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, the concubine of Saul, had done.
12 And David went and took the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son from the men of Jabeshgilead, which had stolen them from the street of Bethshan, where the Philistines had hanged them, when the Philistines had slain Saul in Gilboa:
13 And he brought up from thence the bones of Saul and the bones of Jonathan his son; and they gathered the bones of them that were hanged.
14 And the bones of Saul and Jonathan his son buried they in the country of Benjamin in Zelah, in the sepulchre of Kish his father: and they performed all that the king commanded. And after that God was intreated for the land.
15 Moreover the Philistines had yet war again with Israel; and David went down, and his servants with him, and fought against the Philistines: and David waxed faint.
16 And Ishbibenob, which was of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of brass in weight, he being girded with a new sword, thought to have slain David.
17 But Abishai the son of Zeruiah succored him, and smote the Philistine, and killed him. Then the men of David sware unto him, saying, Thou shalt go no more out with us to battle, that thou quench not the light of Israel.
18 And it came to pass after this, that there was again a battle with the Philistines at Gob: then Sibbechai the Hushathite slew Saph, which was of the sons of the giant.
19 And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines, where Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite, slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite, the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam.
20 And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.
21 And when he defied Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimeah the brother of David slew him.
22 These four were born to the giant in Gath, and fell by the hand of David, and by the hand of his servants.

gilgal
01-10-2009, 11:54 PM
The name 'Gibeon (http://www.christnotes.org/dictionary.php?dict=hbn&id=911)' means hill; cup; thing lifted up

Victor
01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Tremendous insights bro! I'm really busy today, but I just had to make this pic to illustrate your insights. Note that when the Wheel is centered precisely on the head of Christ and the tri-radiant halo, the stigmata align precisely with the lettes Vav and Pey.

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/crucifixwheel.jpg

Thank you Richard! Excellent picture choice by the way. It fits wonderfully. It also displays three cycles behind Christ and the Alpha Omega.

You know, I tend to see the nails signaled by the pairs Hey-Vav, Kaph-Lamed and Pey-Tsaddi. So the arms of Christ are determined by the canonical divisions. But the stigmata also fits into this in a simplified way: 6 and 17, Vav and Tsaddi.

Of course there are so many riches that we often fail to mention some simple things. Case in point, the beautiful identity:

Nail (Vav) = 6 = Mark (Stigma)

Victor
01-11-2009, 04:39 PM
How do you write Hebrew in the forum and throughout the internet?

Well, I don't know exactly but people who are familar with Hebrew use the normal keyboard together with a Hebrew font and they know where the letters are on the keyboard.

In my case, I just copied and pasted the Unicode characters from the Full Text Hebrew/Greek Bible Gematria Database (http://www.biblewheel.com/Gr/Gr_Database.asp).

Victor
01-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Gilgal,

You have two new posts linking Joshua 10 with 2 Samuel (Book 10) Chapter 10 and also Joshua 10 with 2 Samuel 21. They are very good! :clap2: And they are on Spoke 10. I begin to see several links between the passages. I'll will try to examine them more in the future.

Victor