PDA

View Full Version : Biblical Hermeneutics

basilfo
07-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Just wanted to endorse (not that he needs it from a novice like me):

Biblical Hermeneutics by Milton Terry

I'm 180 pages into the 700+ page classic.
It is not light reading at all. But I am learning a great deal already. Got a paperback used copy on Ebay for $12.

For anyone serious about understanding the "science of interpretation", this is a must.

Peace to you all,
Dave

Richard Amiel McGough
07-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Just wanted to endorse (not that he needs it from a novice like me):

Biblical Hermeneutics by Milton Terry

I'm 180 pages into the 700+ page classic.
It is not light reading at all. But I am learning a great deal already. Got a paperback used copy on Ebay for $12.

For anyone serious about understanding the "science of interpretation", this is a must.

Peace to you all,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. I found the entire book free online here:

http://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/1883_terry_biblical-hermeneutics.html

It would be interesting to know what has impressed you about this book.

Richard

basilfo
07-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi Richard,
The only prob with the free online books are that you must read on the computer, which is not always good. but thanks for the link.

So far, it is the broad groundwork that Terry has gone through in leading up to the 'guts' of the book. He covers origins of languages, how languages develop and change over time, what each of the books of the Bible were written in (Hebrew, Chaldee - the tongue of the Babylonian Empire on Neb's day, and of course Greek).

I get the same feeling I had when reading Before Jerusalem Fell by Ken Gentry. These are excellent sources of serious study, free of opinion and bias, and strong on massive research and comprehensive covering of the subjects. I'll update you when I finish, but it's only a few pages at a time if you want to digest everything. Not a book you can skim, for sure.

Dave

Brother Les
07-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Todd Dennis has a huge amount of great books linked up on his website. A life time of great reading. I wish also that I had the time to read all of Samuel Lee's books, such as this one.

"The Event and Times of The Visions and of Daniel and St. John"

http://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/1851_lee_visions.html

Man... 12$ for an avalanche of understanding that many do not want to see.
I know that 'Corinthian' knows of Milton Terry and his writtings, but 'his' own paradiym is all he wants.

I look forward to some of the great insight that you will share with us.

Blessings Dave.
Brother Les

basilfo
07-31-2008, 06:52 PM
As I continue to read Biblical Hermeneutics (Terry), it becomes very clear that he views the preterist interp of the OD, Paul's eschatology, and Revelation as the correct interpretation - all having been fulfilled in the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in 70AD.

My question is - how is Milton Terry viewed in Theological circles? He is clearly a preterist.

Is this book widely accepted as a sound source of Biblical interpretation methods? I would be surprised since the preterist position is so soundly supported and concluded as correct.

I'm about half way through and highly recommend it to all. It's a 'must read'.
Thanks,
Dave

EndtimesDeut32/70AD
12-01-2009, 01:28 PM
My question is - how is Milton Terry viewed in Theological circles? He is clearly a preterist.

Is this book widely accepted as a sound source of Biblical interpretation methods? I would be surprised since the preterist position is so soundly supported and concluded as correct.

Dave
That book, Bernard Ramms and a few others were textbooks for the Hermeneutics class at a bible college I attended.
And yet Preterism as a word; nor the fulfilled perspectives were never discussed. The futurists perspectives of Daniel, the Olivet and Revelation were taught.

I think Todd Dennis has him listed as a Modern Preterist, not sure.