PDA

View Full Version : False Witnesses

David M
03-16-2013, 06:29 AM
We are all apt to be false witnesses by the things we accept as truth that have come to us from the writings or lips of other people who were not direct witnesses to the fact being reported.

As as false witness (unknowingly) we can promulgate lies proporting to be the truth.

Therefore, when we are not a direct witness, we have to be on our guard and report to the best of our understanding and admit that what we say might not be the truth unless it can be supported. By support, we need to get an unbroken chain of witnesses going back to the original witness to the event(s).

It is one of the Ten Commandments which says; "Thou shalt not bear false witness".

Lies are at the root of all evil and the first lie began with Eve in the Garden of Eden when she believed the lie; "thou shalt not die".

The Bible warns us not to believe in "lying words". Note what God says; (Jeremiah 29:23) ..and have spoken lying words in my name, which I have not commanded them; even I know, and am a witness, saith the LORD.

Since we have a record in our memories of what we have spoken and since God is able to read our memories and know what is in our hearts, so God is a reliable witness. Unbelievers will not accept what I have just said and say; "give us the proof that God exists and that He can read people's minds (let alone create men and women in the first place).
One evidence we know of, as recalled in the gospel record, is that of the time when Jesus spoke with the woman at the well in Samaria. Without ever having met the woman before, she was able to declare; (John 4:29) Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

Who are we to believe? We have a problem when someone, who is a deliberate liar and who does not tell the truth, deliberately sets out to falsify the truth.

As an example of witnesses to an event, we know when several people or more witness a traffic accident, we know when those witneses are examined that their testimonies might not agree in every detail. We can conclude, since there are at least two independent witnesses to the event, the reported event actually occurred. There may be other facts which the two independent witnesses agree on. However, there might be many reported facts by all the witnesses which are not corroborated by the other witnesses. Whilst some of the facts can be true, though uncorroborated, there might be facts which are in direct opposition, and therefore, they have to be eliminated for not being verified.

Witnesses to actual past events says more than science alone can ever tell us. No-one was present at the beginning so there is no-one to tell us like it was. Two scientists can independently agree their results, but that does not mean their conclusions are the truth.

How far back in time can we go to establish the truth from the writings we have?

Jesus knew that it was essential to have two witnesses. The following few verses are worth quoting in their entirity in order to see the truth behind the truth of Jesus' own words and works: hence he said;
(John 531 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.
32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true.
33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.
34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved.
35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.
36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.
37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.
38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

At the time of Paul writing about the resurection of Jesus, he says; (1 Cor. 15:6) After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present,
Those first account witnesses were alive to witness to the event could have been interrogated and their story substantiated. It is hardly likely that the many who were still alive would have corroborated together to concoct and false story.

The only way the Jewish Elders could accuse Stephen (the first Christian martyr) is by getting false witnesses: (Acts 6:13)And set up false witnesses, which said, This man ceaseth not to speak blasphemous words against this holy place, and the law:

It was the same with Jesus, the Elders had to plot against him as to how they could kill him and expected to do it by catching him out and finding a fault which they could accuse him and by which by their own law they could find him guilty and stone him to death. The fact is; Jesus denounced them publically and in so doing forced them to act quickly and Jesus signed his own death warrant and so the Elders etc got the Romans to kill him on their behalf.

Moses spoke of Jesus as the prophet to come, who would be greater than Moses. Moses said that they were to listen to the greater prophet to come. Jesus confirmed that Moses should be listened to and that the Pharisees who sat in the seat of Moses should have done what Moses had instructed them to do. The fact is; they did not do what Moses had instructed them to do and they broke God's instruction by adding to the law. The Pharisaical law in the time of Jesus and which has been further added to, is not the law that was originally given to God's people at Sinai. The Pharisaical law is therefore part filled with lies and so as Jesus told the people; not to keep the additions (the takinots) that were man-made.

We have to be careful to separate out the man-made lies which have been added to God's word. This can only be done by looking to other parts of scripture which confirm or deny that which we need to substantiate.

The Bible has been accused of being a book of myths and the stories it contains as untrue. The writings of Moses, which for centuries were accurately copied and handed down, contain stories which are considered untrue. Now with modern technology, the Red Sea crossing has been proven to be true. Chariot parts have been found in the only possible place to cross the cavernous depths that is the rift valley filled with water, Even now, the skeptics do not believe the evidence.

What will make a blind (spiritually/mentally) person see? Jesus did the miraculous and literally made a man born blind see. Those who knew the man were witnesses to the fact that he was born blind. Now those same people could see for themselves that the man could see. After interrogation, the man's story did not change (a sign of telling the truth). The Pharisees declared that they were disciples of Moses, but as we know, the Pharisees were not true disciples of Moses, because they had not listened to Moses and did that which they should not have done, They did not listen to the prophet of whom Moses had said would come and they should listen to him.

Who do you listen to and who can you trust not to be a false witness?

David