PDA

View Full Version : Firstfruits: Prelude to Harvest

duxrow
04-08-2012, 07:49 AM
FIRSTFRUITS - 50 days prior to Pentecost!

The Passover was when they killed the Lamb. :eek:

Ex:12:6: And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.Ex:12:11: And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD's passover.
<hr>

FIRSTFRUITS began the 50 day count to Pentecost.

Lev23:9: And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest:
And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.
And ye shall offer that day when ye wave the sheaf an he lamb without blemish of the first year for a burnt offering unto the LORD.
And the meat offering thereof shall be two tenth deals of fine flour mingled with oil, an offering made by fire unto the LORD for a sweet savour: and the drink offering thereof shall be of wine, the fourth part of an hin.
And ye shall eat neither bread, nor parched corn, nor green ears, until the selfsame day that ye have brought an offering unto your God: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
Lev23:15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
Le:23:16: Even unto the morrow after the seventh sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.

Ac:2:1: And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. (Upper room, some say..)

Sooo, when the Day of Pentecost was FULLY COME, it followed the Resurrection by 50 days! Right? Or is this wrong by 3 days?:signthankspin:

David M
04-08-2012, 10:02 AM
FIRSTFRUITS - 50 days prior to Pentecost!

Sooo, when the Day of Pentecost was FULLY COME, it followed the Resurrection by 50 days! Right? Or is this wrong by 3 days?:signthankspin:

Hello Bob

I shall be pleased to know the answer to this. The number 40 is often associated with periods of testing/trial/proof and I have wondered whether in every case the period of 40 days or 40 years is a precise amount of time or whether it could have been a slightly different period and the number is used to convey the importance of the event.

The fifty days period we are discussing here does suggest that the 40 days in which Jesus was seen after the resurrection was a true period. If Jesus was seen for 40 days after the resurrection, what about the 7 days Jesus was not seen?

All the best.

David

duxrow
04-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Hello Bob

I shall be pleased to know the answer to this. The number 40 is often associated with periods of testing/trial/proof and I have wondered whether in every case the period of 40 days or 40 years is a precise amount of time or whether it could have been a slightly different period and the number is used to convey the importance of the event.

The fifty days period we are discussing here does suggest that the 40 days in which Jesus was seen after the resurrection was a true period. If Jesus was seen for 40 days after the resurrection, what about the 7 days Jesus was not seen?

All the best.

David

Ac:1:3: To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

Daniel had a missing 'seven', and seems to be one here also....

I'm figuring Jesus was crucified on Passover (as it says), and that 3 days later would be "Firstfruits", or as we say today, Easter.

Nothing said about it in scripture, but Caiphas must have "waved" the grain on that third day -- you think?

My thinking is how we got A WAIVER due to the Resurrection! Amen? :mmph: