PDA

View Full Version : Jesus ministry lasted 1 or 3 1/2 Years?

Beck
02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Looking for some evidence toward anyone's befief that Jesus ministry lasted for 1 year and also those who support the view of 3 1/2 years.

I know for starters we have three Passovers mentioned by John, but would that logically mean that each represents a different year?

I will be adding to the discussion later....but if you would go ahead a give your arguments for which one you consider to be the correct one.

Beck
02-29-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm sorry for being slow in my responsing, but just got very busy. I can only add to this discussion at this time by saying that in studying the time frame of Jesus ministry it helps to know the time of Tiberius Caesar. It is recorded that the beginning ministry of John the Baptist was in the 15th years of Tiberius Caesar (Luke 3:1) And knowing that his reign was from 14 AD to 37 AD making the time of John the Baptist ministry around 29 AD.

Now in keeping in the account given by Luke, John the Baptist went about baptizing with water and then came Jesus to be baptized by John (Luke 3:21-22) It is here that Luke gives the account that Jesus were about 30 years of age. You might wonder why is that improtant to Luke to give us his age. It's important to note the age of Jesus as starting his ministry at the age of 30 becasue that would follow the commandment given to the Priest that would enter the tabernacle of the congregation to do their service (Num.4:2-4).

Then if we continue in Luke's account we come to see that Jesus proclaimed to do his service in the acceptable year of the Lord. (Luke 4:18-19) Which I believe is in reference to the year of Jubilee when all sins are forgiven and all debts are remitted and all slaves are set free (Lev.25:39-54). Jesus said that day (day of Jubilee) were fullfilled in their ears. This should have some great bearing of how one would go about in determining whither one year or another three and half.

I'll continue later....If you have any thoughts or even helping me out with your time lines please do so.

Beck
03-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Taking the account from the book of John which has addition and alternation can we really relay on his mentioning of three passovers and say that it then requires us to have the ministry of Jesus as to three years? I don't think so.

For one how many times does Jesus cast out the merchants from the temple? In John's account it is placed at the every beginning of Jesus ministry while in Luke 19 is given the casting out of the merchants after Jesus triumphal entry into the city. Sometime much later than in his early ministry.

So we must discount this passover from John 2 as being a different passover. We then have only two mentioned passovers from John. That in ifself dosen't require us to say that Jesus ministry lasted two years, only that it span from one passover to another.

Beck
03-09-2012, 06:20 PM
I've been examining the work of Josephus in the Antiquities of the Jews Book 15 tells us that in the years that Herod captive Jerusalem it would be 18 years in duration of building the temple. Josephus also claims that Herod reign was for 34 years and some months over Jerusalem while he begun ruling in the year 37BC. That would make that for three years until his final capture of the city Jerusalem.

All of this is important becasue of it was noted by Josephus that from the date of Herod captive and reign over Jerusalem in 34BC it would be 18 years until the temple is begun to be rebuilt in the year 16/17BC. It would be another 46 years until the year of passover mentioned by the Jews in John 2:20. Making that year in the year of 29/30AD.

I know that some will claim that the years that Herod begun to rebuild was in 19/20BC, but that is only assumed that Herod begun his reign in the year 37BC. According to Josephus it wasn't until he took the city of Jerusalem some three years into his reign. Josephus seem to count his 18 years from the capture of Jerusalem and not his being given the King of the Jews.

Others might claim that even so that Jesus being 30 years of age in 29/30AD would not allow for Herod's death at the year 4BC. That is questioned and it might have been in the year 1BC. Since we have Josephus requring that Herod reign was for 37 years and 34 years over Jerusalem. That requires in reign to have lasted at least until 1BC.

Unregistered
09-03-2012, 08:50 AM
By starting with the chronology in the Gospel of John, and noting Yahushua’s (Yeshua's, Jesus’) attendance at the Feasts, and correlating this to the other three Gospels, we discover that his public ministry was about one year long. Further investigation reveals that the entire length, including the 40 days fast in the wilderness and 50 days until Pentecost, is exactly 70 literal weeks, or 490 days. see http://4gospels.info/

Richard Amiel McGough
09-03-2012, 09:56 AM
By starting with the chronology in the Gospel of John, and noting Yahushua’s (Yeshua's, Jesus’) attendance at the Feasts, and correlating this to the other three Gospels, we discover that his public ministry was about one year long. Further investigation reveals that the entire length, including the 40 days fast in the wilderness and 50 days until Pentecost, is exactly 70 literal weeks, or 490 days. see http://4gospels.info/
How do you deal with the three Passovers in John's Gospel?

John 2:13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,

John 6:4 And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.

John 11:55 And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves.