PDA

View Full Version : Question

throwback
02-06-2012, 09:55 AM
RAM,

Where you to encounter a person who was without a religious or superstitious inclination that happenned to be interested in the Bible Wheel; What would you tell them? Is there something about it that even the skeptical can find meaningful and bigger than that, do you see it as being something that the human race can truly learn and benefit from on a level that is beyond that of trivia?

Richard Amiel McGough
02-06-2012, 10:16 AM
RAM,

Where you to encounter a person who was without a religious or superstitious inclination that happenned to be interested in the Bible Wheel; What would you tell them? Is there something about it that even the skeptical can find meaningful and bigger than that, do you see it as being something that the human race can truly learn and benefit from on a level that is beyond that of trivia?
Great question! I've been wondering about that a lot lately. There is much that remains meaningful even when removed from the traditional Christian interpretation. I think the psycho-spiritual approach of Jungian psychology and archetypes is probably the best path to understand the Bible Wheel. It has the same properties as mandalas that mark a culimation in the process of individuation. The Bible was the central formative text of the entire Western civilization, and the Bible Wheel appears to be the product of the collective unconscious, like a mandala that appears in dreams of people when then come to inner harmony and self-awareness. Thus, the Bible Wheel could indicate a global transformation of spiritual consciousness in the planetary mind.

There's plenty that thoughtful folks could find meaningful and that the human race could truly learn and benefit from.

throwback
02-06-2012, 10:47 AM
So perhaps it could be seen as a key or aid in us understanding the unconscious psyche and becoming able to make it part of our conscious psyche or at least insuring that we do not repress the unconscious things that are every bit as real as that which our conscious psyche perceives though perhaps more difficult to perceive?
Or is it more simply described as a tool that can aid in a realization that there is perhaps a conscious "tie" that binds us all that offers knowledge that can guide us along more productive and meaningful pathways?
Or C, I am missing it entirely?

Richard Amiel McGough
02-06-2012, 10:51 AM
So perhaps it could be seen as a key or aid in us understanding the unconscious psyche and becoming able to make it part of our conscious psyche or at least insuring that we do not repress the unconscious things that are every bit as real as that which our conscious psyche perceives though perhaps more difficult to perceive?
Or is it more simply described as a tool that can aid in a realization that there is perhaps a conscious "tie" that binds us all that offers knowledge that can guide us along more productive and meaningful pathways?
Or C, I am missing it entirely?
Yes. I see it as giving insight into the nature of the global mind. If it is a product of the collective unconscious it reveals the nature of ourselves, what we are, where we have come from and where we are going. Perhaps it gives mystical insight into the nature of Ultimate Reality. The possibilities are endless. Are you familiar with archetypes?

throwback
02-06-2012, 11:51 AM
If I said I was vaguely familiar with archetypes I would likely be overstating my knowledge of the subject. I have only recently began delving into sacred numerology, researching Kabala, and even opening my mind to "new age" philosophies.
As far a Ultimate Reality or the search for it goes, it seems as if the pursuit of it is akin to finding a specific grain of sand on the beach amongst countless other granuals. I don't know whether the truth about Ultimate Reality will ever be undeniable or whether it will support Theism or Naturalism. For the entirety of my life I have been on the theism side with my most staunch former belief being of the henotheistic variety in the Michael Heiser mold. Most recently however, in my mind the most reasonable theistic concept is the one held by panentheists (not pantheism) that would allow for God to be sort of an emergent consciousness of the universe that has a will and fully knows and understands all there is about the universe though it and the universe are not one and the same.

Richard Amiel McGough
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
If I said I was vaguely familiar with archetypes I would likely be overstating my knowledge of the subject. I have only recently began delving into sacred numerology, researching Kabala, and even opening my mind to "new age" philosophies.
As far a Ultimate Reality or the search for it goes, it seems as if the pursuit of it is akin to finding a specific grain of sand on the beach amongst countless other granuals. I don't know whether the truth about Ultimate Reality will ever be undeniable or whether it will support Theism or Naturalism. For the entirety of my life I have been on the theism side with my most staunch former belief being of the henotheistic variety in the Michael Heiser mold. Most recently however, in my mind the most reasonable theistic concept is the one held by panentheists (not pantheism) that would allow for God to be sort of an emergent consciousness of the universe that has a will and fully knows and understands all there is about the universe though it and the universe are not one and the same.
Being open minded is great, and there is a lot of value in the so-called "New Age" thinking. But there's also a bunch of flaky crap mixed in with it all, not really different than what you typically find in religions. I'm pretty skeptical of everything "spiritual" even though I am very interested in the topric.

I use "Ulitmate Reality" as a reference to the "Ground of Being" - which seems to me to be Consciousness. It corresponds to the concept of God in that sense, but not the "personal" God of theism that is like a super-person who goes about "doing things." I think it's probably similar to your concept of panentheism. I haven't heard of Michael Heiser before - I'll check out his ideas.