PDA

View Full Version : Numbers 24:17

Charisma
12-31-2011, 12:44 PM
NUmbers 24:17
I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.

Can the last two clauses of this verse be taken literally, or, their primary meaning is spiritual?

Richard Amiel McGough
12-31-2011, 01:13 PM
NUmbers 24:17
I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.

Can the last two clauses of this verse be taken literally, or, their primary meaning is spiritual?
That's a very interesting question. I've never really read the verse past the statement about the Star (Christ) rising out of Israel. I think I would have interpreted the second clause about smiting Moab and destroying the sons of Sheth as symbolic of the idea that Christ overcame the world. It seems very odd to take it literally as if it were speaking of the long gone Moabites or the undefined "children of Seth" (nobody even knows who they were).

This really brings out the odd nature of Biblical prophecy. One part - the Star and the Sceptre - apply so obviously to Christ, while the second part makes no sense at all (to me anyway).

Charisma
12-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi Richard,

I love your honesty!

I came across this verse yesterday, as part of a different study, and it occurred to me that a work colleague a few years ago was surnamed Seth. The thought became, well, there's definitely one son of Seth still alive! :winking0071:

Richard Amiel McGough
12-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi Richard,

I love your honesty!

I came across this verse yesterday, as part of a different study, and it occurred to me that a work colleague a few years ago was surnamed Seth. The thought became, well, there's definitely one son of Seth still alive! :winking0071:
Thanks for the kind words! :D

I'm sure that there are many living descendents of Moab and "the sons of Seth" (whoever they were). They are mixed in with the rest of humanity like a drop of ink in an ocean. But it seems pretty unlikely that the text is talking about them since nearly everybody (or nobody) is related to them now. That's the funny thing about population dynamics. Go back far enough, and every person is either an ancestor of everyone or no one. It's because all the lines mix with other lines with each generation. So after say 100 generations, every person has 2100 ancestors (which is about a thousand trillion trillion trillion people!), and that's a whole lot more than all the people who have ever lived so almost all lines converge pretty quickly in the past.

Charisma
12-31-2011, 04:35 PM
What I'm picking up from light reading of verses containing the name Moab, is that with Midian they came against Israel, and thus became enemies to Israel. In David's and Solomon's day, Moab paid tribute to Israell, but in Jeremiah's prophecy, Moab's doom begins to be sealed, first being greatly weakened.

Zephaniah 2:9 Therefore [as] I live, saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Surely Moab shall be as Sodom, and the children of Ammon as Gomorrah, [even] the breeding of nettles, and saltpits, and a perpetual desolation: the residue of my people shall spoil them, and the remnant of my people shall possess them.