gilgal
12-21-2011, 10:09 AM
If there's one thing in this book that is very significant it's the name:
Onesimus = "profitable or useful";
a Christian slave of Philemon
It says slave but I prefer the word servant

Philemon

Links/Names

1 Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy [our] brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellowlabourer,

Paul or Paulus = "small or little"
1) Paul was the most famous of the apostles and wrote a good part of the NT, the 14 Pauline epistles
2) Paulus was a deputy or pro-consul of Cyprus and is said to be a prudent man, in the management of affairs, as a governor

Timothy = "honouring God"
1) a resident of Lystra, apparently, whose father was a Greek and mother a Jewess; he was Paul's travelling companion and fellow labourer

Philemon = "one who kisses"
1) a resident of Colosse, converted to Christianity by Paul, and the recipient of the letter bearing his name

2 And to [our] beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, and to the church in thy house:

Apphia = "fruitful"
1) a Christian member of Philemon's household

Archippus = "master of the horse"
1) a certain Christian teacher in Colosse

3 Grace to you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

4 I thank my God, making mention of thee always in my prayers,

5 Hearing of thy love and faith, which thou hast toward the Lord Jesus, and toward all saints;

6 That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

7 For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother.

8 Wherefore, though I might be much bold in Christ to enjoin thee that which is convenient,

9 Yet for love's sake I rather beseech [thee], being such an one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ.

10 I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds:

11 Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me:

profitable
1) easy to make use of, useful

It's not the same word as the name Onesimus but the word comes from:
20 Yea, brother, let[3685] me have joy[3685] of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord.
20 Ναὶ, ἀδελφέ ἐγώ σου ὀναίμην ἐν Κυρίῳ ἀνάπαυσόν μου τὰ σπλάγχνα ἐν Κυρίῳ

12 Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels:

13 Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead he might have ministered unto me in the bonds of the gospel:

14 But without thy mind would I do nothing; that thy benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly.

15 For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever;

16 Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord?

17 If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself.

18 If he hath wronged thee, or oweth [thee] ought, put that on mine account;

19 I Paul have written [it] with mine own hand, I will repay [it]: albeit I do not say to thee how thou owest unto me even thine own self besides.

20 Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord.

21 Having confidence in thy obedience I wrote unto thee, knowing that thou wilt also do more than I say.

22 But withal prepare me also a lodging: for I trust that through your prayers I shall be given unto you.

23 There salute thee Epaphras, my fellowprisoner in Christ Jesus;

Epaphras = "lovely"
1) a Christian man mentioned in Paul's epistles

24 Marcus, Aristarchus, Demas, Lucas, my fellowlabourers.

Mark = "a defense"
1) an evangelist, the author of the Gospel of Mark. Marcus was his Latin surname, his Jewish name was John. He was a cousin of Barnabas and a companion of Paul in some of his missionary journeys

Aristarchus = "the best ruler"
1) a certain Christian of Thessalonica, and accompanied Paul on his third missionary journey

Demas = "governor of the people"
1) a companion of Paul, who deserted the apostle when he was a prisoner at Rome and returned to Thessalonica

Luke or Lucus = "light-giving"
1) a Gentile Christian, the companion of Paul in preaching the gospel and on his many journeys; he was a physician and author of the book of Luke and Acts in the NT

25 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ [be] with your spirit. Amen.

[[[The following was added by editors of the KJV: Written from Rome to Philemon, by Onesimus a servant.]]]

Richard Amiel McGough
12-21-2011, 11:25 AM
This reminds me of a thread you started way back in 2007 called biblical names and integration with context (http://www.biblewheel.com/forum/showthread.php?194-biblical-names-and-integration-with-the-context). I responded by writing this:

[The idea of] "Names Integrated with Context" that makes me think of how the prophets' names are often linked to themes in their books. Here are some examples off the top of my head:

Malachi means "my messenger" - and this word appears in the text of his prophecy: Malachi 3:1 "Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me:"

Isaiah means "The Lord is Salvation" - and this is the unique message of his book, as seen by the fact that the word "salvation" appears in his book many more times than in any other prophet. A good example of its unique style is Isaiah 45:17 "But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end." The only book that mentions salvation more is Psalms, which also is the largest book in the Bible.

Zephaniah means "the Lord has Treasured" or "The Lord has Hid" - it comes form the root tzaphan which means treasured or hidden. This word first occurs in Exodus 2:2 when Moses was hidden so he wouldn't be killed by Pharoah. Some speculate (http://net.bible.org/dictionary.php?word=Zephaniah,%20Book%20Of) that Zephaniah was given this name because he too had to be hidden to protect him from the wicked king Manasseh. The meaning of his name appears in Zephaniah 2:3 "Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger." Now in this case, the word "hid" is different than the root of the prophets name. This is an example of the linked theme being based on a synonym of the prophet's name.

If folks have other examples of the integration of the prophets' or books' names with their content, please share them here!

Unfortunately, that's as far as the thread went. No one else responded.

gilgal
12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
This reminds me of a thread you started way back in 2007 called biblical names and integration with context (http://www.biblewheel.com/forum/showthread.php?194-biblical-names-and-integration-with-the-context). I responded by writing this:

[The idea of] "Names Integrated with Context" that makes me think of how the prophets' names are often linked to themes in their books. Here are some examples off the top of my head:

Malachi means "my messenger" - and this word appears in the text of his prophecy: Malachi 3:1 "Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me:"

Isaiah means "The Lord is Salvation" - and this is the unique message of his book, as seen by the fact that the word "salvation" appears in his book many more times than in any other prophet. A good example of its unique style is Isaiah 45:17 "But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end." The only book that mentions salvation more is Psalms, which also is the largest book in the Bible.

Zephaniah means "the Lord has Treasured" or "The Lord has Hid" - it comes form the root tzaphan which means treasured or hidden. This word first occurs in Exodus 2:2 when Moses was hidden so he wouldn't be killed by Pharoah. Some speculate (http://net.bible.org/dictionary.php?word=Zephaniah,%20Book%20Of) that Zephaniah was given this name because he too had to be hidden to protect him from the wicked king Manasseh. The meaning of his name appears in Zephaniah 2:3 "Seek ye the LORD, all ye meek of the earth, which have wrought his judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be ye shall be hid in the day of the LORD'S anger." Now in this case, the word "hid" is different than the root of the prophets name. This is an example of the linked theme being based on a synonym of the prophet's name.

If folks have other examples of the integration of the prophets' or books' names with their content, please share them here!

Unfortunately, that's as far as the thread went. No one else responded.
That's right. Even I forgot about it.
When you mentioned about Zephaniah my mind went to a possible link in 2Chronicles:
2 Chronicles 9:2 KJV - And Solomon told her all her questions: and there was nothing hid from Solomon which he told her not.
2 Chronicles 22:9 KJV - And he sought Ahaziah: and they caught him, (for he was hid in Samaria,) and brought him to Jehu: and when they had slain him, they buried him: Because, said they, he [is] the son of Jehoshaphat, who sought the LORD with all his heart. So the house of Ahaziah had no power to keep still the kingdom.
2 Chronicles 22:11 KJV - But Jehoshabeath, the daughter of the king, took Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the king's sons that were slain, and put him and his nurse in a bedchamber. So Jehoshabeath, the daughter of king Jehoram, the wife of Jehoiada the priest, (for she was the sister of Ahaziah,) hid him from Athaliah, so that she slew him not.
2 Chronicles 22:12 KJV - And he was with them hid in the house of God six years: and Athaliah reigned over the land.