PDA

View Full Version : The Canon Wheel and the Sign of Deity

Richard Amiel McGough
06-09-2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.biblewheel.com/art/Angelico_Christ_in_Judgment.jpg

In the article called "The Tri-radiant Crucifom Halo as the Sign of Deity (http://www.biblewheel.com/art/Sign_of_Deity.asp)" I discuss the correlation between the pattern of the Canon Wheel and the ancient iconic sign of deity found throughout Christian art, as in the image above.

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/CW_147.gif http://www.biblewheel.com/art/Christ_head.gif

Skeptics sometimes assert that the correlation is not really very impressive, because the halo "really" has four arms. The article discusses this question, and presents a stunning example of the actual form of the halo as conceived by orthodox artists, where it explicitly is shown with only three arms:

http://www.biblewheel.com/art/Prayer_in_Garden_235.jpg http://www.biblewheel.com/art/Gethsemane_Macedonia.gif

The image on the right is the prototype of the icon, from the 13th century. So this is not a "new idea." I don't know if that is when the form originated, its just the oldest example I could find of it.

Comments? Questions?

Victor
06-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Richard,

I would like to share something about what happened the other week. On Tuesday, May 29th, I was moved to research more about the tri-radiant halo. I spent about 20 minutes on the Web searching for evidence that artists didn't think that there should be a fourth ray there. I didn't have much time to search, so I left it at that, hoping that I could dig more in the future.

On the following day, I went to the "What's New?" page in BW.com. There it was: a full article on the subject! I find it impressive that we were thinking of exactly the same thing although none of us knew we were doing the same research! I guess it's time for us to go deeper in the matter!

Sources say that the three rays represent the Trinity, and so the cruciform halo is found only in images of the Father, the Spirit, and, of course, the Son. If you look through thousands of icons, paintings and all that, you'll find confirmation of that fact. So that's one piece of evidence that there are only three rays in the artists' minds when they portray the Lord.

I've been searching for images that have three-dimensional cruciform halos. Has anyone found any? They are more rare cause it's more difficult to draw the halo in perspective, I guess. Anyway, this thread could be a gallery of any findings we might have among the plethora of pieces of art that picture the tri-radiant halo.

Do you have any more images that show that there's not an implicit fourth ray in the artists' minds? Also, do you or anyone else have any insights on the isomorphism between the Orb in Christ's hands and His halo in Angelico's painting?

Richard Amiel McGough
06-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Richard,

I would like to share something about what happened the other week. On Tuesday, May 29th, I was moved to research more about the tri-radiant halo. I spent about 20 minutes on the Web searching for evidence that artists didn't think that there should be a fourth ray there. I didn't have much time to search, so I left it at that, hoping that I could dig more in the future.

On the following day, I went to the "What's New?" page in BW.com. There it was: a full article on the subject! I find it impressive that we were thinking of exactly the same thing although none of us knew we were doing the same research! I guess it's time for us to go deeper in the matter!
Victor,

I am deeply moved by that "coincidence" of timing. Its the kind of thing that bears witness in the soul that it is moving along the lines God intends. At least that's what it means to me. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Sources say that the three rays represent the Trinity, and so the cruciform halo is found only in images of the Father, the Spirit, and, of course, the Son. If you look through thousands of icons, paintings and all that, you'll find confirmation of that fact. So that's one piece of evidence that there are only three rays in the artists' minds when they portray the Lord.
The sources are correct. Its also important to note that amongst all the branches of the Body of Christ, the Eastern Orthodox are the most artistic, and are the most responsible for the "canons of iconography." And what do the Greeks think of as the Cross? They naturally associate it with the three arm Greek Tau = T as apposed to the Latin style . So that too could have been used of God to guide them towards the design that "just happens" to be isomorphic to the structure of His Word!

As an aside, this strongly links to the thread called Analogies between the Living and the Written Word (http://www.biblewheel.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=25) because the icon represents the Living Word of God (Jesus Christ, the human figure) with a halo that looks like the Written Word of God.

I've been searching for images that have three-dimensional cruciform halos. Has anyone found any? They are more rare cause it's more difficult to draw the halo in perspective, I guess. Anyway, this thread could be a gallery of any findings we might have among the plethora of pieces of art that picture the tri-radiant halo.

Do you have any more images that show that there's not an implicit fourth ray in the artists' minds? Also, do you or anyone else have any insights on the isomorphism between the Orb in Christ's hands and His halo in Angelico's painting?

YES! This would be a great place to collect art with the tri-radiant halo.

As for the orb, I was going to comment on it, but decided to just post the article because I felt some strange "time constraint" like I had better try to get the article out quickly, and update it later. Now I know why! Praise God who guides the feet (and postings) of His people!

Richard

Victor
06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Something just crossed my mind on this subject.

For a long time I've found it a little disturbing that the value of the Greek letter correspondent to Tav was 300. Tau = 300. That didn't quite seem right because it didn't directly link to the Cross, based on the archetype of the Number 4. Tav (Hebrew) = Mark,Sign = 400 (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_400.asp), which makes all the sense. But Tau...? :confused:

But it is all so clear now! Tau is the T, which has only three arms, and history gives us the fact that the tree rays in the halo were recognized as the Greek letter Tau! So, instead of the Fourfold Cross = four hundred, the cruciform halo gives us the three-armed T = tree hundred. The implications are immediate: it links to the Trinity! Can God make it any easier?

But this finding goes much deeper. What is the meaning of 300 (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_300.asp) in Hebrew? It is the value of the letter Shin, the only "tree-rayed" letter!. In the Bible Wheel, the central book on the Spoke corresponding to Shin is the Gospel of John, the book of the Bible that goes deepest into the theology of the relationship between the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

But there's more: 300 is a triangular number! It is a triangle supported by the number 24, which means that Tri(24) = 300. In Book 24 and only there we find the following title of God (Jer 32:18):

HaEl HaGadol HaGebor = 300

which literally means The God, The Great, the Mighty. Each name is prefixed with the definite article Hey. Behold the Wisdom of God! This threefold Hey is linked to the geometry of the number five. We've learned that the canonical divisions are defined by numbers of the pentagonal number sequence (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_Figurate.asp#pent) (5, 12, 22). And these canonical divisions coincide with the three rays of the classical image of the Divine Halo!

The title itself revolves around titles based on Guimel, the Third Letter! God is Great (Gadol) and Mighty (Gebor). Note the interplay of Three and Five.

And there's more: when we prefix the Hebrew word for Wheel with Hey we have HaGalgal. The full value of this word is 300! There are too many convergences here!

Praise the Great and Mighty Artist!

Richard Amiel McGough
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Something just crossed my mind on this subject.

For a long time I've found it a little disturbing that the value of the Greek letter correspondent to Tav was 300. Tau = 300. That didn't quite seem right because it didn't directly link to the Cross, based on the archetype of the Number 4. Tav (Hebrew) = Mark,Sign = 400 (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_400.asp), which makes all the sense. But Tau...? :confused:

But it is all so clear now! Tau is the T, which has only three arms, and history gives us the fact that the tree rays in the halo were recognized as the Greek letter Tau! So, instead of the Fourfold Cross = four hundred, the cruciform halo gives us the three-armed T = tree hundred. The implications are immediate: it links to the Trinity! Can God make it any easier?

But this finding goes much deeper. What is the meaning of 300 (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_300.asp) in Hebrew? It is the value of the letter Shin, the only "tree-rayed" letter!. In the Bible Wheel, the central book on the Spoke corresponding to Shin is the Gospel of John, the book of the Bible that goes deepest into the theology of the relationship between the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

But there's more: 300 is a triangular number! It is a triangle supported by the number 24, which means that Tri(24) = 300. In Book 24 and only there we find the following title of God (Jer 32:18):

HaEl HaGadol HaGebor = 300

which literally means The God, The Great, the Mighty. Each name is prefixed with the definite article Hey. Behold the Wisdom of God! This threefold Hey is linked to the geometry of the number five. We've learned that the canonical divisions are defined by numbers of the pentagonal number sequence (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_Figurate.asp#pent) (5, 12, 22). And these canonical divisions coincide with the three rays of the classical image of the Divine Halo!

The title itself revolves around titles based on Guimel, the Third Letter! God is Great (Gadol) and Mighty (Gebor). Note the interplay of Three and Five.

And there's more: when we prefix the Hebrew word for Wheel with Hey we have HaGalgal. The full value of this word is 300! There are too many convergences here!

Praise the Great and Mighty Artist!
Victor!

What glorious insights! What a blessing to watch the Word of God unfold within your ready mind.

1 Corinthians 2:16 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Blessings Brother!

Edit to add: I just noticed that Tri(24) = 300 relates also to the fact that Tau = 300 is Greek, and Greek has 24 letters.

Stephen
06-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Gentlemen,

Just a note that while biblical Greek has 24 letters, the same symbol system is supplemented scripturally by at least one extra symbol, a 25th character representing an additional numerical entity. This is the character digamma, or stigma, which represents the number 6. It is famously found at Revelation 13:18 as part of the number 666.

It may be that the NT also uses qoppa to represent 90, I haven't ever thought to check for it.

If we allow that the number 666 be represented alphanumerically rather than written out as words, the phrase 'kai o arithmos autou 666' would sum to 2368 = Ihsous Xpistos (Jesus Christ). This would conceivably add another level of meaning to the interpretation of this verse, suggesting, in my opinion, some sort of imitation of, or replacement for, Jesus Christ.

Concerning the form of the letter tau, the palaeo-Hebrew symbol is unequivocally the traditional four-pointed cross. It is possible this letter received its form from the stars in the Southern Cross. The Southern Cross represented the limit for visible constellations at the time of the formation of the early alphabet. In this respect, it would be an appropriate symbol for representing the last character of the alphabet. Since about Jesus' time the Southern Cross ceased to be visible from the Holy Land, or so I have read.

Stephen

Victor
06-11-2007, 12:09 AM
I would like to share what I have just found. I'm recapping my previous post first.

1) Tau is a letter having a numerical value of 300. Since the three rays in the Christ Pantokrator icon are a Tau, these three rays are directly related to the number 300. This fact is further confirmation that they represent the Trinity and that the cruciform halo does not have a fourth, implicit, ray.

2) Tau is Greek. When we "translate" the symbols in the icon to Hebrew, we deepen our understanding of the meaning of Christ Pantokrator. Tau = 300 = Shin, the three-rayed letter!

3) We find a threefold title of God that has a value of 300. (HaEl, HaGadol, HaGebor, Jeremiah 32:18)

4) The shorthand of this title is ה ה ה (Hey, Hey, Hey). That's what I would call Hebrew Nomina Sacra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomina_sacra)!

5) The Fifth letter Hey represents the canonical divisions, since they are all based on pentagonal numbers. The canonical divisions have the same cross-shaped form in the Wheel as the three rays in the icon. The triple Hey represents and confirms these three rays.

The conclusion is clear: the three rays (T = 300) in the cruciform halo are prophetically antecipated by the internal structure of a Divine threefold title that equals 300!

6) And more! When the word for Wheel is prefixed with the definite article Hey, we have a "definite Wheel", a Wheel marked with Hey, the Canon Wheel! HaGalgal = 300 (full).

But this is only for a start. The classic image of the Christ Pantocrator icon has an element that reinforces all that we have seen now and adds even more theological content.

http://www.museevirtuel.ca/Exhibitions/Annodomini/THEME_05/IMAGES/Christ_Pantocrator.jpg

Many icons of the Pantocrator (= Almighty) have three Greek letters written on the three rays: Omicron Omega Nu, spelling Ho On, which is the Greek translation of God's Great Name I AM in Exodus 3.14. Exodus is the book of Names. It introduces to us the meaning of God's name Yahweh as being the great I AM, the Self-Existent one, from eternity to eternity. The root of this name is the verb Hayah - To Be - a Hey KeyWord. It has long been noted that God's Name (יהוה) reflects the three tenses of being:

There was (Hayah) http://www.biblewheel.com/images/hayah.gif
There is (Havah) http://www.biblewheel.com/images/havah.gif
There will be (Yahi) http://www.biblewheel.com/images/yahi.gif

Past, present and future - the Eternity - are thus represented by the threefold Hey - the Letter of Being, the common letter in all three tenses. As it is written: "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, (1) which is, and (2) which was, and (3) which is to come, the Almighty (Pantocrator)" - Rev 1:8

What happens when we translate Ho On into a Hebrew "Nomina Sacra" in the Pantocrator icon? The letter Hey would be written thrice, once in each ray! We therefore witness an stupendous confluence of the threefold Hey in connection with the three rays in three different and totally independent ways:
(1) As the letter that defines the threefold title of God numerically equivalent to 300, the number of the tri-radiant cross;
(1) As the letter pinpointing the canonical divisions that determine the cruciform halo;
(2) As the letter that can be written in the three arms when we "translate" the icon into Hebrew.

What extraordinary confluence of theological concepts! What powerful proof that our God is really I AM THAT I AM!

But there's more! The verse that introduces God's personal Name is indexed by a number that has direct bearing on the subject at hand:

Exodus 3.14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

The index of the verse instantly reminds us of Pi (Pi = 3.14 aprox.), universally recognized as the number representing the Circle, the shape of the nimbus around the Christ Pantocrator, the Great I AM!

Even the name given to the most common representation of the Lord in Art is prophetically antecipated in the Bible! When we translate Pantocrator into Hebrew, we have Shaddai. And what's the numeric value of Shaddai? 314! Glory to the Almighty God!

It all started with Tau = 300 = Shin. In the Spoke corresponding to Shin in the Bible Wheel we find the Gospel of John, the I AM Gospel, where our Lord repeatedly asserts his Divine Nature (John 8.58). (Note that I AM = 21 = ordinal position of Shin)

Indeed, all the key concepts in this study were drawn from Spokes 21 and 2. The name I AM debuts on Spoke 2 (Exodus) and is developed on Spoke 21 (John). Spoke 21 and Spoke 2 share many common concepts. For example, the Hebrew name of the Second Book is Names, and Name (Shem) is a Shin KeyWord. There are many other common themes (e.g., Bet = house, Shakan = to dwell). Looking at the Wheel, we find that Spoke 21 is a reflection of Spoke 2 over the Wheel's axis of symmetry. Spoke 21 mirrors Spoke 2.

The names of God considered here (I AM THAT I AM and The God The Great The Mighty) are all found in either Exodus and Jeremiah, on Spoke 2. Truly, the whole study is based on the icon of Christ Pantocrator, an image of God the Word. And the concept of Image and Reflection itself is based upon the number Two... Will there ever be an end to this wonder?

I'll leave with a final alphanumeric identity that strongly links to the idea of Image and Icon:

Christ Pantocrator = 3302 = 26 (YHVH) X 127 (King of Glory)

Christ Pantocrator = Yahweh, the King of Glory!

Two names of God! Both introduced on Spoke 2 - YWVW (Genesis 2, Exodus) and King of Glory (Psalm 24, 1 Corinthians (http://www.biblewheel.com/InnerWheels/Psalms/Psalm24_King.asp))! Glory to God!!

We give thee thanks, O (1) Lord (2) God (3) Almighty, which (1) art, and (2) wast, and (3) art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.

- Revelation 11:17

shalag
06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
4) The shorthand of this title is ה ה ה (Hey, Hey, Hey). That's what I would call Hebrew Nomina Sacra!

Hei Hei Hei is used once in Scripture:

Eze [26/Jehovah] 30:2 [32/heart] (58/grace) Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Howl ye, Woe worth the day!

Victor
06-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Hei Hei Hei is used once in Scripture:

Eze [26/Jehovah] 30:2 [32/heart] (58/grace) Son of man, prophesy and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Howl ye, Woe worth the day!

Hi Shalag! I went to the Hebrew text and found only a double Hey, in the word Woe. It's a triple Hey only when one considers the Hey in the beginning of the previous word. Is that what you have in mind?

The triple Hey was impressive to me because I've always interpreted the three tenses implicit in the Divine Name as Hey (Past), Hey (Present), Hey (Future). So it was quite an impact when I realized that the three Greek letters meaning The Being in the arms of the halo could be "translated" as Hey Hey Hey (from Hayah, to be, to cause to be, AV Lam 3.14).

Victor

shalag
06-11-2007, 11:52 PM
I got that from http://www.searchgodsword.org/lex/heb/browse.cgi?letter=h&sn=41&pn=3 entry number 01929

Upon searching the Hebrew English Bible I also see only two Hei's.

Richard Amiel McGough
06-12-2007, 10:48 AM
I would like to share what I have just found. I'm recapping my previous post first.

1) Tau is a letter having a numerical value of 300. Since the three rays in the Christ Pantokrator icon are a Tau, these three rays are directly related to the number 300. This fact is further confirmation that they represent the Trinity and that the cruciform halo does not have a fourth, implicit, ray.
Note also that the earliest Christian writings use the Greek Tau as evidenced by the use of the Number 300 in the Letter of Barnabus (http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/barnabas-lake.html) from the late first or early second century:

Learn fully then, children of love, concerning all things, for Abraham, who first circumcised, did so looking forward in the spirit to Jesus, and had received the doctrines of three letters. For it says, "And Abraham circumcised from his household eighteen men and three hundred." What then was the knowledge that was given to him? Notice that he first mentions the eighteen, and after a pause the three hundred. The eighteen is I (=ten) and H (=8) -- you have [the first two letters of] Jesus -- and because the cross was destined to have grace in the T he says "and three hundred." So he indicates Jesus in the two letters and the cross in the other.

This also shows the homiletical use of gemtria in the early church, a very important point when attacked by modernist theologians who think the "grammatical/historical" method is the only valid approach to Scripture.

2) Tau is Greek. When we "translate" the symbols in the icon to Hebrew, we deepen our understanding of the meaning of Christ Pantokrator. Tau = 300 = Shin, the three-rayed letter!
That is truly amazing. I had not "consciously" realized that before. But it was kinda "floating in the background" ... along with ten thousand other flickers of God's Wisdom glittering like snowflakes falling from heaven.

3) We find a threefold title of God that has a value of 300. (HaEl, HaGadol, HaGebor, Jeremiah 32:18)

4) The shorthand of this title is ה ה ה (Hey, Hey, Hey). That's what I would call Hebrew Nomina Sacra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomina_sacra)!
Like AAA = Aleph Aleph Aleph of Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh (I AM THAT I AM) which you touch on below!

5) The Fifth letter Hey represents the canonical divisions, since they are all based on pentagonal numbers. The canonical divisions have the same cross-shaped form in the Wheel as the three rays in the icon. The triple Hey represents and confirms these three rays.

The conclusion is clear: the three rays (T = 300) in the cruciform halo are prophetically antecipated by the internal structure of a Divine threefold title that equals 300!
Correct. And this is amplified by writing the Number 300 as a symmetric product:

300 = 5 x 12 x 5

and 22 = 5 + 12 + 5 is the exact pattern of the divisions on the Canon Wheel I didn't notice this until your post. Thanks!

6) And more! When the word for Wheel is prefixed with the definite article Hey, we have a "definite Wheel", a Wheel marked with Hey, the Canon Wheel! HaGalgal = 300 (full).
And of course, we know who designed the Bible Wheel:

The Spirit of God (Ruach Elohim) = 300

But this is only for a start. The classic image of the Christ Pantocrator icon has an element that reinforces all that we have seen now and adds even more theological content.

<snipped pic for space, see above>

Many icons of the Pantocrator (= Almighty) have three Greek letters written on the three rays: Omicron Omega Nu, spelling Ho On, which is the Greek translation of God's Great Name I AM in Exodus 3.14. Exodus is the book of Names. It introduces to us the meaning of God's name Yahweh as being the great I AM, the Self-Existent one, from eternity to eternity. The root of this name is the verb Hayah - To Be - a Hey KeyWord. It has long been noted that God's Name (יהוה) reflects the three tenses of being:

There was (Hayah) http://www.biblewheel.com/images/hayah.gif
There is (Havah) http://www.biblewheel.com/images/havah.gif
There will be (Yahi) http://www.biblewheel.com/images/yahi.gif

Past, present and future - the Eternity - are thus represented by the threefold Hey - the Letter of Being, the common letter in all three tenses. As it is written: "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, (1) which is, and (2) which was, and (3) which is to come, the Almighty (Pantocrator)" - Rev 1:8

What happens when we translate Ho On into a Hebrew "Nomina Sacra" in the Pantocrator icon? The letter Hey would be written thrice, once in each ray! We therefore witness an stupendous confluence of the threefold Hey in connection with the three rays in three different and totally independent ways:
(1) As the letter that defines the threefold title of God numerically equivalent to 300, the number of the tri-radiant cross;
(1) As the letter pinpointing the canonical divisions that determine the cruciform halo;
(2) As the letter that can be written in the three arms when we "translate" the icon into Hebrew.

What extraordinary confluence of theological concepts! What powerful proof that our God is really I AM THAT I AM!
Yes indeed, especially since I AM THAT I AM forms the nomina sacra of

ALEPH ALEPH ALEPH

And the full spelling of Aleph = 111 (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_111.asp), which repeats the same concept of three-in-one Trinity of God ..... obviosly designed by our Triune God, what can I say but .....HALLELUJAH!

But there's more!
Oh really? Where did you ever get such an idea? :lol:

The verse that introduces God's personal Name is indexed by a number that has direct bearing on the subject at hand:

Exodus 3.14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Amen! There really is something going on with those "verse numbers." Of course, it makes perfect sense to me, since that's what I'd do if I had eternity on my hands, and I wanted to express myself in the ultimate linguistic holograph of infinite Wisdom!

The index of the verse instantly reminds us of Pi (Pi = 3.14 aprox.), universally recognized as the number representing the Circle, the shape of the nimbus around the Christ Pantocrator, the Great I AM!

Even the name given to the most common representation of the Lord in Art is prophetically antecipated in the Bible! When we translate Pantocrator into Hebrew, we have Shaddai. And what's the numeric value of Shaddai? 314! Glory to the Almighty God!
Amen indeed! Note also that He used Pi to design His Book:

Biblos (Book) = 314

And what do we see when "heaven" (taken a type of the "Heavenly Book" = the Bible) is rolled up like a scroll?

Revelation 6:14-17 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. 15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

We see His face, prophetically anticipated for over a thousand years in the icons produced by His people! The revelation of the Bible Wheel has some pretty interesting ramifications for the nature of the "Final Judgment" and how the people are going to "see His face".

And let us not forget that this is the book "sealed with seven seals" and that the best approximation to pi with a 2 digit numerator is 22/7 -- 22 Spokes, 7 divisions ....

It all started with Tau = 300 = Shin. In the Spoke corresponding to Shin in the Bible Wheel we find the Gospel of John, the I AM Gospel, where our Lord repeatedly asserts his Divine Nature (John 8.58). (Note that I AM = 21 = ordinal position of Shin)
That's a powerful correlation that also links Isaiah 43 to Book 43 = John as explained here (http://www.biblewheel.com/InnerWheels/Isaiah/Isaiah43.asp).

Indeed, all the key concepts in this study were drawn from Spokes 21 and 2. The name I AM debuts on Spoke 2 (Exodus) and is developed on Spoke 21 (John). Spoke 21 and Spoke 2 share many common concepts. For example, the Hebrew name of the Second Book is Names, and Name (Shem) is a Shin KeyWord. There are many other common themes (e.g., Bet = house, Shakan = to dwell). Looking at the Wheel, we find that Spoke 21 is a reflection of Spoke 2 over the Wheel's axis of symmetry. Spoke 21 mirrors Spoke 2.
Thank God for those eyes He gave you, Victor! That symmetry is extremely important. Note that all the letters of Bereshit are symmtrically placed at the top of the Wheel except the Yod which is diametrically opposed:

B R A Sh Y T

The sum of the ordinal values of the three pairs of letters in the order they appear:

B+R = 22
A+Sh = 22
Y+T= 10 + 22 = 32

The names of God considered here (I AM THAT I AM and The God The Great The Mighty) are all found in either Exodus and Jeremiah, on Spoke 2. Truly, the whole study is based on the icon of Christ Pantocrator, an image of God the Word. And the concept of Image and Reflection itself is based upon the number Two... Will there ever be an end to this wonder?
I can quite confidently assure you that the answer to the question concerning the possibility of an "end to this wonder" is most definitely found in the negative, praise God! :lol:

I'll leave with a final alphanumeric identity that strongly links to the idea of Image and Icon:

Christ Pantocrator = 3302 = 26 (YHVH) X 127 (King of Glory)

Christ Pantocrator = Yahweh, the King of Glory!

Two names of God! Both introduced on Spoke 2 - YWVW (Genesis 2, Exodus) and King of Glory (Psalm 24, 1 Corinthians (http://www.biblewheel.com/InnerWheels/Psalms/Psalm24_King.asp))! Glory to God!!

And I will leave you with another alphanumeric identity that strongly links to the icon, and Genesis 1:1, and the structure of the Holy Word in the form of the Wheel (22 Spokes):

The Pantocrator (Ho Pantocrator) = 1822 = 22 x 911

911 (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_911.asp) = Reshith (Beginnning, Gen 1:1, first verse)

911 = Charis (Grace, Rev 22:21, last verse)

22 Spokes from the Almighty God!

Amen!

We give thee thanks, O (1) Lord (2) God (3) Almighty, which (1) art, and (2) wast, and (3) art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.

- Revelation 11:17

:pray: Amen! Amen!! Amen!!! :pray:

Richard Amiel McGough
06-14-2007, 11:54 AM
There are two spellings of Menorah.

6 occurrences use the Vav: MNWRH = 301

17 occurrences lack the Vav = MNRH = 295

The word menorah occurs 17 times with the definite article.

4 such occurrences use the Vav: HMNWRH = 306

13 such occurrences lack the Vav: HMNRH = 300

Thus, the large majority of occurrences (13 of 17 = 76&#37;) of menorah with the definite article yield the value:

The Menorah (HaMenorah) = 300 = Shin

Note also that the Menorah looks like two Shins stuck together, and two Shins spell the word shesh which is the masculine form of the word for "six" and shesh (six) = 300 + 300 = 600 = kosmos (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_600.asp) (Greek) which was completed on the Sixth Day. Thus, the creation of the World, and the Sabbath that follows, is eternally engraved in the structure of the Menorah and simultaneously encoded in the united alphanumeric structure of the Hebrew and Greek languages! And all of this coheres with the plain message taught in the plain text of Scripture concerning the creation of the world in Six Days! There is no end to the glory revealed here!

But there's more, of course. The connection of the Menorah with the Fire-letter Shin (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_300.asp) seems to have been known since ancient times when the Jews set the menorah on a base that looks like an inverted shin:

http://www.livius.org/a/germany/koeln/cologne_menorah.JPG

See more here (http://www.livius.org/te-tg/temple-treasure/menorah.html).

And there is still more. I made a major discovery yesterday. The word translated as "branches" in the description of the menorah is qaneh, the root of the Greek word kanon, which has been used since about the third century to denote the Canon of Scripture!

This is yet another confirmation that the branches of the menorah represent the seven canonical divisions (http://www.biblewheel.com/canon/sevenfoldcanon.asp) of the Holy Bible:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/Menorah_small.gif

Yet there is still more ... God decreed that each of the side branches, the "canons", should have three triplets consisting of cup (bowl) like an almond, a kaphtor (knob), and a flower. The central shaft has four triplets. The structure therefore has 22 triplets of a bowl,knob,flower.

Do we know of anything else that is characterized by "22 triplets"?

Hummm .... thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking ....

I got it!

The Bible Wheel is composed of 22 Spoke with three books on each spoke!

Well now .... that's an interesting "coincidence" ....

My project to day is to get an article written on the correlation between the 22 triplets with the 22 Spokes.

Any insights would be most appreciated.

RAM

Victor
06-15-2007, 02:32 PM
As always, there are too many things to say!

I will comment backwards. First the 66 ornaments in the Menorah (3 X 22). This is an old one - the 3 X 22 pattern was obvious to me years ago, but once again I didn't share it with you 'cause I thought you had already seen it and you didn't want to crowd the study with too much information; also, there were a few things that would still need more attention, like the symbolic meanings of the bowls, knops and flowers and how to arrange the canonical divisions with the books and other stuff. :o

In fact, some teachers have argued that the 66 is the correct number of books in Scripture because the Menorah had 66 pieces of decoration and the Word is a lamp. Adding up these two factors, they said that the Bible authenticates the number of its books.

But the real stunning discovery now is something so obvious and I missed it: The Hebrew word for Canon is the name used to describe the branches (canonical divisions) of the Menorah! I get puzzled just about every day! The canonical structure of the Bible is prophesied in Exodus 25! (Note that Book 25 has a similar canonical structure, 7 X 22 verses, with the seventh set of 22 verses set apart from the rest for being non-alphabetical).

And there's so much more to say...

Victor

Victor
06-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Here are a couple of quotes on the subject:

No Room for the Gospel of Judas (Bill Sizemore - http://www.newswithviews.com/Bill/sizemore40.htm)

So, why did God tell Moses to make the golden candlestick out of pure gold? What did the seeds, buds, and flowers symbolize? Why give exact numbers of buds, seeds and flowers? What was the function of this article of furniture? What was God telling us by giving Moses such specific instructions as to its construction and design? What truths were hidden there for us to discover?

Hidden? Are you saying God hides stuff? Absolutely. God glories in hiding things. Proverbs 25:1 says, 'It is the glory of God to conceal a thing and the honor of kings to search out a matter.' He hides treasures so those who are earnest about seeking Him will find what the causal seeker will not.

(...) You see, if you add up all of the little seeds, buds, and flowers that make up the one candlestick, you find that there are 66 of them. That’s pretty amazing. Sixty-six is the exact number of books that make up the Bible, the Old and New Testaments combined. The 12 symbols that make up the center post and the fifty-four that make up the six arms add up to sixty-six, forming a perfect picture of the Bible that was not going to be finished and canonized until centuries later.

That’s why it was so important that the candlestick be built according to the pattern shown to Moses by God on the mountain, right down to the last detail.

To some, this will be nothing more than a curious coincidence. It will mean nothing to you. Some will think I am nuts for writing this. So be it.

I trust that many of you, however, will find the same assurance in this amazing 'coincidence' that I found when one of my college professors revealed it to us in class some 35 years ago.

The Tabernacle Study Series (Dove Light Ministries - http://www.spiritjournals.com/The%20Tabernacle%20Of%20Moses%20Study/Lessons/lesson10.htm)

Sixty-Six - When the Bowls, the Knops and the Flowers on the shaft and the six branches are totaled we have a beautiful picture of the Books of the Bible. There were three groups of Bowls, Knops and Flowers in the three branches on one side. If we add the 12 in the main shaft we have a total of 39, which speaks to us of the Books of the Old Covenant. Then the remaining branches total 27 corresponding to the 27 books of the New Covenant. The complete total is 66. It has pleased God to give us His Book containing 66 books yet one BIBLE.

There is also the following amazing link between Exodus and Jeremiah on Spoke 2:

Exo 25:31 And thou shalt make a candlestick of pure gold: of beaten work shall the candlestick be made: his shaft, and his branches, his bowls, his knops, and his flowers, shall be of the same.
Exo 25:32 And six branches shall come out of the sides of it; three branches of the candlestick out of the one side, and three branches of the candlestick out of the other side:
Exo 25:33 Three bowls made like unto almonds, with a knop and a flower in one branch; and three bowls made like almonds in the other branch, with a knop and a flower: so in the six branches that come out of the candlestick.

Jer 1:11 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Jeremiah, what seest thou? And I said, I see a rod of an almond tree.
Jer 1:12 Then said the LORD unto me, Thou hast well seen: for I will hasten my word to perform it.

There's more on this last verse in the article Jeremiah: The Word (http://www.biblewheel.com/wheel/spokes/Beyt_Word1.asp). The link between these verses is based on the Spoke 2 concept of the Word.

Victor

Richard Amiel McGough
06-16-2007, 10:22 PM
As always, there are too many things to say!

I will comment backwards. First the 66 ornaments in the Menorah (3 X 22). This is an old one - the 3 X 22 pattern was obvious to me years ago, but once again I didn't share it with you 'cause I thought you had already seen it and you didn't want to crowd the study with too much information; also, there were a few things that would still need more attention, like the symbolic meanings of the bowls, knops and flowers and how to arrange the canonical divisions with the books and other stuff. :o

In fact, some teachers have argued that the 66 is the correct number of books in Scripture because the Menorah had 66 pieces of decoration and the Word is a lamp. Adding up these two factors, they said that the Bible authenticates the number of its books.
Victor

Hey Victor,

There is some very heavy synchonicity going on here. It really feels like God is guiding us as a group into deeper understanding. You were correct that I already "knew" about the 66 decorations (bowls, knops, flowers), but the Spirit had not quickened it in my understanding, so it never developed into anything. Then just about two weeks ago, on June 4 to be exact, I got an email with this message:

I stumbled across your site today doing a Google search. I'm trying to put together good arguments on the sealed canon of 66 books. I have the scriptural arguments fairly solid, but I'm working on the providential 'clues' that God has given us (I've studied much on the Isaiah chapter divisions and this alone would be sufficient - but I'm gathering all the arguments). I believe the two rows of 6 loaves on the table of shewbread points to the Canon (representing the ones and tens place and thus 66). I once had a teacher, who was a Hebrew scholar, teach that the Menorah or candlestick pointed to 66 books. I got him to explain this after class, I forget how now and he's now dead. You mentioned the 22 bowls. Is there some connection that makes this point to the number 66 (22 times 3 or something)?
This email prompted me to look at the 66 decorations and this time I was strongly impressed by their seeming significance, so wrote this update to my Bible as Menorah (http://www.biblewheel.com/Topics/menorah.asp) article:

Yet there is still more. Each side branch has three sets of three items - three bowls, each with a "knop" and a "flower." The central branch has four sets of the same three items. Thus, the numerical arrangement of these decorations follow a symmetric pattern on the seven branches:

9 + 9 + 9 + 12 + 9 + 9 + 9

The number of these "decorations" sums to 66, the number of books in the Bible. Furthermore, the sum subdivides into the sum of the first four (9 + 9 + 9 + 9 + 12 = 39) and the last three (9 + 9 + 9 = 27) to give the number of books in the Old and New Testaments. Putting it all together, we see that the Bible and the Menorah have a large set of structural numbers in common:
7 Branches [Canonical Divisions] symmetrically displayed
3 Branches [Canonical Divisions] are paired, with one set apart.
22 Bowls [Hebrew Letters]
66 Decorations [Books] that subdivide into groups of 39 and 27Given the fact that God calls His Word a "Lamp", and that He designed the Menorah Himself, there can be no conclusion but that the Menorah was designed as a prophecy (http://www.biblewheel.com/Forum/../Art/Sign_of_Deity.asp) of the completed structure of His Word in the form of the Wheel, fully integrated with the 22 Hebrew letters.

Then last Tuesday I received a book called The Lord's Sixty-Six Spiritual Principles of Truth (http://www.christgospel.org/catalog/D-1014.html) which I had ordered on May 29 after someone who saw my site strongly recommended it, saying it would really bless me. I had no idea about the actual content of the book. Imagine my surprise when I opened it and read the following:

It is no accident that the Holy Bible consists of sixty-six books. When God gave Moses the blueprint for the Tabernacle and its furniture, HE included a Golden Candlestick with sixty-six bowls, knops, and flowers. which represented the wisdom, understanding, and knowledge of the Bible. ...

The explanation continues along the lines of what we have been discussing here.

God used Hick's book to spark a fresh look into the Menorah and its relation to the Canon. That's when I discovered that the branches are literally called the "canes" or "canons" of the Menorah! I was absolutely stunned!

So this convinced me that the 22 triplets of the bowls, knops, and flowers, must correspond to the Bible Wheel, and so I set my mind and heart to gaze upon God's design of the Menorah. Then it became clear. The Menorah simultaneously reveals two patterns that relate to the Bible Wheel. The most obvious has been documented for years. The seven branches correspond to the seven canonical divisions. The other was difficult to see at first because I thought it must be commensurate with the first, whereas it actually is independent. The 22 triplets correspond to the 22 Spokes that each have a triplet of books. This is too obvious to doubt. But how do they correspond? Gazing at the wheel, I noticed the line of bilateral symmetry divides between four spokes Aleph Tav and Kaph Lamed. These letters spell "Et - Kol" meaning everything, as discussed on my site. These four Spokes correspond to the four triplets on the line of bilateral symmetry of the Menorah, which is its central shaft. The three paired branches then map symmetrically onto the remaining 18 spokes as seen in the diagram below, which also shows the Et-Kol and the four triplets from the central shaft:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/menorah_wheel.gif

So there it is .... the Menorah simultaneously represents (through two independent schemata) the seven canonical divisions and the structure of the 66 books displayed on 22 Spokes and 3 Cycles. And this, of course, gives a second view of the "bowl" (gullah = revealer) above the Menorah revealed in Zechariah 4, as discussed in the Capstone (http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Capstone.asp) article:

http://www.biblewheel.com/Art/ZechTrees_4b.jpg

There's more to say, but it is late ... and there's always tomorrow!

Richard

Richard Amiel McGough
06-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Here are a couple of quotes on the subject:

No Room for the Gospel of Judas (Bill Sizemore - http://www.newswithviews.com/Bill/sizemore40.htm)

The Tabernacle Study Series (Dove Light Ministries - http://www.spiritjournals.com/The%20Tabernacle%20Of%20Moses%20Study/Lessons/lesson10.htm)

The witnesses are multiplying. The correlation between the 22 triplets and the 66 books has been known for years, but people have not had a second witness to confirm it, so they were hesitant to proclaim it as a definite work of God. The Bible Wheel now confirms what the Spirit-led children of God have known for years. And they in turn confirm the Bible Wheel. And so it goes ... we have the mutual confirmation of manifold witnesses to the divine design of the Holy Bible! Praise God all ye who fear Him!

There is also the following amazing link between Exodus and Jeremiah on Spoke 2:

Exo 25:31 And thou shalt make a candlestick of pure gold: of beaten work shall the candlestick be made: his shaft, and his branches, his bowls, his knops, and his flowers, shall be of the same.
Exo 25:32 And six branches shall come out of the sides of it; three branches of the candlestick out of the one side, and three branches of the candlestick out of the other side:
Exo 25:33 Three bowls made like unto almonds, with a knop and a flower in one branch; and three bowls made like almonds in the other branch, with a knop and a flower: so in the six branches that come out of the candlestick.

Jer 1:11 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Jeremiah, what seest thou? And I said, I see a rod of an almond tree.
Jer 1:12 Then said the LORD unto me, Thou hast well seen: for I will hasten my word to perform it.

There's more on this last verse in the article Jeremiah: The Word (http://www.biblewheel.com/wheel/spokes/Beyt_Word1.asp). The link between these verses is based on the Spoke 2 concept of the Word.

Victor
That is extremely significant. You noted the connection with almonds. The word for almond is shaqed, which is an anagram of qadosh (holy) and the Rod is a symbol of the Word, so the rod of almond is a symbol of God's Holy Word, and it recalls Aaron's rod that budded.

Thanks for that link Victor. There is much more to say, but its late.

Richard

Victor
06-17-2007, 06:52 PM
You were correct that I already "knew" about the 66 decorations (bowls, knops, flowers), but the Spirit had not quickened it in my understanding, so it never developed into anything.

I'm glad you noticed it. I noted the 22 X 3 pattern, but was stubling over other facts, like: if a branch is a canonical division, how come it has nine decorations in it? I knew there was something greater to be revealed, something that would harmonize the sixty-six decorations with the seven branches. And now we see how you have been blessed by the Lord. What you write above is the simple and direct solution! Glory to God!

The Menorah simultaneously reveals two patterns that relate to the Bible Wheel. The most obvious has been documented for years. The seven branches correspond to the seven canonical divisions. The other was difficult to see at first because I thought it must be commensurate with the first, whereas it actually is independent. [I thought the same thing...] The 22 triplets correspond to the 22 Spokes that each have a triplet of books. This is too obvious to doubt. But how do they correspond? Gazing at the wheel, I noticed the line of bilateral symmetry divides between four spokes Aleph Tav and Kaph Lamed. These letters spell "Et - Kol" meaning everything, as discussed on my site. These four Spokes correspond to the four triplets on the line of bilateral symmetry of the Menorah, which is its central shaft. The three paired branches then map symmetrically onto the remaining 18 spokes as seen in the diagram below, which also shows the Et-Kol and the four triplets from the central shaft:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/menorah_wheel.gif

That's it! The Menorah is a multifaceted prophecy of the structure of the Bible! Talk about a MAJOR discovery!

Indeed, "thy Word is a Lamp (Ner)" (Psa 119.105) Ner is the root of the word Menorah. Ner links to Zephaniah 1.12 and Hebrews 4.12 (See the article The Candle of the Lord (http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Spokes/Nun_Candle.asp)). Such a Light from God!

Victor

Victor
06-17-2007, 07:16 PM
The Menorah (HaMenorah) = 300 = Shin

Now we have the following identity:

The Menorah (HaMenorah) = 300 = The Wheel (HaGalgal, full value)

This integrates the prophecy of the Menorah with the Source of its light:

Zec 4:2 And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof:
Zec 4:5 Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
Zec 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

We have the following identities:

The Candlestick = 300 = The Spirit of God
Golden Candlestick = 710 = The Holy Spirit

Interestingly, this last identity is also linked to the main shaft of the Candlestick:

Shaft (Yarek, Sofit value) = 710

Note also that the Menorah looks like two Shins stuck together

Could you explain it further? I'm not sure of what you see.

Victor

Richard Amiel McGough
06-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Now we have the following identity:

The Menorah (HaMenorah) = 300 = The Wheel (HaGalgal, full value)

This integrates the prophecy of the Menorah with the Source of its light:

Zec 4:2 And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof:
Zec 4:5 Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord.
Zec 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

We have the following identities:

The Candlestick = 300 = The Spirit of God
Golden Candlestick = 710 = The Holy Spirit
The Number 710 also links back to the standard value of HaGilgal = 71, so both the standard and full values play important roles here.

Note also that the Menorah looks like two Shins stuck together

Could you explain it further? I'm not sure of what you see.

Victor
The shape of the three arms on each side are isomorphic to Shin, by which I mean there is a one-to-one correspondence between them so one can be smoothly transformed into the other:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/menorah_shin.gif

This kind of transformation is very common in Hebrew calligraphy. The transformed shape is also rather similar to the shape of Shin in script (left) and unicode (right):

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9587/shin2big.gif http://www.decodeunicode.org/data/glyph/196x196/FB2A.gif

From the shape of the six arms we find the Hebrew word sheysh which is the masculine form of the word for "six" itself. This is extremely significant because the Menorah is a perpetual memorial of the six days of Creation, with the central lamp being the Sabbath. Furthermore, as noted earlier, we have the series of of identities linking the plain text of the creation story to both Hebrew and Greek:

Six (Sheysh) = 600 = kosmos (which was completed on the sixth day).

Richard

Victor
06-19-2007, 08:39 AM
The Number 710 also links back to the standard value of HaGilgal = 71, so both the standard and full values play important roles here.

Great! So now we have:

The Wheel (full) = 300 = The Spirit of God
The Wheel (std) = 71 = Dove

The shape of the three arms on each side are isomorphic to Shin, by which I mean there is a one-to-one correspondence between them so one can be smoothly transformed into the other:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/menorah_shin.gif

Richard

:thumb: It's very clear to me. Specially since the alternate scripts reinforce the association. Good insight! Shin Shin = The Cosmos = The six arms of the Menorah!

Victor

Richard Amiel McGough
06-19-2007, 09:42 AM
As it turns out, there is some ambiguity as to the number of "bowls, knops, and flowers" on the Menorah. Unfortunately, we have no way to know for sure how the menorah was made, and the biblical description is sufficiently ambiguous to lead to a variety of conclusions. In this regard, it is quite telling that the ancient Rabbis apparently projected their own confusion onto Moses. There is an old tradition (with many variations) that says there were "three things" confused Moses, one of which was the design of the Menorah. Here is how Rabbi Bradley Shavit Artson (http://judaism.uj.edu/Content/ContentUnit.asp?CID=914&u=1925&t=0) explained it:

In reading the description of the Menorah, the confusion is overwhelming--the details are so complex that it is easy to despair of ever visualizing it correctly.

That same confusion must have overwhelmed Moses as well. An ancient midrash, recorded in the Talmud as well, states that "three things presented difficulties to Moses, until the Holy Blessed One showed Moses with His finger:...[one was] the menorah, as it is written, 'and this was the work of the menorah." According to another ancient tradition, not God but the angel Gabriel drew a picture so that Moses could see the image that God was portraying in words.

Yet another tradition, found in Midrash Bamidbar Rabbah, holds that Moses kept confusing the details each time he returned to the camp. ...Even the famous Rashi (Rabbi Shlomo Yitzakhi, 11th century), also admitted some confusion about the meaning of Exodus 25:34, writing (http://www.chabad.org/parshah/rashi/rashi.asp?AID=15565&p=3&iSedra=1094&tDate=2%2F20%2F2007):

decorated…its knobs and its flowers. This is one of the five verses whose meaning cannot be determined. It is unknown whether [to read] 'decorated goblets' or 'decorated its knobs and its flowers."-[from Yoma 52b]At issue for this study the question of the number of items on the menorah. A simple reading of most English translations leaves one with the impression that there were 22 triplets, each with a bowl, knop, and flower. For example, here is the Tanakh published by the Jewish Publication Society in 1985 where bowl, knop, and flower are translated as cup, calyx, and petal:

TNK Exodus 25:33 On one branch there shall be three cups shaped like almond-blossoms, each with calyx and petals, and on the next branch there shall be three cups shaped like almond-blossoms, each with calyx and petals; so for all six branches issuing from the lampstand.

The important point for our current discussion is the insertion of the word "each" in the passage above. It is there because of the translators interpretation; it does not correspond to any Hebrew word in the passage, which literally reads as follows (with the word order intact):

Three cups like-almonds in-branch the-one calyx and flower

This is an ambiguous sentence because we don't know if there is supposed to be one "calyx and flower" with each cup, or one "calyx and flower" with each branch. The JPS translators chose to associate the pair with each cup, in which case we arrive at 22 triplets which corresponds directly to the number of books in the Bible. But there is another Jewish tradition that comes to a very different conclusion.

In his commentary (http://www.chabad.org/parshah/rashi/rashi.asp?AID=15565&p=3&iSedra=1094&tDate=2%2F20%2F2007) on Exodus 25:35, Rahsi shows how convoluted an analysis of the Menorah really can be. He begins with a huge amount of information concerning the dimensions (in handbreadths) that is not found in the Torah. He cites the Baraitha Melecheth HaMishkan, but I can't confirm the accuracy because I don't have access to those documents. This is important because he says the whole menorah was eighteen handbreadths while other sources (http://www.chabad.org/parshah/in-depth/default.asp?AID=45585) say it was seventeen, and the Torah itself is silent on the matter. In any case, he uses these "handbreadths" as a way to organize the parts of the Menorah:

35. And a knob under the two branches. From the knob, the branches extended from its two sides in either direction. This is what we learned in the Melecheth HaMishkan [ch. 10, Men. 28b, 29a]: The height of the menorah was eighteen handbreadths. [This total is arrived at as follows:] The feet [of the menorah] and the [lowest] flower were three handbreadths. That is the flower mentioned in connection with the base, as it is said: 'to its base, to its flower' (Num. 8:4). Here Rashi makes an unsupported and unjustified connection to Numbers 8.4. There is nothing in the text that suggests the flower mentioned in Num 8.4 is to be counted in addition to the flowers already mentioned in Exo 25. His count of the number of flowers is suspect.

Then two handbreadths [above this were] unadorned, and a handbreadth [above that] in which [there] was a goblet-[namely one] of the four goblets [mentioned in verse 34]-and a knob and a flower of the two knobs and the two flowers mentioned in connection with the menorah itself, as it is said [on verse 34]: 'decorated…its knobs and its flowers.' We learn that on the main stem there were two knobs and two flowers, in addition to the three knobs from which the branches extended, as it is said [here]: 'And a knob under the two branches.' And [above the lowest branches were] two handbreadths unadorned, and a handbreadth with a knob and two branches coming out of it on either side, extending upward, opposite the height of the menorah, and one handbreadth unadorned, and a handbreadth with a knob and two branches coming out of it, and one handbreadth unadorned, and a handbreadth with a knob and two branches coming out of it, extending upward, opposite the height of the menorah, and two handbreadths unadorned. [Hence,] three handbreadths remain, in which there were three goblets, a knob, and a flower. The goblets were found to number twenty-two: eighteen for the six branches [of the menorah]-three for each one-and four on the menorah itself, totaling twenty-two. And [there were] eleven knobs-six on the six branches [one on each branch], three on the menorah itself, from which the branches extended, and two more on the menorah, as it is said [in verse 34]: 'decorated…its knobs,' [which means two knobs] since the minimum of [the plural] 'knobs' is two.This is typical of rabbinic explanations. We already know that the knobs must be plural, because verse 35 tells us there were at least three knobs on the central branch. The most obvious interpretation of the plural then is that it refers to these knobs just mentioned. For Rashi to infer from the plural that there must be at least two more knobs is simply absurd. Furthermore, the plural means two or more, so again, Rashi's method of counting yields no certain result. It could be two, three, four .... he gave no justification whatsoever for the count he arrived at.

One [knob was] below, next to the base, and one in the top three handbreadths [together] with the three goblets. And it [the menorah] had nine flowers: six on the six branches [one on each branch] as it is said [in verse 33]: 'on one branch, [there was] a knob and a flower,' and three [flowers] on the menorah [itself], as it is said [here], "decorated…its knobs and its flowers"-[B]the minimum of [the plural] 'flowers' is two, and one [additional flower is] mentioned in the parsha Beha’alothecha: 'to its base to its flower' (Num. 8:4). If you carefully study this Mishnah that is written above, you will find them [the decorations of the menorah] according to their number, each one in its place. — [from Men. 28b]Here we the faulty inference from the plural, and the faulty inference from Num 8:4. Rashi's count is entirely unconvincing.

Given these kinds of "rabbinic explanations" it seems clear why even Moses was confused!

It would be very helpful if anyone could find evidence - documents or pictures - that would help settle this matter. As it stands, the idea of 22 triplets is the simplest and most elegant interpretation, but it is not certain by any means.

Thanks!

Richard

Victor
06-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Yes, there are lots of research to do. I do remember that when I read Exo 25, I had a hard time comprehending it. The text is not easy. On the other hand, there are quite a few sources attesting the 22 X 3 model, so I thought that my interpretation was likely correct.

Of course the Author of Scripture had a purpose when he recorded the Menorah design in a way that is hard to follow, and His servants will find out why sooner or later. Regardless of what is the "right form" of the Menorah, a few facts are certain:

1) It is a sevenfold object.
2) It has 22 bowls.
3) The branches are called "canes".

Based on this evidence, the link to the Structure of Scripture is obvious to me. And there are a few more considerations that add weight to this link:

4) The round form of the branches reminds the three cycles of the Bible Wheel. (See the thread How to make a Menorah from the Bible Wheel (http://www.biblewheel.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=43))
5) There are Jews who accept the 3 X 22 model, as can be seen in the JPS translation you quote.
6) The 3 X 22 pattern is the one which is simpler and more gracious. (Zech 4.7)

Victor

Victor
06-19-2007, 12:52 PM
And I will leave you with another alphanumeric identity that strongly links to the icon, and Genesis 1:1, and the structure of the Holy Word in the form of the Wheel (22 Spokes):

The Pantocrator (Ho Pantocrator) = 1822 = 22 x 911

911 (http://www.biblewheel.com/GR/GR_911.asp) = Reshith (Beginnning, Gen 1:1, first verse)

911 = Charis (Grace, Rev 22:21, last verse)

I think you mixed two different identities:

The Pantocrator (Ho Pantocrator) = 1892 = 22 (# Spokes in the Bible Wheel) x 86 (God, Elohim)

Pantocrator (no article) = 1822 = 2 x 911

Two times 911, which appears in the first (beginning, Gen 1.1) and last (grace, Rev 22.21) verses of Scripture. Then, we get 2 times 911!

As a final link, I find interesting that the numeric value of the anarthrous form (Pantocrator = 1822) reveals the Spokes where the peaks of the distribution of the word Almighty in the Bible are found: Spokes 18 (Job) and 22 (Revelation). ;)

Richard Amiel McGough
06-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Yes, there are lots of research to do. I do remember that when I read Exo 25, I had a hard time comprehending it. The text is not easy. On the other hand, there are quite a few sources attesting the 22 X 3 model, so I thought that my interpretation was likely correct.

Of course the Author of Scripture had a purpose when he recorded the Menorah design in a way that is hard to follow, and His servants will find out why sooner or later. Regardless of what is the "right form" of the Menorah, a few facts are certain:

1) It is a sevenfold object.
2) It has 22 bowls.
3) The branches are called "canes".

Based on this evidence, the link to the Structure of Scripture is obvious to me. And there are a few more considerations that add weight to this link:

4) The round form of the branches reminds the three cycles of the Bible Wheel. (See the thread How to make a Menorah from the Bible Wheel (http://www.biblewheel.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=43))
5) There are Jews who accept the 3 X 22 model, as can be seen in the JPS translation you quote.
6) The 3 X 22 pattern is the one which is simpler and more gracious. (Zech 4.7)

Victor
Very well stated! :thumb: Thanks for "tying it up and putting a bow on it" for me.

As for point 6: The 3 x 22 pattern also echoes the nature of the Triune God who designed both the Menorah and the Bible Wheel. The 3 x 22 form is particularly satisfying because we have 3 Cycles from Aleph (1) to Tav (22), which immediately recalls the Three Persons of the Trinity, each of whom can say "I am the Alpha Omega". And this is not just my idea, it was the basis of this ancient (8th century) triple Chi-Rho with three concentric circles and three sets of Alpha Omega (surrounded by 12 doves representing the 12 Apostles):

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/TripleChiRho.jpg

RAM

Richard Amiel McGough
06-19-2007, 01:13 PM
I think you mixed two different identities:

The Pantocrator (Ho Pantocrator) = 1892 = 22 (# Spokes in the Bible Wheel) x 86 (God, Elohim)

Pantocrator (no article) = 1822 = 2 x 911

Two times 911, which appears in the first (beginning, Gen 1.1) and last (grace, Rev 22.21) verses of Scripture. Then, we get 2 times 911!

As a final link, I find interesting that the numeric value of the anarthrous form (Pantocrator = 1822) reveals the Spokes where the peaks of the distribution of the word Almighty in the Bible are found: Spokes 18 (Job) and 22 (Revelation). ;)
Yes, you are correct. Thanks for setting it straight. :)

Pantocrator = 1822 is interesting, especially since the peaks on Spokes 18 and 22 are quite pronounced.

The Pantocrator = 1892 = 22 x 86 is truly amazing, since it is the ancient icon that presents Christ as Elohim (God), and the halo looks like the Bible Wheel. 22 Spokes form Elohim, indeed! Amen. This also reminds me of the self-reflective nature of the sum of the Shema = 1118 = 13 (ONE) x 86 (GOD).

Richard

Victor
06-19-2007, 01:22 PM
And what do we see when "heaven" (taken a type of the "Heavenly Book" = the Bible) is rolled up like a scroll?

Revelation 6:14-17 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. 15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

If someone was running reading through this interpretation (Hab 2.2), he would have reason to say that the assertion should have better support. The Bible is a heavenly book, but it is another thing to say that the Heaven is a type of the Bible. We need some more linking evidence. (Maybe Psalm 77.18, maybe the literal shape of the map of Heaven...)

Victor

Richard Amiel McGough
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
If someone was running reading through this interpretation (Hab 2.2), he would have reason to find that the assertion should have better support. The Bible is a heavenly book, but it is another thing to say that the Heaven is a type of the Bible. We need some more linking evidence. (Maybe Psalm 77.18, maybe the literal shape of the map of Heaven...)

Victor

I knew I wrote that too quickly, and would probably need to clarify. It certainly does not seem correct to say that "heaven" is a type of the Bible. What I was getting at is more along the lines of the Bible as a "window to heaven" or as you noted from my book (pg 68), a "map of heaven" and so the idea of "rolling up heaven like a scroll" evokes an idea similar to rolling up the Bible to form the Bible Wheel. This then links to the "face of Him who sits on the throne" through the icons we have been studying. That is the sort of feeling I had when I was reading Revelation 6:14 "And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together." The same language is used in Isaiah 34:4 "... and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll". This verse then leads directly to the form of the wheel, since the Hebrew word "rolled" is galal, the root of galgal = wheel (See The Wheel of Revelation (http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/WheelofRevelation.asp)).

Now as for Psalm 77:18. That shows a link between galgal and heaven:

The voice of thy thunder was in the heaven (bagalgal): the lightnings lightened the world: the earth trembled and shook.

This is discussed in my article called Rolling Thunder (http://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/Rolling_Thunder.asp).

Richard

PS: Thanks for bringing up this point of weakness Victor. That's what this forum is really for. Like any man, I need help to see my blind spots and weaknesses. And the glorious truth is that every valid criticism only makes me stronger because it helps me weed error from my garden of Truth!

Victor
06-19-2007, 02:06 PM
The 3 x 22 pattern also echoes the nature of the Triune God who designed both the Menorah and the Bible Wheel. The 3 x 22 form is particularly satisfying because we have 3 Cycles from Aleph (1) to Tav (22), which immediately recalls the Three Persons of the Trinity, each of whom can say "I am the Alpha Omega". And this is not just my idea, it was the basis of this ancient (8th century) triple Chi-Rho with three concentric circles and three sets of Alpha Omega (surrounded by 12 doves representing the 12 Apostles):

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/TripleChiRho.jpg

RAM

Beautiful!

Yes, the three Cycles make most people think of the trinitarian implications of the Bible Wheel, I guess. Note that Echad (One) = 13, and 13 is written with a ONE and a THREE. Now the above Chi-Rho is ONE, but it states THREE times that God is Alpha and Omega. This correlation makes me think of Revelation 22:13:

"I am (1) Alpha and Omega, (2) the Beginning and the End, (3) the First and the Last."

ONE title stated in THREE different forms. The title itself is dual (e.g., beginning and end), and so the six names are grouped two and two. The verse index reinforces all of this:

Rev 22.13 => 22 (TWO and TWO, from Aleph to Tav), 13 (ONE and THREE, one Title stated thrice).

Of course, Revelation is Book 66, and 66 = 22 X 3. The verse is Bible point (22 X 3, 22, 13)!

Victor

P.S.: Could you give the source of the Chi-Rho artwork above? I think I had never seen it before.

Richard Amiel McGough
06-19-2007, 05:22 PM
P.S.: Could you give the source of the Chi-Rho artwork above? I think I had never seen it before.

I first found it on page 196 of Annemarie Schimmel's The Mystery of Numbers. She said it was from a baptismal font in the chapel of Albenga, dated to the seccond half of the fifth century (contrary to my misstatement above putting it in the 8th century). After much searching, I finally found it on the internet, but I don't remember the link off-hand. I'll look it up and post it. The image also is on the cover of some book, though I forget its name.

Richard Amiel McGough
06-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I found one image here:

http://www.archmuseum.org/galeri_resimler.asp?sayfa=4&id=15&exid=12#17

And a description of it here, where it is asserted to be a representation of the transfiguration:

http://www.firebirdvideos.com/transfiguration.htm

There are only three extant early representations of the Transfiguration. The oldest dates from the fifth century Baptistry in Albenga, on the Ligurian coast, in northwest Italy. It is a symbolic portrayal, showing three concentric circles, which are like inundating waves of glory, emanating from a giant Chi-Rho (XP).

Edit to add:

Here's an image from http://www.albengacittaepiscopale.it/?sez=5, the Albenga Citta Episcopale in Italy. It is interesting that they use this image as a background for their site.

http://www.albengacittaepiscopale.it/copertina-battistero.jpg

I didn't realize the colors were so blue. Very beautiful.

White
06-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Victor and Richard

Great posts as usual - you are so advanced in your learning and your presentations. Here is my earthly and simple minded input:

The Menorah is a multifaceted prophecy of the structure of the Bible as you lay out with great conviction - but here is another aspect I discovered when I read your posts this morning :

Look at the diagram with the almonds, the knops and the flowers :
count straight across
3 1 (center) 3 = 7 7th day of rest

count accross again 2nd row like a rainbow:

3 no center 3 = 6 Sabbath: 6days of work

count across again 3rd row:

3 1 (center) 3 = 7 Genesis 2:7 Creation of Adam

count the uncounted two
1 (center) =

1 (center) = 1 + 1 = 2 (also for One in Christ, One in Love)

The numbers - 6/7 and 2/7 are numbers the LORD showed me a long time ago - so if it seems "forced" I can't help it - it still works and adds up to 6 + 7 + 7 + 2 = 22

Story: My Dad died on 2/1/2001 - (repeat of numbers again 2/1/2001)
To find a proper reading for the funeral I inquired of the LORD what I should read.
HE said: Read GENESIS 2:7 - Not knowing the text I researched:

GENESIS 2:7 : "And the LORD GOD formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul!
The creation of Adam - That was cool - So I read Genesis 2:1 - 10
for my Dad's funeral - together with Romans 8:28-31 and chapter of the
Resurrection of Lazarus (John 11:35 as main verse - JESUS wept... and HE still weeps over our hard hearts and stiff necks...)

now the 6/7 :

In 1998 the LORD showed me that Jerusalem fell into JEWISH HANDS
on 6/7/67 = at 10:20 am (10:20 for 10 Commandments given twice?)
When I inquired why 6/7/67 HE said:
"simple : 6 days of work, 7th day of rest" - The Sabbath Rest of Israel

Wow, that is simple and amazing - It will even blow the Rabbis away when you share that simple fact with them - trust me, I have shared it with some)
Why not incorporate it into the MENORAH?

The numbers from the top down spell out 7/6/7/2 = 2/7 = Genesis 2:7, 6/7 = 6 days of work, 7th day of Rest - read from the bottom and most likely the Menorah was built from the bottom up.

Or course I pray much and L.A.M.P. is short for "LORD ANSWER MY PRAYERS"

If I'm not orthodox enough, please tell me, but be gentle, ok!
Shalom
White

PS: Also here is another little thought : The American flag has
7 red stripes and 6 white stripes - and 1776 are important numbers in USA
as well as 7/22/1976 for me - when I came to USA from Switzerland)

Richard Amiel McGough
06-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Victor and Richard

Great posts as usual - you are so advanced in your learning and your presentations. Here is my earthly and simple minded input:

The Menorah is a multifaceted prophecy of the structure of the Bible as you lay out with great conviction - but here is another aspect I discovered when I read your posts this morning :

count straight across

count across again 3rd row:

3 1 (center) 3 = 7 Genesis 2:7 Creation of Adam

count the uncounted two
1 (center) =

1 (center) = 1 + 1 = 2 (also for One in Christ, One in Love)
I appreciate basic idea. The menorah was designed on a pattern of 3 + 1 + 3 = 7. But the diagram I made doesn't "work" for the kind of analysis you suggest because nobody knows exactly how the triplets were placed. I just placed them symmetrically. So we can't draw any conclusions from their placement on the branches. Now the main part of the pattern you noticed, the 3 + 1 + 3 = 7 is an integral part of the menorah, but the other observations won't hold up for the reason stated.

The numbers - 6/7 and 2/7 are numbers the LORD showed me a long time ago - so if it seems "forced" I can't help it - it still works and adds up to 6 + 7 + 7 + 2 = 22
Ya know, this thing about "forced" is a favorite was to discount something that skeptics don't like. Unfortunately, they have a point if we are trying to "prove" something. That's why I was under a very strong compulsion not to "force" anything at all (or even speculate much) when writing the Bible Wheel book. It all had to be founded on the Rock so that it could weather the attacks that are sure to come. But when talking amongst friends, or asking the Lord for insight, we really really really must let our imaginations fly free. We can then test what we "see" in light of Scripture. My point is that if we are too concerned about what others think, then we may end up making ourselves blind to some of God's greatest truths.

It requires a lot of balance.

Story: My Dad died on 2/1/2001 - (repeat of numbers again 2/1/2001)
To find a proper reading for the funeral I inquired of the LORD what I should read.
HE said: Read GENESIS 2:7 - Not knowing the text I researched:

GENESIS 2:7 : "And the LORD GOD formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul!
The creation of Adam - That was cool - So I read Genesis 2:1 - 10
for my Dad's funeral - together with Romans 8:28-31 and chapter of the
Resurrection of Lazarus (John 11:35 as main verse - JESUS wept... and HE still weeps over our hard hearts and stiff necks...)
Yes, repeated number patterns are a real "eye-catcher." Pretty much everyone sensitive to the symbolic meanings of numbers takes note of the repdigits. And as it turns out, they are an extremely rich area of study, used of God in many ways, as discussed in my article on repdigits (http://www.biblewheel.com/gr/gr_repdigits.asp).

now the 6/7 :

In 1998 the LORD showed me that Jerusalem fell into JEWISH HANDS
on 6/7/67 = at 10:20 am (10:20 for 10 Commandments given twice?)
When I inquired why 6/7/67 HE said:
"simple : 6 days of work, 7th day of rest" - The Sabbath Rest of Israel

Wow, that is simple and amazing - It will even blow the Rabbis away when you share that simple fact with them - trust me, I have shared it with some)
Well, it sure would be nice if Israel were enjoying her sabbath! But it looks like its still future .... given the state of the middle east right now. The idea of 6/7 fits very well with popular idea of 6 days = 6000 years, so the millennium is the 7th day and lasts a thousand years. But I don't think its going to work out that way. The idea is based on misunderstanding verses like 2 Pet 3:8 which says:

2 Peter 3:8 ¶ But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The problem is, it doesn't just say that a thousand of our years is like one day to the Lord, it also says that one of our days is like a thousand years to the Lord. People misunderstand this and teach that since Jesus died about 2000 years ago, it was only two days ago in God's sight, and that "six days" in God's eyes is 6000 human years, so we should expect the millennium to start very soon since some folks believe the earth is 6000 years old. The problem is that they forgot the other half of the verse, which says that 24 hours down here on earth is like a millennium in the sight of the Lord.

I discussed this with shalag in the Rapture (http://www.biblewheel.com/Forum/showpost.php?p=446&postcount=35) thread.

PS: Also here is another little thought : The American flag has 7 red stripes and 6 white stripes - and 1776 are important numbers in USA as well as 7/22/1976 for me - when I came to USA from Switzerland)

I wouldn't be suprised if the founding fathers found it "providential" that the numbers of stripes echoed the date of the foundation of this country. They really liked that kind of thing. But some of it goes well beyond their ability to manipulate, such as the actual date on which it all transpired. That's why I think points to the hand of God.

Victor
06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Victor and Richard

count straight across

Hi White, great seeing you in the discussion. Your insight on the 3 + 1 + 3 pattern is in perfect harmony with Richard's finding on the six Menorah branches being linked to the seven (six plus one) days of Creation. In fact, it is a more detailed form of the basic 3 + 1 construct. God uses this pattern very often in the structure of His Word, most notably in the three Synoptic Gospels and the Gospel of John.

Victor

Richard Amiel McGough
06-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Hi White, great seeing you in the discussion. Your insight on the 3 + 1 + 3 pattern is in perfect harmony with Richard's finding on the six days being linked to the seven (six plus one) days of Creation. In fact, it is a more detailed form of the basic 3 + 1 construct. God uses this pattern very often in the structure of His Word, most notably in the three Synoptic Gospels and the Gospel of John.

Victor

Yeah, that 3 + 1 pattern is really intriguing.

3 Synoptics + 1 Gospel of John

3 Earthbound Cherubim + 1 Flying in Ezekiel's Vision

3 Pairs of branches + 1 central branch on the Menorah

3 Pairs of Divisions + 1 undivided Cycle on the Canon Wheel

3 Spatial Dimensions + 1 Dimension of Time defines the space-time manifold

And there are more .... see if you can find them!

Richard

Victor
07-04-2007, 08:02 PM
A few comments:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor

Amen indeed! Note also that He used Pi to design His Book:

Biblos (Book) = 314

This is yet another evidence that the circle is an excellent representation of the Bible. Book = 314!

One more: The portion of Scripture read by Jews in their cycles of regular readings is often called seder. The collection of these portions is called sederim. Therefore, we have:

Sederim = 314

We also should recall the identity: Wheel (Galgal) = 66, the number of books on the Wheel.

When shalag introduced the idea of adding up the coordinates of Bible verses (e.g., Genesis 1:1 => (1,1,1) => 1 + 1 + 1 => 3), I immediately thought: what's the highest number a Bible verse can reach? The answer is found in the largest Bible chapter, Psalm 119. The last verse is 176. When we add up the values for book, chapter and verse, we have:

Psalm 119:176 => (19,119,176) => 19 + 119 + 176 = 314.

314 again! This verse is the last one in the greatest Alphabetic Psalm - it is a verse corresponding to Tav, the last letter. In Psalm 119:176 we come full circle, and the sum of coordinates of this verse bears witness to that.

300 = 5 x 12 x 5

and 22 = 5 + 12 + 5 is the exact pattern of the divisions on the Canon Wheel I didn't notice this until your post. Thanks!

You see, first we found that 300 is the number of the cruciform halo. We then find an independent link that strengthens the original finding: 300 = 5 x 12 x 5. The same numbers as in the canonical divisions! Praise God for His intelligence!

shalag
07-05-2007, 12:06 AM
When I first saw the Biblewheel it made sense to me to add the book number to the sum. I can't say I really 'understand' the numbers as an intelligent whole - but I put them there in case they mean something to somebody that does understand.

So hearing you say that - I just said , "Thank you Lord, it meant something to someone!":D

I get a lot of peace looking at symmetry even if I don't understand it thoroughly. Like the above. I just store it n my 'truth' bank.

Richard Amiel McGough
09-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I just found this pic from an 11th century illuminated manuscript of Revelaiton that shows Christ as the Lamb of God with an explicitly tri-raidant halo. The pic is from the Encyclopedia Britanica (http://www.britannica.com/ebc/art-94143/Angel-showing-John-the-heavenly-Jerusalem-manuscript-illumination-from-the):

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/Reveleation_Illumination_Staatsbibliothek.gif

The caption states: "Angel showing John the heavenly Jerusalem, manuscript illumination from the Revelation to John, c. 1020; in the Staatsbibliothek in Bamberg, Germany."

Here's a closeup of the head of the Lamb:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/Reveleation_Illumination_Staatsbibliothek_Detail.g if

RAM

Serenity Grace
11-25-2007, 12:25 PM
May His peace be with you all.

At present am going through frustration, at what we can share and what we can't. But as always He wins out every time and so He should.

Thankyou for the pictures. In the Icon and the picture of the trinity in the Halo of Lord Jesus Christ's Head and that the fourth direction is hidden, this is not just the fourth direction but the fifth direction also. Most people forget the point that meets in the middle as a direction. Which makes His Cross fivefold, which relates to His piercings, to His main directions, His fivefold ministeries but also relates to His five chosen brides, which is also five chosen nations that make up the Commonwealth of Israel. Israel being in the centre along with His Chosen seed.

This picture also relates to the anointed mind of Christ, but the mind is also one with and in His heart.

Getting back to the three fold of Christ, this relates to 1 John 5:7-8 but also relates to John 14:20-1.If you look in John 14:20 you also see where God goes from being three fold to four fold. The four fold of Him, is His body and is made up of the many members of His Body of Christ, and thus He Goes from being the tri une God, to the Holy Temple of God that we enter into. Which is His Body. From three to four. If you would like to see how He is one, draw four circles inside each other, and in the smallest one write Holy Ghost Spirit, the Holy Living Spirit of God, Christ; then write us in the next one, the body of Christ, then Jesus in the next circle, then Lord in the final circle. Then you see His beautiful perfect complete nucleous that He fulfils perfectly through His seed and in our lives. Which is our Holy and Heavenly Family.

When you look at this, and look at John 14:21 and you see visions of this, and He gives you His understanding, because you first asked Him, and then you are blown away at what He reveals, and you also have lived and received this experience you realise, and then you see that Lord Jesus Christ has become manifested in our flesh as we have been manifested and translated into His flesh, and we become one in God and with God and a part of God, as He is a part of us and one in us, but also we are a part of each other as He is with us and we become one and can have His true perfect and sincere loving fellowship.

"At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you." John 14:20

"He that hath my commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and manifest myself to him. John 14:20-1

then you get the gist and see the monumental gift of His reconcilation that He has given to us, and it takes our breath away, and it is amazing.

As for the 6767 this also is added into 13 + 13 = 26, which is His full perfect and complete day and is His sabbath rest, but also is the day of redemption for the many, along with the day of atonement,which will herald in His completion, which is His nine number. This is also the number 8 conciding with a nine number and also a seven number,which is 24, which is also the number six and the six days of creation, that man came forth... but also 24 represents the number in Kingdom eldership but also other things. And is also in alignment with 314, which is double four which is also 8, and is the number of eternal life, His redemption and the reconciling Heaven's witness with Earth's witness, which is happening this year. This year 2007coming into 2008 , is a seven going into an eight year but also adds up to a nine going into a ten year, being one and what He is fulfilling, the fulness of Lord, in the perfection of Jesus, through the atoning and completing Grace of Christ, in His rest and day, Lord Jesus Christ is reconciled for our family He redeems, and we all get to become one, not just with Him, but each other. We get to become complete and mature. True Godly unity manifested and people will realise there is nothing they can do of themselves but is His amazing Gift that He gives for us to receive.

There is also a false unity going forth at this time as well, that is a part of universalism.

His day is coming forth now and in the next couple of years. This is also a part of His Heavenly Flower as well as His time, and at His appointed time and day. People will realise it is time for Christ and time for His Kingdom and ministery with His saints, but also a time of His wife, the Heavenly Jerusalem, and we sing...

This is the day the Lord has made we will rejoice and be glad in it. The day of Christ and His government with His Governing Body, see Isaiah 9:6-7.

And He is a wonderful Husband and Father that never forgets nor is without His wife and children, for they are one.

One Day people will realise the truth, it is all Lord Jesus Christ and His people and the love they share for we are all one. They will also realise that none of the pictures that have been painted show what He truly looks like, some might be close, but it is still not His face....and people shall see Him as He is and shall see Him in His Glory, (please see psalm 24) Praise Lord Jesus Christ, amen.

Advancing Christ's Kingdom
Mother Serenity Grace
Homeheart Ministeries
His eternal love is in our home and our home is in His eternal love...John 14:20-1

Geoffrey
11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Hallo Richard,

Have you seen this portrait, Hoffman's Head of Christ at 30. It also shows the triradiant cruciform.
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6365/christlh7.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=christlh7.jpg)

Richard Amiel McGough
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Hallo Richard,

Have you seen this portrait, Hoffman's Head of Christ at 30. It also shows the triradiant cruciform.
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6365/christlh7.th.jpg (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=christlh7.jpg)
Hey Geoffrey,

Yeah, I have seen that. I love the subtlety of the tri-radiance. It shows how religious art evolved over time while retaining traditional elements.

Thanks!

Richard

Victor
12-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Here's another icon depicting the three-radiant halo:

http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20and%20Zacchaeus_jpg.jpg
Jesus and Zacchaeus

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Here's another icon depicting the three-radiant halo:

http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20and%20Zacchaeus_jpg.jpg
Jesus and Zacchaeus
Thanks Victor,

It's good to have as many examples of this pattern as possible. I had not seen this one of Jesus looking up at Zacchaeus in the tree. Most examples show him looking up in prayer in the Garden before his crucifixion. That form goes back to the middle ages at least. I wonder how old this iconic form is?

Richard

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Here (http://travellerstale-sb.blogspot.com/2008/01/baptism-of-christ.html)is a rather unusual example of the explicitly tri-radiant halo in a Russian icon of the baptism of Christ:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/baptism_icon.jpg

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 08:21 AM
It appears that the icon of Jesus with Zeccheaus has become a standard iconic form in the Greek Orthodox Church. Another example is found here (http://www.comeandseeicons.com/w/inp152.htm).

Victor
12-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks Victor,

It's good to have as many examples of this pattern as possible. I had not seen this one of Jesus looking up at Zacchaeus in the tree. Most examples show him looking up in prayer in the Garden before his crucifixion. That form goes back to the middle ages at least. I wonder how old this iconic form is?

Richard

I wonder that too. I found it in a blog with no accompanying comments. It was just used to illustrate a post (http://wdtprs.com/blog/2006/06/a-rant-the-centurion-and-frequent-communion/) that mentioned Zacchaeus. It prolly follows up on the traditional form that depicts Christ praying in the Garden.

Breaking news: I followed the link in the post and found that the icon is found in St. Mary Coptic Orthodox Church (http://www.biblewheel.com/www.saint-mary.net) of East Brunswick, New Jersey. So the icon cannot be very old, but it confirms that there is a tradition of depicting Christ looking up in different settings, as in the following samples of that Church's icon collection (http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/):

http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20in%20Gethsemane_jpg.jpg (http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20in%20Gethsemane_jpg.jpg)

http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20and%20the%20sinned%20woman_jpg.jpg (http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20and%20the%20sinned%20woman_jpg.jpg)

http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20washing%20the%20Disciples'%20feet_jpg.jpg (http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20washing%20the%20Disciples'%20feet_jpg.jpg)

:)

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Here's (http://www.saintsilouan.org/archive/)another modern image of Christ with an explicitly tri-radiant halo as he carryies the cross. It was made for Lent:

http://saintsilouan.org/images/carrycross.jpg

Victor
12-09-2008, 08:48 AM
The one of the baptism and the carrying of the cross are truly remarkable! Great job! They are both modern artworks and demonstrate how several Christian artists have interpreted the sign of the cross in the halo as a threefold radiance (denoting both the Trinity and the letter Tau).

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I wonder that too. I found it in a blog with no accompanying comments. It was just used to illustrate a post (http://wdtprs.com/blog/2006/06/a-rant-the-centurion-and-frequent-communion/) that mentioned Zacchaeus. It prolly follows up on the traditional form that depicts Christ praying in the Garden.

Yes, the oldest I have found is from an ancient icon of Christ in the Garden. But it now seems to have become a standard form for two other icons, namely, Christ washing the disciples feet and Christ meeting Zeccheaus. It also is found a little more subtly in many icons that use very broad bars in the halo, as seen here when we extend the bar with the red line:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/JesusChrist_Christian.jpg

Breaking news: I followed the link in the post and found that the icon is found in St. Mary Coptic Orthodox Church (http://www.biblewheel.com/www.saint-mary.net) of East Brunswick, New Jersey. So the icon cannot be very old, but it confirms that there is a tradition of depicting Christ looking up in different settings, as in the following samples of that Church's icon collection (http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/):

http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20in%20Gethsemane_jpg.jpg (http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20in%20Gethsemane_jpg.jpg)

http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20and%20the%20sinned%20woman_jpg.jpg (http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20and%20the%20sinned%20woman_jpg.jpg)

http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20washing%20the%20Disciples'%20feet_jpg.jpg (http://www.saint-mary.net/mm/icons/stmarys_icons/images/Jesus%20washing%20the%20Disciples'%20feet_jpg.jpg)

Tremendous find, my friend! Thanks. :yo:

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 09:04 AM
And here (http://orthodoxwiki.org/Image:Calling_Zacchaeus.jpg) is another modern icon called "The Calling of Zaccheaus":

http://orthodoxwiki.org/images/b/b9/Calling_Zacchaeus.jpg

Victor
12-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes, the oldest I have found is from an ancient icon of Christ in the Garden. But it now seems to have become a standard form for two other icons, namely, Christ washing the disciples feet and Christ meeting Zeccheaus. It also is found a little more subtly in many icons that use very broad bars in the halo, as seen here when we extend the bar with the red line:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/JesusChrist_Christian.jpg

Very good observation, Richard. Sometimes I come across icons such as the one above. I think some people wouldn't be convinced by them, but other images in this thread clearly demonstrate that many Christian artists were thinking of tri-radiant halos when they pictured Christ.

Victor
12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
And here (http://orthodoxwiki.org/Image:Calling_Zacchaeus.jpg) is another modern icon called "The Calling of Zaccheaus":

http://orthodoxwiki.org/images/b/b9/Calling_Zacchaeus.jpg

Hey, I had this one in my files too! But I found the first one above clearer so I chose it to post. Another one I have downloaded is the following modern icon:

http://nikolaitsai.us/photos/IndexFolder/w225details/theotokosdetail.jpg
The whole picture can be seen at http://nikolaitsai.us/iconostasis.html.

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Here's a close up that icon that's not chopped off. The fact that there are only three rays is perfectly obvious and intentional:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/theotokos.jpg

Victor
12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Another icon of the Blessed Virgin holding God Incarnate (from the same artist):

http://nikolaitsai.us/photos/IndexFolder/IanCecilia/TheotokosThumb.jpg

Detail:

http://nikolaitsai.us/photos/IndexFolder/IanCecilia/TheotokosDetail.jpg

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM
This is one of the oldest examples of the triradiant halo (from here (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/popu/ho_17.190.491.htm#)). It is from the 6th century. The text is from the gospel account of the woman healed by Christ. Christ Himself is identified by both the triradiant halo and the abreviations IC (=IHSOUC/Jesus) and XC (=XRISTOC/Christ) just below the left and right horizontal arms of the halo. This form is seen in countless icons. It is amazing to see it fully developed as early as the 6th century.

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/hb_17_190_491.jpg

Richard Amiel McGough
12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Here is an online book (http://books.google.com/books?id=KLBMAAAAMAAJ&printsec=titlepage&dq=three+rays+nimbus+christ&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0) called "Christian Iconography" (1851) which covers the history of the nimbus in great detail.

Victor
12-10-2008, 07:01 AM
The last image of the Calling of Zaccheus seems to have an uploading problem, so I'm providing other link:

http://i38.tinypic.com/16hvya0.jpg

Victor
08-28-2009, 07:29 AM
The following picture is stained glass artwork found in the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, in Sacramento. Note the cruciform glow around Christ:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2i0lep.jpg

There are only three rays. If the artist meant to have four, the radiance would also be seen immediately above the shoulders of Christ. The outline strongly suggests a threefold-radiance.

Richard Amiel McGough
08-28-2009, 07:57 AM
The following picture is stained glass artwork found in the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, in Sacramento. Note the cruciform glow around Christ:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2i0lep.jpg

There are only three rays. If the artist meant to have four, the radiance would also be seen immediately above the shoulders of Christ. The outline strongly suggests a threefold-radiance.
Thanks Victor,

That's a good example. I don't know if we've seen this one (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/ravenna-san-vitale.htm) before, but it is of interest because of it's age - early sixth century:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/xti_6449pas.jpg
San Vitale's apse mosaic dates from 526 to 547 AD. It depicts a youthful, clean-shaven Christ the Redeemer sitting on the sphere of the world, flanked by San Vitale (who is being handed a martyr's crown), two angels, and Bishop Ecclesius, who founded the church.

I find this an endlessly fascinating study.

Richard

Victor
08-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks Victor,

That's a good example. I don't know if we've seen this one (http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/ravenna-san-vitale.htm) before, but it is of interest because of it's age - early sixth century:

http://www.biblewheel.com/images/xti_6449pas.jpg
San Vitale's apse mosaic dates from 526 to 547 AD. It depicts a youthful, clean-shaven Christ the Redeemer sitting on the sphere of the world, flanked by San Vitale (who is being handed a martyr's crown), two angels, and Bishop Ecclesius, who founded the church.

I find this an endlessly fascinating study.

Richard

Great find! It very old and still retains its beauty and color. It's a great witness to the cruciform halo. The church is very well-preserved as well!

And, yes, this is endlessly fascinating! Praise the Lord Incarnate!

Victor
08-28-2009, 08:25 AM
I just noticed another image of the halo. This time the Lord wears a beard. :) It is in the great entrance arch.

http://data.greatbuildings.com/gbc/images/cid_aj3035_b.jpg

The mosaic shows circles with the apostles of Christ and Him at the top. He is the chief cornerstone, bearing the weight and holding the arch together as the other stones lean on it.

Richard Amiel McGough
08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Great find! It very old and still retains its beauty and color. It's a great witness to the cruciform halo. The church is very well-preserved as well!

And, yes, this is endlessly fascinating! Praise the Lord Incarnate!
I was reading this page (http://www.crosscrucifix.com/glossaryhome.htm) and found this claim (highlighted) that says there is evidence from the second or third century of the cruciform nimbus. It would be great if we could find confirmation.

Cruciform nimbus

The cruciform halo appeared early in Christian iconography as a visual reminder of the instrument of his death. In the Orthodox tradition, the Greek letters ΟΩΝ, each inserted into a ray to signify the incarnation of God in man. The combined meaning is "the one who is." The phrase occurs when God appears to Moses in the burning bush. "And God said to Moses, ’I am who I am.‘" Ex 3:14 (NJB) A halo or nimbus may appear around other persons in crucifixion scenes. These designate the following: circle, saint; square, a person still alive, such as the donor; triangle, God the Father or the Trinity; hexagonal, a symbolic figure, such as one of the Seven Virtues. One of the engraved gems showing a stylized crucifixion scene from the second or third century shows a cruciform nimbus. In Orthodox art, Christ always has a halo with an engraved cross. Western art has a number of variations, from a similar gold circle to a ring of gold to rays of light. Cavarnos traces the theological use of the halo in part to Mathew 13:43: "The righteous shall shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father." Halos were adapted from Hellenistic and Roman practices to separate holy personages (including emperors) from mortals.

Richard Amiel McGough
08-28-2009, 08:30 AM
I just noticed another image of the halo. This time the Lord wears a beard. :) It is in the great entrance arch.

http://data.greatbuildings.com/gbc/images/cid_aj3035_b.jpg

The mosaic shows circles with the apostles of Christ and Him at the top. He is the chief cornerstone, bearing the weight and holding the arch together as the other stones lean on it.
Excellent observation. It should remind us that Christian iconography is very sophisticated - it embeds a lot of fundamental theology into the art.

Abigail
08-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Have you ever read the description of the Shield of Achilles in book 18 of Homer's Iliad?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_of_Achilles

Homer also describes Agamemnon's shield but the description is shorter and no divine origin is assigned to Agamemnon's shield. I have a quote in a book I am reading but unfortunately it doesnt have the Homer reference so I would need to dig for it.

"His massy shield o'ershadowing him whole,
High wrought and beautiful, he next assum'd.
Ten brazen circles bright around its field
Extensive, circle within circle, ran;
The central boss was black; but hemm'd about
With twice ten bosses of resplendent tin
There, dreadful ornament! the visage dark
Of Gorgon scowl'd border'd by Flight and Fear.
The loop was silver and a serpent form
Cerulean over all its surface twin'd.
Three heads erecting on one neck, the heads
Together wreath'd into a stately crown."

The book I am reading says however much Achille's shield may have been embellished by Homer's imagination, it was doubtless founded on existing models, and "what is more these models probably originated in Western Asia. The Greeks themselves could not, at this time, have executed works of this description; and Homer himself gives an Asiatic origin to all the fine works in metal of which he speaks, whenever he mentions the place from which they came. He most frequently mentions Sidon (see Joshua xix 28); and it is a remarkable fact in connection with this, that Solomon obtained the services of a Tyrian to execute the rich metallic ornaments of the Temple"

There are four names in scripture by which shields are distinguished

Victor
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
The book I am reading says however much Achille's shield may have been embellished by Homer's imagination, it was doubtless founded on existing models, and "what is more these models probably originated in Western Asia. The Greeks themselves could not, at this time, have executed works of this description; and Homer himself gives an Asiatic origin to all the fine works in metal of which he speaks, whenever he mentions the place from which they came. He most frequently mentions Sidon (see Joshua xix 28); and it is a remarkable fact in connection with this, that Solomon obtained the services of a Tyrian to execute the rich metallic ornaments of the Temple"

There are four names in scripture by which shields are distinguished

Hi Abigail! Good to see you!

I think you meant to post more because your last sentence is truncated.

Abigail
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
There are four names in scripture by which shield are distinguished: tzinnah; magen; sohairah and shelet.

Victor
08-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Okay!

I'll be back to your post. Right now I'm posting a better view of the radiance around Christ in the picture above.

http://i25.tinypic.com/x4rn1x.jpg

Victor
08-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I was reading this page (http://www.crosscrucifix.com/glossaryhome.htm) and found this claim (highlighted) that says there is evidence from the second or third century of the cruciform nimbus. It would be great if we could find confirmation.
Cruciform nimbus

The cruciform halo appeared early in Christian iconography as a visual reminder of the instrument of his death. In the Orthodox tradition, the Greek letters ΟΩΝ, each inserted into a ray to signify the incarnation of God in man. The combined meaning is "the one who is." The phrase occurs when God appears to Moses in the burning bush. "And God said to Moses, ’I am who I am.‘" Ex 3:14 (NJB) A halo or nimbus may appear around other persons in crucifixion scenes. These designate the following: circle, saint; square, a person still alive, such as the donor; triangle, God the Father or the Trinity; hexagonal, a symbolic figure, such as one of the Seven Virtues. One of the engraved gems showing a stylized crucifixion scene from the second or third century shows a cruciform nimbus. In Orthodox art, Christ always has a halo with an engraved cross. Western art has a number of variations, from a similar gold circle to a ring of gold to rays of light. Cavarnos traces the theological use of the halo in part to Mathew 13:43: "The righteous shall shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father." Halos were adapted from Hellenistic and Roman practices to separate holy personages (including emperors) from mortals.

If we found a cruciform nimbus from the 2nd/3rd century it would be really amazing.

Concerning the cruciform nimbus, the page references the following works:

Cavarnos, 30-32; Metford, 182; Meyendorf, 243; Murray, 224-225; Sloyan, 124.

We would have to search the bibliography (http://www.crosscrucifix.com/bibliography.htm).

Abigail
08-29-2009, 05:49 AM
According to Strong's 'shield' occurs 45 times in the Bible ( 44 occurrences in OT and 1 in NT - 1st occurrence: Genesis 15:1, last occurrence: Ephesians 6:16)
The plural 'shields' occurs 23 times - all occurrences being in OT

Three occurrences of shield occur in three consecutive verses of Psalm 115
V.9 O Israel, trust in the Lord; He is their help and their shield.
v.10 O house of Aaron, Trust in the Lord; He is their help and shield.
v.11 You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord; He is their help and their shield.

Victor
08-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Have you ever read the description of the Shield of Achilles in book 18 of Homer's Iliad?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shield_of_Achilles

Homer also describes Agamemnon's shield but the description is shorter and no divine origin is assigned to Agamemnon's shield. I have a quote in a book I am reading but unfortunately it doesnt have the Homer reference so I would need to dig for it.

"His massy shield o'ershadowing him whole,
High wrought and beautiful, he next assum'd.
Ten brazen circles bright around its field
Extensive, circle within circle, ran;
The central boss was black; but hemm'd about
With twice ten bosses of resplendent tin
There, dreadful ornament! the visage dark
Of Gorgon scowl'd border'd by Flight and Fear.
The loop was silver and a serpent form
Cerulean over all its surface twin'd.
Three heads erecting on one neck, the heads
Together wreath'd into a stately crown."

That's really captivating. The image of the Word of God as a Shield. From what I gather, shields such as those described in the Iliad (it's Book 11) were like "maps" containing history or representations of the cosmos, with layers of circles within circles. This shield was a weapon for fights and a work of art at the same time. Just like God's Word! The fact that the Greeks probably got them from the Bible lands make it all the more interesting!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Angelo_monticelli_shield-of-achilles.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/95/Angelo_monticelli_shield-of-achilles.jpg)
Shield of Acchiles

Victor
03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Another icon with the three arms inscribed the Halo of Christ:

http://www.studiobrien.com/images/phocagallery/gallerytest/thumbs/phoca_thumb_l_Our-Lady-icon-1-lowf.jpg
From studiobrien.com (http://www.biblewheel.com/forum/studiobrien.com).

Victor
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
http://www.byzantinecatholic.com/photos/PhotoAlbum3/images/Byz26.jpg
From Byzantine Catholic Church.com (http://www.byzantinecatholic.com/photos/PhotoAlbum3/Byz26.html)

Richard Amiel McGough
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Good find Victor. It's actually a "double" example because the smaller icon below is also explicitly tri-radiant.

Victor
04-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Good find Victor. It's actually a "double" example because the smaller icon below is also explicitly tri-radiant.

Good catch, Richard! Here's the bottom picture in greater detail:

http://www.byzantinecatholic.com/photos/PhotoAlbum3/images/Byz17.jpg

http://www.byzantinecatholic.com/photos/PhotoAlbum3/images/Byz15.jpg

This icon also caught my attention, but not for the tri-radiant pattern, which I didn't notice. It captured my interest because it is patterned just like the Bible Wheel: three distinct cycles surrounding Christ with the threefold Canon Wheel design reflected on the position of the Lord's Arms, which stand slightly upraised just like the canonical divisions on the Wheel. Endless wonder!

Richard Amiel McGough
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Good catch, Richard! Here's the bottom picture in greater detail:

This icon also caught my attention, but not for the tri-radiant pattern, which I didn't notice. It captured my interest because it is patterned just like the Bible Wheel: three distinct cycles surrounding Christ with the threefold Canon Wheel design reflected on the position of the Lord's Arms, which stand slightly upraised just like the canonical divisions on the Wheel. Endless wonder!
Excellent. Those Greeks sure are into art! I've seen many icons that use concentric circles. The one you found is particularly beautiful because it also mimics the Spokes (though there are too many).

Victor
04-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Those Greeks sure are into art!

No doubt about that. :)

Outside the same church there's a pretty similar icon. It is beautiful.

http://www.byzantinecatholic.com/photos/PhotoAlbum3/images/Byz40.jpg

http://www.byzantinecatholic.com/photos/PhotoAlbum3/images/Byz42.jpg

Rose
04-21-2010, 04:44 PM
http://godandbutterfly.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/normal_TR101.jpg

Here is another image that shows clearly that there are only three rays on the Halo of Christ.

Rose

Richard Amiel McGough
04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
http://godandbutterfly.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/normal_TR101.jpg

Here is another image that shows clearly that there are only three rays on the Halo of Christ.

Rose
Nice find. The caption reads: H ERGESIS TO LAZARIS (The Raising of Lazarus). It's a standard iconic form. Here is one from the 16th century:

http://campus.belmont.edu/honors/FestalIcons/16CreteLazarusIcon.jpg

Rose
04-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Here is an interesting Byzantine Icon with the Tri-Radiant depicted as a green ribbon on the tunic of the baby Jesus.

http://godandbutterfly.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/athensbabyjesus_icon.jpg

This more modern Icon clearly shows only three rays in the Halo of baby Jesus.

http://godandbutterfly.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/IC_sweet.gif

Rose

Victor
04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
This more modern Icon clearly shows only three rays in the Halo of baby Jesus.

http://godandbutterfly.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/IC_sweet.gif

Rose

Such a beautiful image!

Victor
04-22-2010, 12:50 PM
The following stained glass window displays three instances of threefold radiance:

http://www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk/Mainwindow.jpg

In detail:

Dove

http://www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk/Dove.jpg

Christ the King

http://www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk/Face.jpg

Cross and Orb

http://www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk/Orb.jpg

(From www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk (http://www.biblewheel.com/forum/www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk))

Richard Amiel McGough
04-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Cross and Orb

http://www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk/Orb.jpg

(From www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk (http://www.biblewheel.com/forum/www.stjohns-leytonstone.org.uk))
Excellent find Victor! The Dove is quite explicit. And the three end points of the cross above the orb emphasize the tri-radiance because they are distinct from the vertical bar connected to the base orb. This is a very common design. For example, here is the an image engraved on the front of the First Covenant Church that I used on the cover of the book in which the base is entirely separate from the tri-radiant bars of the cross:

http://biblewheel.com/Art/Facade.jpg

I'm pretty sure the designer intended the three rays connected to the perfect undivided circle as a symbolic representation of the doctrine of the Trinity.

Richard