PDA

View Full Version : Mindsight

Rose
11-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Just read a fascinating book called Mindsight by Daniel Siegel. This video gives a good overview of what he calls the new science of personal transformation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu7wEr8AnHw

Here is a link to Daniel Siegel's Website http://drdansiegel.com/

Rose

Rose
12-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Our brains our amazing! Here is another excellent 2 part video with Dan Siegle speaking on the resilience of the brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hY7wMspPbxo#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7lTQ0PJm_8&feature=related

You can by his book Mindsight through Amazon...we have a link to it from our Home page (http://www.biblewheel.com/index.php).

Rose
12-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Another excellent lecture by Dan Siegel on the Mind, the Brain, and Human Relationships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7kBgaZLHaA&feature=player_embedded#!

Rose
05-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Exploring Relationships and Reflection in the Cultivation of Well-Being

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LiyaSr5aeho#!

David M
05-04-2012, 02:11 AM
Our brain is truly amazing. It is the most complex organ in our body and who can know it?

I watched the one video. What I saw in the one video was a clenched fist. As certain things were said, I thought, "it is a pity he does not put fist in mouth".

In the words of the Psalmist: (Ps 139)
14 I will praise thee (God); for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!

The speaker was right about getting wisdom; it is a pity he does not have any of God's wisdom;

Psalm 111: 10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments:

Proverbs 3
13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
14 For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.
16 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour.
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

This speaker's words have no hope for humanity. His words are lost in the wind and pointless. Having a relationship with God that counts. Unfortunately, that is what most people do not want. Instead they will go their own way.

Eccl 5
15 As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand.
16 And this also is a sore evil, that in all points as he came, so shall he go: and what profit hath he that hath laboured for the wind?
17 All his days also he eateth in darkness, and he hath much sorrow and wrath with his sickness.
18 Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.
19 Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God.
20 For he shall not much remember the days of his life; because God answereth him in the joy of his heart.

David

Craig.Paardekooper
05-04-2012, 02:35 AM
There are undoubtedly spiritual principles governing our spiritual life, just as there are natural laws governing physical matter.

Spiritual laws might include principles to do with -

finding meaning and purpose
happiness
justice and ethical awareness, human values
transcendence of ego

It would be a good exercise to rewrite religions in terms of universally applicable spiritual principles that would serve as a powerful resource for guidance. Such principles would find wide acceptance, and create a solid framework for culture.

Timmy
05-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Is there a real "objective world" and "out there" is to be how it is understood?

They create three dimensional models and confuse the map for a preternatural multiplicitous fractal plane of existence indivisibly more than seven, of which physical existence is but a fraction.

Certainly for the sake of rationale we compartmentalize existence into a reductionalized:
1.) this
and
2.) not-that
and
3.)non-,
. . .yet how DO WE failing not bring it all back together again and experience the whole?

. . .and how many ever neglect the fact that G_d
--His great vastness beyond even the confines of quantum flux remains far above and beyond, seperate from, yet always here and never silent--
is ever speaking. . .
. . .and we inadvertently perpetually misinterpret His Voice ?

Certainly RAM's words find a rightful place at this point:
"Religion is the root of all silliness."

In our ever expanding re-learning about the magnanimous cacophany of various (incorrectly percieved) "waveforms" some have come to realize nothing is this, or not-that, nor non-.

Why even some Western among many Eastern philosophies are at genesis in realizing what actually is "out there" is a full void known to be our now realized penultimate paradox where space, time, force, and form are merely illusions we try to use as representations of this thing that most, with blinders on and fully operative, misunderstand to be "out there."

Long ago Timmy said, "Hey guys, you think we can't see because you give us a view of a cart in front of the horse, yet whether you realize it or not, both the cart or the horse are not real except to you.
The emporer has no clothes."

The perspective of "this" "one" concerning the Western world's cultured mindset places some such as mathematicians, physicist, and biologists,for examples, as the more astute of philosophers
--(and on another note STS) every artist a preacher and oft times a prophet.

. . .but of Western science, it is the physicists who resonate most clearly in this noggin':

"Ultimately, all moments are really one. Therefore now is eternity," penned David Bohm. . .and Sir Albert E. stated, "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion."
. .and yet we all live linear LIEves. . .
. . .to which thought the Mathematician Gardner explains space and time are the glasses and two lenses of perception, without which we would not see, though the world is not directly percievable.
. . .and it's supposed he's trying to explain that it's like trying to see the true picture of yourself and your world when you actually are the picture.

So how does a picture look at itself or a picture of itself?

Religion most likely is the root of all silliness, yet this silliness appears to manifest when veering in directions that really are not all that viable IRL.

Having understood the Surangama Sutra in this issue, these various labels of compartmentalization are truly without meaning, and the Hindu notion of Maya merits at least honorable mention as the source of that notion.

Why even St. Augustine believed eternity is with us here and now; but he also believed it is impossible for this to be on hand for mere humans.

Compartmentalizations, labels, silliness, subjectif(whY)ing the objective and objectif(whY)ing the subjective, this, that, not this, not that, non-this, non-that and so on and on and on this wheel spins.

"Bibles, Wheels, and Brains"
(Richardo, i love it! Is it the intent towards integration of the right and left hemisphere?)

So what is "nothing"???
Even saying it's a bladeless knife without a handgrip is faulty.

Oh, and then we could prattle on about religiousity in relation to the sympathy and antipathy and sychronicity of things and how our own pride in our beliefs set us up for demise but it is probable the most redundant circular argument there is, even though most fail to explore it with where they are in life right now and where they are going and what they are doing.

Suffice it to say, "Question everything. . .particularily thy selfs 350. . .and welcome to the vortex.

The Bible itself states the earth is set on a foundation of nothing. . .and in this final word we'll conclude:

"By faith(fulness) we understand
the ages were prepared by the word of Elohim,
so that seen things were not made of what is visible."
Hebrews 11.3

From The Center Hub
or
Just another thought in the mind of G_d,

Timmy

Richard Amiel McGough
05-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Is there a real "objective world" and "out there" is to be how it is understood?

That would be a great topic for a thread in the philosophy section. I'm not currently committed to any particular metaphysical worldview, but I have always tended towards Idealism where Mind/Consciousness is the "Ground of Being." When I was a Christian I thought of everything as like a Cosmic Dream - a "thought" in the Mind of God with the so-called "Laws of Nature" arising from the fact that his thoughts upholding Reality were very consistent. This view still seems to be the most likely.

They create three dimensional models and confuse the map for a preternatural multiplicitous fractal plane of existence indivisibly more than seven, of which physical existence is but a fraction.

Certainly for the sake of rationale we compartmentalize existence into a reductionalized:
1.) this
and
2.) not-that
and
3.)non-,
. . .yet how DO WE failing not bring it all back together again and experience the whole?

BINGO! :thumb:

Tthe this/that division is the essence of language which is the way the dominant left hemisphere processes reality. It chops up the whole. The literal meaning of "analysis" is to "break apart" as in breaking things into pieces identified by words so we can make a model. And then we confuse the left-brain model with the image of the whole and find ourselves lost in an intellectual world of

. . .and how many ever neglect the fact that G_d
--great vastness beyond even the confines of quantum flux stand far above and beyond, seperate from yet always here and never silent--
is ever speaking. . .
. . .and we inadvertently perpetually misinterpret His Voice .

I don't know what you mean when you say that the Voice of God is "never silent" and "is ever speaking." Personally, I don't hear any such Voice though there were times in the past I thought I did. But even then, it was nothing like a constant speaking. It was a very rare event.

Certainly RAM's words find a rightful place at this point:
"Religion is the root of all silliness."

Ha! Even an ass can speak once in a while.

In our ever expanding re-learning about the magnanimous cacophany of various (incorrectly percieved) "waveforms" some have come to realize nothing is this, or not-that, nor non-.

Quantum Mechanics messes with the Aristotelian excluded middle. An electron simultaneously is and is not a particle/wave. But the epistemology of QM may not really be that strange. The waves are really waves of probability of where we would find the particle. The particle itself need never be thought of as a "wave." It may be that QM demonstrates the nature and limitations of the left-brain process of labeling things so they can be manipulated with language. The "particle" is the elementary "thing" used to break apart and analyze the "whole" so when we look real close, we see its limitations (wave/particle duality). This is pretty tricky stuff ... it would make a great thread in the Physics section.

Why even some Western among many Eastern philosophies are at genesis in realizing what actually is "out there" is a full void known to be our now realized penultimate paradox where space, time, force, and form are merely illusions we try to use as representations of this thing that most, with blinders on and fully operative, misunderstand to be "out there."

Long ago Timmy said, "Hey guys, you think we can't see because you give us a view of a cart in front of the horse, yet whether you realize it or not, both the cart or the horse are not real except to you.
The emporer has no clothes."

That makes some sense, but on the other hand I tend to think that you are rejecting half of reality when you divide it into "in here" vs. "out there" and then suggest there is no "out there." Dualistic thinking is impossible to avoid if we try to use language to understand the unified whole of Reality.

The perspective of "this" "one" concerning the Western world's cultured mindset places some such as mathematicians, physicist, and biologists,for examples, as the more astute of philosophers
--(and on another note STS) every artist a preacher and oft times a prophet.

. . .but of Western science, it is the physicists who resonate most clearly in this noggin':

Me like! Me was Physics student @ U. Knee. Verse. It. E. Me bad. Me no complete dissertation on Time Irreversibility in Quantum Physics.

"Ultimately, all moments are really one. Therefore now is eternity," penned David Bohm. . .and Sir Albert E. stated, "This distinction between past, present, and future is only an illusion. . .and yet we all live linear LIEves. . .
. . .to which thought the Mathematician Gardner explains space and time are the glasses and two lenses of perception, without which we would not see, though the world is not directly percievable.
. . .and it's supposed he's trying to explain that it's like trying to see the true picture of yourself and your world when you actually are the picture.

That maketh much sense ... though it seems impossible to really put it in words. Time is perhaps the most difficult aspect of everyday reality to explore with words.

Having understood the Surangama Sutra in this issue, these various labels of compartmentalization are truly without meaning, and the Hindu notion of Maya merits at least honorable mention as the source of that notion.

Yes, but when I try to believe in Maya, I find that it doesn't really exist, it's just an illusion! :p

It's not dissimilar to the problem with Christian Science which says that everything is really perfect, the only problem is our erroneous perception that thinks there is error! Thus they believe that a broken leg is not really broken, but just being perceived inaccurately. But then we must ask where the "erroneous perception" came from if everything is really perfect.

Why even St. Augustine believed eternity is with us here and now; but he also believed it is impossible for this to be on hand for mere humans.

I don't really have much respect for Augustine. He made up a bunch of crap that really screwed up Christianity worse than it already was. I think I'll call him the Revered Doctor of Silliness.

Compartmentalizations, labels, silliness, subjectif(whY)ing the objective and objectif(whY)ing the subjective, this, that, not this, not that, non-this, non-that and so on and on and on this wheel spins.

"BIBLE, SCIENCE, BRAINS"
(Richardo, i love it! Is it the intent towards integration of the right and left hemisphere?)

You got it! Religion (Right) Science (Left) unified in the whole Brain consisting of both. It's amazing that I was able to transmogrify the url. I am really happy with finding this narrow path that freed this site from being the "biblewheel" to being a freethinking exploration of Religion, Science, and Mind. I feel quite renewed and very free. Highly energized. My site is finally beginning to reflect who I am and who I am becoming. I didn't think it was possible because I've basically been possessed by the "Bible Wheel" for the last 17 years. Now I'm moving forward, building on everything that went before but transformed into something entirely new. It's like the metamorphosis of a caterpillar into a butterfly. The same materials are BROKEN APART and then recombined to form something new and extraordinary. It mimics the style of biological evolution which must always build upon what came before. This can result in some less than optimal designs, such as the recurrent laryngeal nerve in giraffes (http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/06/the_laryngeal_nerve_of_the_gir.php) which simultaneously confirms Evolution even as it contradicts Intelligent Design. Check out this short video on the linked page.

So what is "nothing"???
Even saying it's a bladeless knife without a handgrip is faulty.

That's the problem with philosophy. The moment you suggest that we talk about nothing, and then you continue talking, you have contradicted yourself. And as everyone knows, a logical contradiction can be used to prove anything.

Oh, and then we could prattle on about religiousity in relation to the sympathy and antipathy and sychronicity of things and how our own pride in our beliefs set us up for demise but it is probable the most redundant circular argument there is, even though most fail to explore it with where they are in life right now and where they are going and what they are doing.

Oh my ... you are really tracking with my recent thoughts! Just a couple days ago it occurred to me that Dogmatic Religions are particularly bad because they link the EGO RESPONSE of being RIGHT to your basic survival instinct that wants to avoid eternal suffering in hell. So now, it's not just a matter of "pride" that you be right, but a matter of life or death! You MUST BE RIGHT or you will suffer eternally. This is another example of how religions tend to RETARD spiritual growth.

Suffice it to say, "Question everything. . .particularily thy selfs 350. . .and welcome to the vortex.

Don't forget to question your questions!

The Bible itself states the earth is set on a foundation of nothing. . .and in this final word we'll conclude:

Ha! I never read that in light of the view of modern physicists like Stephen Hawking you say that the universe came from nothing. Quantum fluctuation. Etc. :specool:

From The Center Hub
or
Just another thought in the mind of G_d,

Timmy
I dig that.

Peace bro!

:hippie: