PDA

View Full Version : ALLEGORY

duxrow
05-10-2011, 09:00 AM
<h2>ALLEGORY</h2>
Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. Gal 4:24 [This is the only place the word "allegory" is used.. but poetry and figures of speech stretch throughout the 66 books of the Bible.]

The classic example is from 2Sam12 where the "man of God", Nathan, told David the story of how the rich man barbecued the poor man's lamb for himself (but it was really the story of how David had stolen Bathsheba and dispatched Urriah to his death).

David hadn't recognized the allegory told by Nathan and declared how the rich man should die for that terrible deed, but upon hearing "Thou art the man" from gutsy Nathan, he immediately knew what Nathan's story really meant. And scripture has other allegories too:

Like how Samson grabbed an entire gate of the city and carried it up the hill, and Jesus said "the gates of hell shall not prevail". Like how Samson pulled down those pillars in Dagon's temple, and the NT says "mighty to the pulling down of strongholds".

Like how Jacob taking a stone for a pillow is like how Jesus is the stone that the builders rejected, but we know Him as the Rock who is the head of the church. Jacob wrestling the angel is like how we wrestle the scriptures; the Word of God.

Like how Gideon armed his men with trumpets, and pitchers with lamps inside, to illustrate the NT spiritual battle when we take the Sword of the Spirit, Eph6:17, and let our light shine after becoming ‘broken vessels', surrendering to Holy Authority.

Like how the sinner Rahab hiding of the 2 spies led to her being "saved", Josh6:25, because "thy Word have I hid in mine heart" and the Word is the dual-natured Jesus.

Like how Joseph in Egypt is a type of Jesus (do the analogies), and how Samuel is a type of the Holy Ghost, and David's battle with Goliath teaches us concerning the NT Armor of God. The "Confounding of the Language", Gen 11:7, may be "Greek" to some, but the gist is even seen in our Own tongue!

These are some of my own favorites--not saying that everyone will see them the same way. Okay?