PDA

View Full Version : Hebrew Translation for Dummies

MuadDib987
10-01-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm reading The Restitution Of All Things, as recommended on another thread, and am looking up various scriptures presented therein to see their context. I come to Lamentations 3:31. . ."For the Lord will not cast off for ever", and look at the original Hebrew (I typically use blueletterbible.org) to see that the verse consists of . . .

'Adonay (the Lord)
zanach (to cast off, reject, spurn, etc.)
`owlam (long duration, antiquity, futurity, etc.)

. . .and I'm curious where the negative sense ("not casting off") in this text comes from. I assume it's related to the tenses and usage of the original Hebrew words and so forth? I'm an utter novice at this sort of thing, and I assume one would need to really learn the language to become adept at proper understanding and to avoid sloppy and ultimately questionable interpretations from the original Hebrew or Greek words? I'm always eager to get to the bottom of God's original intent, but have no desire to become an armchair wannabe scholar and butcher stuff :smash:

Richard Amiel McGough
10-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm reading The Restitution Of All Things, as recommended on another thread, and am looking up various scriptures presented therein to see their context. I come to Lamentations 3:31. . ."For the Lord will not cast off for ever", and look at the original Hebrew (I typically use blueletterbible.org (http://blueletterbible.org)) to see that the verse consists of . . .

'Adonay (the Lord)
zanach (to cast off, reject, spurn, etc.)
`owlam (long duration, antiquity, futurity, etc.)

. . .and I'm curious where the negative sense ("not casting off") in this text comes from. I assume it's related to the tenses and usage of the original Hebrew words and so forth? I'm an utter novice at this sort of thing, and I assume one would need to really learn the language to become adept at proper understanding and to avoid sloppy and ultimately questionable interpretations from the original Hebrew or Greek words? I'm always eager to get to the bottom of God's original intent, but have no desire to become an armchair wannabe scholar and butcher stuff :smash:
Hi Muadib987,

The transliterated Hebrew reads as follows:

Ki (For)
lo (not)
yiznach (will cast off)
l'olam (for ever)
Adonai (the Lord)

The second word "lo" is the negative particle. It's spelt Lamed Aleph. It's very common in the Ten Commandments. For example, the 6th, 7th, and 8th commandments read:

6: Lo tirtzach (No you shall murder)
7: Lo tina'aph (No you shall commit adultery)
8: Lo tignov (No you shall steal)

Richard