PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this?

kathryn
12-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi All..I watched this last night and found it quite fascinating. However, knowing little about the topics he is discussing, I have no way of discerning how accurate the science is. I would appreciate your comments if you have time to watch it. This is part one of a four hour presentation.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3246068643261697998#

Richard Amiel McGough
12-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi All..I watched this last night and found it quite fascinating. However, knowing little about the topics he is discussing, I have no way of discerning how accurate the science is. I would appreciate your comments if you have time to watch it. This is part one of a four hour presentation.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3246068643261697998#
Hi Kathryn,

I can see why you would find it "fascinating." It touches (and claims to connect to) everything under the sun. Unfortunately, it's all crap. Pure post-digested 100% New Age Crap Flakes. He doesn't have a clue about any real science. He just tosses a great word salad, making up whatever sounds good and claiming it is "proven" by Nostradamus, Quantum Physics, The Great Pyramid, or Mayan's who were really inter-dimensional time travelers. The dude is totally whacked to the max. You can get all the info you need to debunk him by reading the reviews of his books on Amazon.com. For example, consider this one-star review (http://www.amazon.com/review/RPG97J7QZQZJ0/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1401920640&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=) of his current NYT bestseller Fractal Time: The Secret of 2012 and a New World Age (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401920640/ref=cm_rdp_product):

On page 102 is where the author clearly shows total lack of knowledge on something so elementary as his usage of negative exponents. He used two negative exponent numbers in two totally different ways, neither of them correct.

p 102: an attosecond, one-quintillionth of a second IS NOT 1 followed by 18 zeros as the author states. One followed by 18 zero seconds would be equivalent to about 32 billion years (31.69 billion). One attosecond is a decimal point followed by 17 zeros then the number 1, as in .000000000000000001.

p 102: Planck TIme ( 10 to the -43 power) IS NOT "minus 10 with 43 zeros after it". That would be a HUGE negative number and not Planck Time which is a VERY VERY small decimal number. Planck TIme is a decimal point followed by 42 zeros then the number one as in .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 and it is not a negative value.

Let me try to show how totally wrong the author is in these two assessments of negative exponents. Let's assume your bank sent you a bank statement stating that your current checking account balance was 1 x 10 to the negative second dollars (Amazon won't allow me to use actual exponential notation with a -2 superscript). I know the bank wouldn't give your balance in this way, just bear with me and humor me. In the first case, the author would assume his balance was 100 dollars. In the second case he would assume a balance of -1000 dollars or 1000 dollars in the hole) In reality, the bank balance would be 1 cent or .01 dollars.

p 106: ".. is that energy appears to be moving away from one place in the center of the universe." There is no center to the universe. The Big Bang created the universe and the space that the universe is expanding into (as the universe expands the space is created), but there is no center to the universe.
To confirm these errors I Googled the phrase "minus 10 with 43 zeros after it" and found his book in Google books here (http://books.google.com/books?id=R4LEj_LUtd0C&pg=PA102&lpg=PA102&dq=%22minus+10+with+43+zeros+after+it%22&source=bl&ots=GzR7fKgB-I&sig=oDc7EtH6oLLrJE1wwir9fCttE6c&hl=en&ei=xuAcTZTbPI_CsAPi9ojuAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22minus%2010%20with%2043%20zeros%20after%20it%2 2&f=false). It would be one thing if he made a single exceedingly moronic misstatement about the meaning of negative exponents, but he did it twice within the space of a single paragraph! For him to "reveal" the hidden meaning of modern physics would be like a moron who can't add 1 + 2 claiming to reveal the "secrets" of calculus.

It's ludicrous beyond all description. It is ludicrous that it got published. But more ludicrous still is the fact that his book reached number 5 on the New York Times bestseller list! It just shows how the American mind has morphed into moronic mush. Of course, we already knew that had happened after witnessing the bestselling status of the LLBS (Ludicrous Left Behind Series).

All the best,

Richard

kathryn
12-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Yikes! :eek: Ok..thanks Richard! I guess I was fast on my way to becoming a puddle of moronic mush :D
What about his claims of the magnetics of the earth decreasing and the "pulse" going from 7.8 to 9? And the experiments with the dna? The photons lining up with the dna really sounded credible...and if it IS true, it certainly lends some credence to what he was saying.....in some small way....doesn't it???:confused:

kathryn
12-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Just wanted to add that I would certainly agree that the Left Behind series is moronic mush. I guess this is the scientific equivalent?:winking0071:
Guess I'd better stop judging the "morons" though, seeing as how I could have easily swallowed this, hook, line and sinker.

kathryn
12-30-2010, 10:31 PM
One more little thing Richard...No...reading those reviews doesn't help me a bit. I'm one of those people who could read the definition of a planke (sp?) number until I'm blue in the face...and even if one bit me in broad daylight, still couldn't identify it.

Richard Amiel McGough
12-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Just wanted to add that I would certainly agree that the Left Behind series is moronic mush. I guess this is the scientific equivalent?:winking0071:
Guess I'd better stop judging the "morons" though, seeing as how I could have easily swallowed this, hook, line and sinker.
Hey there Kathryn,

I meant to mention that he was very convincing in the video you linked, and I found myself thinking he might be legit. That was until he said that the "ether" (which was disproven in the 19th century) was now called the quantum field and the "Mind of God" by Stephen Hawkins, I knew he was just making up garbage. (I studied physics in college).

So anyway, I probably should avoid judging the "morons" too ... there are other directions I'd like to gaze in. And I certainly did not mean to make you feel stupid! But sometimes my frustration gets the better of me and I "vent" .... sorry! But on the other hand, there is so much crazy crap out there that it's probably good to call like I see it.

Great chatting,

Richard

kathryn
12-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Richard, being that you studied physics, do you know if the experiments he spoke of regarding the DNA, were legit? If they were...I confess his conclusions regarding them didn't seem off base. (also the particle/wave experiment) And....do you know if his data about the earth was correct? (the magnetics and the "pulse"?) Those were the particular aspects of the video I was facinated with and extremely curious about.

Richard Amiel McGough
12-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Richard, being that you studied physics, do you know if the experiments he spoke of regarding the DNA, were legit? If they were...I confess his conclusions regarding them didn't seem off base. (also the particle/wave experiment) And....do you know if his data about the earth was correct? (the magnetics and the "pulse"?) Those were the particular aspects of the video I was facinated with and extremely curious about.
Hey there Kathryn,

I've done a little more research, and I must tell you that I would not believe Gregg Braden if he told me water was wet. The guy busted my BS meter. He is one of the most outrageous snake-oil salesman I have ever seen. He said that "shock waves travel through interstellar space" from the Shoemaker-Levi comet collision on Jupiter that "affect the water vapor on earth" as well as our DNA and emotional relationships. This is lunacy of such magnitude that it leaves me pretty much speechless. And his stuff about the earth's magnetic field is ridiculously absurd. He says that the decreasing field implies the earth is slowing down, and says it is slowing so much that the clocks would be off by 12 hours per decade if not adjusted! He's just plain nuts in the most extreme sense imaginable. It seems he has collected every crack-pot concept ever conceived and just spews them out as if all the "scientists" and "researchers" (two words he repeated throughout his video) completely supported his crazed ravings.

There's no two ways about Gregg Braden. He is a crack-pot extraordinaire. His lunatic ravings are worse than worthless.

All the best,

Richard

kathryn
12-31-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks for spending so much time on this Richard. I believe you! However..I would really like to know specifically about those experiments. Regardless if this guy is a nut job, they were fascinating and I'd really like to hear a true scientific response to the results. If you ever come across anything about them, please let me know. Again..thanks for the time.

Richard Amiel McGough
12-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for spending so much time on this Richard. I believe you! However..I would really like to know specifically about those experiments. Regardless if this guy is a nut job, they were fascinating and I'd really like to hear a true scientific response to the results. If you ever come across anything about them, please let me know. Again..thanks for the time.
I didn't see anything about any "experiments" in the video I watched. But I only watched the first video under the link you posted. Was it in a later video?

I did see his stuff relating to the earths magnetic field, but it was bunk.

I did not see anything about DNA or the wave/particle duality. But I can confirm that there are some amazing facts relating to the wave/particle duality in Quantum mechanics. That was an area I focused on quite a bit when working on my PhD in QM (which I never finished :mad:). I'd be delighted to discuss that with you.

And if there were any other experiments you wanted to discuss, all you need to do is tell me specifically where to find them and I will review them. I find it quite interesting ....

All the best, and Happy New Year!

Richard

yahman
10-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I didn't see anything about any "experiments" in the video I watched. But I only watched the first video under the link you posted. Was it in a later video?

I did see his stuff relating to the earths magnetic field, but it was bunk.

I did not see anything about DNA or the wave/particle duality. But I can confirm that there are some amazing facts relating to the wave/particle duality in Quantum mechanics. That was an area I focused on quite a bit when working on my PhD in QM (which I never finished :mad:). I'd be delighted to discuss that with you.

And if there were any other experiments you wanted to discuss, all you need to do is tell me specifically where to find them and I will review them. I find it quite interesting ....

All the best, and Happy New Year!

Richard

yahman
10-28-2011, 10:17 PM
There is a lot of bull out there but we must not rule out what we do not understand I have seen Greg and fined some of what he seas to be true. In my mind that dos not mean that I have put all my eggs in his basket
but there may or may not be any truth in him. I think we need to stop calling
people we don't know crazy based on subjective truth and just here what they say
and try to make a logical analysis based on what we can prove and I can say
some of the DNA commentary can be corroborated by other Dr's. There is a book
called a THE GENIE IN YOUR GENES by DR DAWSON CHURCH that can confirm some of Greg's theory's on DNA and add much more to IT

All I know is science has called some of the greatest minds like Tesla and so Meany others
crazy or out of there minds and then run with there findings and use them for mass gain
this technology is all around us that's proof they lied to all of us, so when someone seas things like
crazy or nuts that and tells me we need to look closer . just because four out of five dentist surveyed
seas its good for you, then on the small print (on the tooth past) warning a pea sized amount
of tooth past ingested is a reason to call poison control you might want to re evaluate DR's that were
unnamed to do a surveyed to prov how good it is for you and at the same time in small print
say that basically what you are putting in you mouth is poison it's in black and white can we see or not, I have my doubts

Richard Amiel McGough
10-28-2011, 10:36 PM
There is a lot of bull out there but we must not rule out what we do not understand I have seen Greg and fined some of what he seas to be true. In my mind that dos not mean that I have put all my eggs in his basket
but there may or may not be any truth in him. I think we need to stop calling
people we don't know crazy based on subjective truth and just here what they say
and try to make a logical analysis based on what we can prove and I can say
some of the DNA commentary can be corroborated by other Dr's. There is a book
called a THE GENIE IN YOUR GENES by DR DAWSON CHURCH that can confirm some of Greg's theory's on DNA and add much more to IT

All I know is science has called some of the greatest minds like Tesla and so Meany others
crazy or out of there minds and then run with there findings and use them for mass gain
this technology is all around us that's proof they lied to all of us, so when someone seas things like
crazy or nuts that and tells me we need to look closer . just because four out of five dentist surveyed
seas its good for you, then on the small print (on the tooth past) warning a pea sized amount
of tooth past ingested is a reason to call poison control you might want to re evaluate DR's that were
unnamed to do a surveyed to prov how good it is for you and at the same time in small print
say that basically what you are putting in you mouth is poison it's in black and white can we see or not, I have my doubts
I completely agree that we should have open minds. But we also should expose crap when we see it. The world is filled with false claims, and religious folks are particularly susceptible because they have been taught to believe what they are told and to not use their brains.