PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, a Wicked Spammer got in

Richard Amiel McGough
09-03-2007, 10:43 AM
An evil spammer by the name gracex recently signed up and sent a lot of folks private messages that contained the following text:

Originally Posted by gracex
From Sister(Mrs).Grace Williams
Abidjan Cote d Ivoire West Africa
Dearest in the lord,

I am Mrs Grace A.Williams , from Kuwait. I am married to late Mr Jacob Williams , who worked with Kuwait Embassy in Ivory Coast for Sixteen years before he died in the year 2004,after a brief illness that lasted for only five days. We were married for Eighteen years with a duaghter (Natasha) who later died in a motor accident.
Before the untimely death of my husband,we were both born again Christians(from Moslem to Christianity). And since after his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home . When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of (US$2.5M )Two Million,Five hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in a General Trust Account with a prime bank in Abidjan Cote d Ivoire.
Following my ill health, being a victim to cancer , I have decided to donate this fund to a Christain organizations (Church) that will utilize this fund the way I am going to instruct herein,according to the desire of my late husband. I want this fund to be used in Christain Activities like,Orphanages, Christain schools, and Churches for propagating the word of God and to endeavour that the house of God is maintained.
I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians .
I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way. This is why I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace".
I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health as well the presence of my husband's relatives around me .I don't want them to know about this development. As soon as I receive your reply, I shall give you the contact of the bank here in Abidjan. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth.
Please always be prayerful all through your life as well commit me into your daily prayers. Contact me on this e-mail (gracxx@yahoo.com) , any delay in your reply will give me room to source another Church for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply immediately .

Remain blessed in the Lord.
Yours in Christ,
Sister Grace A.Williams.
Avenue 4 Marcory residential
14 bp 211 Abidjan 14These kinds of wicked emails - designed to steal money in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ - have been going around for years. The trick is that in order to get your millions of dollars, you first need to pay a few "fees."

All such messages should be deleted upon receipt.

Richard

deb
09-04-2007, 05:29 AM
I think you should look again, there is NO mention of the Lord Jesus Christ.

A christian? who lies to her husband's kin? wants me to join in on the lie?

Deborah... who gets what you mean but had to say this anyway.

Richard Amiel McGough
09-04-2007, 10:18 AM
I think you should look again, there is NO mention of the Lord Jesus Christ.

A christian? who lies to her husband's kin? wants me to join in on the lie?

Deborah... who gets what you mean but had to say this anyway.

Hi Deb,

OK, let's look again. First thing to note is that the scam letter was signed with reference to both the "Lord" and "Christ":

Remain blessed in the Lord.
Yours in Christ,
Sister Grace A.Williams.
Avenue 4 Marcory residential
14 bp 211 Abidjan 14

Taking a look at the body of the note again, we see constant references to Christians, the Church, and the Lord. Now I grant that the name "Jesus" appears nowhere in the letter, but that does not mean they were not scamming in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ because Christians are defined as followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. Here is the scam letter with the relevant words highlighted:

Before the untimely death of my husband,we were both born again Christians(from Moslem to Christianity). And since after his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home . When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of (US$2.5M )Two Million,Five hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in a General Trust Account with a prime bank in Abidjan Cote d Ivoire.
Following my ill health, being a victim to cancer , I have decided to donate this fund to a Christain organizations (Church) that will utilize this fund the way I am going to instruct herein,according to the desire of my late husband. I want this fund to be used in Christain Activities like,Orphanages, Christain schools, and Churches for propagating the word of God and to endeavour that the house of God is maintained.
I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians .
I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way. This is why I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace".
I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my health as well the presence of my husband's relatives around me .I don't want them to know about this development. As soon as I receive your reply, I shall give you the contact of the bank here in Abidjan. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth.
Please always be prayerful all through your life as well commit me into your daily prayers. Contact me on this e-mail (gracxx@yahoo.com) , any delay in your reply will give me room to source another Church for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply immediately .

STATS:

6 occurrences of Christian, Christians, or Christianity
3 occurrences of Lord
1 occurrence of Christ
3 occurrences of Church, Churches, or House of God
2 occurrences of prayers, or prayerful
1 reference to Word of God
1 Scripture citation (Exodus 14:14)

That letter is definitely a scam in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Richard

deb
09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
You are very good with details. It was "her" that irritated me, not your use of the phrase you used to describe the thing.

Yes, I see what you are saying, but I still do not see the honor one would expect of a believer in Y’shua, just a lot of phrases and words meant to deceive if possible.

I don't want to fight with you about it, I even think you are not wrong.
I just don't see her doing anything in the name of "the Lord Jesus Christ" as I understand it

There is no noticeable submission here, just a lot of words. But really, who cares if it divides us, there are bigger fish to fry... in unity. So please, with love in Messiah, you can have this one if you want. I respect you too much to want to be right about my own silly opinion.

Thanks for responding... and for being so careful with words.
Deborah... onward and upward

Richard Amiel McGough
09-04-2007, 04:39 PM
You are very good with details. It was "her" that irritated me, not your use of the phrase you used to describe the thing.

Yes, I see what you are saying, but I still do not see the honor one would expect of a believer in Y’shua, just a lot of phrases and words meant to deceive if possible.

I don't want to fight with you about it, I even think you are not wrong.
I just don't see her doing anything in the name of "the Lord Jesus Christ" as I understand it

There is no noticeable submission here, just a lot of words. But really, who cares if it divides us, there are bigger fish to fry... in unity. So please, with love in Messiah, you can have this one if you want. I respect you too much to want to be right about my own silly opinion.

Thanks for responding... and for being so careful with words.
Deborah... onward and upward
Hey there Deb!

Sorry I didn't make my post clear ... I don't think we're fighting about anything! :yo:

I thought I was just clearing things up ... but I guess I didn't make that clear in the post. This is a really good reminder how easy it is to misunderstand tone on internet forums. There's no body language, no inflection of words, so its all to easy to misunderstand each other.

So all is good.

See ya round! :)

Richard

Searl Miller
09-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Spam-Bots are rampant on the Internet and many figures given for total forum membership are inflated by fraudulent members. However; this is the first instance I've heard of where a spam-bot has used a membership to leap-frog into members' E-mail boxes.

Most spam-bots are conspicuous by some combination of their senseless user names, or non-existent locations, and the fact that they never post anything.

Some names make sense but are indicative of their purpose such as bluepill, funlover, elektrasale, imaswinger, etc.

Shalom.
________
R1200GS (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/BMW_R1200GS)

Richard Amiel McGough
09-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Spam-Bots are rampant on the Internet and many figures given for total forum membership are inflated by fraudulent members. However; this is the first instance I've heard of where a spam-bot has used a membership to leap-frog into members' E-mail boxes.

Most spam-bots are conspicuous by some combination of their senseless user names, or non-existent locations, and the fact that they never post anything.

Some names make sense but are indicative of their purpose such as bluepill, funlover, elektrasale, imaswinger, etc.

Shalom.
Hi Searl,

Yes, most bot-generated spam is pretty easy to recognize. I'm pretty sure it was not a spam-bot in this case because the registration process requires the image verification which stops all the bots that I know of. So I'm guessing one of the spammers is going around signing up on forums and then letting the bot spam with their membership.

Richard

deb
09-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Did you see the piece on dateline about this kind of con-spam?

Richard Amiel McGough
09-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Did you see the piece on dateline about this kind of con-spam?
No, I didn't see that one, but I did see a news report about it, and have read about it from various sources. It appears that most of it comes from Nigeria.