PDA

View Full Version : Flood and water in the Bible

CWH
09-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi Beck,

Thanks for your thread "Fire used in the Bible" but I think you forgotten about the Flood and Water in the Bible. Flood also suggests destruction (and sorrow). Water is associated with cleansing as in purification by water baptism, sprinkling as in Deuteronomy and salvation such as the water of life. Since flood is formed by water and water forms flood both are inter-related. Since Flood is destruction of evil people with sorrow and Water is purification and salvation. Flood and Water in the Bible therefore represents the destruction of evil people with sorrow and the salvation of the righteous with purification.

]Flood as destruction and sorrow[/U]
Genesis 9:15
I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.

Joshua 3:15
Now the Jordan is at flood stage all during harvest. Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water's edge,

Job 20:28
A flood will carry off his house, rushing waters on the day of God's wrath.

Job 22:11
why it is so dark you cannot see, and why a flood of water covers you.

Job 22:16
They were carried off before their time, their foundations washed away by a flood.

Job 27:20
Terrors overtake him like a flood; a tempest snatches him away in the night.

Job 38:34
"Can you raise your voice to the clouds and cover yourself with a flood of water?

Psalm 6:6
I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears.

Psalm 88:17
All day long they surround me like a flood; they have completely engulfed me.

Psalm 124:4
the flood would have engulfed us, the torrent would have swept over us,

Isaiah 59:19
From the west, men will fear the name of the LORD, and from the rising of the sun, they will revere his glory. For he will come like a pent-up flood that the breath of the LORD drives along.

Daniel 9:26
After the sixty-two 'sevens,' the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed.

Daniel 11:10
His sons will prepare for war and assemble a great army, which will sweep on like an irresistible flood and carry the battle as far as his fortress.

Daniel 11:40
"At the time of the end the king of the South will engage him in battle, and the king of the North will storm out against him with chariots and cavalry and a great fleet of ships. He will invade many countries and sweep through them like a flood.

Hosea 5:10
Judah's leaders are like those who move boundary stones. I will pour out my wrath on them like a flood of water.

Nahum 1:8
but with an overwhelming flood he will make an end of Nineveh ; he will pursue his foes into darkness.

Malachi 2:13
Another thing you do: You flood the LORD's altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer pays attention to your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands.

Matthew 24:38
For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark;

Matthew 24:39
and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.

Luke 6:48
He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.

Luke 17:27
People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

1 Peter 4:4
They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you.

2 Peter 2:5
if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;

Water as purificaton and salvation (too many to list here so I just picked a few):
John 4:10
Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

Luke 3:16
John answered them all, "I baptize you with water.

Hebrews 10:22
let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

1 Peter 3:20
who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,

1 Peter 3:21
and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Revelation 22:17
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

Many Blessings.

Richard Amiel McGough
09-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Beck,

Thanks for your thread "Fire used in the Bible" but I think you forgotten about the Flood and Water in the Bible. Flood also suggests destruction (and sorrow). Water is associated with cleansing as in purification by water baptism, sprinkling as in Deuteronomy and salvation such as the water of life. Since flood is formed by water and water forms flood both are inter-related. Since Flood is destruction of evil people with sorrow and Water is purification and salvation. Flood and Water in the Bible therefore represents the destruction of evil people with sorrow and the salvation of the righteous with purification.

Flood as destruction and sorrow

Water as purificaton and salvation (too many to list here so I just picked a few):

Hey there Cheow, :yo:

Excellent thread. Water and Fire both have Positive and Negative aspects in Scripture.

And both symbols are used to describe the overcoming of sin, error, and wickedness. Fire "consumes" it and Water "washes it away."

And Scripture speaks of "baptism" by both Water and Fire.

And both are strong symbols of the Holy Spirit.

It is interesting that Rabbinic tradition sees the word shamayim (heaven) as a combination of Fire (Esh) and Water (Mayim).

These are fundamentally dual symbols. It is extremely interesting to see how they are used throughout the Bible.

Thanks for your insights.

Richard

Beck
09-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Cheow

You're right lets not forget the flood and water aspects. I mostly relate to flood as to what you quoted in Daniel 11:10
His sons will prepare for war and assemble a great army, which will sweep on like an irresistible flood and carry the battle as far as his fortress.

That a great army was as a flood that come upon them. The same usage is again in Daniel 9:26b and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood,[army] and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

Again in describing the woman of Revelation 12:15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood [army] after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood

Much like how Jeremiah described the prophecies against Egypt Jer.46:7-8 Who is this that cometh up as a flood, whose waters are moved as the rivers? Egypt riseth up like a flood, and his waters are moved like the rivers; and he saith, I will go up, and will cover the earth; I will destroy the city and the inhabitants thereof.

Again we can fine the reference to the river Euphrates in Revelation 9:14 where also fire is mentioned of those that sat on the horses and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone. All relating to destruction, but as Richard has pointed but these symbols have both good and bad connotations.

The other side of the flood is the water which as you described that we are washed and maked clean. Thanks for making that point.